UCI alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tic112

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.
I just checked my status online post-interview at UCI and found out that I am now on the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about this alternate list?
Can you get pulled off the list before May 15? Has there been much movement on this list in previous years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Tic112,

When were you interviewed? I interviewed early Jan and my status page did not change. Rejection pending?

tic112 said:
I just checked my status online post-interview at UCI and found out that I am now on the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about this alternate list?
Can you get pulled off the list before May 15? Has there been much movement on this list in previous years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Dec. 14 and also noticed today that I was put on the "alternate list." Boo! :thumbdown: to UCI!

tic112 said:

My boyfriend is an MSII at UCI and was pulled off the alternate list in June. He says it seems like many of his classmates came off that list, too. So there is hope.

Why are highly-qualified candidates being placed on the alternate list? IS the class at UCI full, thus, those who interviewed after december go straight on to the alternate list?

Hey tic112, I interviewed on 12/6 also and was put on the alternate list on 12/20....they didn't waste any time sending me to the hold pile :( This is my number one choice so I'm pretty disappointed. Any tips on how to get in off the list?

im not sure how much this affected my application, but after my interview i had the volunteer coordinator of the place ive volunteered at the past few years send an additional letter of recommendation to the admissions office. it was a very nice letter and has been a pretty significant experience for me. if i remember correctly, the dean of admissions suggested that we do this for any significant activity. in addition, i sent in an update letter restating my interest in the school and listing my most current grades. i heard back at the end of january after an interview around 12/15. i hope this helps. good luck!!!

Looks like today is the "being put on UCI's alternate list day." Interviewed 12/13 and put on the alternate list on 2/4 as well.

sdnstud said:
Why are highly-qualified candidates being placed on the alternate list? IS the class at UCI full, thus, those who interviewed after december go straight on to the alternate list?

Welcome to the club. The majority of people who interview get put on the alternate list so I wouldn't stress. From what I've heard, UCI is one of those schools that doesn't really start putting their class together until after they have interviewed everyone.

hey guys; i intereviewed on 3/1 and was accepted about 3 wks after. Ive withdrawn my acceptance which opens up a spot; best of luck for you waiting; uci is a cool place

Members don't see this ad :)
Haybrant said:
hey guys; i intereviewed on 3/1 and was accepted about 3 wks after. Ive withdrawn my acceptance which opens up a spot; best of luck for you waiting; uci is a cool place

Same here. I had a really tough time deciding but I withdrew from UCI last night. Hopefully one of you SDNers will get the spot.

thx guys for withdrawing! I'm here waiting for the spot :) Cross your fingers! ;)

bumpn

i added the n for NOW!!!

Ive been waiting for UCI since my interview in october got waitlisted in november. about 75% of UCIs class last year came off the waitlist after the 15th of may so stick in there everyone, and people who know they wont go withdraw quick please for all the rest of us. Hope to see the rest of you at UCI

Hey guys, I know we're "competing" here to get off the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to do to increase my chances of getting off the alternate list. I've been emailing them updates on my application and grades. I'll look into getting another letter of rec. But should I be physically calling them and showing interest? I can tell the admissions office people get annoyed when people call too much but I also know of an instance where someone (my cousin) could have got in Harvard if she called them. :confused:

pdcheung said:
Hey guys, I know we're "competing" here to get off the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest what to do to increase my chances of getting off the alternate list. I've been emailing them updates on my application and grades. I'll look into getting another letter of rec. But should I be physically calling them and showing interest? I can tell the admissions office people get annoyed when people call too much but I also know of an instance where someone (my cousin) could have got in Harvard if she called them. :confused:

You know, it's really whatever you feel comfortable with. If your peace of mind requires a phone call here and there I say go for it.

I REALLY hope we all hear something by the end of the month. I'd like to find a place to live before I go traveling for a month. Otherwise I'll only have one week to get my a$$ in gear! The neurotic pragmatist in me is praying very hard for an "early" acceptance :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I haven't called because I didn't want to annoy them....but if it gets later in June and I haven't heard...then I definitely will. I feel that I've already sent them all the updates about myself, and if I call now all I'll be able to say is "oH can I make sure I have everything completed?" and "what else can I do?".

Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)

Hey smartievan, I'm glad you chose to hold your Rochester acceptance. It is definitely the logical choice in your case. :thumbup:

I will be heading to Rush in Chicago if I don't get off the alternate list.

smartievan said:
I haven't called because I didn't want to annoy them....but if it gets later in June and I haven't heard...then I definitely will. I feel that I've already sent them all the updates about myself, and if I call now all I'll be able to say is "oH can I make sure I have everything completed?" and "what else can I do?".

Where are you guys scheduled to go to now if you don't get off the waitlist? I am heading to Rochester, NY. :)

smartievan said:

Boston U has my 500 bucks so it's back to New England for me :cool:

I'll be headed to Case Western if I don't go to Irvine. However, I'm strongly considering going to Case even if I do get accepted at UCI. For some reason, Cleveland's starting to look more appealing to me than southern CA.

smartievan said:

hey Van, what's about Oregon? any luck there ?

smartievan said:

Don't worry about annoying them, this will just hold you back.

Hi sdnstud, yeah I felt like Rochester was a better choice as well, and the financial aid package there was A LOT better than AE.

Love2bbruin-I'm still waitlisted at OHSU, ranked #105, haha. So that means I'm not getting off there for sure. However, I wasn't going to go there anyhow after getting Rochester's Fin Aid package.

Thx Crete for the advice. I will see what I can say to them and will try to call them soon.

I wonder when the waitlist will start moving...I know of a few people personally who withdrew recently, so I'm hoping the list will move soon! Good Luck guys!!! :rolleyes:

smartievan said:
Love2bbruin-I'm still waitlisted at OHSU, ranked #105, haha. So that means I'm not getting off there for sure. However, I wasn't going to go there anyhow after getting Rochester's Fin Aid package.

Good luck to you for UCI then...hoping good news is coming your way! Keep me updated! Where will your bf go ? UCLA ?

Hey guys,

I got the call from Dr. Peterson today offering me a spot at UCI. I was waitlisted back in January after interviewing in December. She knew that I was holding a spot at another UC, and she said I have a week to decide.

Good luck to everyone else waiting! :luck:

Hey NorCalGirl, are you considering UCI? Or are you set on UCSF?

I got an email from Gayle regarding my (official) placement on the alternate list. I assume everyone get this email, yea?

NorCalGirl said:
Hey guys,

I got the call from Dr. Peterson today offering me a spot at UCI. I was waitlisted back in January after interviewing in December. She knew that I was holding a spot at another UC, and she said I have a week to decide.

Good luck to everyone else waiting! :luck:

sdnstud said:
Hey NorCalGirl, are you considering UCI? Or are you set on UCSF?

I got an email from Gayle regarding my (official) placement on the alternate list. I assume everyone get this email, yea?

I think I'm pretty set on UCSF. There are some personal reasons that would make me think otherwise, but I think I know where I'm going.

I hope one of you gets that spot at UCI!

Congrats NorCalGirl! :) You have 2 great schools to decide from, but let us know if you're going to withdraw from Irvine!

Sdnstud, I also got the email about the alternate list. I was wondering if everyone who is waitlisted gets the email or did they do some initial cuts?

smartievan said:
Congrats NorCalGirl! :) You have 2 great schools to decide from, but let us know if you're going to withdraw from Irvine!

Sdnstud, I also got the email about the alternate list. I was wondering if everyone who is waitlisted gets the email or did they do some initial cuts?

i got that email today as well and was wondering the same thing. right now i can only dream of the day when i get that glorious phone call and i transform from alternate to admit. wallowing in waitlist purgatory sucks ass.

i got that email too. so what does it mean???
are they rejecting anybody or is everyone placed on that list?

does anyone know if the "alternate list" is ranked?

I know the alternate list isn't ranked for sure. Good Luck guys! ;)

I am another one on the alternate list. Interviewed last October and was on the list since then.

Does anyone has any idea about how big this alternate list is? I just want to have an idea about our chances.

Thanks,

A proud mom of a 9 week old baby girl

qinnu said:
I am another one on the alternate list. Interviewed last October and was on the list since then.

Does anyone has any idea about how big this alternate list is? I just want to have an idea about our chances.

Thanks,

A proud mom of a 9 week old baby girl

:) congratulations!!!!! :)

doesn't seem like anyone got rejected...

i wonder if everyone was automatically placed on this list

So now that we're "officially" on the alternate list, when should we start harrassing the office for updates? I'm REALLY hoping there's some significant movement by the end of the month.

Last night, I spent a long time reading UCI alternate list movement threads from previous years. Historically, applicants are officially placed on the alternate list the week following May 15th (which is the case this year). If history serves us well, there will be some movement next week (one week after the alternate list email). A second batch of acceptance is usually granted early June (first week of June) and then another batch of acceptance late June. There have been some movement in July in previous years, but not many.

Good luck everyone. :thumbup:

cammy1313 said:
So now that we're "officially" on the alternate list, when should we start harrassing the office for updates? I'm REALLY hoping there's some significant movement by the end of the month.

cammy1313 said:
Hey tic112, I interviewed on 12/6 also and was put on the alternate list on 12/20....they didn't waste any time sending me to the hold pile :( This is my number one choice so I'm pretty disappointed. Any tips on how to get in off the list?

Hey Cammy

At my interview, Dr Peterson made it very clear that sending letters, updates, etc are looked upon favorably. Set a new goal (she's a sports nut so maybe train for some athletic endeavor) and write about it.

Good luck

pdcheung said:

there is only so much you can do. the idea is to just show interest to distinguish yourself from those whose apps have been sitting there since October.

Hope to see you there.
Scrappy

scrappysurfer said:
Hey Cammy

At my interview, Dr Peterson made it very clear that sending letters, updates, etc are looked upon favorably. Set a new goal (she's a sports nut so maybe train for some athletic endeavor) and write about it.

Good luck

Thanks for the advise, scrappy. I suppose it couldn't hurt to let her know I'll be doing the Mud Run at Camp Pendelton in June, and a 5K Run for the San Diego Bloodbank the following weekend. I don't even know how I got talked into these things. I hate running! :laugh:

Hey guys, do you think it's too late to submit an additional letter of rec? I've already submitted 2 letters of intent/update letters. If I decide to send the LOR, can I have my writter send the letter directlyto UCI ? I went to UCB and usually send my letter through the career center. however, my career center account expired and they're asking for $20 to send one letter.

sdnstud said:
Hey guys, do you think it's too late to submit an additional letter of rec? I've already submitted 2 letters of intent/update letters. If I decide to send the LOR, can I have my writter send the letter directlyto UCI ? I went to UCB and usually send my letter through the career center. however, my career center account expired and they're asking for $20 to send one letter.

Hey sdnstud,

I submitted two additional LORs since my interview and just had my writers send them directly to the admissions office. They recieved them both and added them to my file without a problem. So definately go ahead and do that. Don't bother with any collection services and the like.

Thanks for the advise, scrappy. I suppose it couldn't hurt to let her know I'll be doing the Mud Run at Camp Pendelton in June, and a 5K Run for the San Diego Bloodbank the following weekend. I don't even know how I got talked into these things. I hate running!
Heh does attending a walk count?

sdnstud said:
Last night, I spent a long time reading UCI alternate list movement threads from previous years. Historically, applicants are officially placed on the alternate list the week following May 15th (which is the case this year). If history serves us well, there will be some movement next week (one week after the alternate list email). A second batch of acceptance is usually granted early June (first week of June) and then another batch of acceptance late June. There have been some movement in July in previous years, but not many.

Good luck everyone. :thumbup:
Great information! Thanks.

BUMP. We SHOULD see some alternate list movement this week and since Dr. Peterson likes to call acceptees sunday nights, I wanna BUMP this post.

sdnstud said:
BUMP. We SHOULD see some alternate list movement this week and since Mr. Peterson likes to call acceptees sunday nights, I wanna BUMP this post.

dr. peterson is female