Waiting for non-rolling schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunMimi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
o

Members don't see this ad.

Duke: Feb. 28 (send snail mail letters)
Harvard: March 8/9 (send snail mail letters)
Northwestern: ???
Penn: March 11 (Status page)
Yale: March 22 (send snail mail letters)
Columbia Second week in march (snail)
Pitt early March (snail?)

Duke: Feb. 28 (send snail mail letters)
Harvard: March 8/9 (send snail mail letters)
Northwestern: Feb 15 (date decisions are mailed)
Penn: March 11 (Status page)
Yale: March 22 (send snail mail letters)
Columbia Second week in march (snail)
Pitt early March (snail?)

Members don't see this ad :)
drat. this wait is already killing me...

I hope march never comes. i would like to delay receiving my duke rejection for as long as possible.

sockandmittens said:
drat. this wait is already killing me...

According to my monte carlo simulation, I think you will get into every school you interview at.

Back to champagne drinking :)

that's what i was told too. I thought the ad com (;)) began meeting mid-jan, and the decisions are sent out mid to late feb. A brief search of last year's thread also suggested that people find out by late feb.

edit: runmimi, i'm pretty sure about that 2/15 date. I was told that you should contact the office if you haven't heard anything by 2/22-ish.

The waiting is driving me nuts. I cant believe that some are so soon.

After the whole incredibly drawn out process, not even counting time spent on the MCAT, it looks like we're finally nearing the end.

(PS- this was a great idea for a thread , thanks RunMimi! :))

I think this might have been in another post but does anyone know what the deal is with Penn's status page.... will it say rejected or do they only waitlist the non-accepted post interview?

Sparky Man said:
Yeah, I bet most acceptances will be in March, but then there's this site that says an initial round of acceptances will go out Feb 18.

http://t1.berlinprod.com/accounts/columbia/columbiasite8/applying.htm
(and click "important dates" on the left)

I think Penn will let us know early March (but they're being purposefully vague...buggers). Totally loved that school. Sigh.

And Yale will also send out an acceptance email on 3/22. So, if you don't get the email, chances are you ain't gettin' the initial acceptance. Also buggers.

Re: Columbia - Dean Frantz told me that I would hear by late Feb, but also said not to get worried if I didn't hear until early March. So...that seems to combine previous posters' info, right?

What about Cornell? Mid-march, yes?

Treg said:
There is a message board on the Columbia website, that suggests it will be second week in March:

http://t1.berlinprod.com/accounts/columbia/columbiasite8/bbs.htm

I hope I am wrong though :D

Treg

i interviewed at columbia last year and the date they sent out the letters ended up being later than they said it would be. i think i remember that that was the case in previous years too. so, try to maintain your patience with them! good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, where on the Penn status page does it say March 11? I had been looking for a notification date earlier and must have completely missed it....

When I interviewed at Penn, I remember everyone saying mid-March including the first years. I remember someone mentioning the possibility that notification might be earlier, but not more than a week...

davidus said:
When I interviewed at Penn, I remember everyone saying mid-March including the first years. I remember someone mentioning the possibility that notification might be earlier, but not more than a week...

Well, from speaking to someone in the admissions office about update letters, this week is supposed to be the one when they start making final decisions.... :luck:.

I think the parts of the next 5-6 weeks I'm *least* looking forward to are:
1. stalking SDN for "breaking news" around known notification release dates to find out if anyone has heard and to figure out whether I'm behind the curve on hearing from schools....similar to when interview invites to particular schools were coming out in waves in early fall.

2. having to rely on my parents to hear about any snail-mail notices. I don't trust my school's campus mail, so everything goes home and that means no being able to run to the mailbox. Fortunately, my dad did a pretty good job of sugarcoating my long-anticipated rejection from UNC, so hopefully that bodes well for when I really need the sugarcoating :p

Any truth to the rumor that HST notifies earlier than NP?

yeah I don't trust campus mail but after my dad had notifications from THREE schools in his car one day while he was in Borders instead of keeping them with him in case I calledl, I've decided that I trust campus mail more...I called my dad that day and he says "oh yes you have mail from x, y, and z in the car but I'm in Borders now"...few hours later my mom calls me to tell me my dad has brought the letters home for her to open..."Dad, why didn't you open them at LEAST once you got to the car, let alone bring them in with you so I could know as soon as I called?"..."I couldn't see in the car it was too dark" he tells me...oy! ;)

ajt2003 said:
And Yale will also send out an acceptance email on 3/22. So, if you don't get the email, chances are you ain't gettin' the initial acceptance. Also buggers.
email?! man, that's hella lame. letters have much more class. if the planets align and i actually get in, i want something tangible. rubbish, i say. :smuggrin:

hey runmimi thanks for starting this great thread! i have all these dates floating around in my head but its nice to have them all in one place.

oh when i interviewed at penn on friday, they said they did not yet have an exact date in march when the decisions would be ready by so I'm not sure how much stock to put in the march 11th suggestion.

superdevil said:
email?! man, that's hella lame. letters have much more class. if the planets align and i actually get in, i want something tangible. rubbish, i say. :smuggrin:

You will, you will have something tangible! The letter will be sent out the same day - they're just sending out an email as well for those of us who are, oh shall we say, less than patient? Which, let's be honest, is probably everyone on this forum. ;)

SD, I take it you had a good experience at Yale?! That's great! Did you stand on the seal in the library and make a wish? Was it a good one?

I wonder when penn will at least release the date...I feel like it should be on their webpage instead of when the supplemental will be sent out ;) I think they just like to make us squirm! I'm trying not to give them the satisfaction...

bjackrian said:
Why do I live so far from Duke?? If they mail the 28th, I probably won't get the letter until at least Thursday or Friday! I hate waiting!

Had lunch today with an insider ('cause I do these sorts of things), who told me that med students and Duke adcom members call those who get in. So, while the letter is formal, a call is likely to accompany it.

Penn had its first selection meeting today! Eeks. Still no news on when everything'll go public though...

eee- how do you know these things? (ajt)

I thought schools had to have filled their classes by March 15. How can Yale send out on the 22nd? Grr! Why would one of my top choices be the slowest!?!

BTW, has everyone who interviewed at Yale been getting financial aid application info in the mail? Are we supposed to fill this out now or wait until we hear something? (Sorry for the tangent. :oops: )

Yale : because they can.

Yeah- the packet isn't due until after we hear tho if i remember correctly. i'm not sure what to do with those for all the other schools at which technically i'm holding a spot at. for a moment when i saw the packet, my breathe stopped and i wondered if they had made a mistake and were letting me in early... not even a letter saying we're sorry for making you submit financial information before we can let you know whether or not you got in...

sockandmittens said:
eee- how do you know these things? (ajt)
Hehe. Let's just say I have people in high places (and who are friends with the Deans of Admissions and who like to walk by the Admissions Office, like, 3000 times a day). ;)

ajt2003 said:
Hehe. Let's just say I have people in high places (and who are friends with the Deans of Admissions and who like to walk by the Admissions Office, like, 3000 times a day). ;)

I should confess that something bothered me quite a bit about Penn, and I am not sure whether it is reportable to the AAMC. The admissions office is the same as the financial aid office. This, I think, creates a serious conflict of interest. I noticed a few odd things during my visit, and I have spoken to a few people who were accepted last year, and who also had trouble with the financial aid policy being linked to admissions. At Northwestern, dean Brown and I taked about these sorts of arrangements, and she said she recently removed the financial aid office from admissions because of the potential for conflicts to arise. The same is true of dean Armstrong at Duke and the Yale operation. So, I am a little mystified as to why UPenn's operation hasn't raised more than a few eyebrows. I was quite disturbed by this.

sockandmittens said:
Yale : because they can.

Yeah- the packet isn't due until after we hear tho if i remember correctly. i'm not sure what to do with those for all the other schools at which technically i'm holding a spot at. for a moment when i saw the packet, my breathe stopped and i wondered if they had made a mistake and were letting me in early... not even a letter saying we're sorry for making you submit financial information before we can let you know whether or not you got in...

Me too! I saw that packet and saw how thick it was and I was like, Woohoo! So are you going to go ahead and fill out your app? I think I'm going to email 'em and touch base. This is going to be the hardest month to wait.

DianaLynne said:
Me too! I saw that packet and saw how thick it was and I was like, Woohoo! So are you going to go ahead and fill out your app? I think I'm going to email 'em and touch base. This is going to be the hardest month to wait.

You should definitely fill them out ASAP. Richard Silvermann gave the whole speech about why you should fill them out as soon as you can. Did he give you that speech when you interviewed? In any case, this way, you can get your financial aid offer along with your admissions (cause honey, looking at your stats, there ain't no way you're getting anything less) come March. He said it doesn't have to be accurate. So, send that baby in ASAP.

Oh Diana!

superdevil said:

Mr.devil,

I am disappointed... I was expecting some nice pictures of Simpson

GuyLaroche said:
Had lunch today with an insider ('cause I do these sorts of things), who told me that med students and Duke adcom members call those who get in. So, while the letter is formal, a call is likely to accompany it.

so a call on the 28th.. i am going to go crazy at work that day...damn damn damn..hope they call.. :confused:

bump...

and for the record, there are non-rolling state schools too: I'm trying not to think about it, but UNM sends out snail mail on march 15th...

RunMimi said:
It seems like a lot of people to call in one day. I wouldn't give up hope if you didn't hear.

They enlist the services of medical school students. Incidentally, I just ran into my earpiece, who informed me that she just got an e-mail from the dean of admissions informing them of when they'll have to call accepted students. Also, she said the 28th of February may not be the actual date they call because in the past, they've been a bit late in informing selected applicants.

GuyLaroche said:
They enlist the services of medical school students. Incidentally, I just ran into my earpiece, who informed me that she just got an e-mail from the dean of admissions informing them of when they'll have to call accepted students. Also, she said the 28th of February may not be the actual date they call because in the past, they've been a bit late in informing selected applicants.

Yay inside information! Keep us posted, Guy! :thumbup:

Not that I'm nervous and frantically waiting to hear from them or anything.

Based on this forum, people who think "March Madness" only applies to college basketball clearly never applied to non-rolling med schools. :laugh: 2 more weeks!!!! :eek:

Why is NU part of this list when it seems that numerous people have already been accepted?

Upitt spilled the beans today... guess its not official, but pretty cool anyhow!

seethrew said:
Upitt spilled the beans today... guess its not official, but pretty cool anyhow!

seethrew, how did you find out you got into UPitt? e-mail, snailmail, etc?

CalGoldenBear said:

I'm trying to login into UPitt's status page, is anybody else having trouble with it?? If I can't login, is it a rejection? (it's post-interview) :scared:

I had trouble logging in as well, but then it worked and looked no different than it has for months (post-interview).

:luck: Treg

PS I too am curious how seethrew found out...

CalGoldenBear said:

It was unofficial, included in a message from an adcom person via email. DO NOT FREAK OUT... they just told me to anticipate my acceptance. I got the sense it was not a mass email, so dismiss as an anomoly, please! :) Take home message is that acceptances will be in the mail in a few weeks.

seethrew said:
It was unofficial, included in a message from an adcom person via email. DO NOT FREAK OUT... they just told me to anticipate my acceptance. I got the sense it was not a mass email, so dismiss as an anomoly, please! :) Take home message is that acceptances will be in the mail in a few weeks.

Thank God....I was starting to freak out ;) Treg, I was able to login a couple of minutes ago so I guess it was like the status page was down. Seethrew, congrats!!!!! I wish an AdCom would e-mail me :D with good news

seethrew said:

I got it too - not sure how unusual it is.

kikkoman said:
I got it too - not sure how unusual it is.

When did you guys interview at UPitt?

Tristy said:

Mid-october. Mine was kind of related to the academic medicine scholarship thing, so maybe that's the link.

Tristy said:
mid-september.
who knows how unusual it is.
made me feel special anyway dammit! :)

seethrew said:
It was unofficial, included in a message from an adcom person via email. DO NOT FREAK OUT... they just told me to anticipate my acceptance. I got the sense it was not a mass email, so dismiss as an anomoly, please! Take home message is that acceptances will be in the mail in a few weeks.

I think my neuroticism just hit about a 9.5.