OFFICIAL Mt. SINAI ENTERING CLASS OF 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. AYY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see who is going to Mt. Sinai next year? What your greatest expectations are? and What questions about the program we each have?

Members don't see this ad.

I "may" be in your class this coming August (depends on some non-rolling schools). What I hear is that Sinai is pretty chill. The student body tends to be pretty close and friendly. For me, I'm searching for balance in my life. I think Sinai provides a good environment for that.

palminator2003 said:
I "may" be in your class this coming August (depends on some non-rolling schools). What I hear is that Sinai is pretty chill. The student body tends to be pretty close and friendly. For me, I'm searching for balance in my life. I think Sinai provides a good environment for that.

Well I hope you get your top choice school, even if it isn't MSSM ;) That is what I hear too, everyone is soooo happy and I can't seem to find anyone that will give me the nitty gritty about what if anything is not optimal. Everyone I spoke to loves the place and has absolutely no coplaints, seems a bit odd but I am definetely not complaining:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. AYY said:
Well I hope you get your top choice school, even if it isn't MSSM ;) That is what I hear too, everyone is soooo happy and I can't seem to find anyone that will give me the nitty gritty about what if anything is not optimal. Everyone I spoke to loves the place and has absolutely no coplaints, seems a bit odd but I am definetely not complaining:)

Actually, Sinai was THE school that I said to myself that I'd be really happy at even if no one else took me; so now I'm totally stoked :cool: Everything else is just gravy right now. I actually have seen several schools where the students were totally happy. It really depends on the individual school culture I guess. If you really want to nit-pick, you can say that Sinai doesn't have an overarching University structure to support it. However, that isn't a big deal for me so, IMHO it's going to be a pretty good four years. :)

Dr. AYY said:

one fourth year student mentioned that the administration can at times be slow to inform its students of upcoming deadlines/events... just a counterpoint

palminator2003 said:
Actually, Sinai was THE school that I said to myself that I'd be really happy at even if no one else took me; so now I'm totally stoked :cool: Everything else is just gravy right now. I actually have seen several schools where the students were totally happy. It really depends on the individual school culture I guess. If you really want to nit-pick, you can say that Sinai doesn't have an overarching University structure to support it. However, that isn't a big deal for me so, IMHO it's going to be a pretty good four years. :)

I completely feel you. I was sooo stoked when I got the acceptance. Its not that I am trying to find something bad about the place, its more like I am trying to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreamin (Sinai is a dream school for me).

Well I would love to get to know those I will be classmates with next year so why don't we all introdue ourselves. I'll start:

I am 23, will be 24 when we start. I was bon in Israel and lived in Miami most of my life. I went to the University of Florida (Microbio major) and have been doing reserch on Cancer MRI for the past 3 years.

Who's next? :confused:

I have been accepted to MSSM, but I have some concerns. Not sure if any of you have heard this, but I heard the hospital is having financial problems and the ranking is gonna drop? any thoughts,

peace

WERD11 said:
I have been accepted to MSSM, but I have some concerns. Not sure if any of you have heard this, but I heard the hospital is having financial problems and the ranking is gonna drop? any thoughts,

peace

I heard the hospital is having financial problems but don't know anything about the ranking. It is a great school but not being part of a university has some drawbacks as well.

Dr. AYY said:
I completely feel you. I was sooo stoked when I got the acceptance. Its not that I am trying to find something bad about the place, its more like I am trying to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreamin (Sinai is a dream school for me).

Well I would love to get to know those I will be classmates with next year so why don't we all introdue ourselves. I'll start:

I am 23, will be 24 when we start. I was bon in Israel and lived in Miami most of my life. I went to the University of Florida (Microbio major) and have been doing reserch on Cancer MRI for the past 3 years.

OK, I'll bite.
I"m 27. I am a New York resident for life. Went to school at Columbia (chemistry) and have been working since graduation.

palminator2003 said:
OK, I'll bite.
I"m 27. I am a New York resident for life. Went to school at Columbia (chemistry) and have been working since graduation.

Thats what I'm talking about my Sinai familia. Keep them coming

(On a side note, the financial foes of the institution where actually a topic discussed in my interview. I asked what the interviewer thought was the greatest weakness of Sinai? He bluntly answered that the last President of the Hospital and therfore the school used the resources available for his benefit, he made some really bad financial decisions in order to advance his carreer [he is attempting to be the next Surgeon General]. Therfore, Sinai suffered the consequences anf the financial difficulties following his tenure. He went on to say that the new President is an amazing individual that has been able to start the rebuilding process and although it is not where it was before the previous President it is gradually getting there.

So that is the story I got during my actual interview.

As for the ranking change, I am not sure about that and you might be right (not to mention you might be wrong :) ) but I see your logic :idea:

If there are financial issues,then reason states that some research project funding might be cut. Therefore when the US News and World Report comes to get stats such as research funding then MSSM might not be as high as before (although considering most of the funding is NSF and NIH the number shouldn't drastically change).
HOWEVER, the clinical education that we will attain at Mt. Sinai should not be adversely affected, if it is it shouldn't be drastic (at least I hope not :scared:)

Let me know what you guys think about this and continue the intros :thumbup:

Hey Guys. I might also be going to MSSM too - it's the school I liked the most out of the ones that like me right now! :D

What have you guys heard about the clinical experiences at MSSM? All the NYU vs MSSM threads make my head spin! :confused:

housemd said:
I heard the hospital is having financial problems but don't know anything about the ranking. It is a great school but not being part of a university has some drawbacks as well.

I think the financial problems were pretty severe about three years ago, supposedly they lost somewhere in the billions of dollars from the hospital endowment? What we were told then was that the school of medicine had a different endowment and wouldn't really be affected, but I do know anecdotally that more than a few people chose not to go there because of the shape of the hospital.

kakashi said:
Hey Guys. I might also be going to MSSM too - it's the school I liked the most out of the ones that like me right now! :D

What have you guys heard about the clinical experiences at MSSM? All the NYU vs MSSM threads make my head spin! :confused:

My info - (go non-trads!)
mdapplicants profile

I may be a little biased, but the clinical experience is supposed to be very good. You have Sinai which does most of the tertiary care as well as primary care. Plus you have Elmhurst, where you get a really diverse patient population. There's probably more, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
palminator2003 said:
I may be a little biased, but the clinical experience is supposed to be very good. You have Sinai which does most of the tertiary care as well as primary care. Plus you have Elmhurst, where you get a really diverse patient population. There's probably more, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. :D

you guys are going to scare people; its not like Sinai is bankrupt. It is still a great school with a great reputation, especially on the east coast. The funding will be there

housemd said:
you guys are going to scare people; its not like Sinai is bankrupt. It is still a great school with a great reputation, especially on the east coast. The funding will be there

N'yah wasn't me :smuggrin:

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I think its a good discussion to have. I enjoyed my visit to Sinai and am strongly considering going, but before I make a decision I'd like to have all the answers. It's pretty common knowledge to all my friends who live in NYC and are pre-med or med students that their hospital has had financial problems, so I don't think we should hide that.

I definitely agree with werd##. It is important to know all he details since this is one of the most important decision of our lives to date. I was wondering if anyone knows the exact date that classes begin? Thanks :D

My brother's there and he absolutely loves it. The hospital stopped losing money last year (3 years ahead of the so-called "turnaround" phase). The med school endowment is still huge, and growing. And, as for US News rankings, they should jump again this year because the first year class had one of the highest average MCAT scores in the country--33.2--even in the midst of the financial rumors that have since quieted down. They are already beginning major new construction projects in the school, buying all new furniture/renovating aron hall, and establishing funding for international rotations "all expenses paid."

CheckMate said:
Hi Abe-- I didn't hear anything international rotations (expense free) or Aron Hall being renovated during the tour/on interview day! But, that's cool nonetheless! Do you know if those programs/improvements will be ready for this incoming class or will we have to suffer through the new construction on "campus" during our first year?

I greatly enjoyed MSSM and am also seriously considering attending. Has any other acceptee received notice about 2nd look weekend? Do you know when it is? Thanks!

I don't remember hearing anything about renovations or international stuff either, although they said the redid the basketball court at aron hall, does that count as renovation :) . I hope those things are true though, I really want to do international missions and if they help me pay for it I am even more about it. So anyone know about the dates for Second look and First Day of classes (orientation)?

thanks for clearing up the financial stuff Abe. Makes me more interested in attending.

CheckMate said:
I think I remember first day of classes being in August...but I don't remember the exact date! I'd also love to study abroad for a short while--I wish I remembered to ask about this on my interview day.

This is kind of a random question, but do you know if anatomy is a yearlong or semester course at MSSM and only during first year (that is not stretched into 2nd year)? Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is a one semester course because when I interviewed there they took us into the anatomy lab and there were no cadavors because they had completed the class. (I interviewed late January) So my logic deduces that it is a semester course only, but I am sure the website with the curricullum on it has the specifics.

CheckMate said:
Hi Abe-- I didn't hear anything international rotations (expense free) or Aron Hall being renovated during the tour/on interview day! But, that's cool nonetheless! Do you know if those programs/improvements will be ready for this incoming class or will we have to suffer through the new construction on "campus" during our first year?

I greatly enjoyed MSSM and am also seriously considering attending. Has any other acceptee received notice about 2nd look weekend? Do you know when it is? Thanks!

From my visit, they are definitely replacing ALL of the furniture in Aron Hall. I'm not so sure about renovations. As for second look weekends, I could be wrong, but I don't think Sinai has one.

Dr. AYY said:
I am pretty sure it is a one semester course because when I interviewed there they took us into the anatomy lab and there were no cadavors because they had completed the class. (I interviewed late January) So my logic deduces that it is a semester course only, but I am sure the website with the curricullum on it has the specifics.

anatomy is definitely one semester. actually, don't even think it lasts the entire 1st semester.

Hey everyone,

So I figured i'd call the office of admissions and ask them some of our questions. Here are the results.

:confused: Q: When do classes start? A: :idea: Did not officially know but last year was August 9th so she said it would be around then.

:confused: Q:When is the second look weekend? A: :idea: Friday May 6th and Saturday May 7th

The anatomy question we already figured out for ourselves ;) .

Here's a new question:
Q: How long did it take for you to recieve your official acceptance package in the mail?

Ok one more question:
Q: So does anyone else want to introduce themselves?

P.S. The main reason I called was to make sure the e-mail I got wasn't just a hoax by a friend (it was like pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming :sleep: ). The result: I am actually in :D

Dr. AYY said:

Ooh, this is so much fun! You guys sound nice already :)

I'm 22, will be 23 when we start classes (how about that early August date! Goodness!). I was born and raised and "schooled" in Providence, RI (Latin and Greek major), and I'm working during my year off teaching high school Latin classes.

My favorite color is green.

My favorite flavor of icecream is mint chocolate chip ;)

I haven't received my acceptance package yet. I'd give it another week and then freak out :eek: It's probably a "big envelope" so that might take longer :)

Oh yeah, my favorite color is blue. My favorite icecream is strawberry, though mint chocolate chip is a close second :p

New Question: What is your favorite TV show?

palminator2003 said:
I haven't received my acceptance package yet. I'd give it another week and then freak out :eek: It's probably a "big envelope" so that might take longer :)

Oh yeah, my favorite color is blue. My favorite icecream is strawberry, though mint chocolate chip is a close second :p

New Question: What is your favorite TV show?

An addendum to my brief bio:
Favorite color: Yellow
Favorite Ice cream: Cookies and cream
Favorite TV show: Scrubs
NEW ONE: Favorite Candy bar: Reeses peanut butter cups

Dr. AYY said:
An addendum to my brief bio:
Favorite color: Yellow
Favorite Ice cream: Cookies and cream
Favorite TV show: Scrubs
NEW ONE: Favorite Candy bar: Reeses peanut butter cups

about the second look, when I sent Kelli-ann an e-mail, she mentioned that I should set aside May 6th and 7th (or sometimes in early may), so I assume that those are the potential second look dates.

favorite color: blue
favorite ice cream: triple espresso gelato (close enough) at Ciao Bella
favorite tv show: espn college game day!
new one: favorite places to eat in nyc: alice's tea cup, chikalicious, sakagura!

adding favorite music: the shins, the postal service, and anything ella!

Favorite color: Blue
Favorite ice cream: Strawberry Favorite TV show: The Apprentice
Favorite places to eat in NYC: Peter Lugar's, Lannam, Tattany
Favorite candy bar: Snickers
Favorite singer/group: None really, though I am liking Celia Cruz.
New Question: Favorite Children's Character/Cartoon: Spongebob Squarepants

anyone here who chose Sinai get into NYUi? if so, why'd you pick sinai?

Have any of you guys received the housing/drug testing packet from Sinai yet? I'm just curious about the timeframe for the substance testing... I assume we have to do it before classes start, but I didn't see any specifics.

Favorite places to eat in NYC: I feel sadly unqualified to answer this question :-(
Favorite candy bar: do York Peppermint Patties count?
Favorite singer/group: Aimee Mann
Favorite cartoon character: Captain Planet!

As for NYU, I was accepted there as well but have called to withdraw (oops, thought they didn't tell people until MARCH). For me, it was mostly a nice fuzzy gut feeling I had at Sinai versus apathy at NYU, though the housing situation at NYU definitely factored into my decision. The schools are really, truly comparable academically- from all the expert opinions I've gotten- so I went with my gut :)

EllieElle said:
Favorite cartoon character: Captain Planet!

OMG! How can you like Captain Planet? :rolleyes: Not only are the powers and the premise lame, but it is the most blatant agenda driven mockery of a cartoon I've ever seen. Heck, even the pseudo-science used to justify the universe is not particularly believable. Horrid cartoon. It must burn! Burn I say! :smuggrin:

wow i'm really behind.... what a thread tho!

Let's see, i'm a youngin'... 21, a senior in college still.
Absolutely fell in love with sinai when I interviewed and screamed when i got in :D

now onto the important things....
fave cartoon figure: he-man ( LOVE him; thundercats...tho not a cartoon figure close second)
fave color: red
fave snack: m&ms
fave ice cream: chocolate chip cookie dough
fave show: friends, OC (I know they're not all that great of actors but I love the drama :p ); and Law and Order SVU

i think i'm forgetting something. but I can't wait to meet you all at 2nd look weekend! :D

palminator2003 said:
OMG! How can you like Captain Planet? :rolleyes: Not only are the powers and the premise lame, but it is the most blatant agenda driven mockery of a cartoon I've ever seen. Heck, even the pseudo-science used to justify the universe is not particularly believable. Horrid cartoon. It must burn! Burn I say! :smuggrin:

OMG yourself! :p How can you, who love Spongebob Squarepants and the extremely tenuous grasp on marine biology that the writers seem to have, criticize my love of Captain Planet? (I mean that in good fun- I have no real beef with Spongebob Squarepants save that the kids who come to the marine biology camp I work at don't believe me when I show them the red sponges that grow in our Bay. ("It's not square! Where are the clothes?!"))

Seriously, had a giant crush on Captain Planet when I was younger- must have been the green hair. Went on to date a guy with blue spiky hair in high school, so it must be a trend :love:

anyone remember the name of the housing complex across the street on the side from sinai? the ones that they show you on the tour w/ the three bedroom apartments? (subsidized housing etc.)....

I got the packet of info on housing and none of the names ring a bell. Thanks!

chumpana said:
anyone remember the name of the housing complex across the street on the side from sinai? the ones that they show you on the tour w/ the three bedroom apartments? (subsidized housing etc.)....

I got the packet of info on housing and none of the names ring a bell. Thanks!

There's only one housing complex for single medical students. It's called Aron hall. I believe it is mostly 4 or 6 person suites.

palminator2003 said:
There's only one housing complex for single medical students. It's called Aron hall. I believe it is mostly 4 or 6 person suites.

i just got placed on the alternate list. Anyone get off the alternate list this cycle? what are the chances of being accepted off the alternate list anyways?

EllieElle said:
OMG yourself! :p How can you, who love Spongebob Squarepants and the extremely tenuous grasp on marine biology that the writers seem to have, criticize my love of Captain Planet? (I mean that in good fun- I have no real beef with Spongebob Squarepants save that the kids who come to the marine biology camp I work at don't believe me when I show them the red sponges that grow in our Bay. ("It's not square! Where are the clothes?!"))

Seriously, had a giant crush on Captain Planet when I was younger- must have been the green hair. Went on to date a guy with blue spiky hair in high school, so it must be a trend :love:

Ellie and <colored hair dude> sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love :love: Then comes marriage :eek: Then comes a <colored hair kid> in a baby carriage :p :laugh:

OK, enough regressing for me. It's just so fun sometimes :)

chumpana said:
i think i'm forgetting something. but I can't wait to meet you all at 2nd look weekend! :D

I just came up with a really cool idea. :idea: Let's all play "clue" and try and figure out each others SDN screen names during 2nd look weekend. With all this info, it'll be like our (not so) secret handshake or something ;)

Dr. AYY said:
Here's a new question:
Q: How long did it take for you to recieve your official acceptance package in the mail?

Ok one more question:
Q: So does anyone else want to introduce themselves?

A: I just called the admissions office. It should be about 3 weeks after the acceptance email (at least for my case).

A: Yeah, where are all our friendly, ehehem, colleagues?

palminator2003 said:
I just came up with a really cool idea. :idea: Let's all play "clue" and try and figure out each others SDN screen names during 2nd look weekend. With all this info, it'll be like our (not so) secret handshake or something ;)

hmm... what if we guess the wrong person and go up to a non-SDNer and freak them out? :p ... i'm in

Hey guys! I'm also in the class of 2009 and SO excited. I love Mt. Sinai. I was wondering if any of you have heard anything about financial aid and when they want us to submit FAFSA, etc. Can't wait to meet you all at second look weekend.

TheUglyOne said:
Hey guys! I'm also in the class of 2009 and SO excited. I love Mt. Sinai. I was wondering if any of you have heard anything about financial aid and when they want us to submit FAFSA, etc. Can't wait to meet you all at second look weekend.

Welcome to the thread TheUglyOne. Feel free to introduce yourself. As for the financial aid, it never hurts to submit the stuff early. Plus, you can schedule a meeting with the financial aid people any time. So, I suggest you call them up and start working on those forms. :thumbup:

CheckMate said:
Anyone remember from the financial aid meeting if there are any merit/non-need awards? Thanks!

I think Mt. Sinai doesn't offer merit awards. I think it's based on need only.

CheckMate said:
Anyone remember from the financial aid meeting if there are any merit/non-need awards? Thanks!

Hey CheckMate, a Sinai MS1 here. I remember hearing last year that Sinai actually doesn't give out full merit scholarships like they used to anymore, but they do tend to be generous with giving scholarship money to help defray the costs of tuition.

As for the 2nd Look, I know last year we were told we would have one, but it never panned out. I ended up visiting Sinai in May with a friend who was also accepted and we stayed with his student host and checked out the school/area. So, if the 2nd Look doesn't work out again, this would be a worthwhile option to pursue.

Anatomy's not even a full semester, though it does occupy the majority of it along with Molecules and Cells, our biochem/molecular bio course. I personally loved anatomy, Dr. Laitman makes it a pretty enjoyable experience.

For those of you still on the fence about Sinai, let me warn you that it's difficult to guage "how cool/relaxed the students are" from just one interview day. At many schools last year (including Sinai), I felt that students were very cool/relaxed, only to find that when I speak to friends this year who go to these schools they mention that their peers are pretty stressed. This is what 2nd looks for in my opinion, when you can meet your prospective classmates and ask the faculty all of your burning questions (so even if Sinai doesn't offer a formal 2nd look, make sure you come anyways before making your decision).

For me, Sinai's the perfect school since it's straight Pass/Fail for the first 2 years (this is HUGE, I can't stress this enough), the faculty is very supportive, it's in NYC, and my classmates in general are very fun to hang around with. I can't imagine another school I'd rather be attending.

palminator2003 said:
Ellie and <colored hair dude> sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love :love: Then comes marriage :eek: Then comes a <colored hair kid> in a baby carriage :p :laugh:

OK, enough regressing for me. It's just so fun sometimes :)

Awwww yeah :D

So far, I have the following people thinking about/planning to go to a 2nd look weekend at Sinai.

Dr. Ayy
Checkmate
EllieElle
chumpana
TheUglyOne
palminator2003

If I missed anyone, feel free to add to the list.

I love Mount Sinai, just had to say that :love: :love: :love:

palminator2003 said:
So far, I have the following people thinking about/planning to go to a 2nd look weekend at Sinai.

Dr. Ayy
Checkmate
EllieElle
chumpana
TheUglyOne
palminator2003
MSSM2008

If I missed anyone, feel free to add to the list.

Hey guys, looks like I'll be joining you as well. I'm 22 from New York, and I graduated from Barnard College. Here go the rest of my stats:

Favorite Color:Blue, particularly Cerulean from Crayola.
Favorite Snack:Now & Laters
Favorite Ice Cream:Butter Pecan
Favorite Show:I like Scrubs, and I recently got into Law & Order SVU
Favorite Movies:I love horror movies.
Favorite Music:I listen to everything. Right now I'm feeling reggaeton.

Hopefully I'll see you guys in the second look weekend if there is one :)