MS that can actually be finished in 1 yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpduck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I need some advice. I am pre-dental, my gpa is 2.98, and most likely will be 3.0 or higher after this semester. After applying to schools this year, I've only recieved one interview and I'm still waiting to hear the result. I'm looking for post-bacc/masters options for next year in the event I get rejected. I know there are plenty of post-bacc programs that can be completed in one year, but most "one year masters" I've been reading about take 1.5 yrs unless you are exceptional (IE-UMDNJ). I really don't think i will need more then a year of classes to get me in, of course as long as I do well.

So given the chance I'd prefer masters over post-bacc due to it being a degree, something to show for that year rather then just classes. (I know, kind of a silly reason)

So are there any actual "one year masters" that can actually be completed in one year?

Members don't see this ad.

Correction.....I know that Tulane offers one that can actually be complete in 1 year......any others?

the oft discussed, maligned, lauded, whatever, place on the potomac-Georgopolitan Especial Short Bus programe

Members don't see this ad :)
georgetown Special masters program...1 year but you need to have taken the mcat or GRE...its geared for premeds mainly...u get a MS in physiology

gintien said:
georgetown Special masters program...1 year but you need to have taken the mcat or GRE...its geared for premeds mainly...u get a MS in physiology

I know BU's program is receptive to pre-dental, anyone else have suggestions?

Rosalind Franklin offers a straight-up, non-thesis masters program. Starts in Aug/Sep and ends in May.

Georgetown's is one year but it's a full calendar year because you're required to do the MCAT prep thingy over the summer (at least this was true when I looked at it eons ago, you might wanna double check).

BU you have to write a thesis which is what lengthens it to a full year, 1.5 years. However, plenty finish it in 1 yr so they can start med school that very fall. YOu just have to find an advisor that understands your goal (and there are plenty so no worries there).

I know a lot of one year MS programs actually. I'm a little confused though...

Are you looking for a masters program from 2005-2006 or 2006-2007? I'm a little confused by what you mean when you say next year. I've got a massive list of postbac enrichment programs that I will probably post on this forum around May. Hopefully it will be somewhat helpful.

What standardized tests have you taken or do you plan on taking? I ask this because some one-year masters will require the MCAT only, MCAT or GRE, GRE only, or other tests such as the DAT.

What type of masters programs are you considering? Because there's MS programs in stuff like Nutrition and Chemistry that aren't pre-professional specific...Or are you looking for something more broad in scope, such as biomedical sciences?

And are you specifically looking for an MS or does it not matter as long as it's a one-year masters? I ask this because there are one year MA science degrees and one-year MBS degrees too. For example, the BU program mentioned above is an MA degree.

I don't know how dental schools assess different pre-professional MS programs, so I wouldn't really recommend any.

A couple of corrections...

Tulane offers FOUR programs that can be completed in one year. Three are non-thesis MS programs (Pharm, Genetics, Cell/Molecular) and one is an anatomy certificate program for students waitlisted at US med schools.

Also, Rosalind Franklin (formerly Finch) begins in July I believe.

EDIT: Cammy's right: Rosalind Franklin starts August :oops:

P.S. Your location says Baltimore--I know for a fact that you can get an MS in Phyiology from the University of Maryland on their med campus. That would probably be pretty inexpensive too (assuming you're a Maryland resident).

Indiana U./Purdue U. Indianapolis has 1 year non-thesis MS that feeds into both the med and dental school. placement is very high for the program. plenty of people in my class did it.

clkimmey said:
Indiana U./Purdue U. Indianapolis has 1 year non-thesis MS that feeds into both the med and dental school. placement is very high for the program. plenty of people in my class did it.
Yep, the one-year pre-professional, non-thesis MS in Biology. I was told the success rate for med schools (allopathic and osteopathic) is about 50% over the past 11 years. But the "vast majority" are allopathic. I don't know about the dental success. I was originally interested in Indiana's MS in Cellular and Integrative Physiology, but it's been cancelled for 2005. :thumbdown:

I'm looking for the 2005-2006 academic year, starting next Aug going to May/June 2006 (2 semesters and maybe some summer work). I have not nor will take the MCAT, but I have taken the DAT and some programs I believe will take that.

Actually I'm only about 10 mins from UMB so I'll have to check out that program....(hopefully its only 1 yr)

Oh and I'd like it to be focused on biomedical/medical science/ hard science. I figure that would help me not only get into dental school, but also be more prepared.

Colorado State (one year), Kirksville (usually two b/c of thesis), UMDNJ MBS (one year, different than the MS), and Case MS Applied Anatomy (one year, if it still exists) have one-year programs that I'm pretty sure take the DAT. I know there are other pre-professional one-year master's programs that are dental-friendly, but typically the applications I've seen specify MCAT-only, GRE-only, or either of the two. But I could be wrong, I never really inquired about whether other tests like the DAT, PCAT, OCAT, etc. could substitute.

Edit: here's links for Maryland's MS in Physiology that can be completed in one-year:

Program description: http://physiology.umaryland.edu/graduate training/#masters

Financial info:
http://www.fincsvc.umaryland.edu/sa/images/grad.pdf

If you request info to be sent to you, you'll get a lot more info (there's a lot that's not mentioned on the website)

Members don't see this ad :)
whatsup Phil
If you are not too busy, would you be able to post that massive one yr. masters list a.s.a.p..........really appreciate it bro
thanx

Thanks a lot Phil!

gujuDoc said:
Correction, BU has 2 options.

One is 1 yr nonthesis and the other is 2 yr thesis. You can pick which one you want to do.
Cammy is a successful graduate of BU's program, so she's more qualified to comment on this than I am.

But anyway, BU can be completed in one year with either a "library-based thesis" (my understanding is it's more like a review, but I could be wrong) OR a library/lab combo thesis (rare, but some do this). There are similar "non-thesis" pre-professional programs that require you to write a scientific review article for publication (e.g. UNMC), which is analogous to the "library-thesis" of BU's MA Med Sci program. But by BU's definition, the library-based research paper IS considered a thesis. So I believe Cammy is correct.
HussainGQ said:
whatsup Phil
If you are not too busy, would you be able to post that massive one yr. masters list a.s.a.p..........really appreciate it bro
thanx
Sorry man, I'm really busy at the moment. Plus, I've got to actually type the thing out...so it'll be awhile, but I'll try and get around to it. And the list includes 1-2 year programs. The 1-year programs are harder to find.

I see that you are in Baltimore. Hopkins has an MS in Biotechnology that can be completed in a year. There is also a one yr MHS in Reproductive Biology at the school of Public Health.

cammy1313 said:
Rosalind Franklin offers a straight-up, non-thesis masters program. Starts in Aug/Sep and ends in May.

Georgetown's is one year but it's a full calendar year because you're required to do the MCAT prep thingy over the summer (at least this was true when I looked at it eons ago, you might wanna double check).

BU you have to write a thesis which is what lengthens it to a full year, 1.5 years. However, plenty finish it in 1 yr so they can start med school that very fall. YOu just have to find an advisor that understands your goal (and there are plenty so no worries there).

Everyone I know at BU is finishing in one year, so i think the tide is changing regarding how many students are willing to do it in 1.5.

Phil Anthropist said:
Cammy is a successful graduate of BU's program, so she's more qualified to comment on this than I am.

But anyway, BU can be completed in one year with either a "library-based thesis" (my understanding is it's more like a review, but I could be wrong) OR a library/lab combo thesis (rare, but some do this). There are similar "non-thesis" pre-professional programs that require you to write a scientific review article for publication (e.g. UNMC), which is analogous to the "library-thesis" of BU's MA Med Sci program. But by BU's definition, the library-based research paper IS considered a thesis. So I believe Cammy is correct.

There is no non-thesis option at BU. You are correct.

Yea I know Hopkins has those masters programs but I assumed since it was Hopkins my 2.98 gpa wouldn't get me in.

Can someone tell me more about the Biotech MS at Hopkins?
is it highly selective? What is the program like? Can your undergrad courses get you exempt from some core courses? Can the MS in Biotech lead to subsequent PhD programs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

osjx-82 said:
Can someone tell me more about the Biotech MS at Hopkins?
is it highly selective? What is the program like? Can your undergrad courses get you exempt from some core courses? Can the MS in Biotech lead to subsequent PhD programs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's fairly simple to get into, no GRE or letters of rec needed. The program only requires 10 courses to complete. Three of the core courses are waived if you were a Hopkins undergraduate.

http://www.jhu.edu/advanced/biotechnology/welcome.html

hauihad said:
It's fairly simple to get into, no GRE or letters of rec needed. The program only requires 10 courses to complete. Three of the core courses are waived if you were a Hopkins undergraduate.

http://www.jhu.edu/advanced/biotechnology/welcome.html

thanks hauihad!
does this masters degree lead up to a normal Ph.D. research degree? I am asking this because I am interested in doing research as well, and this program doesn't seem to be research-oriented.
I looked all over the website by the way before posting.

osjx-82 said:
thanks hauihad!
does this masters degree lead up to a normal Ph.D. research degree? I am asking this because I am interested in doing research as well, and this program doesn't seem to be research-oriented.
I looked all over the website by the way before posting.

No it does not lead to a PHD. It's not really research oriented. You can do research, but there is no requirement for a thesis or anything.

hauihad said:
No it does not lead to a PHD. It's not really research oriented. You can do research, but there is no requirement for a thesis or anything.

Hey hauihad!

Are you in the Hopkins program? What's the 411? I went o the website and it looks doable from my end, but I like getting first-hand knowledge....

Agape...

I'm also curious after looking at that Biotechnology MS program. It is designed for working adults and has classes on night and weekends. Is there anyway to do the MS full-time (no job), so you can finish it earlier?

Has anyone attended the Loma Linda post bacc? ANY info would be much appreciated. Thanks

mizzoudude said:
Has anyone attended the Loma Linda post bacc? ANY info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Haven't attended it, but I volunteer in the labs there and can tell you this much about it: It is a certificate program (not a degree). People within Loma Linda seem to think highly of it.

imrep1972 said:
Haven't attended it, but I volunteer in the labs there and can tell you this much about it: It is a certificate program (not a degree). People within Loma Linda seem to think highly of it.

What about the folks outside Loma Linda?

Just updating.......UMAB's physiology masters takes 2 yrs to complete (theoretically it can take only 1, but the people in charge of it say it has never happened)

I applied to the Hopkins Biotech masters and will apply to the public health school for their 1 yr MHS degree. If all else fails, I think i'll do nondegree status at their public health school.

Some things just make you want to say ARGH!!! :mad: (And I'm not even applying to the program!)

I will take note of that duration. It appears Maryland's advertisement is incredibly misleading. There are other programs that can theoretically be completed in one year (e.g., OSU MS in Biomedical Sciences, KCOM MS in Biomedical Sciences, VCU MS in Physiology), but these schools make it pretty clear that doing so would be extremely unlikely. Anyway, good luck with your apps to the Hopkins programs!