Any Asian-Chinese premeds out there? II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palminator2003

Sosumi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last thread got closed, so I'm starting a new one. Let's keep it rational this time folks.

I'll start by a reintroduction. I'm an ABC looking east coast for med school. I've been accepted a few places and am waiting to hear from more :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am asian american, chinese. Taking a year off.

I hate it when people learn I'm pre-med and automatically place me in the "typical asian dutifully carying out her parents' desires" category.

They smile knowingly and assume they already know all about you

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate it when parents ask you to go to dinner with them. You go and then there are "family friends" there. And it's a total setup. You know it. They know it. And everyone's watching! :eek:

palminator2003 said:
I hate it when parents ask you to go to dinner with them. You go and then there are "family friends" there. And it's a total setup. You know it. They know it. And everyone's watching! :eek:

my parents tried to hook me up with someone 15 when I was 21. now thats bad.

I love the way that my mom keeps hoping I'll meet a nice Chinese doctor in medical school....despite the fact that I've been in a 2-year long-term relationship.

Whatever happens, don't let them get you drunk. You start to do stupid things when you're drunk :confused: :scared: :love:

It's funny, my maternal grandmother always told me that I should marry a nice American girl.

Don't know why, she never told me :laugh:.

palminator2003 said:

i feel ya, you go to the dinner, and your like wait there's a girl here...and then they all start asking you what med school you are going to or where have you applied...yeah it gets boring, screw that...i'm stickin wit korean girls :D

plattinum9 said:
i feel ya, you go to the dinner, and your like wait there's a girl here...and then they all start asking you what med school you are going to or where have you applied...yeah it gets boring, screw that...i'm stickin wit korean girls :D

just wait until you actually get into med school. that's when fun really begins... :D

i77ac said:
just wait until you actually get into med school. that's when fun really begins... :D

hhaha, im waiting thats for sure....freakin 4 waitlists.......ahh would one of the adcoms jus make their choice....in the meantime, imma go hangout wit the korean girls :D , no chinese girls for me regardless what my parents want...

*edit*

oh but what if i met a half-korean/half-chinese girl....now thats what i call compromise :laugh:

plattinum9 said:
hhaha, im waiting thats for sure....freakin 4 waitlists.......ahh would one of the adcoms jus make their choice....in the meantime, imma go hangout wit the korean girls :D , no chinese girls for me regardless what my parents want...

*edit*

oh but what if i met a half-korean/half-chinese girl....now thats what i call compromise :laugh:

Come on man. If you aren't going to keep it real and stick with chinese girls, you gotta go all the way. Go for a caucasian girl. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal favorite was when my mother insisted that I email a boy from her hospital to give him directions to our home, despite the fact that I've never been to her hospital, and she drives there everyday.

I came back during Thanksgiving to find said boy sitting at our dinner table. Sadly, his grasp of the English language was lacking. Instead, I proceeded to obnoxiously argue politics with my father over dinner. I caught my mother apologizing for me when I came back from the bathroom, telling him that I can be "too independent" sometimes, like its a disease.

She's proud, but a little disappointed I'm going to med school, since she's convinced this means the probability of her having grandchildren will be greatly decreased.

How come my parents don't set me up with anyone? Man...you guys/girls are lucky!!! :laugh:

plattinum9 said:

plattinum9 said:

*edit*

what's with this infatuation korean girls? did i missed something?

i77ac said:
what's with this infatuation korean girls? did i missed something?

haha...nah its just that for me personally i like korean girls. my parents are so traditional, wanting me to get with a chinese girl, blah blah blah. yeah i'm sure some of you heard that story before. but if they have to realize that sometimes its better to go with what you are happy with... :)

I have a "thing" for Vietnamese guys....every guy that I've dated (except for one Chinese guy) has been Vietnamese! My mom simply doesn't understand it. She insists that they are inherently different from Chinese people, and is still hoping that I marry a Chinese guy. :eek:

After graduating from college, I got my master's in fine arts and then lived abroad for 3 years. My parents hated it. Then I decided to apply to med school, and when I was staying with some family friends at one of my interviews, the woman I was staying with, another Chinese mama, said, "So, your mother won after all."

plattinum9 said:
haha...nah its just that for me personally i like korean girls. my parents are so traditional, wanting me to get with a chinese girl, blah blah blah. yeah i'm sure some of you heard that story before. but if they have to realize that sometimes its better to go with what you are happy with... :)

LOL, it's too late for me. My brainwashing is complete. It would take too long to undo the programming. I MUST marry a Chinese girl or die trying... :love:

I don't really know what to do. I got into Texas Tech and I am a Chinese American male. I doubt there are any Asians out there in Lubbock. Guess I have to step out of the dating Chinese girls comfort zone while I am there.

There might not be any Asian-American residents in Lubbock, but I'm sure that the medical school classes will each have plenty of Chinese/Asian American future MDs.

AsianDoc816 said:
I have a "thing" for Vietnamese guys....every guy that I've dated (except for one Chinese guy) has been Vietnamese! My mom simply doesn't understand it. She insists that they are inherently different from Chinese people, and is still hoping that I marry a Chinese guy. :eek:
Hey AsianDoc, what does your mom mean when she insists that Vietnamese are "inherently different" from Chinese people? just curious that's all :p .

krelian said:
Hey AsianDoc, what does your mom mean when she insists that Vietnamese are "inherently different" from Chinese people? just curious that's all :p .

She means that they have different beliefs....this is a stupid example, but she works with this Vietnamese pharmacy technician (she is a pharmacist) who has to pay his way through school and has a terrible relationship with both of his parents. So, she takes this as "evidence" that Vietnamese parents don't care as much about their children as Chinese parents. Yes, it is illogical reasoning based on limited evidence, but you know how parents can be at times....

Chiuster82 said:
I don't really know what to do. I got into Texas Tech and I am a Chinese American male. I doubt there are any Asians out there in Lubbock. Guess I have to step out of the dating Chinese girls comfort zone while I am there.

As an alternative, I proffer the old-fashioned solution. Fly to Shanghai the summer of MS-Y1, and bag yourself a girl from the mainland. :love: :laugh: Once they find out you are an American (and a future doctor to boot!), they'll be tripping all over themselves to get with you. :eek: Choose. Choose wisely. :luck:

palminator2003 said:
As an alternative, I proffer the old-fashioned solution. Fly to Shanghai the summer of MS-Y1, and bag yourself a girl from the mainland. :love: :laugh: Once they find out you are an American (and a future doctor to boot!), they'll be tripping all over themselves to get with you. :eek: Choose. Choose wisely. :luck:

When I tell people about starting med school in the fall, the guys are not exactly tripping over themselves to get my number. Not fair. I've worked so hard to get to this point, and will continue to work hard, but at the same time, I feel like the pool of future boyfriends/husbands is shrinking. Does anyone feel like this? :p

At the core of things, marrying someone with a similar education, background, etc is a choice. And I chose medicine...with its high divorce rate and quality of life issues. I want to fall in love... without my head, familial and social-cultural expectations getting in the way. Sorry for the ranting, and thanks for listening.

Qemmalee said:
When I tell people about starting med school in the fall, the guys are not exactly tripping over themselves to get my number. Not fair. I've worked so hard to get to this point, and will continue to work hard, but at the same time, I feel like the pool of future boyfriends/husbands is shrinking. Does anyone feel like this? :p

At the core of things, marrying someone with a similar education, background, etc is a choice. And I chose medicine...with its high divorce rate and quality of life issues. I want to fall in love... without my head, familial and social-cultural expectations getting in the way. Sorry for the ranting, and thanks for listening.

that's because we guys in general could careless about your intellect... well, i for one, don't care if a girl is a doc, because i will be one myself. most guys rate physical attribute to be the most impt thing, then personality.

Qemmalee said:
I've worked so hard to get to this point, and will continue to work hard, but at the same time, I feel like the pool of future boyfriends/husbands is shrinking. Does anyone feel like this? :p

Don't worry Qemmalee, there are many of us in med school next fall :cool:

Qemmalee said:

my favorite is when your parents push you to excel academically and then your mother suddenly turns around when you're in your 20's and says, "You know, men don't like women who are too successful."

dandelion said:
After graduating from college, I got my master's in fine arts and then lived abroad for 3 years. My parents hated it. Then I decided to apply to med school, and when I was staying with some family friends at one of my interviews, the woman I was staying with, another Chinese mama, said, "So, your mother won after all."

:D :D :D :D :D
this is sooooo my family. my parents were very unhappy when i decided to go to art school for undergrad. but then i got a full ride to my state school so i went there. then, they almost choked when i told them i was majoring in philosophy. :rolleyes: but now everything is fine since i got accepted to med school. i haven't told them i'm going into academic medicine. of course, then there are some things that i can never, ever, ever, tell my chinesy parents. :D

lightnk102 said:
my favorite is when your parents push you to excel academically and then your mother suddenly turns around when you're in your 20's and says, "You know, men don't like women who are too successful."

YES, exactly! my parents worry that I'm never going to get married since I'm going into medicine, yet at the same time, they act as though I have no other choice but to become a physician. If I had known how confused and self-contradicting they were, I would have never listened to them in the first place! And I probably wouldn't be premed.

plattinum9 said:

Do you like korean girls because of the way they look (the good ones are flawless) or because of the way they're raised all submissive and feminine?

my 'rents are pretty cool.........they're more worried about me being devasted if i didnt get into meds than the actual outcome of not getting into meds.....my mom's afraid that i wont be able to handle the rejection, but she always says that she's proud of me and where i have come so far. esp after my washu interview lol. :p

also, im dating a white guy and they seem pretty cool about it. although they say that if i meet someone better in med school to ditch him hahaha. :oops: they're just typically controlling, worrying over how much i eat, whether i have time to juggle studying and stuff like that.

no set ups yet. but ive always been rebellious and didnt ascribe to the asian mentalities.

Qemmalee said:

low on quantity
but high on quality??? :luck:

sounds like you have your head on straight about med and bf's. It's better than getting disillusioned later on. gluck

i'm sure many of us have much to vent about chinese parents

but as a whole, I much rather have them be my parents than anyone else. It is easy to compare ourselves to others who are successful and don't have pushy parents. There's always a greener field and life isn't fair :eek: . But the other comparsion: if my folks (and your folks or your grandfolks, etc.) were not academically crazy, we won't be where we are today. Let's keep that in mind as we complain :laugh: :D

MCAT45T said:
that's because we guys in general could careless about your intellect... well, i for one, don't care if a girl is a doc, because i will be one myself. most guys rate physical attribute to be the most impt thing, then personality.

True and not so true. Yes, you have to meet a reasonable standard of attractiveness (varies person to person). However, once you are deemed attractive, then other aspects come into play. Frankly, I'm not sure I could marry someone I couldn't respect intellectually. But, maybe that's just me.

funshine said:
Do you like korean girls because of the way they look (the good ones are flawless) or because of the way they're raised all submissive and feminine?

i like the submissive and feminine complex in korean girls...chinese girls are good too but they jus give me too much crap in the past...so i hope that answers ur question

lightnk102 said:

For guys, it's more like: "Don't get too serious with these girls." all throughout high school and college. Then, the second you have your BA in hand, they're like: "So when are you going to make me some grandkids?" :eek:

Qemmalee said:

I'd trip to get a hot girls number who is in med school.

funshine said:

Are Korean girls submissive and feminine? Do you know any Korean girls? I suggest you go out and meet a few more.

crazy80 said:
Are Korean girls submissive and feminine? Do you know any Korean girls? I suggest you go out and meet a few more.

this thread is getting as lame as the last one :D

qqq said:
this thread is getting as lame as the last one :D

ok let's make this more interesting then...

who's been accepted? or who's still waiting around? as for me i'm still f"ing waiting for the schools to reply back..ahh the agony... :confused:

accepted. UCSF, Mayo, UCSD, UCSIrivine, JHU. Leaning towards SF.

Albany-accepted, withdrawn
SUNY Upstate-accepted, withdrawn
Mt. Sinai - accepted, holding place:)
Columbia - Waitlisted
bunch of other schools- withdrawn or rejected
still waiting on Cornell and Penn :scared: :scared: :scared:

wow congrats to you two...yeah i think im the bottom of the chinese pile...still waitlisted and no acceptances...but congrats on gettin accepted guys... :thumbup:

im jus banking all my money on VCU! go go go :scared:

For a supposedly overrepresented minority, I didn't actually see too many Chinese premeds on my interview trails. The one exception might have been BU, but after that, there was at most 1 other Chinese premed in my interview groups. What has been your experience?

palminator2003 said:
For a supposedly overrepresented minority, I didn't actually see too many Chinese premeds on my interview trails. The one exception might have been BU, but after that, there was at most 1 other Chinese premed in my interview groups. What has been your experience?

everywhere i go, there is at least one chinese in the group. the most chinese i saw was when i was interviewing at UT Galveston...wow half of the room was asians... :eek:

plattinum9 said:
wow congrats to you two...yeah i think im the bottom of the chinese pile...still waitlisted and no acceptances...but congrats on gettin accepted guys... :thumbup:

im jus banking all my money on VCU! go go go :scared:

fyi, i'm not chinese, i'm korean. and out of 10 interviews, i was always the only korean there. not surprising since only about ~360 koreans go to med school each year...