What are your impressions of D.O.s you have rotated with? thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

you had me half-way through writing a pretty heated response to that.......with it being 2am on a sat nite and me being a little drunk....took a while to see that "gotcha" at the bottom.....dingus...jk

Members don't see this ad :)
Taus said:
you had me half-way through writing a pretty heated response to that.......with it being 2am on a sat nite and me being a little drunk....took a while to see that "gotcha" at the bottom.....dingus...jk

Sorry. I actually interviewed for Emergency Medicine with a few DO students. Obviously the Program Directors at these programs think highly of DO programs. Who am I to argu?

yo i was totally joking w/ my response.....the "jk" after i called you an dingus was supposed to convey that....no apologies needed....

my preceptor is a d.o. and she's really awesome. much more patient than some of the m.d's i've met. i get to do a lot of things the other m1 students don't get to do. i've only seen her do "d.o." stuff once and it was crazy!

I have seen no difference between a MD resident and a DO resident.

amoxicillin said:
thanks for the input

Every single one of your posts on here has been some kind of complaint, whether it's about NYCOM, being a DO, or fear of not getting into a competitive speciality. Why don't you just do all of us a favor, drop out of NYCOM and reapply to MD schools? Everyone will be happier (including yourself) in the long run, although something tells me that if/when you start doing poorly at a different school you'll find something else to complain about.

J1515 said:
Every single one of your posts on here has been some kind of complaint, whether it's about NYCOM, being a DO, or fear of not getting into a competitive speciality. Why don't you just do all of us a favor, drop out of NYCOM and reapply to MD schools? Everyone will be happier (including yourself) in the long run, although something tells me that if/when you start doing poorly at a different school you'll find something else to complain about.

I'm sure the MD schools in the Carribbean would love to take him. :thumbup: :laugh:

DO students are just like MD students; some are great, some are fake a-holes. When I was doing a rotation out at Baystate, I lived with a DO student and we became good friends; seemed very smart and great work ethic. However, I know one DO resident (at a TUSM affiliated program, NOT baystate) that lies about her credentials (mostly by omission); i.e. telling people "I did my training in Pittsburgh (implying that she went to U Pitt and not a DO school by providing no further details)", wearing "Doctor M, M.D." on her name badge, and she is listed on the list of residents as having gone to University of California (I would guess this implies Berkeley), when she really went to a less well-reputed private school. Plus, she barely spoke to me the whole time I was at the hospital, while kissing the @$$ of a male student. The sad thing is, she will probably get the GI fellowship spot at the hospital she works at, since there is essentially a spot reserved for residents at that hospital, and no one else in her class goes into GI. Ugh. Just goes to show A-holes come in all flavors..

irlandesa said:
DO students are just like MD students; some are great, some are fake a-holes. When I was doing a rotation out at Baystate, I lived with a DO student and we became good friends; seemed very smart and great work ethic.

I hope I am the former and not the latter.... although, I think my wife would correct the problem had I been the latter....

Best of luck guys, hope you get the residencies/specialties you want...

DrDad
DO MSI

I've worked with DOs in Internal Medicine, Pathology, Psychiatry and Pediatrics. All were excellent residents/attendings (with most of them, I didn't even realize they were a DO until I saw their ID badge).

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones I have met and worked with are very nice and know quite a bit . I see no difference knowledge wise

during my fp rotation, i used to go to lunch with a group of osteo students, and when i told them i sucked at musculoskeletal, they basically re-taught me how to do the musculoskeletal exam. they knew their stuff and they were very helpful. one of my fp attendings was a DO. the only difference was that he was always behind because he spent a lot longer talking to his patients than his partners. and his pts were always like, "will you crack my back?" and he would do it instead of rescheduling them and we would get even further behind! poor guy, but his patients loved him.

Hey!, I guess they're right. DO's, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.

shellfish said:
during my fp rotation, i used to go to lunch with a group of osteo students, and when i told them i sucked at musculoskeletal, they basically re-taught me how to do the musculoskeletal exam. they knew their stuff and they were very helpful. one of my fp attendings was a DO. the only difference was that he was always behind because he spent a lot longer talking to his patients than his partners. and his pts were always like, "will you crack my back?" and he would do it instead of rescheduling them and we would get even further behind! poor guy, but his patients loved him.
I wish more people in the pre-allo would read this thread.

This is a great thread and it gives the deserved respect to all of the DO's out there who, often, work just as hard as the MD's. And it shows that sometimes we really all can get along! :love:

FernandoV said:
Hey!, I guess they're right. DO's, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.

Nice

I ve heard that DO's can basically do everything an MD can, especially in primary care. But in more specialized fields there maybe a difference, but this is mainly due to the type of residency you do. I heard DO residencies are based in small community hospitals so the residents see a smaller volume of patients and they see fewer of the rare and difficult cases. I read a thread somewhere on sdn where a DO neurosurg. resident wrote about this and how he felt that he was under trained when compared to the MD neurosurg. residents.

I ve heard that DO's can basically do everything an MD can, especially in primary care. But in more specialized fields there maybe a difference, but this is mainly due to the type of residency you do. I heard DO residencies are based in small community hospitals so the residents see a smaller volume of patients and they see fewer of the rare and difficult cases. I read a thread somewhere on sdn where a DO neurosurg. resident wrote about this and how he felt that he was under trained when compared to the MD neurosurg. residents.

About 48% of DO students enter into ACGME residencies, but yes most AOA (osteopathic) residencies are at smaller community hospitals b/c there are only a few that are affiliated with Universities that have their own hospital. I think that in the larger cities ie Philly or NY community hospital program does not really equate to small or malignant.

irlandesa said:
DO students are just like MD students; some are great, some are fake a-holes. When I was doing a rotation out at Baystate, I lived with a DO student and we became good friends; seemed very smart and great work ethic. However, I know one DO resident (at a TUSM affiliated program, NOT baystate) that lies about her credentials (mostly by omission); i.e. telling people "I did my training in Pittsburgh (implying that she went to U Pitt and not a DO school by providing no further details)", wearing "Doctor M, M.D." on her name badge, and she is listed on the list of residents as having gone to University of California (I would guess this implies Berkeley), when she really went to a less well-reputed private school. Plus, she barely spoke to me the whole time I was at the hospital, while kissing the @$$ of a male student. The sad thing is, she will probably get the GI fellowship spot at the hospital she works at, since there is essentially a spot reserved for residents at that hospital, and no one else in her class goes into GI. Ugh. Just goes to show A-holes come in all flavors..

I saw a podiatrist wearing an MD badge while I was doing a surgery rotation. He used to flip it over so people could not read it whenever he walked into the OR with the orthopods. I am guessing the orthopods would have murdered him if they found out what he was doing. I have worked with two DOs. One FP and one psych. The FP seemed much better than the Psych one.

LT2 said:
This is a great thread and it gives the deserved respect to all of the DO's out there who, often, work just as hard as the MD's.

Agreed! I have yet to meet a DO I didn't think was top-notch.

No diference between DO and MD.

Ughh...a tired old argument. But for the sake of...

I've worked with many wonderful and many "iffy" residents over the years. I would never have known if they were DO, MD, FMG, IMG, etc. unless I either saw their badge or it happened to come up in discussion. There is no difference across the board in skills and knowledge based on degree, school or country of origin, IMHO.

Kimberli Cox said:
Ughh...a tired old argument. But for the sake of...

I've worked with many wonderful and many "iffy" residents over the years. I would never have known if they were DO, MD, FMG, IMG, etc. unless I either saw their badge or it happened to come up in discussion. There is no difference across the board in skills and knowledge based on degree, school or country of origin, IMHO.

I think this is true even when you start practicing medicine...my brother is in pharmaceutical sales, so he meets with doctors all day long, and he hears from most docs that most of their patients dont even know what degree they have, whether it be any of the mentioned above....as long as they know you are a doctor and you take care of them, they prob dont even care... which does sound kind of bad on the patients' part, they should be more proactive into knowing their physician's credentials....but then again, who can blame them? Does it really matter what degree they have or what school they attended if they do their job well? Not really...

Napoleon1801 said:
I'm sure the MD schools in the Carribbean would love to take him. :thumbup: :laugh:

No need to disrespect the Caribbean schools! ;)