Buffalo or UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Pls help me choose between Buffalo and UCLA. I personally like to join Buffalo becos they chose me first and also cost of living is less over there..The only thing is it's a 3 yr program. The tution and fees for all 3 yrs together is 90K

UCLA is a 2 yr program and it costs 125K for the tution and fees for 2 yrs together. One more reason for me to join UCLA is it will be an advantage for my hubby as he has a California based job..

Pretty much both school has it's own advantages and disadvantages from my point of view..but then it's will be nice to hear your point of views too :)

Thanks sdn for being with me through all good and bad times! :thumbup:

Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear the good news :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

dentaldoc said:
Hello guys,

Pls help me choose between Buffalo and UCLA. I personally like to join Buffalo becos they chose me first and also cost of living is less over there..The only thing is it's a 3 yr program. The tution and fees for all 3 yrs together is 90K

UCLA is a 2 yr program and it costs 125K for the tution and fees for 2 yrs together. One more reason for me to join UCLA is it will be an advantage for my hubby as he has a California based job..

Pretty much both school has it's own advantages and disadvantages from my point of view..but then it's will be nice to hear your point of views too :)

Thanks sdn for being with me through all good and bad times! :thumbup:

Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear the good news :luck:

hi dental doc....
congratulations,...!!!!
just my opinion..... 3 yrs is a long time to be away from ure hubby and if he has a caifornia based job.atleaset ull be close by... plus in 2 yrs it will be over..... the cost difference is about 35000$ which in the one year that ull be working on completion of ure 2 yr programme .. ull make it up.....
if both colleges are equally good....then being closer to your hubby is a definate advantage......just my thoughts...!!!
toothie

toothie said:
hi dental doc....
congratulations,...!!!!
just my opinion..... 3 yrs is a long time to be away from ure hubby and if he has a caifornia based job.atleaset ull be close by... plus in 2 yrs it will be over..... the cost difference is about 35000$ which in the one year that ull be working on completion of ure 2 yr programme .. ull make it up.....
if both colleges are equally good....then being closer to your hubby is a definate advantage......just my thoughts...!!!
toothie

Hi dentaldoc

I agree with toothie 100% on both counts. Additionally If I were you I would pick a private dental school over state school as my good money should buy whatever best on the offer.

Hope this helps, :thumbup:

rahmed

Members don't see this ad :)
I second( or third!) what others have said! Go for UCLA!

Good luck and congrats!

Thank you guys for your inputs toothie, rahmed and Mogembo

My first priority is I want to stay with my hubby..So even if I go to buffalo I will drag him with me :D

Both (Buffalo and UCLA) are state schools..rahmed, can I know why you prefer Private schools over state schools?

dentaldoc said:
Thank you guys for your inputs toothie, rahmed and Mogembo

My first priority is I want to stay with my hubby..So even if I go to buffalo I will drag him with me :D

Both (Buffalo and UCLA) are state schools..rahmed, can I know why you prefer Private schools over state schools?

Hi dentaldoc

In terms of resources and infrastructure private schools are one up above state schools. One can debate this fact. But lets face it we may be talking about a state school in US but black is black and white is white. The reality is they are partly dependent on state funding. Most often than not the state schools are underfunded. In the current economic climate it is even worse. I live in Virginia. The dental school under Virginia Commonwealth University has scrapped advanced standing program couple of years ago because they could not afford to pay the faculty. In fact currently they are so underfunded and under staffed that they have asked retired faculties to teach part time rather than employing full time tenure-tracks. Their are very few research funding. I am very much aware of the fact that SUNY Buffalo is better funded than SUNY Stonybrook and definitely better than some other state schools. Back in India I proved my academic ability to grab a seat in a Govt Dental School and I was proud. By the time I reached second year BDS my elation turned into dismay when I discovered woefully inadequate resources. This time round when I plan to go through the undergraduate course once again I do not like to face any corner cutting. I want best of manpower and technology to guide me through the program. All these may not translate into making me a great dentist, but I don't want to look back and say if only I could.......

Good luck for the future

rahmed

rahmed said:
Hi dentaldoc

In terms of resources and infrastructure private schools are one up above state schools. One can debate this fact. But lets face it we may be talking about a state school in US but black is black and white is white. The reality is they are partly dependent on state funding. Most often than not the state schools are underfunded. In the current economic climate it is even worse. I live in Virginia. The dental school under Virginia Commonwealth University has scrapped advanced standing program couple of years ago because they could not afford to pay the faculty. In fact currently they are so underfunded and under staffed that they have asked retired faculties to teach part time rather than employing full time tenure-tracks. Their are very few research funding. I am very much aware of the fact that SUNY Buffalo is better funded than SUNY Stonybrook and definitely better than some other state schools. Back in India I proved my academic ability to grab a seat in a Govt Dental School and I was proud. By the time I reached second year BDS my elation turned into dismay when I discovered woefully inadequate resources. This time round when I plan to go through the undergraduate course once again I do not like to face any corner cutting. I want best of manpower and technology to guide me through the program. All these may not translate into making me a great dentist, but I don't want look back and say if only I could.......

Good luck for the future

rahmed

Hey rahmed,

That's an interesting point of view - comparing state and Private schools and I guess that's the reason the tutuion is cheaper in state schools comparitively..

My though on this would be as we are already a dentist back home and most of them have work experience too, so all I want is to get a degree for less money and get my licence and start practising as soon as possible...

congrats dentaldoc..way to go ...my 2 cents...since the fee is not a major diff...35k and ofcourse ucla is 2 yr...go for it..only thing u might want to check out is patient pool ....that may want to be a deciding factor...!!!
can u please share what was asked in SUNY Buffalo bench test...
all the best!!

ghosh said:
congrats dentaldoc..way to go ...my 2 cents...since the fee is not a major diff...35k and ofcourse ucla is 2 yr...go for it..only thing u might want to check out is patient pool ....that may want to be a deciding factor...!!!
can u please share what was asked in SUNY Buffalo bench test...
all the best!!

Thanks Ghosh, I couldn't agree with you more!..I just talked with one senior PPID student from UCLA and she said "you get enough patients to graduate.."
So 90% I will be joining UCLA

Since I got many PM's regarding Buffalo interview, I thought I would share my interview experience in detail with you guys..

My scores are 88,253,3.82 and I am working as dental assistant here in US for past 5 months..I didn't attend any coaching classes for my practical exam but I do have a compressor at my house to practice..

One of the requirement is you should have your Green card at the time of the interview.

The interview started at 9am and they asked us to write few lines abt our most challenging experience in our life. They gave us 10 minutes and basically it's to test your fluency in English in expressing your thoughts..

Then we had a Personal interview for abt 15-20 minutes. It's a Panel interview ( we had 2 interviewers)

Then we had lunch with few senior IDP students. Then afternoon was our practical exam.. We had to do class 2 amalgam prep and filling 19 MO. They gave us 3 hours for it and I am the one who utilized all 3 hrs and finished last! :oops: (I guess it was worth it!)

It was a long day from 9am to 5.30 pm. But they hosted us well all through the day. I liked every thing abt the school and faculties I met were great!..The only reason for me not to join UB is it's a 3 yr Program..

All the best to the rest of you and I strongly encourage you guys to apply there as it's a good school and fee is lot less comparitively! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
rahmed said:
Hi dentaldoc

In terms of resources and infrastructure private schools are one up above state schools. One can debate this fact. But lets face it we may be talking about a state school in US but black is black and white is white. The reality is they are partly dependent on state funding. Most often than not the state schools are underfunded. In the current economic climate it is even worse. I live in Virginia. The dental school under Virginia Commonwealth University has scrapped advanced standing program couple of years ago because they could not afford to pay the faculty. In fact currently they are so underfunded and under staffed that they have asked retired faculties to teach part time rather than employing full time tenure-tracks. Their are very few research funding. I am very much aware of the fact that SUNY Buffalo is better funded than SUNY Stonybrook and definitely better than some other state schools. Back in India I proved my academic ability to grab a seat in a Govt Dental School and I was proud. By the time I reached second year BDS my elation turned into dismay when I discovered woefully inadequate resources. This time round when I plan to go through the undergraduate course once again I do not like to face any corner cutting. I want best of manpower and technology to guide me through the program. All these may not translate into making me a great dentist, but I don't want to look back and say if only I could.......

Good luck for the future

rahmed
You got it all wrong.Unlike ,India or for that matter any country (exception of canada)here schools are reviewed and accredited periodically .There is a set rule for number of faculty,qualifications of faculty,patients per head and many many of them.Also,I do agree lot of pvt schools are equally good or sometimes better.For eexample Ivy league schools.But ,they might just be good with certain schools.Like University of Iowa is way far better for dentistry than Harvard,infact Harvard and columbia dental are not even considered to be the top ,but certianly the name helps.No doubt.In America ,if u do not meet accreditation standards ,they eliminate the program .This is not surprising.I dont know if u folks are aware of the fact how Northwestern(private) shut down its dental school a few yrs ago,owing to financial difficulties to run the show.Now I hear Tufts ,again private(from my friends at tufts)is going bankrupt as it is finding it hard to keep up with the other schools in New England area.Also,keep in mind schools which have big foriegn dentist programs are also looking to make dollars.SUNY,has a space available basis for this ,which means it doesnt matter if they get u or not.But NYU takes students in triple digits ,which means they need ur money more than u.Do not forget that you are living in a capitalist country.Alos,tenure track appointments has more than what meets the eye.To get a tenure track ,u have to meet certain expectations ,like constant research,publications etc.Schools whic do not have major research always tend to have lesser tenure track faculty.It also means if you are in tenure track and if there is layoff you will be the last to go.
The bottom line ,there is a uniform standard of education often referred to as QA in layman's term in United states.
My advice take UCLA,better name and it is state school.Keep in mind it is not a cheap state school.It is one the most expensive state schools in the country.SUNY -Buffalo is a great school,very well known for its research .Not a bad school at all.N then,save some time,enjoy the sunny californian weather .Buffalo ,is certainly notorious for that.

Hi Dentaldoc,

Thank yo so much for posting your interview experience. It's going to be very helpful for a lot of people here. Appreciate it .

Good luck with your studies

BBGUN said:
My advice take UCLA,better name and it is state school..

Thanks BBGUN and yes I decided to go to UCLA :thumbup:

Galaxy you are most welcome :)

dentaldoc said:
Thanks Ghosh, I couldn't agree with you more!..I just talked with one senior PPID student from UCLA and she said "you get enough patients to graduate.."
So 90% I will be joining UCLA

Since I got many PM's regarding Buffalo interview, I thought I would share my interview experience in detail with you guys..

My scores are 88,253,3.82 and I am working as dental assistant here in US for past 5 months..I didn't attend any coaching classes for my practical exam but I do have a compressor at my house to practice..

One of the requirement is you should have your Green card at the time of the interview.

The interview started at 9am and they asked us to write few lines abt our most challenging experience in our life. They gave us 10 minutes and basically it's to test your fluency in English in expressing your thoughts..

Then we had a Personal interview for abt 15-20 minutes. It's a Panel interview ( we had 2 interviewers)

Then we had lunch with few senior IDP students. Then afternoon was our practical exam.. We had to do class 2 amalgam prep and filling 19 MO. They gave us 3 hours for it and I am the one who utilized all 3 hrs and finished last! :oops: (I guess it was worth it!)

It was a long day from 9am to 5.30 pm. But they hosted us well all through the day. I liked every thing abt the school and faculties I met were great!..The only reason for me not to join UB is it's a 3 yr Program..

All the best to the rest of you and I strongly encourage you guys to apply there as it's a good school and fee is lot less comparitively! :luck:

Since some of them PMed me regarding whether UB is a space based program ...

YES UB is a space based program and they accept a maximum of 4 IDP students per yr..This yr they only had 3 spots..They said they had 120 applications for the 3 spots they had this yr and they invited around 12-15 for the interview but only 8 of them turned in..

I am glad, I was choosen one among the 3 seats that they had :)

Guys, feel free to post any more queries that you have in your mind I will be happy to share it with you guys..

Hello guys,

I am resurrecting this thread for the reason that it might be useful for UB applicants. Good luck :luck: