Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick question....for those of you who have been unconditionally accepted, or others...in the letter from Mrs. Hamlette asking for transcripts it says after they receive your transcripts they close your file until march. It says something about making an appointment to view them at this time...if you want to. So after march when our files are 'reopened' they're reopened for us to go and see them? Like LoRs, interview feedback, and all? Or are they reopened for the admissions committee?

also medschoolapps...good luck w/ USUHS but remember you can do pretty much, if not all, of the same residency programs as allopathic grads as an osteopath grade and HPSP doesn't distinguish between MD and DO if you really want to do milmed. So relax man, you've got acceptances, you're going to be a doctor...anything else is gravy (i think someone may have said that already)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All I am saying is that medschoolapps ‘stats are adequate enough to have someone at most adcoms at least look at his PS and activities. Granted my GPA was a 3.8, a little higher than 3.3, the focus of my interviews was not on why i obtained 5 or 6 b’s in my college career, nor was I ever asked why I didn’t break 10 on the verbal. However, we did talk about how I figured out how to siphon 500cc of blood from a patient with a hemopneumo using a 14guage and a suction, or the time I triaged a t-boned school bus with a medic who freaked out and went back in the truck, and even how we put out a large brush fire with flame-******ant stretcher sheets and fire extinguishers when we could get the brush trucks onto the field. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, all I am saying is that the medical school selection process is subjective and if someone who can empathize with you looks at your app or interviews you, you just might get accepted. Yea, Medschoolapps’ stats aren’t anything to brag about, but I can almost guarantee that the lowest 10% of any accepted medical school class probably has the most impressive EC’s and experiences that compensate for sub par GPAs and MCATS. Personally, I would rather have a physician who was a medic for a few years, put him/herself through college, and has some well rounded experiences, than one who did little more than study and obtained great stats.
Medschoolapps,
Screw what everyone else thinks, you already got into medical school. If you get into USUHS awesome, if not, there is no reason why you can’t be just as good as a physician coming from an osteopathic school. Take my advice during your future interviews if you think it’s applicable. Congrats again, you deserve it.
Riley,
Two of the interview offers I referred to were D.O. and the other seven were allopathic. One acceptance of the four was osteopathic. So all together 7 interviews and 3 acceptances if you don’t count D.O.
Speedy,
I wasn’t completely disagreeing with you, I just wanted to present the notion that it might be more than just numbers when it comes to Medschoolapps’ situation. I know it is a rarity, but I have had several friends whom have had low GPAs and MCATs, but received multiple acceptances. My sister for example was kicked out of two undergraduate institutions for poor academic performance, came back to school a year or two later and did well. She got into 6-7 M.D. schools. I think if you write good essays, put a positive light on everything you have accomplished, and present yourself with some humility, favorable outcomes are within the realm of possibility, even for us dumb kids. I’m somewhat of a hopeless optimist, so forgive me, but I wouldn’t count Medschoolapps out of the game yet.
Hope everyone has a good holiday season, and don’t get hurt before you get commissioned!!

All I am saying is that medschoolapps ‘stats are adequate enough to have someone at most adcoms at least look at his PS and activities.
For most schools, the PS and activities are useful as fodder during the interview and for consideration when your application goes before committee with final decision. Great ECs do not carry huge weight pre-interview. That portion is very much a numbers game.
Granted my GPA was a 3.8, a little higher than 3.3, the focus of my interviews was not on why i obtained 5 or 6 b's in my college career, nor was I ever asked why I didn't break 10 on the verbal. However, we did talk about how I figured out how to siphon 500cc of blood from a patient with a hemopneumo using a 14guage and a suction, or the time I triaged a t-boned school bus with a medic who freaked out and went back in the truck, and even how we put out a large brush fire with flame-******ant stretcher sheets and fire extinguishers when we could get the brush trucks onto the field.
These are great stories for the interview. But if you had a 3.3, odds are pretty good you might never have had the opportunity to tell them.

Pre-med experiences, including EMS tales like yours, are a lot of fun to talk about in interviews. But they don't carry as much weight as you might think in the initial screen. The fact is, how someone does on-scene at an MVA doesn't answer the essential pre-interview question med schools have when they look at your primary: "Will this person be able to handle the academic rigors of medical school?"

That question is answered by your undergrad GPA and your MCAT. Once you've answered that question by showing enough academic progress, then you will get invited in to interview and be able to regale folks with your tales. But ECs are no substitute for academics.

I'm speaking largely for allopathic schools. I didn't apply DO, but from folks I've talked to who did, they were much more open about life experiences compensating for less-than-stellar academics sometimes. This hasn't been my experience applying to or interviewing for medical school.
I'm not trying to toot my own horn, all I am saying is that the medical school selection process is subjective and if someone who can empathize with you looks at your app or interviews you, you just might get accepted.
The decision of who to admit is more subjective than most think. The decision of who to interview is less subjective than most hope.
Personally, I would rather have a physician who was a medic for a few years, put him/herself through college, and has some well rounded experiences, than one who did little more than study and obtained great stats.
You may change your tune. You'll find that the experiences you gain as a medic in EMS are great very early on but are quickly a distant memory in your clinical education. Totally agree about the importance of hard work/well-rounded-experience (or maturity, to put it simply), but the fact is that most med students have more of this than you'd think.
If you get into USUHS awesome, if not, there is no reason why you can't be just as good as a physician coming from an osteopathic school.
Abso-friggin-lutely. UHUHS is a great school if you are 100% sure you want the military as your career. But you can also do so via any US medical school.

At the end of the day, become a doctor. The distinction of any path you took to get there is quickly lost in the wash with a few years experience.

Best of luck to all still waiting....

Members don't see this ad :)
All I am saying is that medschoolapps ‘stats are adequate enough to have someone at most adcoms at least look at his PS and activities. Granted my GPA was a 3.8, a little higher than 3.3

A 3.8 is not a little higher than 3.3, it is way higher. So much higher, in fact, that you can't at all compare your application to one with a 3.3 and say "if I can do it so can you".

I am not saying he doesn't have a chance to get into USUHS, I think he does have a good chance since he got an interview. However, you can't say that your application experience will be even remotely close to his because your stats are way different.

A 3.8 is not a little higher than 3.3, it is way higher. So much higher, in fact, that you can't at all compare your application to one with a 3.3 and say "if I can do it so can you".

I am not saying he doesn't have a chance to get into USUHS, I think he does have a good chance since he got an interview. However, you can't say that your application experience will be even remotely close to his because your stats are way different.

I geuss this topic has been discussed for awhile but so far I haven't heard naybody ask about feedback from your previous USUHS interviews. Have you asked for feedback? Has anyone given any idea what your weaknesses are in their eyes? I realize since you've interviewed already it doesn't help much but this is perhaps the most important thing to do for anybody out there who interviews and doesn't get in. I have several classmates with comparable stats and life experiences so there must be something else perhaps the interview/personal statements probably isn't just the numbers.

On a separate note, the military is quite favorable in their view of DO's so HPSP is an alternative if you truly want to do military. I know DO residents in the military in almost every specialty (including surgery), so if that's where some of your hesitency is don't let it stop you. Good Luck.

On a separate note, the military is quite favorable in their view of DO's so HPSP is an alternative if you truly want to do military. I know DO residents in the military in almost every specialty (including surgery), so if that's where some of your hesitency is don't let it stop you. Good Luck.
Agreed. Though osteopaths make up something like 7% of US physicians and only slightly more than that in the armed forces, there's been a radical shift towards more and more osteopaths taking HPSP in recent years (someone said there are more DOs than MDs on HPSP, but I didn't see that verified). I wouldn't worry about too much discrimination about being an osteopath on the military side of things.

Evan,

Congratz again man that is very impressive...speaks volumes to being a well-rounded applicant.

Notdeadyet,
You’re right, experiences constitute more significance during the interview than they do in the initial sift. But you brought up a really good point that I forgot to address. All of you are right; there are four things med schools look at for the most part. First- MCAT and GPA, second-MCAT and GPA, and Third-MCAT and GPA. Finally, if there is any time, they just might look at your PS, activities, ect. This is mostly because there is no way to validate the self reported information you put on your application. The Adcoms expect a degree of embellishment, exaggeration, and lies, so they place less emphasis on this part. So if you are someone like me, a ****** who busts his ass, then try to validate any of your experiences. I had several of my captains certify some of the things I did in their LOR’s. But even that can even be a little too subjective and informal for Adcoms.
Let’s take a friend of mine and use him as an example. He had a 3.2 in an easy major and a 29 on the MCAT. Not a rock star by any stand point, but he was an excellent strategist. He worked EMS with me full-time while in college, an instead of just reporting that in the activities section, he went to human resources and got a notarized employee history report that stated he worked 7,200 hours over the last 2 and ¾ years, and sent a copy to the schools he applied to. Many kids might aggrandize their work experience on their application; their part time job cleaning crap in a hospital, turns into a full-time position on the trauma team when it gets transcribed. But he sent proof that he had to work his way through college, that his parents didn’t pay for his MCAT class, and that he was able to stay up all night at work, then go into orgo and take a final. He ended up getting into 3 M.D. schools (he wasn’t URM either), and two M.D. Waitlists that he withdrew from. He didn’t get into Harvard, Washington, or Stanford, but at the end of the day, he will still have an M.D. after his name.
Once again, I agree with you all. Experiences and background don’t compensate for poor academic performance. But if you can possibly give a reason ( and proof to back it up) why your grades aren’t as good as many of your peers, Then do it! Do your best to put the odds in your favor. If you had to work really hard and had additional responsibilities that other applicants might not have, then an adcom screener might be really receptive to that if you can prove it. I understand there are at least ten pre-meds that don’t make it, for every one of Me or my friends that does. But all I’m saying is it’s not over Medschoolapps, Keep your head up!

He had a 3.2 in an easy major and a 29 on the MCAT. Not a rock star by any stand point, but he was an excellent strategist. He worked EMS with me full-time while in college, an instead of just reporting that in the activities section, he went to human resources and got a notarized employee history report that stated he worked 7,200 hours over the last 2 and ¾ years, and sent a copy to the schools he applied to.
This is a lesson that some people don't learn until late: if he just bit the bullet and took out loans so that he could actually focus on his studies and not make his education an afterthought, he might very well have had a better GPA and higher MCAT.

I really don't understand why people get so penny-wise and pound-foolish. You have one shot at your undergrad education and your undergrad education is one of the biggest parts of your application. If you sacrifice that for the sake of saving some money on loans, you're essentially saying that your getting in to medical school is a lower priority than saving a few bucks.

I worked through undergrad too, but I wasn't going to go to med school. When I came back to do postbac, I saved up and took out some loans, and gave it my all. Anything else would have been poor thinking.

Proof that you worked through college with a stellar app shows you can juggle priorities. Proof you worked through college with a mediocre app shows me you can't and it also makes me worry about judgement. Are you going to be a mediocre medical student because you want to moonlight through med school?

Poor academic performance can be somewhat excused, but only by things beyond your control. Poor academic performance by choice does not look favorable. Trying to save some loan money by working instead of studying as much as you should be is choice.

The ONLY exception I've seen that really looks reasonable is folks who are saddled with kids and have a spouse they doesn't work. I don't know how these folks do it at all.

Looking back now, it was foolish. I can only speak for myself, but I assume the same principle applies to my friend and medschoolapps; I never thought I had a shot in hell at becoming a doctor, and my goal was to make sure I didn’t have any debt if I became a high-school biology teacher. Perhaps it was simply a lack of confidence or just a short-sighted mentality. Regardless, it was too late to do anything about it by the time my friends and I applied; we did the best we could with what we had. I consider you to be fortunate in that you had four additional years of experience and wisdom when you formulated your plan to get into medical school, and I’m glad it worked out well for you.

Looking back now, it was foolish.
Hey, at the end of the day, there's no arguing with success. And now that you've done it, it's great not having that much debt hanging over your head.

I just would hate to recommend that path to folks. It's very easy to inadvertantly close shut the opportunity to ever becoming a doctor for the sake of debt aversion. And that's a worse crime than 8.5% interest on student loans.

Best of luck...

I completely agree with the fact that the primary emphasis is on MCAT and GPA. In terms of extra curriculars, what I've noticed throughout the app process is that is that your schools don't care so much that extra curriculars demonstrate you already have medical knowledge. That's what you're going to school for. I believe they are looking to see that you're doing something that demonstrates you have a genuine interest and passion for medicine and are getting into it for the right reasons. If you convey that either in essay or interview, I don't think the number of hours you spent doing this or that are so important.

Sorry to change the subject, but is anyone here interviewing this Thursday? If so were you picked up by a host? I guess they didn't have enough host volunteers this time around. Time to book a last minute hotel.

Anyways, I fly in fairly early and will have a lot of time to kill. Anyone interested in grabbing dinner and a beer?

Every interview I had this cycle asked me specifically "How many hours do you work?" They seemed impressed with my schedule and definitely focussed on my hospital/medical experiences. Maybe my interview experiences were unique?

Members don't see this ad :)
Every interview I had this cycle asked me specifically "How many hours do you work?" They seemed impressed with my schedule and definitely focussed on my hospital/medical experiences. Maybe my interview experiences were unique?
When you get to the interview stage, if they are focusing on your academics, your application is weak. If they are asking you question about your hospital and medical experiences, it means that they're confident in your academic abilities and want to get to know you. If you're offered a cigar or cocktail, start looking for housing.

When you get to the interview stage, if they are focusing on your academics, your application is weak. If they are asking you question about your hospital and medical experiences, it means that they're confident in your academic abilities and want to get to know you. If you're offered a cigar or cocktail, start looking for housing.

Except USUHS interviewers don't have access to your grades if I recall correctly. I believe they just get your essay.

Except USUHS interviewers don't have access to your grades if I recall correctly. I believe they just get your essay.

Thats correct. All they have are your essays and I believe a list of your EC's. They know nothing about your grades. However, my interviewer asked me about my grades.

Thats correct. All they have are your essays and I believe a list of your EC's. They know nothing about your grades. However, my interviewer asked me about my grades.

I had a similar experience. The funny thing is that the admissions committee wanted me to write an essay to explain my lower than average GPA, and this was included with the rest of my essays, so the interviewer essentially had access to my grades :laugh:

I had a similar experience. The funny thing is that the admissions committee wanted me to write an essay to explain my lower than average GPA, and this was included with the rest of my essays, so the interviewer essentially had access to my grades :laugh:

They asked me to write that essay last year. This year they asked me why I didn't send them a new secondary essay, despite the fact that I changed many parts of the essay (updated with information about new activities, etc). The only parts I kept were the ones that... don't really change (ie: how I first found out about military med, etc).

i guess Monday 12/15 is another big day for phone calls??? good luck to all those waiting!

I will cry if I don't hear back this Monday. I've been waiting for 2.5 months :(

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet... I read through as much of 28 pages as I could, but sorry if this concept is repeated.

I applied to USUHS in July, 3.85 overall, 3.5 science, 28P....

I hadn't heard anything, so I sent e-mails and a letter, no reply. Called last week and they said my application had been pulled for not completing General Chemistry I, II, and II lab (apparently I lab was OK)

The reason? They don't accept AP Chemistry credit.

So, just some forewarning to future applicants: USUHS will not accept AP Chemistry for the 1-year inorganic chemistry requirement.

Wish I knew that before I spent all that time on the apps.

Life goes on.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet... I read through as much of 28 pages as I could, but sorry if this concept is repeated.

I applied to USUHS in July, 3.85 overall, 3.5 science, 28P....

I hadn't heard anything, so I sent e-mails and a letter, no reply. Called last week and they said my application had been pulled for not completing General Chemistry I, II, and II lab (apparently I lab was OK)

The reason? They don't accept AP Chemistry credit.

So, just some forewarning to future applicants: USUHS will not accept AP Chemistry for the 1-year inorganic chemistry requirement.

Wish I knew that before I spent all that time on the apps.

Life goes on.

That's rough that you found out after completing the app, but I was under the impression that no medical school out there accepts AP credit for pre-med requirements. Is this not the case?

That's rough that you found out after completing the app, but I was under the impression that no medical school out there accepts AP credit for pre-med requirements. Is this not the case?

agree with above. I think some will take it, but hell, it's an easy A.

i guess Monday 12/15 is another big day for phone calls??? good luck to all those waiting!

There's probably no much chance they'll be calling for our interview date, right? I'm hoping/betting we'll be hearing on Jan. 15th. What do you think?

My academic adviser told me freshman year that AP would work fine for the most part.

I've scoured the USUHS site and other one's I've applied to (you've got me a little worried) and have found no policies regarding AP.

Just out of curiosity... any reasoning that makes sense behind not accepting AP? Seems that people who take AP are the more ambitious, more driven students.

My academic adviser told me freshman year that AP would work fine for the most part.

I've scoured the USUHS site and other one's I've applied to (you've got me a little worried) and have found no policies regarding AP.

Just out of curiosity... any reasoning that makes sense behind not accepting AP? Seems that people who take AP are the more ambitious, more driven students.
Because scoring a 5 on an AP exam isn't as hard as scoring an A in two semesters of undergraduate level general chemistry

I think they want you to take it in college since it will factor into your BCMP GPA sort of as a way to compare you to other applicants. That might not be why since the difficulty differs from school to school. I think that its just assumed that its tougher in college than high school. I was under the impression that most schools didn't accept AP or IB credit. I had IB credit and didn't take Gen Chem I. That being said though I was a chem major so i took a semester of advanced inorganic and two semesters of pchem.

Good luck with the process man

Also, I'm fairly certain its the same for bio but since there are a lot more upper level bio classes it doesn't seem to be as big of a problem....ie most people who get credit for intro bio and decide to go to medical school usually take more bio classes. I can almost guarantee that non-chem majors never take inorganic or pchem but its more likely that non-bio majors will take more bio classes (cell, anatomy and physiology, biochem, genetics....) and that bio majors who test out of bio 1and2 will take some upper level bio classes (as above)that satisfy requirements. I'd call and ask if you hadn't heard anything back yet though.

Last edited:
There's probably no much chance they'll be calling for our interview date, right? I'm hoping/betting we'll be hearing on Jan. 15th. What do you think?
you interviewed on 11/20? Yeah i don't think so. if we hear back on 1/15 we'll be lucky. we'll probably hear back 2/1. i know that sounds like ages from now!

The AP policy for USUHS can be found in there catalog and in the FAQ section. That being aid I took credit for AP English and they did not have a problem with that when I called them about it over the summer. They just said they didn't want any of the sciences being from AP credit.

Also, for those ever applying to texas medical schools they do accept AP credit.

Because scoring a 5 on an AP exam isn't as hard as scoring an A in two semesters of undergraduate level general chemistry

Not to mention many schools grant credit for a 3 and above on an AP test.

Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting. I have an interview on 1/15/2009. Any tips or suggestions?

Also, did anyone do the host program and was it helpful?

Hello everyone,

Long time reader, first time posting. I have an interview on 1/15/2009. Any tips or suggestions?

Also, did anyone do the host program and was it helpful?

Read this thread a few pages back . . . occasionally we discuss interview questions, plus a lot of other good info.

also see this thread:
http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=89&sort=0

this helped me prepare for mine. you can go back several years too, the interview questions don't change much!

In other news..

2009 BAH rates released today:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/12/12152008tns_bahrates/

For USUHS (DC area)-

1,662/mo for O-1 w/o dependents
1,964/mo for O-1 w/ dependents

Also, I've attached an excel file that calculates the total pay next near for O-1 w/o prior service and w/o dependents... take home pay will be $4,029.68/mo after taxes and incl 2009 BAS, BAH, but not including uniform stipend, etc.

Attachments

• pay.xls
    15 KB · Views: 237
In other news..

For USUHS (DC area)-

Also, I've attached an excel file that calculates the total pay next near for O-1 w/o prior service and w/o dependents... take home pay will be $4,029.68/mo after taxes and incl 2009 BAS, BAH, but not including uniform stipend, etc.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

it blows my mind every time i run these numbers with my LT > 8 years pay . . .it's amazing what a great deal USUHS has become. no wonder they had so many applicants this year.

speaking of applicants . . . I take it nobody heard back today (or at least nobody posted here)???

In other news..

For USUHS (DC area)-

this is awesome

Since we're on the topic of pay, I thought I'd share this link:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/fy2008paycharts/a/saloffless.htm
It takes all the base pay (+ BAH, BAS, and tax credits) and shows what a civilian would have to make in order to get the same compensation and benefits. Of course, it doesn't take into account all the extra medical money, but you get the idea. Oh, and these are the 2008 numbers, so they will be higher once we all start.

anyone have any idea when we should expect paperwork on commissioning?

anyone have any idea when we should expect paperwork on commissioning?

It says in the unconditional letter that our branches will not contact us until after May 15 to start our paperwork. It makes it sound like the commissioning paperwork will be taken care of in all if this too.

It says in the unconditional letter that our branches will not contact us until after May 15 to start our paperwork. It makes it sound like the commissioning paperwork will be taken care of in all if this too.

when did your unconditional come? Weren't you worried about getting DQed for a history of childhood asthma? Congrats man

when did your unconditional come? Weren't you worried about getting DQed for a history of childhood asthma? Congrats man

My letter came yesterday. I did get DQ'd but Mrs. Patterson helped me through the whole waiver process and I easily obtained a waiver for the asthma. Thanks I am very excited and can't wait to meet everybody else that is having to go to OBLC in the summer. Should be fun.

Sorry to change the subject a little bit, but I got an e-mail today asking for my fall grades. This something to be excited about or everyone not interviewed so far get it?

Sorry to change the subject a little bit, but I got an e-mail today asking for my fall grades. This something to be excited about or everyone not interviewed so far get it?

hmm. i dunno, i haven't heard of anyone else getting such a request. are you taking classes this fall that are med school pre-reqs? It might be a good idea to call the Admissions office, just to touch base and see why they're requesting it. (I'd call, not email).

BTW, for everyone, check out the USUHS class of 2013 thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=567903&page=3
some more info about acceptances and where they are wrt Navy spots

Not pre-reqs, done with all those, taking more advance science. I didn't do so great in my first BS, but I also hadn't decided on what I wanted to do. Since deciding I have had a 3.8+ with a 4.0 in science except for an A- in biochem. I was taking some more advance science (phys, micro, etc) this semester so maybe they wanted to see that trend continue? I don't know. I'll call later.

Hey Dr. Medal - do you remember if it was COL Lisa Moores who gave a presentation during our visit? I'm trying to remember all the people I talked to that day.