What to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeddieBelle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get made fun of... but I was wondering what did everyone wear to interviews and what do you suggest that others wear? For girls I'm guessing close toed shoes, pantyhoes, skirts to knees or pants. Does it matter what color? I personally hate black so would it be ok to wear something else? Also hair up or down? Is it better to wear pants or skirts or does it even matter? Also for fun, did you see anyone wear something crazy?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TeddieBelle said:
I'm probably going to get made fun of... but I was wondering what did everyone wear to interviews and what do you suggest that others wear? For girls I'm guessing close toed shoes, pantyhoes, skirts to knees or pants. Does it matter what color? I personally hate black so would it be ok to wear something else? Also hair up or down? Is it better to wear pants or skirts or does it even matter? Also for fun, did you see anyone wear something crazy?
Thanks!

you won't get made fun of, there were several long threads about this back in the fall. the consensus (and my opinon as well from interviewing) is that you must wear a suit, it can be one with either pants or a skirt, and in any conservative color. Black was the most prevalant, but mine was navy, I saw at least one girl with a tan/cream one and any other conservative color like grey would also be ok. nobody wore anything crazy, but i think someone on here said they flashed the interviewer on accident... definitly check out those old threads... :)

edit: i just reread your post and realized i didnt finish answering it. I think you definitly have the right idea with everything you said, closed toed shoes, the skirt should be knee length-ish,etc. Hair can be whatever you're comfortable with as long as it's neat and clean and not anything really wierd or have any wierd colors in it :) like i said from your post it sounds like if you use your best judgement you will be fine.

Biogirl361 said:
you won't get made fun of, there were several long threads about this back in the fall. the consensus (and my opinon as well from interviewing) is that you must wear a suit, it can be one with either pants or a skirt, and in any conservative color. Black was the most prevalant, but mine was navy, I saw at least one girl with a tan/cream one and any other conservative color like grey would also be ok. nobody wore anything crazy, but i think someone on here said they flashed the interviewer on accident... definitly check out those old threads... :)

edit: i just reread your post and realized i didnt finish answering it. I think you definitly have the right idea with everything you said, closed toed shoes, the skirt should be knee length-ish,etc. Hair can be whatever you're comfortable with as long as it's neat and clean and not anything really wierd or have any wierd colors in it :) like i said from your post it sounds like if you use your best judgement you will be fine.

Thanks for the reply!!!! I'll definatly look up some of those threads from last year too! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Biogirl361 said:

HAHA, the accidental flashing was definitly me. Make sure your buttons are not loose! :laugh:

wear something you would wear to a job interview.

Ann Taylor suits are delicious.

I'm still wondering what I should wear to orientation. Does anyone know how formal orientation is? What do guy s and girls wear?

orientation? whatever the school's dress code is. If there is none, go for casual, khaki's and a nice shirt.

for the interview, go for a power suit w/ a skirt, navy with pinstripes and a light purple blouse. A girl who intererviewed here a month or so ago had me captivated with an outfit like that.

Whenever I went to my interview I was one of 8 girls there. Every single one of them had on a black suit with a different colored shirt underneath (most had on pants, one had on a knee-length skirt). All of the girls either had their hair straight or pulled back into a ponytail. I, on the other hand, must have missed the "pony tail/black suit" memo :laugh: because I wore black pants and a very cute baby pink sweater that had a cow neck that folded down over the shoulders (its hard to explain) and my hair was flipped out. I think that I stood out as an individual (keep in mind, this was an informal group interview). The best thing to keep in mind is to be yourself. I did, and I got in!

TeddieBelle, I'm from MO too. Are you looking into UMKC?

I heard of a guy who wore shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to his interview. I think he had great stats and had already gotten in somewhere else, but that's pretty funny. :laugh:

TeddieBelle, I'm from MO too. Are you looking into UMKC?[/QUOTE]

Yes I am! :) However, I'm an AR resident so it will be a bit harder for me I think...

i saw a guy wearing a tang top with his cap backwards >_> ..plus a huge baggy suit...looks kinda like SNOOP DAWG! :laugh: i dont think it went well for him.... :thumbdown: .