If you could do it over would you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MSc44

HI

I frequently hear practicing physicians, even the ones who somewhat enjoy what they do, say that they would not do it again if given the chance. Im currentlyin the process of deciding wether or not to go to med school. I was just wondering how you residents feel about this, would you do it over again
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No doubt, i would do it over again.

No. Only by actually going through medical school can you fully understand someones answer. I will tell you like a person on the admission committee at my school told me when I visited the school after being accepted:

medical school is one of those experiences that you can never adequately describe to people well enough for them really understand it; you just have to experience it for yourself.

You just have to experience it yourself. If you want to be a doctor, don't let the answers here or by any other Physician stop you. Just know you have to want to do this more than you ever wanted to do anything in your life and that med school is one thing that most people can only do once. So do not misinterpret the "no" reponses as necessarily being regret. I am a finishing up on my third year and am happy that I had it in me to make it this far and I am looking forward to practicing but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't.

would I do it all over again? Ask me again in 4 years when I've finished residency. I've got a feeling that 4 years of medical school was a lot easier than the next 4 years.

MSc44 said:
HI

I frequently hear practicing physicians, even the ones who somewhat enjoy what they do, say that they would not do it again if given the chance. Im currentlyin the process of deciding wether or not to go to med school. I was just wondering how you residents feel about this, would you do it over again
thanks
YES!

Yes... But then again, I'm at the tail end of 4th year right now and been on vacation for the last 6 months!

But seriously, I would do it again. The main reason why is the same reason that Capt.Hook.Hamate would not do it again--B/c you can only truly understand what medicine is all about if you go through medical school. It is a VERY long and grueling path and it will suck the life out of you during your prime (early-mid 20's). Just realize that it is NO JOKE and you'll be tucked away in a cubicle studying 12 hrs a day while your non-medical buddies in law or MBA school are getting drunk and partying. You just have to want it and have the desire. The main thing is to know that YOU want to do it....

waterski232002 said:
Just realize that it is NO JOKE and you'll be tucked away in a cubicle studying 12 hrs a day while your non-medical buddies in law or MBA school are getting drunk and partying. You

Drunk, partying, and earning mucho dinero while you have med school, residency, and potentially fellowship to look forward to before you earn any kind of real salary (I won't mention student loans).

Would I do it again ... I honestly don't know. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE medicine. I love my job. And we really do get paid ridiculously high salaries for what we do .......

But of course your earning life span is much reduced (big bucks in your early to mid thirties vs mid twenties). And I just have this feeling I lost the best years of my life studying in a library. When I look at my MBA, lawyer, or computer geek friends, I wonder if all the nonsense I put up with (and will continue to put up with) is/was worth it. They have money, houses, cars ... time for their families, kids ... while I sit here thinking, no kids until after residency (but the longer we wait, the older we get ... risks for Down's etc go up and up). Can I afford a home on a resident's salary? What if my old beat up car dies?

I love medicine. I love the interactions with patients. But there are easier ways to make a living ... and it is a LONG road to get there.

My usual advice when someone asks me if they should go to med school is to try and talk them out of it. If they still want to go ... they will probably be ok. You have to love what we do or the medical machine will grind you into a pulp. And I do love what I do, but I think even I am getting ground down with time.

Would I do this again? Hmmmm...probably. Like others have said, this is something you can't understand fully until you've done it (and even then I'm not entirely sure that I understand it). I think the main reason that I'd likely go down this road again is that there's nothing else I've ever wanted to do. If, however, I thought I could be equally happy in some other profession, I doubt that I'd volunteer for this again. Despite the fact that the work is draining and that my schedule is dictated to me, I really do love what I'm doing (OB/GYN excluded). Still, I definitely have moments when I wish I had the life of a "normal" 25 year old guy (whatever that means). But, as my non-medical friends like to point out, this is the life I chose and I'm gonna make TONS of money some day. right? right? OK, maybe not, but I will get paid pretty well and, assuming that I continue to like my job, that's a pretty good deal.

If you're unsure about medicine as a career, think about other things you might like to do. If you can do it with your current level of education, take some time to try it out while volunteering in some health-related setting. After awhile, you'll figure out what you want. Good luck with your decision.

no. if i could go back in time, i would pay the medical schools NOT to accept me. i want my life back. it's not what you think. trust me. get out while you can.

i'll echo what waterski said - you really have to want to be a physician, not to be rich or well-known or whatever. there are plenty of other professions where you will make more money, sooner, and have less debt. but if medicine is really what you love, it's not as arduous. it is no pleasure cruise and there are much more fun things to do with your 20's, but it's really a decision you have to make. you will be telling your non-medical friends "no, i can't" a lot, but you also get some nice blocks of time to do some amazing things if you so desire.

talk to as many people as you can about their reasons for going into medicine too - that can be more enlightening than exactly why they do or do not enjoy it now. for some it was parents' insistence or illusions of fame and riches, or an incomplete understanding of the amount of work involved.

tough question. if you want to be the oldest of your friends, most of which you carried through high school or college, and still be the brokest, while even a shoe salesman make 30K while you build up 40K in debt. Medicine is definitely not what it used to be. Patients and communities don't respect docs and do not realize that we will work at least 20 hours a week on average more than most, and keep getting paid less, no matter if we are the best in our specialty. Try asking an accountant or architect to all get paid the same regardless of service and quality rendered?? Medical school is a humbling experience. People will drive mercedes and shop around for the cheapest gas and oil change, yet expect bypass surgery or a life-saving trip to the ER to be free. it still is a field that can be very satisfactory and most of us i believe just like to be around people, involved in their lives, and care for the masses. if it is for money, prestige, etc. look again at the top 1

tough question. if you want to be the oldest of your friends, most of which you carried through high school or college, and still be the brokest, while even a shoe salesman make 30K while you build up 40K in debt. Medicine is definitely not what it used to be. Patients and communities don't respect docs and do not realize that we will work at least 20 hours a week on average more than most, and keep getting paid less, no matter if we are the best in our specialty. Try asking an accountant or architect to all get paid the same regardless of service and quality rendered?? Medical school is a humbling experience. People will drive mercedes and shop around for the cheapest gas and oil change, yet expect bypass surgery or a life-saving trip to the ER to be free. it still is a field that can be very satisfactory and most of us i believe just like to be around people, involved in their lives, and care for the masses. if it is for money, prestige, etc. look again at the top richest/famous in the world, you won't see docs anywhere near the list!!

MSc44 said:
sacrament,

why not if u dont mind me asking

Because it isn't worth it. This is something that is impossible to explain to those pre-meds who are super-amped-up about medicine... and a significant portion of those same pre-meds will eventually find themselves right here where I am: realizing that it just isn't worth it. Idealism is difficult to maintain in the climate of the modern medical system. It's a good job with a terrible lifestyle.

sacrament said:
Because it isn't worth it. This is something that is impossible to explain to those pre-meds who are super-amped-up about medicine... and a significant portion of those same pre-meds will eventually find themselves right here where I am: realizing that it just isn't worth it. Idealism is difficult to maintain in the climate of the modern medical system. It's a good job with a terrible lifestyle.

I'd do it all over again, but your point is a good one. Most people have no clue what they're getting themselves into. It is indeed a serious drain, and takes a tremendous toll on your life. I still love it, however.

No. i did med school. wrong turn, i just see it as another chapter in my life.

"what with government intervention, insurance companies taking control of your business, malpractice insurance, suits;.. I wouldn't wish the financial challenges faced by today's doctors on my worst enemies..."

-kiyosaki (rich dad, poor dad)

Learn the art of being able to study with a massive hangover and you can have just as much fun in med school as everyone else. I have one right now and still managed to get in a good 5 hours of work. :D

No.

That's the short answer. The long answer is much too long to type tonight. For now I'll just say that...well...I'm going to turn 34 next month and I'm now just finishing med school. My friends in my age group are all well established in their careers, some have families, they're investing in real estate, taking great vacations...basically living a LIFE. My existence for the past 8 years has not resembled in any way, shape or form...a real life. The next four years aren't much more promising. However, I have made choices and committments (HPSP) and so I will continue marching forward, and will strive to be the best intern/resident/attending I can be, despite my regrets.

I do not see myself in medicine in 10 years, though. I have already set my backup plan in motion. Better late than never.

Teufelhunden said:
No.

That's the short answer. The long answer is much too long to type tonight. For now I'll just say that...well...I'm going to turn 34 next month and I'm now just finishing med school. My friends in my age group are all well established in their careers, some have families, they're investing in real estate, taking great vacations...basically living a LIFE. My existence for the past 8 years has not resembled in any way, shape or form...a real life. The next four years aren't much more promising. However, I have made choices and committments (HPSP) and so I will continue marching forward, and will strive to be the best intern/resident/attending I can be, despite my regrets.

I do not see myself in medicine in 10 years, though. I have already set my backup plan in motion. Better late than never.

Can I ask what this backup plan is? Just curious.

Absolutely.

I had a previous career and I would absolutely do it again. Yes there are parts that suck, but by the time I decided to go the MD route I knew it was what I wanted to do. And I love being an MD, even with all the crappy stuff that goes along with it. 99 per cent of the time, I love going to work. I am closing in on finishing residency and considering fellowship and am very happy.

I loved medical school (most of the time) and residency has been great as well. I consider myself very lucky to have found a field that I love. I hated my previous career and was *very* cautious about deciding to go to medical school. Some doubt is normal but make sure its what you want to do. Its a really hard four years and then their is residency and if you don't like it, you will be miserable

I would do it again. Sure, med school had it's good times and some rough times. I hated third year med school but it wasn't necessarily because of the work. Being an MS-3 was a total blow to the ego...but anything that forces you to be more humble is a good thing in the end.

Always knew that I wanted to study disease at a scientific level. And I found a field that would allow me to do that quite well. So all in all, I'm happy with the choice I made.

The answer is NO, NO, NO!!!
Why?
1. Life taken away for four years of medical school and then five years residency (ortho). Actually I had a little more life then some of my classmates thanx to a wife and ETOH.
2. Debt (say no more)
3. I took time off and had a real life before medical school, so I missed the time and $$$$ more.
4. Lawyers.
5. Declining compensation

That is all for now.

On the flip side, I get to operate and do exactly what I wanted to do :)

I'm finishing up my PGY-1 year as a transitional intern. About to start anesthesiology in July. After having done various rotations, and now in the ER, I realize medicine is nothing like I assumed it to be. Some of the patients I treat here in the ER are from the lowest rung of society: drug-seeking *****s who seem to ask for more pain meds even though they're also running out on their hypertensive or anti-convulsant meds; pts who have had no follow-up for months while they let their GSWs from months ago become gangrenous and pustulent because "i have other more important matters to attend to"; psychotic patients who are experiencing paranoid delusions after weeks to months of non-compliance with their meds, homeless pts who were brought in by police after being found on the street passed out after EtOH intoxication.
Did I ever imagine myself going through 4 years of med school and waking up at ungodly hours and working on the weekends while my friends are out partying and picking up women for this? Hell no! But would I do it all over again! HELL YES! Why? Because for every useless pt I see and treat, there are just as many pts who are genuinely sick and require intervention. Most of them say "thank you" and that's all I could ever ask for. While at times I experience feelings of disgruntlement, I leave the hospital with immeasurable gratification.
Once I start my anesthesiology rotations, I think these feelings of disappointment and anger will dissipate, especially since there isn't as much doctor-patient interaction in anesthesia. ..

drlee said:
I'm finishing up my PGY-1 year as a transitional intern. About to start anesthesiology in July. After having done various rotations, and now in the ER, I realize medicine is nothing like I assumed it to be. Some of the patients I treat here in the ER are from the lowest rung of society: drug-seeking *****s who seem to ask for more pain meds even though they're also running out on their hypertensive or anti-convulsant meds; pts who have had no follow-up for months while they let their GSWs from months ago become gangrenous and pustulent because "i have other more important matters to attend to"; psychotic patients who are experiencing paranoid delusions after weeks to months of non-compliance with their meds, homeless pts who were brought in by police after being found on the street passed out after EtOH intoxication.
Did I ever imagine myself going through 4 years of med school and waking up at ungodly hours and working on the weekends while my friends are out partying and picking up women for this? Hell no! But would I do it all over again! HELL YES! Why? Because for every useless pt I see and treat, there are just as many pts who are genuinely sick and require intervention. Most of them say "thank you" and that's all I could ever ask for. While at times I experience feelings of disgruntlement, I leave the hospital with immeasurable gratification.
Once I start my anesthesiology rotations, I think these feelings of disappointment and anger will dissipate, especially since there isn't as much doctor-patient interaction in anesthesia. ..

When I did my psych rotation I remember speaking to loads of people on drug/EtOH rehab. And a lot of them came from very deprived areas and lived a life of crime and poverty. I used to think that it would be utterly impossible for me to ever find compassion with these types of people… then I listened to their story. I realized that everyone is unique and wouldn’t be the way they are if it wasn’t for specific reasons… most being out of their own control.

I know there isn’t much time to sit down and listen to someone’s story in the ER but keeping what I’ve just said in mind can help in feeling compassion in situations where you think you wouldn't.

the compensation in medicine has really gone to shzz.

it's almost as if you have to really want to do it :)

No

Wouldn't do it. Not because i don't love medicine anymore, but because of all the crap you go through during medical school. The crap that has nothing to do with medicine! Also, I learned that the majority of the time whether as a resident or a med student, you do not practice medicine. It is 90% dealing with filling documents, discharge orders...etc. I heard in private practice it is even worse as far as paper work. I think what will keep me going is i love medicine and my patients.

Good luck.

Deek said:
No

Wouldn't do it. Not because i don't love medicine anymore, but because of all the crap you go through during medical school. The crap that has nothing to do with medicine! Also, I learned that the majority of the time whether as a resident or a med student, you do not practice medicine. It is 90% dealing with filling documents, discharge orders...etc. I heard in private practice it is even worse as far as paper work. I think what will keep me going is i love medicine and my patients.

Good luck.

don't u think it will be better once u finish your training?

No way, not a chance. But I don't really know what I would choose to do instead either. Drinking beer and watching sports just haven't made it as a career path. Like just about everyone who've posted here have said, medical school is so different in ways that are hard to explain than you could possibly imagine. There is really little resemblance between what I pictured medical school, residency, and practice to be like and the reality. At times you may feel misled. It is in some ways a bit of a trap, the med school thing, and by the time you have a grasp on it, it is too late to easily turn back. I am a little surprised how many positive responses there have been here. I can't decide if these are just better people, more naive, or folks who chose their specialties wiser. For me, the whole experience and how bizarre it really is have proven to be isolating. You simply cannot explain or complain to your friends, family, spouse about the realities of medicine and expect them to really be able to understand. Even when they listen and sympathize and seem to get it, they really don't. Try it and see. Other docs will nod knowingly, but everyone else is left out of the little club.

I can recall a clinical professor telling our class one day late in the M2 year, "You will never be as nice a person as you are right now." It has proven to be true for alot of us. That is one major reason I wouldn't do it over. In some ways, I would rather be the person I was before I went to med school, even if it was founded on ignorance and naivete. I wasn't nearly as cynical, impatient, hateful, and disinterested toward humanity in general. I didn't stay so stressed all the time. The water tasted better. The air was fresher. I wasn't so fat.

I don't see too many practicing docs who unequivocally without pause would say they would do it all over. Most don't REALLY enjoy seeing the majority of their patients; they have to see them to be able to do what it is they do for/to them. The patient happens to be the only place to find coronaries to stent, etc. Just check out the tremendous resentment clinical docs have toward those who managed to avoid the whole seeing-patients-for-a-living bit, particularly rads. Seeing patients is a terrible burden alot of the time. You cannot appreciate how many crazy, stupid, and screwed-up people are out there until you go to med school. People you wouldn't even come across on your worst day in Walmart will suddenly be there in the ER to see you. The personality pathology alone is astonishing. Reasonable, intelligent people are so rare. You truly get a different view of human nature as a doc.

People are much less respectful and appreciative in general than you probably expect. It is a business through and through. Managed care runs everything. Cookbook medicine is rampant. Forget about much intellectual stimulation. The reseach being done is mostly worthless and tainted by drug companies. Evidence-based medicine is a lie and a hoax. Administrators will drive you nuts. You get put in impossible situations all the time. Gomers really don't die, it's true. You'll send granny to a nursing homes and not even think twice about it. You'll be ordering pain meds and benzos for all sorts of losers like a waiter in some cheap restaurant. They'll demand demerol, and send it with phenergan on the side. No, don't try to substitute, look at all those drug allergies.

What was it called? The Hypocritic Oath? Something like that.

roygbasch said:
No way, not a chance. But I don't really know what I would choose to do instead either. Drinking beer and watching sports just haven't made it as a career path. Like just about everyone who've posted here have said, medical school is so different in ways that are hard to explain than you could possibly imagine. There is really little resemblance between what I pictured medical school, residency, and practice to be like and the reality. At times you may feel misled. It is in some ways a bit of a trap, the med school thing, and by the time you have a grasp on it, it is too late to easily turn back. I am a little surprised how many positive responses there have been here. I can't decide if these are just better people, more naive, or folks who chose their specialties wiser. For me, the whole experience and how bizarre it really is have proven to be isolating. You simply cannot explain or complain to your friends, family, spouse about the realities of medicine and expect them to really be able to understand. Even when they listen and sympathize and seem to get it, they really don't. Try it and see. Other docs will nod knowingly, but everyone else is left out of the little club.

I can recall a clinical professor telling our class one day late in the M2 year, "You will never be as nice a person as you are right now." It has proven to be true for alot of us. That is one major reason I wouldn't do it over. In some ways, I would rather be the person I was before I went to med school, even if it was founded on ignorance and naivete. I wasn't nearly as cynical, impatient, hateful, and disinterested toward humanity in general. I didn't stay so stressed all the time. The water tasted better. The air was fresher. I wasn't so fat.

I don't see too many practicing docs who unequivocally without pause would say they would do it all over. Most don't REALLY enjoy seeing the majority of their patients; they have to see them to be able to do what it is they do for/to them. The patient happens to be the only place to find coronaries to stent, etc. Just check out the tremendous resentment clinical docs have toward those who managed to avoid the whole seeing-patients-for-a-living bit, particularly rads. Seeing patients is a terrible burden alot of the time. You cannot appreciate how many crazy, stupid, and screwed-up people are out there until you go to med school. People you wouldn't even come across on your worst day in Walmart will suddenly be there in the ER to see you. The personality pathology alone is astonishing. Reasonable, intelligent people are so rare. You truly get a different view of human nature as a doc.

People are much less respectful and appreciative in general than you probably expect. It is a business through and through. Managed care runs everything. Cookbook medicine is rampant. Forget about much intellectual stimulation. The reseach being done is mostly worthless and tainted by drug companies. Evidence-based medicine is a lie and a hoax. Administrators will drive you nuts. You get put in impossible situations all the time. Gomers really don't die, it's true. You'll send granny to a nursing homes and not even think twice about it. You'll be ordering pain meds and benzos for all sorts of losers like a waiter in some cheap restaurant. They'll demand demerol, and send it with phenergan on the side. No, don't try to substitute, look at all those drug allergies.

What was it called? The Hypocritic Oath? Something like that.

wow. the more i read about the pros and cons of a career in medicine and talk to doctors about it the more i find doctors who share these kinds of feelings. are there many doctors left who enjoy waking up every morning and going to their job or do most of them do it because they've trained so long to get there that they feel trapped in their career?

Roy-

As much as I'm depressed by what you've written, I thank you for it. Great post, and very candid.

The common, recurring theme of "you cannot possibly understand unless you do it" is both scary and encouraging. How can we know unless we do it? I hope that when I'm through with it I am glad.

But life goes on. And they call it work for a reason.

Best wishes and best of luck to all!

dc

Teufelhunden said:
No.

Man, that depressed the hell out of me, but props to you for having the courage to recognize such things. Many (most?) go on blindly *pretending* to like the things they are too scared to change.

Dire Straits said:
are there many doctors left who enjoy waking up every morning and going to their job or do most of them do it because they've trained so long to get there that they feel trapped in their career?

Sure, there are many who enjoy waking up every morning (my dad is one of them) but it's because he graduated in the early 80s and hit paydirt in terms of compensation and lifestyle. He's peetering out towards the end of his career now so the declining compensation and lifestyle don't phase him much.

do you think the massive debt most med students build up while in undergrad and med school is a major incentive that keeps them in the profession so that they can pay them off? in other words if med school was very cheap or even free like in some other nations do you think more med students would bail out?

Dire Straits said:
do you think the massive debt most med students build up while in undergrad and med school is a major incentive that keeps them in the profession so that they can pay them off? in other words if med school was very cheap or even free like in some other nations do you think more med students would bail out?

Hell yes. I'd say roughly half of the med students I know regularly mention this as the reason they're still plugging ahead. I know that if I wasn't currently $118,000 in debt with another year to go, I'd be bailing.

it'd be interesting to know if in countries where the cost of attending med school is very cheap or free if they have a higher drop out rate compared to the U.S. where med school is considerably expensive.Sacrament are you saying you'd completely walk away from medical school today with no regrets if some benevolent benefactor paid off all your debt?

Dire Straits said:
sacrament are you saying you'd completely walk away from medical school today if some benevolent benefactor paid off all your debt?

Well there are other factors, like the fact that I'm now 28 years old and if I walked away from medicine I'd have to spend X number of years learning some other trade (because I'm not going back to engineering, either). But if I was 23 or something, and somebody offered to pay off my debt right now, then yeah I'd bail.

sacrament said:
Well there are other factors, like the fact that I'm now 28 years old and if I walked away from medicine I'd have to spend X number of years learning some other trade (because I'm not going back to engineering, either). But if I was 23 or something, and somebody offered to pay off my debt right now, then yeah I'd bail.

i suppose the best thing may be to get your M.D. degree but not practice. rather use your M.D. to help find a career that you'll enjoy more and that will make enough money to pay back the debt.

I would definitely do it over again. No profession in the world gives you the autonomy and the trust that a physician gets. Nor the fulfillment of actually making a difference. As I just got through the process of getting a mortgage, I never appreiated medicine more, not only because of the fact that I could get a 240k mortgage making only 41k a year (a non-physician could not even get half that), but also the fact that I sat on the phone for hours witnessing mortgage people vomit up numbers to me and do nothing more than act liek a robot that talks on the phone and reguritate numbers to try and make that .5% interest on me. Sick. Yes, my business friends were out partying all day while I was studying, but when I did go out, I went out more hardcore than all of them combined and I knew as I was going out those fewer nights, that I was doing something noble instead of trying to make a 3% commision on selling some product or exaggerrating my hours to make 45K that year instead of 44K. Granted the drive does have to naturally be in you to withstand 4 years of longer schooling, but it is so worth it when you actually get that diploma and are a doctor at age 26 when others are on their 4th year of a job and had a 4K raise and are applying to another job because they are bored and unhappy. Good luck!

Dire Straits said:

I think that the scary thing is that many of my classmates were starting med school with 100 Gs in debt because they believed some claptrap that they HAD to go to such and such prestigious private school to ensure their acceptance to a medical school where they could go deeper in debt.
Cheap state schools work just as well, if you're motivated enough to do the work and seek out the options.

amen jackie1!!! put me down as a resounding YES. whenever it gets tough (and boy does it) i think of what others i know are doing and i always feel better. would i want to be a phd? a lawyer? an accountant? an investment banker? a teacher? pharmacist or physical therapist? you couldn't pay me enough for any of those daily routines and some of them pay way way less than a physician anyway. my non-med school friends and acquaintances without exception have a great deal of respect for me and often remark that they know they could never handle the work and responsibility.

in any profession there are people who enter it for a variety of reasons, and with a wide range of realization of what they are signing up for. i think this contributes greatly to some of the dissatisfaction voiced. leave med school w/ loans paid off? no i wouldn't, and i am at the upper end of the loan range. if you really want to be a physician you will find a field that offers you the best of what you like intellectually, will expose you to a patient population you enjoy (if any patients at all), and if money drives you well you can factor that in too.

i think it would be interesting to post specialties with these posts - i have a hunch some patterns might emerge based on my interactions with residents at my medical school. i'll start -- i'm a 4th year student, matched in EM.

AMBinNC said:
amen jackie1!!! put me down as a resounding YES. whenever it gets tough (and boy does it) i think of what others i know are doing and i always feel better. would i want to be a phd? a lawyer? an accountant? an investment banker? a teacher? pharmacist or physical therapist? you couldn't pay me enough for any of those daily routines and some of them pay way way less than a physician anyway. my non-med school friends and acquaintances without exception have a great deal of respect for me and often remark that they know they could never handle the work and responsibility.

in any profession there are people who enter it for a variety of reasons, and with a wide range of realization of what they are signing up for. i think this contributes greatly to some of the dissatisfaction voiced. leave med school w/ loans paid off? no i wouldn't, and i am at the upper end of the loan range. if you really want to be a physician you will find a field that offers you the best of what you like intellectually, will expose you to a patient population you enjoy (if any patients at all), and if money drives you well you can factor that in too.

i think it would be interesting to post specialties with these posts - i have a hunch some patterns might emerge based on my interactions with residents at my medical school. i'll start -- i'm a 4th year student, matched in EM.

No, no, no. It's not the specialty that is so telling, it's the place you are in your training. A FOURTH YEAR STUDENT!? Give me a break. You haven't even gone through internship yet. Do you think your student rotations are reality? It will ALL become routine soon enough. You will probably laugh at that post a few years from now. You just haven't been abused enough yet. And believe me, ER docs feel the pain. I'm glad you're so positive right now, you should be. I was too. No, it is more a function of time than anything. That's where the patterns would emerge. Med student = no experience = positive outlook.
Attending = too much experience = sh$tty outlook. :laugh:

Answer to the original question :

Yes i would. 100% sure.

The answer is yes simply because if I didn't I'd always wonder what it would be like if I had.

I was lucky when I was a kid. I wanted to be a lawyer like my dad, and he let me work at his law firm. There I saw the seedy underbelly of law and never looked back. I wish someone had forced me to work in a hospital for a summer as well. Not just volunteering once a week on a Saturday night in the ER, but really getting down and dirty on the floors. I would have known how completely unglamorous medicine truly is.

I often wonder what it would be like if I'd have gone for a PhD and been a prof, and honestly I think I might have been happier. I'm burned out and disillusioned with modern medicine.

Unfortunately now that I'm a doc it's hard to really imagine anything else.
Yes, patients often suck. Most are stupid and apathetic, fat and smelly, especially in an inner-city ED. The are usually not appreciative when you go the extra mile, but will bitch you out no matter how hard you work.

The problem with changing careers after medicine is that it's all downhill in some ways. It's hard to find a career with the money, the autonomy, the prestige and technical challenge of medicine. It's like being a heroin junkie - once you've tasted it, everything else in life seems pretty stale.

And every once in awhile, you get to save someone's life. For real. If you weren't there: dead. After your intervention: alive.

How can I go back and be a professor making 1/4 of what I can as an attending, teaching unappreciative undergrads and doing research that will likely have very little effect on anyone?

Going back to the ED. Need my fix.

I think beyond hit it on the head. No matter what career many of us choose, we have a tendency to glamorize it in our minds. I guess that thees thoughts, in theory, get us through the hard times in med,grad, law school. However, when we get there for real, we are very disappointed. Its a problem we all have to deal with and I think that it is good to hear the negative ahead of time occaisionally. There is a perfect career for very few people, the rest of us just have to take the good with the bad. And to an extent the grass will always be greener on the other side. When I was deciding, i asked people from different careers what they thought. No matter what two careers I compared, people always suggested I go for the other one because it was a better choice. There were always a few who touted their profession over all others too, though. In the end, no one can tell you what to do. Just make sure you are alright with all aspects of your career for the long haul. The responsibilty of being a physician, for example, can't be dropped when you are tired and don't want to deal with it anymore, then picked up later. That call in the middle of the night may feel good the first few times, but after a while it may just annoy you. Think about all of it.

By the way Beyond,
I know many professors working $35-40k non-tenure track jobs in the middle of nowhere after just as many years of education as you who would be happy to trade careers.

would NOT do this if I could go back and choose something(almost anything) else

Status
Not open for further replies.