any religion premeds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrci215

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
any religion premeds out there?
i am just starting out as a freshman and i'd like to get some advice if i am in the right track to medicine- a religion major premed.
i got some discouraging one-sided advice from the health professions counseling office at this california university (which i am planning to transfer to in the next year or so)- science, science,science...looks like most of the premeds who got the university's premed committee's support were all science majors...help!

Members don't see this ad.

thats perfectly fine to have religious studies as your major and be a pre-med, do what you like, its not a requirement to be a science major to get into med-school... i think it might score you alot of favor being a religious studies major when come time for your applications and interview because theres pretty good med schools out there that are affliated with religion, i believe Loma Linda is one of them... major what your interested in college! good luck!

Pre-med is all about finishing the pre-requisites, not about a specific major. Often pre-meds with unusual majors are seen as different and interesting, so it's a positive. Do what you want to do, your grades will be better if you're pursuing an interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
Pre-med is all about finishing the pre-requisites, not about a specific major. Often pre-meds with unusual majors are seen as different and interesting, so it's a positive. Do what you want to do, your grades will be better if you're pursuing an interest.

I was a religion major... no word yet on how this will be received by adcoms (I am applying right now), but I feel like majoring in religion was one of the best academic choices I made! :) Religion at my school was not like theology (which school were you talking about, by the way?) but history/sociology of religion. I was able to take classes from all different departments (English lit, Philosophy), since it is interdisciplinary, including classes on history of early medicine (Greek medicine was based in religion) and religion-ethics classes.

As long as you take care of the basic requirements, I think a major in religion can actually help you out, as long as its what you are passionate about.

If you're interested in Religion, go for it. I actually just graduated with a REL studies major (I double majored with a science, though) and got three waitlists, which resulted in one acceptance.

Being a REL major can give you a unique perspective for your personal statement, too. I kept emphasizing in interviews that I would be able to understand my patients.

It doesn't matter what you study, as long as you get the pre-reqs done.

Good luck :)