WICHE made easy - All Western US Students read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onetoothleft

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am making this thread because many people do not take advantage of a program that could save them up to $100,000 in dental school. It is the WICHE program.

WICHE stands for Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education. It is a program that allows students who come from a state that does not have its own state dental program to gain funds for a western state's program.

Applicants from the following states are eligible:
AK AZ HI MT NV NM ND WY

These are the participating Dental Schools and Locations:

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
A.T. Still University
Mesa, AZ 85206

Loma Linda University
School of Dentistry
Loma Linda, CA 92350

University of California, Los Angeles
School of Dentistry
Los Angeles, CA 90025-1762

University of California, San Francisco
School of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA 94143

University of Nevada, Las Vegas
School of Dentistry
Las Vegas , NV 89106-4124

University of the Pacific
School of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA 94115

University of Southern California
School of Dentistry
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0641

University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
School of Dentistry
Denver, CO 80262

Oregon Health & Science University
School of Dentistry
Portland, OR 97201-3098

University of Washington
School of Dentistry
Seattle, WA 98195

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the steps to applying to WICHE:

Student Checklist
Complete the certification process before October 15 of the year preceding admission. State deadlines and requirements vary; please check with your certifying officer. (this is basically to confirm residency)

Apply to the participating schools of your choice. Inform your certifying officer of all the schools to which you are seeking admission.

IMMEDIATELY inform your certifying officer as you receive offers and when you accept an offer of admission at a participating school.

Formally decline offers of admission at schools you will not be attending.

Check directly with your enrolling institution regarding the specific tuition charges that will be required from you.

Enroll and remain enrolled as a full-time student, and maintain your home state residency.

Keep your state certifying officer posted as to your current address.

State certifying officers inform all students of annual renewal requirements for state certification

Members don't see this ad :)
I copied this from their website, but I suggest you click here since it has all the right links.

PSEP — CERTIFYING OFFICES
Addresses and phone numbers of certifying offices and fields of study supported by each state.

Please note: Although the States of California and South Dakota are in the WICHE region, they do not participate as "sending states" in the Professional Student Exchange Program at this time.

ALASKA
D-OT-OPT-PA-PHRM-POD-PT
(Note: As of the 2000-01 academic year, the Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education was authorized by law to administer PSEP participation as a loan program funded by the Alaska Student Corporation. Terms and conditions for the PSEP loan are set by regulation.)

Certifying Officer for Alaska
WICHE Student Exchange Program
Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
3030 Vintage Blvd.
Juneau, AK 99801-7100
Phone: (907) 465-6741
Fax: (907) 465-5316

ARIZONA
D-OT-OPT-OSTEO-PA-VM

Certifying Officer for Arizona
Arizona Board of Regents
2020 North Central, Suite 230
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Phone: (602) 229-2563
Fax: (602) 229-2555

COLORADO
OPT

Certifying Officer for Colorado
Colorado Commission on Higher Education
1380 Lawrence Street, Suite 1200
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: (303) 866-2723
Fax: (303) 866-4266

HAWAII
D-OT-OPT-PHRM-PT-VM

Certifying Officer for Hawaii
Student Services Center
2600 Campus Road, Room 413
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-6625
Fax: (808) 956-5156

IDAHO
OPT

Certifying Officer for Idaho
Idaho Board of Education
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0037
Phone: (208) 332-1574
Fax: (208) 334-2632

MONTANA
D-M-OT-OPT-OSTEO-POD-PH-VM

Certifying Officer for Montana
Montana University System
P.O. Box 203101, 2500 Broadway
Helena, MT 59620
Phone: (406) 444-6570
Fax: (406) 444-1469

NEVADA
D-OT-OPT-PHRM-PT-PA-VM

Certifying Officer for Nevada
Mail Stop 304
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557
Phone: (775) 784-4900
Fax: (775) 327-5193

NEW MEXICO
D-GLS-OT-OPT-OSTEO-PT-PA-POD-PH-VM

Certifying Officer for New Mexico
Commission on Higher Education
P.O. Box 15910
Santa Fe, NM 89506-5910
Phone: (505) 827-7383 or 1-800-279-9777
Fax: (505) 827-7392

NORTH DAKOTA
D-OPT-VM

Certifying Officer for North Dakota
North Dakota University System
State Capitol, 10th Floor
600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 215
Bismarck, ND 58505-0154
Phone: (701) 328-4114
Fax: (701) 328-2961

OREGON
Due to Oregon's current state budget shortfall, they will not be supporting any new students through WICHE's Professional Student Exchange Program until further notice.

Certifying Officer for Oregon
Oregon University System
P.O. Box 3175
Eugene, OR 97403-0175
Phone: (541) 346-5720
Fax: (541) 346-5764

SOUTH DAKOTA
THIS STATE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE PROFESSIONAL STUDENT EXCHANGE

Certifying Officer for South Dakota
South Dakota Board of Regents
207 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3159
Phone: (605) 773-3455
Fax: (605) 773-5320

UTAH
OPT-POD-VM

Certifying Officer for Utah
Utah System of Higher Education
#3 Triad Center, Suite 550
Salt Lake City, UT 84180-1205
Phone: (801) 321-7153
Fax: (801) 321-7199

WASHINGTON
OPT-OSTEO

Certifying Officer for Washington
Higher Education Coordinating Board
917 Lakeridge Way
P.O. Box 43430
Olympia, WA 98504-3430
Phone: (360) 753-7861
Fax: (360) 704-6261

WYOMING
ARCH-D-GLS-M-OT-OPT-OSTEO-PT-PA-POD-VM

Certifying Officer for Wyoming
Box 3432, University Station
Laramie, WY 82071-3432
Phone: (307) 766-6556
Fax: (307) 766-6608

Note that your home state is using state funds to pay for you to go to these schools and there is a limited number that they can fund from each state. It will only pay for 4 years and you must be a resident of that state for at least the preceding 1 year (for most states). Last year it filled up quickly in my state, so hurry! even if you are on a wait list, don't fret! People like me went to another school anyway so open spots may come available!

One should also note that these funds can be ridiculously difficulty to obtain--at least lately. In Arizona alone there were well over 100 applicants and only 12 or so obtained funding. Supposedly they rank people based on stats, but from the people I know that were awarded those stats vary greatly. I'm not entirely sure what they are looking for.

onetoothleft said:
I am making this thread because many people do not take advantage of a program that could save them up to $100,000 in dental school. It is the WICHE program.

WICHE stands for Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education. It is a program that allows students who come from a state that does not have its own state dental program to gain funds for a western state's program.

Applicants from the following states are eligible:
AK AZ HI MT NV NM ND WY

These are the participating Dental Schools and Locations:

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
A.T. Still University
Mesa, AZ 85206

Loma Linda University
School of Dentistry
Loma Linda, CA 92350

University of California, Los Angeles
School of Dentistry
Los Angeles, CA 90025-1762

University of California, San Francisco
School of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA 94143

University of Nevada, Las Vegas
School of Dentistry
Las Vegas , NV 89106-4124

University of the Pacific
School of Dentistry
San Francisco, CA 94115

University of Southern California
School of Dentistry
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0641

University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
School of Dentistry
Denver, CO 80262

Oregon Health & Science University
School of Dentistry
Portland, OR 97201-3098

University of Washington
School of Dentistry
Seattle, WA 98195

Does anyone else find it interesting that students from NV are eligible even though they have a dental school in NV! Am I just missing something, because I thought this was a program for those students whose home state does not have a dental program?

Maybe because its not fully accredited? Maybe after UNLV's first class graduates and it gets full accreditation NV'ers will be stricken from the list.

WICHE is alive and well in NV but you can only use it to go to UNLV. you then have to serve an undereserved community or accept Medicaid. In NV of course.

I am afraid that WICHE is anything but easy. One of the things to keep in mind is that each state administers it differently. I am from New Mexico, and our state government is incompetient. The state agency that administers WICHE is run by governmentally appointed hacks, who would not know what dentistry was if their lives depended on it. My experience with them has been a nightmare. They would not return my calls, they changed addresses without notifing the applicants, causing applications to get lost and arrive after the deadline. They notified us about our status TWO MONTHS after they were supposed to. I had to call my state Senator in order to get any response from this agency. AADSAS operates perfectly when it is compared to WICHE in New Mexico. I don't know if it is better in other states...but be aware that you may be in for a great deal of frusteration.

Oh, and I do have the WICHE funding. It was a condition for my acceptance at UMKC (Which you must of accidentally left off, one tooth left ;) ). I just want everyone to know that in my experience, it did not operate well at all.

WICHIE is great if you get it. As others have stated it is very difficult to obtain funding. They refuse to tell you what formula they use to rank you and will they will not tell you where you rank. You fill out the paper work and wait...and wait...and wait...eventually you get a letter telling you if you got it or not. In AZ hundreds applied, 24 were accepted to certified schools, and 12 got scholarships.
Louise in phoenix is a rude and defensive woman who attempts to stone wall you when you ask for info. The woman in Colorado where the ranking occurs is very nice but she wont give any info out either.
In my opinion the whole thing is a scam b/c I know of people with lower stats than me and less experience who received funding.