VCU - mcv hospitals or fairfax inova?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the secondary ask you to pick between the two sites for your third and fourth year. whats the difference between the two? where would you go?

Members don't see this ad.

mc22 said:
the secondary ask you to pick between the two sites for your third and fourth year. whats the difference between the two? where would you go?

I graduated from MCV (VCU) this year. MCV hospitals is the established campus in Richmond, where the school has operated since 1838. Fairfax inova is a hospital system in northern Virginia where VCU has had rotations available for years. Other schools have ties there, and one will cross paths with GW and Georgetown students while there. This year they have started offering students the option to do essentially all of their education at the Fairfax inova campus. It's great if you are from northern Virginia and would like to stay local, perhaps live with family.

If you don't know the difference then you should probably stick with the tried and true, standard, good 'ol MCV experience and head to Richmond.

Yeah I am from northern VA where INOVA is also. I was thinking about it, but then it hits me, my mom and dad are here :laugh: Worst, my dad is a technician at INOVA, so no way :laugh:

I can see it now, he would be "oh that is my son, isn't he great?" then I would have to spend the rest of my rotation hidding from everyone else.

As for your question, INOVA is a fairly big and busy hospital just like MCVH, except for that INOVA is located in a way nicer area than MCVH.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there one that is considered more prestigious?

beponychick said:
is there one that is considered more prestigious?

I seriously doubt it. My only concern about doing inova would be because it is a brand new program, and even though it's built on an existing infrastructure, it's tough to be a guinea pig in a new educational adventure.

To answer your question another way, in general folks don't ooh and aah over one while wretching over the other. They both have their ups and downs, and either choice should yield a MORE than satisfactory clinical exposure.

I will say that, on a good night, the MCV ER is one of the most insane places you will ever lay eyes on. Between the supremely indigent population and Richmond's persistent competition for murder capital of the country, it gets pretty cool.

Oh, and one more thing. MCV is an urban campus (and parking sucks), but it's not awful. The state capitol is across the street, Shockoe bottom is down the hill, and if you live on the east end of The Fan you can shuttle to school for free.

Not that you should be going to school for the first two years. Much better to plant yourself in the U of R law library. Talk about posh surroundings....