Anyone applying to SIU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosaic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you gotten any info on their secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad.

My AAMCAS was just verified yesterday, so I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I'm also hoping to hear something soon. I'm an IL resident, but I'm from Northern IL, so that may hurt me a bit when it comes to their screening.

Or, if you talk about wanting to help the underserved in the urban environment, then you're also welcome there.

Members don't see this ad :)
so no news yet on the SIU secondary?

mosaic said:
so no news yet on the SIU secondary?

I haven't received the secondary yet, but I did get a letter dated Aug 1 in the mail today saying that they would be making a decision on my app as soon as possible. Anyone else?

godawgs39 said:
I haven't received the secondary yet, but I did get a letter dated Aug 1 in the mail today saying that they would be making a decision on my app as soon as possible. Anyone else?

well, that's some news...

do they send secondaries out to everyone? from the sound of your letter, they probably screen and the fact that you got one could very well be positive.

mosaic said:
well, that's some news...

do they send secondaries out to everyone? from the sound of your letter, they probably screen and the fact that you got one could very well be positive.

They do screen, my stats aren't anything spectacular, if you want to see if we are similar PM me.

I got the same letter today, also dated Aug 1.

little bump to see if there's any news...

still no word? why is it taking so long...

Got SIU's secondary (snail mail) about a week ago (AMCAS verified late June). I know someone else who was verified in mid-June and got it at the end of July. So they're trickling in--don't panic yet! :)

phew! thanks :)

i wasn't verified until late July, so i'll try to be patient.

You're welcome! Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck to you too!

Do you take the letter that came with the 2ndary to mean that once they recieve all our stuff that we WILL DEFINATELY get an interview? I only got a 9 on verbal but I think that is what it says. Any thoughts?

Megboo said:

Is everyone here from the southern illinois backwoods? LOL

Megboo said:
Ummmm...just BUMPing the thread up out of interest. If it makes you feel more like a man to call the southern Illinoisans names then so be it.

Whoa easy tiger...just playin around. I know that SIU likes the really rural illinois peeps. BTW I am actually from southern illinois myself (well, springfield, which is south of chicago = southern illinois).

SigPi said:
Do you take the letter that came with the 2ndary to mean that once they recieve all our stuff that we WILL DEFINATELY get an interview? I only got a 9 on verbal but I think that is what it says. Any thoughts?

I just received the secondary today and I'm wondering the same thing. It says that once our files are complete, we'll be interviewed, so I'm assuming that's what it means. I only got an 8 on PS, so who knows.

godawgs39 said:
I just received the secondary today and I'm wondering the same thing. It says that once our files are complete, we'll be interviewed, so I'm assuming that's what it means. I only got an 8 on PS, so who knows.

Just got the invite from SIU today :clap: . Looks like they let you pick the date, but you have to give them four choices. God, I hope I get in here..def number 1 choice :thumbup:

SigPi said:
Just got the invite from SIU today :clap: . Looks like they let you pick the date, but you have to give them four choices. God, I hope I get in here..def number 1 choice :thumbup:

Congratulations!!!! When was your application complete? Also, are you going to interview at Carbondale or Springfield?

congrats sigpi! just got my secondary. i think it is pretty much an automatic interview invite once they get all your stuff. how are you all filling out the secondary? hand-written? i don't have a typewriter. if only the paper was white, then i could print and cut up sections and attach them. good luck to us all :)

interviewing here on the 26th....anyone else?

I just got verified today. (I know, I'm late. I wasn't going to apply this cycle, but decided to give it a whirl!) SIU all the way! :)

Where is everyone from? I'm from Benton.

Hey peeps,

I'm an MSI at SIU here in C'Dale. If anyone interviews down here, I'm gonna try to be a tour guide as much as possible. PM me or post any questions you have about PBL, living in Carbondale, school, curriculum. I'll keep an eye on this thread; and feel free to ask questions of us in the Allopathic: Class Threads: SIU Class of 2009 Thread.

Take into consideration, however, that I have only been at this whole med student thing for five weeks now!!! ;) Ha ha!

G'Luck

PBM
MSI
SIU SOM
ILA (I love acronyms!)

I was thinking of applying here but they dont take out of staters. My main reason to apply here is because my last name is SIU.

AxlxA said:
I was thinking of applying here but they dont take out of staters. My main reason to apply here is because my last name is SIU.

:laugh:

I hope to be an MS I in 2008. I'm originally from Chester. I live in Northern Illinois now, but can't wait to get back to Southern Illinois.

I'm interviewing at SIU (Springfield) on Monday 9/19. Anyone else?

hatshepsut said:
I'm interviewing at SIU (Springfield) on Monday 9/19. Anyone else?

When were you complete and how did they notify you? My application should have been complete as of this past Wednesday, but I have no idea how long it takes for them to get back to us.

godawgs39 said:
When were you complete and how did they notify you? My application should have been complete as of this past Wednesday, but I have no idea how long it takes for them to get back to us.

I was complete on 8/8. I got the interview invite very shortly after. I had to schedule three weeks in advance so I believe I got the invite around the middle of August.

Interviews went pretty well. Think I've got a strong chance. :luck: Can anyone explain SIU's screwy admissions policy though? Its my understanding that they don't accept anyone outright; that everyone who is "acceptable" is placed on this quirky Accept When Place Available (AWPA) list...then, and only then they start admitting people in small groups starting in NOVEMBER?!?! Can this be right? Even if it is, oh well, what can a white guy do :laugh: Ahhhhh siu :love:

I emailed admissions for clarification and was told I'm on the agenda for October, but the earliest I'll hear is late November if accepted. Otherwise, may have to wait until March.

anyone have anything new for SIU? interviews, etc?? Where are my fellow SIUers??

i heard that the person who puts all the apps and recs into their system isn't in the office, so they have a couple weeks backlog. so people won't hear about the next batch of interviews until end of oct - beg of nov! did anyone else hear this? it seems odd to me since i thought they were pretty fast in getting interview invites out after they receive secondaries.

SigPi, when I interviewed she told me that I would hear if I was on the accepted, wait, ext list shortly after the monthly meeting. Then it would not be till Jan. before they started sending out yes accepted from the if space available list.

I received my interview information today...anyone interviewing at Springfield on Nov 10?