Schools that do NOT accept AP credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalenakai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this was answered elsewhere in the SDN forum but I couldn't find it with the new Google-powered SDN search function.

What schools DO NOT accept AP credit for fulfilling pre-med requirements? Also, what schools are willing to negotiate requirements based on a combination of AP, GPA, and/or MCAT subject test scores?

If you know of any others, please add on or bump. Thanks!

NO AP Credit Schools
University of Southern California (negotiable)
UCLA
Boston

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a copy of the MSAR with me, but I'm pretty sure most schools do not accept AP credit for sciences. Who knows, though, you may be able to work something out with individual schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vanderbilt does not accept AP credit. Most tell you to list upper level classes if you have AP credit

Reimat said:
I don't have a copy of the MSAR with me, but I'm pretty sure most schools do not accept AP credit for sciences. Who knows, though, you may be able to work something out with individual schools.

many *do*, actually. however, there's usually some clause that says higher level courses in the same subject area are "recommended" or "preferred".

DarkFark said:
I found this website once. Im not sure how accurate it is, but its corroborated by school websites in a couple cases. Special thanks to the University of Colorado. http://www.colorado.edu/ArtsSciences/aacforstudents/noapib.htm

That's a great resource, thanks!

Also, I've read the MSAR cover-to-cover and many schools do not explicitly say whether or not they accept AP/IB/CLEP credit. Many websites don't spell it out either, but some do mention the clause about taking a upper level class in the same subject area of the AP credit for prereq fulfillment. So far I found that more schools do accept than don't... and for the others still undetermined, I will contact their admissions office today.

DarkFark said:
I found this website once. Im not sure how accurate it is, but its corroborated by school websites in a couple cases. Special thanks to the University of Colorado. http://www.colorado.edu/ArtsSciences/aacforstudents/noapib.htm

Don't put too much stock in that site... I know for a fact that Harvard will accept AP credit for calculus. If you got a 4-5 on the AB exam, that will count for 1/2 year of their year requirement of calculus. (And I believe that a 4-5 on BC will give you full year's credit).

Best thing to do is call the school.

so if i skipped general chem with ap credits and took 2 semesters of biochemistry to make up for it, would that be alright? I won't be screwing myself over by doing this...will i?

Seems confusing, medical schools ought to go by the mcat to screen applicants for the required courses, and encourage students to take as many high level courses as possible.

slickb12 said:
Don't put too much stock in that site... I know for a fact that Harvard will accept AP credit for calculus. If you got a 4-5 on the AB exam, that will count for 1/2 year of their year requirement of calculus. (And I believe that a 4-5 on BC will give you full year's credit).

Best thing to do is call the school.

I agree, slickb12. I too found some corrections from that helpful-but-not-totally-correct (hence the disclaimer at the bottom) after calling all the admissions offices today.

I'll mention those corrections here:
Stanford may waive requirements on a case-by-case basis
UCSD does accept AP credits (max 1 semester per subject, though)
Harvard does accept AP credits (max 1 semester per subject)
UW does accept AP credits

Regardless of accepting AP credits or not, if a certain requirement is not fulfilled at the TIME OF APPLICATION, ALL of the schools to whom I spoke said that it's OK as long as the requirement is fulfilled BEFORE MATRICULATION. Hope that helps.

golfboy said:
so if i skipped general chem with ap credits and took 2 semesters of biochemistry to make up for it, would that be alright? I won't be screwing myself over by doing this...will i?

Seems confusing, medical schools ought to go by the mcat to screen applicants for the required courses, and encourage students to take as many high level courses as possible.

Probably best to check with each of the schools to which you are applying. My guess is that biochemistry would NOT count as a general chem substitute, but I could be wrong. Can you repost your answer here when you find out? Thanks.

kalenakai said:
Probably best to check with each of the schools to which you are applying. My guess is that biochemistry would NOT count as a general chem substitute, but I could be wrong. Can you repost your answer here when you find out? Thanks.

well i'm only a sophomore taking organic chemistry this year...might be a while before i find out. UNMC basically says u can use ap credit for general chem, as long as you take upper division chemistry. I will probably be contacting them sometime this year to find out about admissions requirements.

here's what i found on the unmc website

CLEP and Advanced Placement (AP)
The Admissions Committee does not accept advanced placement credit and CLEP Subject Examination credit toward the College of Medicine's specific group requirements. Students who have AP credit for a required course are encouraged to take an upper level course in the same discipline, rather than taking the course to which they have already received AP credit for.