Mayo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rockhouse said:
I interviewed in January and I haven't been ranked yet. They supposedly checked out my file last week but I have yet to hear. Anyways, don't expect it to be real soon.

So, have you got a ranked email yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Saluki said:
Anyone know when the people who interviewed last week will be ranked?

I always feel kinda pesky contacting the admissions office, but I bit the bullet:

Jane says that the admissions committee meets every Thursday, they try to send out ranking emails the following Monday, and they currently have about a 3-week turnaround time between interviews and rankings. So...

If you interviewed Feb 16-22, your file will probably be reviewed on March 9, and you'll get a ranking email around March 13th.

If you interviewed Feb 23 - March 1, your file will probably be reviewed on March 16, and you'll get a ranking email around March 20th.

If you interviewed March 2 or later, they might either review your file on March 16th or the 23rd, then email you the following Monday.

The plan is that everyone will have been reviewed, ranked, and notified of their admission/rejection/waitlist status by March 30th. They were aiming for March 15th (and Jane didn't actually rule out that possibility), but she made it very clear that they will not fill the class until every candidate has been interviewed and fully considered.

however your estimates above (or Janes), might be a week off because I interviewed on February 16th and have not heard anything yet, so I bet I will hear this coming monday...

Members don't see this ad :)
Saluki said:
So, have you got a ranked email yet?
Nope. I am getting kind of tired of it, anyone have the number to get ahold of Jane? Or just find it on the website?

Hi -- I interviewed January 13th, and was ranked in the end of February (the 20th I believe). I doubt I was accepted, as I have not gotten a phone call, but I have not received the "your app is on hold" e-mail that we were so promised :)

Anyone from January here anything (either a call or put on hold) yet?
thanks

Finally got the ranked message, but no "Come to Mayo" phone call. Bummer deal, hopefully they are waiting until the 15th to wrap it all up.

eachpeach said:
Hi -- I interviewed January 13th, and was ranked in the end of February (the 20th I believe). I doubt I was accepted, as I have not gotten a phone call, but I have not received the "your app is on hold" e-mail that we were so promised :)

Anyone from January here anything (either a call or put on hold) yet?
thanks

eachpeach,

We must have interviewed together as I also interviewed on Jan 13th, and so far I have had the same response as you. I believe however one of the other individuals who interviewed with us was accepted, so that may be bad news. I would love to go to Mayo, but happy to have somewhere to go next year for sure! Good Luck.

holsinal said:
eachpeach,

We must have interviewed together as I also interviewed on Jan 13th, and so far I have had the same response as you. I believe however one of the other individuals who interviewed with us was accepted, so that may be bad news. I would love to go to Mayo, but happy to have somewhere to go next year for sure! Good Luck.

I don't know whether this is the same guy that you were referring to, but a graduate of Luther College posted an acceptance on MDapplicants today along with a full tuition scholarship. I hope there's still more room for me :scared:

Today is Thursday! Maybe today is the day that Mayo will review all of our applications and decide their school isn't complete without us.

Best wishes to saluki, owenmichael, yulia, rockhouse, eachpeach, holsinal, paperboy, and anyone else who is still waiting!

Thanks everyone for your posts about what is going on at Mayo in the past. I hadn't heard anything and wanted to know so I called. Thought everyone may be interested in the info.

Cindy said the committee made 5 appointments on Wednesday (3/8). I asked if those appointments made the class about 3/4 full and she agreed. The committee meets every Thursday and will do so until everyone has been considered. However, she thought more appointments may not be made until they have finished ranking everyone. She estimated that would be around the 20th but said it may be sooner or later. At that time we will be notified of our status (accept, reject, waitlist)

I interviewed the last part of January, was ranked the first week of March, and no word since. Given I was ranked, when these last appointments were made suggests I wasn't high enough. Mentioning that, Cindy said there is still hope as everyone is reviewed again when the final appointments are made. I hope, but don't know how lucky I will be. Mayo would be absolutely incredible! :oops:

Not to be the grim voice of doom, but when I interviewed they said they had given out 23 spots. If you add five to that, you get 28. 28/34~5/6 not 3/4. Only 6 spots left- that's not even enough for the people waiting on this thread not to mention all the other non SDNers which Mayo seems to love accepting. :scared:

Saluki said:
Not to be the grim voice of doom, but when I interviewed they said they had given out 23 spots. If you add five to that, you get 28. 28/34~5/6 not 3/4. Only 6 spots left- that's not even enough for the people waiting on this thread not to mention all the other non SDNers which Mayo seems to love accepting. :scared:

dude. it's saturday morning. go get yourself a beer and quit sitting there doing math on how many students are, and will be, accepted to mayo medical school.

Paperboy! said:
dude. it's saturday morning. go get yourself a beer and quit sitting there doing math on how many students are, and will be, accepted to mayo medical school.

I'm not the only one on SDN on Saturday morning looking at the Mayo thread as your post demonstrates...

Members don't see this ad :)
Saluki said:
I'm not the only one on SDN on Saturday morning looking at the Mayo thread as your post demonstrates...

b!tch!!! the computer was left on...from...last...night? I HATE YOU

Paperboy! said:
Comments like this are NOT appropriate on this forum. Consider yourself warned.

Paperboy! said:

I was just joking around...

good god i was obviously being sarcastic. what is with you people? i was just kidding, jeez.

EvoDevo said:
Comments like this are NOT appropriate on this forum. Consider yourself warned.

yeah you should consider removing the stick from your ass. uh oh, did i just get warned too?

i saw that other post as obvious sarcasm...

SpeedRacer said:
yeah you should consider removing the stick from your ass. uh oh, did i just get warned too?

i saw that other post as obvious sarcasm...

I thought it was too until I saw the mod warning... Then, I started feeling guilty that I'd actually offended paperboy with my sarcasm...

Saluki said:
I thought it was too until I saw the mod warning... Then, I started feeling guilty that I'd actually offended paperboy with my sarcasm...

no, i love you saluki. :love:

so mayo folk, what's the werd?

Ah, peace is restored. :) For a second there, it looked like things had turned a bit Lord of the Flies over the weekend here on the Mayo board!

Anyway, it seems like there is no news at all so far today.
Is there anyone who hasn't interviewed yet, or is everyone in the post-interview waiting phase now?

For those who are just waiting to hear back, (biting our fingernails and pacing our floors and over-utilizing the :scared: emoticon) here's a nonscientific questionnaire I cooked up for the sheer purpose of distracting myself from the wait. If you want to respond to any/all, feel free.

1. From memory, what were the names of the Mayo brothers? (no cheating)

2. Is the Giant Canada Goose population in Rochester a pro or con in your opinion?

3. What was the coolest thing you saw when you toured on your interview day?

4. If there is only one spot left in the incoming class, should it go to you or to someone else?

5. Do you have any interesting lost-on-the-subway-level stories?

6. Did the study lounge in the Mitchell Student Center remind you more of Harry Potter or of Dead Poet's Society?

7. Describe your Mayo visit in five words or less.

8. Rank your humility on a scale of 1 to 10 ... heh, just kidding.

here's my answers

Hope2010 said:
1. From memory, what were the names of the Mayo brothers? will and charlie

2. Is the Giant Canada Goose population in Rochester a pro or con in your opinion? pro x10

3. What was the coolest thing you saw when you toured on your interview day? man with a 4 foot privacy leaf over his junk

4. If there is only one spot left in the incoming class, should it go to you or to someone else? ME

5. Do you have any interesting lost-on-the-subway-level stories? couldn't find the train

6. Did the study lounge in the Mitchell Student Center remind you more of Harry Potter or of Dead Poet's Society? no- robin williams wasn't there

7. Describe your Mayo visit in five words or less. orgasmic

sequencer said:
3. What was the coolest thing you saw when you toured on your interview day? man with a 4 foot privacy leaf over his junk

Good thing there was enough bronze in the world to provide him with some privacy. It would be a pity if the statue in the Gonda building was up there feeling embarrassed day in and day out.

It's so unfair that sequencer got to the quiz first, but I would just like to say that I am the MOST HUMBLE. I am more humble than any of you, and Mayo would be incredibly lucky to have me :laugh:

Did I mention I'm a perfect 10 on the humility scale?

oops, double post. sorry.

Saluki said:
Did I mention I'm a perfect 10 on the humility scale?

Oh yeah?! Well, not only am I easily a 10 on the humility scale, I'm also perfect in every other conceivable way. And I've come to terms with my mortality, too! Take that!
;)
...oh, and uh, you can still answer the survey. It didn't expire just because sequencer got to it first.

Paperboy! said:
no, i love you saluki. :love:

so mayo folk, what's the werd?

I love you too :love: However, if you get accepted and I get rejected, Hope2010 may get the Lord of the Flies scenario she's looking for...
Or it may be more like in Dead Poet's Society where the kid has a freakout and repeats his French speech over and over again..

OMIGOD!!! I JUST GOT THE CALL!!! ....from a telemarketer. HAHAHA sorry that was mean

Here are my answers..
Hope2010 said:
Ah, peace is restored. :) For a second there, it looked like things had turned a bit Lord of the Flies over the weekend here on the Mayo board!

Anyway, it seems like there is no news at all so far today.
Is there anyone who hasn't interviewed yet, or is everyone in the post-interview waiting phase now?

For those who are just waiting to hear back, (biting our fingernails and pacing our floors and over-utilizing the :scared: emoticon) here's a nonscientific questionnaire I cooked up for the sheer purpose of distracting myself from the wait. If you want to respond to any/all, feel free.
1. From memory, what were the names of the Mayo brothers? (no cheating)
William and Charles

2. Is the Giant Canada Goose population in Rochester a pro or con in your opinion?
Definitely a pro... If they'll accept me, I'll happily start a goose watching club. Who's with me?
3. What was the coolest thing you saw when you toured on your interview day?
Sick people- I just love sick people... In seriousness, I loved the chapel in St.Mary's Hospital...
4. If there is only one spot left in the incoming class, should it go to you or to someone else?MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Do you have any interesting lost-on-the-subway-level stories?
Didn't have any problems. So, it's obvious I belong there...

6. Did the study lounge in the Mitchell Student Center remind you more of Harry Potter or of Dead Poet's Society?
I guess I'd probably say Harry Potter- it was fabulous!

7. Describe your Mayo visit in five words or less.
Stressful:)

Paperboy! said:
OMIGOD!!! I JUST GOT THE CALL!!! ....from a telemarketer. HAHAHA sorry that was mean

Give me heart attack why don't you...

Where are you guys going if you don't get in?

Saluki said:
Where are you guys going if you don't get in?
OHSU baby... wait, I'm not accepted yet there either. Probably the Lower Oakland School of Cosmetology and Medicine. Dare to dream!

MollyMalone said:
Probably Pritzker at this point. How about you?

Cleveland Clinic or Vanderbilt. I'm leaning towards Cleveland Clinic at the moment, but every time I feel almost completely decided someone starts a thread about the prestige of med school and how it's a big deal in getting residencies or how it's really important to go to a school with AOA and grades if you're not going to a top ten and then I start debating Vandy again :smuggrin:

jeez all you people are going to ranked schools if you don't get in!!! (and HIGHLY ranked ones!!!) you guys need to drop mayo so i don't have to go to university of crap.

I called Jane today because I had not been ranked yet. She said that they have 70 applicants left to do for 5 more slots in the class. They will be done ranking and send out notices by March 31st, which is the new deadline. hope this helps ease some of the anxiety

arkoleo said:
I called Jane today because I had not been ranked yet. She said that they have 70 applicants left to do for 5 more slots in the class. They will be done ranking and send out notices by March 31st, which is the new deadline. hope this helps ease some of the anxiety

so that means they gave out 5 acceptances today? i thought there were originally 10 spots left

Paperboy! said:
so that means they gave out 5 acceptances today? i thought there were originally 10 spots left

no I think they gave out 5 on March 8th so it makes sense if only 5 spots remain... two more weeks of waiting... good luck to everyone! :luck:

yulia said:
no I think they gave out 5 on March 8th so it makes sense if only 5 spots remain...

Technically, only 4 spots remain since one will go to Chuck Norris, of course. :p

In other news, I got my "ranked" email yesterday afternoon! Huzzah!

Hope2010 said:
Technically, only 4 spots remain since one will go to Chuck Norris, of course. :p

In other news, I finally got my "ranked" email yesterday afternoon! Huzzah!

Im glad you got your ranked email. Be sure to post on here the minute you hear anything... Resist the temptation to go tell your family before you inform the really important people in your life- us!!!!

yeah I got my ranked email yesterday afternoon too... I wonder how soon til we will hear more... not til March 31st?

Hope2010 said:
March 31st is the day for all people on hold. That is what Jane told me and I talked to her on wednesday

I interviewed on the 9th of feb and have not been notified that I have been ranked? is this the kiss of death?

ruglazier said:
I interviewed on the 9th of feb and have not been notified that I have been ranked? is this the kiss of death?

No, just call them. Sometimes interviewers aren't present for meetings, then they put off ranking your application. It happened to me. You should get a ranked email as soon as your file has been reviewed, and you will know that before they tell you come on over, wait awhile, or thanks for coming out, but no thanks.

ruglazier said:

Not necessarily, but you may want to contact the admissions office to follow up on the status of your file. Perhaps send a brief email to Jane or Cindy just to be sure everything is in order.

And while you're at it, you can also mention that Hope2010 really really really really really really really wants to go to Mayo. :D ...after all, Saluki's goose watching club will certainly need a co-founder.

OMG! I just called Jane and she said that everyone has been ranked and they will be making calls to offer acceptances later this afternoon and maybe Monday. People on the alternate list will be notified next week. Good luck everyone!!!

Anybody heard yet? As the hours tick by this afternoon I'm starting to lose hope. Post if you get an acceptance!!

MNsocsci said:
OMG! I just called Jane and she said that everyone has been ranked and they will be making calls to offer acceptances later this afternoon and maybe Monday. People on the alternate list will be notified next week. Good luck everyone!!!

Last edited: