Why was only the thread for white premeds moved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BooMed

Optomist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean, I know it was a joke and all, but if people are going to have threads based solely on race, why can't the white kids have one? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

BooMed said:
I mean, I know it was a joke and all, but if people are going to have threads based solely on race, why can't the white kids have one? Just curious.

white kids don't belong in medicine...DUH
-mota

BooMed said:

Stay within the lines; the lines are your friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
BooMed said:

Yeah I don't feel like there is a problem with a thread for whites. Asians can have threads, and they really aren't much of a minority anymore are they? About a third of my high school was Asian. :cool:

Someday we'll probably be the minority. I'm looking forward to getting our own TV channel as well. :)

Whites have nearly a monopoly on the economic and political power in our country. It seems natural for people to indentify with their own ethnic, racial, or cultural groups. When the ethnic or racial group that has the most power over all others, bands together, it is uniquely dangerous.

Lindyhopper said:
Whites have nearly a monopoly on the economic and political power in our country. It seems natural for people to indentify with their own ethnic, racial, or cultural groups. When the ethnic or racial group that has the most power over all others, bands together, it is uniquely dangerous.

Yeah. It's called democracy. Scary thing, that.

Lindyhopper said:

lol I picture the whites of SDN banning together and taking over the world! ;)

Can you even imagine a channel called "White Entertainment Television" or a "White Student Union"? :eek: I mean, it sounds so horrifying, but what's the difference? I see girls all of the time with "Black is Beautiful" t-shirts on at my school, but you can bet there is no way in hell I will ever sport a "White is Beautiful" shirt, unless I'm hoping for an early death.

Every time a thread pops up related to a particular race on SDN, some funny guy has to respond with a white thread. They are never of any value, and as they tend to get ugly pretty quickly, they tend to be removed fairly quickly. It's just the Mods doing their difficult job of managing the balance between valuable racial discourse and blatant racism. :cool:

BooMed said:
Can you even imagine a channel called "White Entertainment Television" or a "White Student Union"? :eek: I mean, it sounds so horrifying, but what's the difference? I see girls all of the time with "Black is Beautiful" t-shirts on at my school, but you can bet there is no way in hell I will ever sport a "White is Beautiful" shirt, unless I'm hoping for an early death.

Yea man I know what you mean.

Every time a thread pops up related to a particular race on SDN, some funny guy has to respond with a white thread. They are never of any value, and as they tend to get ugly pretty quickly, they tend to be removed fairly quickly. It's just the Mods doing their difficult job of managing the balance between valuable racial discourse and blatant racism. :cool:

That makes sense. I respect that. I just think it's a shame that I bet if I started a thread as a "femal premed" it would get left up, but the equivalent male thread would be seen as a joke. I don't think any group has more of a need than any other to discuss the unique challenges and issues they face in medicine. Can't we all just have somewhere to belong? :p

BooMed said:
Can you even imagine a channel called "White Entertainment Television"

Yeah, it's called "Television."

:laugh: You're right. But um, at least we don't call it that? Wait, maybe that makes it worse.

BooMed said:
I just think it's a shame that I bet if I started a thread as a "femal premed" it would get left up, but the equivalent male thread would be seen as a joke. I don't think any group has more of a need than any other to discuss the unique challenges and issues they face in medicine. Can't we all just have somewhere to belong? :p

AMEN!

BooMed said:
I think San DiegoSOD explained why on a practical level the mods close "white" threads.
But I really think that stuff like "White Entertainment Television" would be distasteful. I intutitively am repulsed by it. I believe this repulsion is well founded. There is something about the power of the dominant group to exclude and control that makes these associations wrong.
In the extreme, one can think of our history of legalized slavery. But one really doesn't have to go to those kinds of extremes to appreciate that whites have outsized cultural, legal, & economic resources.

SpeedRacer said:
Yeah, it's called "Television."

Oh, yes, I never see anything but white persons on that darn racist TV. Do you guys all get your lines from the same book? I swear the racist anti-white types have some Bible-like lexicon they read like scripture.

Zuras said:
Oh, yes, I never see anything but white persons on that darn racist TV. Do you guys all get your lines from the same book? I swear the racist anti-white types have some Bible-like lexicon they read like scripture.

Eassssy buddy....there's a difference between "racism" and "representation." Don't worry, I still like "Friends."

I agree that the notion of anything "white" based is extremely horrifying, simply because of our nation's disgusting history. It's just interesting that we've come to a point where white people are no longer included in the discussion of race. I have nothing against people associating in groups, it's only natural. I just think it's a problem when a group won't let anyone else in who is different.

Well the term minority in this country even though it has to do with population (i.e. AA, Hispanics, Asians, American Indians and so on each group being less than half the entire population), also means the oppressed, less privileged, and less opportuned. A contrasting example is in South Africa during Apartheid, the caucasians were in the minority numerically but they had all the political and economic resources in their control - thus making the the true Africans the minority. So dont look at the term minority solely in terms of numbers.

The reason why these groups try to identify themselves is because the American system was created by caucasians and for caucasians - precisely male caucasians. These groups need the identity so that the system will not swallow them up. It is like pouring a glass of water into the ocean - the ocean swallows it up - unless it is a glass of oil that way there is a distinction.

I know this is a lot of lines for just a comment, but the issue is much more complex than we all tend to realise. Non-caucasians are forced to adjust to the system without identity. But with identity we have voice and can make the system work for us too. In essence it is all about making sure the system works for all groups and not just one.

Orth2006 said:
The reason why these groups try to identify themselves is because the American system was created by caucasians and for caucasians - precisely male caucasians.

Yes, we have heard the old, entirely fallacious canard by every Marxist that dared slither across a college campus.

Recommended readings:

They Were White and They Were Slaves.
Redneck Manifesto.

While you are at it:
Logic(Frege)
Myth of Male Power

Status
Not open for further replies.