Best DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennkhoho

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, just out of curiosity... what DO school is the best? I know each person will say their school is the best but which one is the Harvard of DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

jennkhoho said:
So, just out of curiosity... what DO school is the best? I know each person will say their school is the best but which one is the Harvard of DO schools?

University of Hawaii-College of Osteopathic Medicine

(not really)

OSUdoc08 said:

Seriously? How do I find the avg stats of the admitted class?

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:

Please let's not toy with them; you know that the search function is down! :thumbdown: Not cool.

Jennkhoho: Of course every student of every school will say that theirs is the best. Are you asking which has the highest board passing rates? Which has the highest admissions standards? Which has the best nightlife? Help us narrow down the search a little.

www.aacom.org is a good place to start, if you're looking for pared-down admission stats, class size, location, etc.. Hope that helps get you started. Hopefully once the search function is back up, you can search previous threads on this very topic.

Define Best! And are we talking best for you? Best as far as premed grades and MCATs, Best Board scores, Best price, Best weather, Best OMM, Best Profs. I hate to inflate OSUdoc08s ego (at least I am showing you some love)but I would have to put OSU at the top followed by TCOM, then PCOM/KCOM/CCOM. Last 3 tied for 3rd. By the way I go to PCOM.

raptor5 said:
Define Best! And are we talking best for you? Best as far as premed grades and MCATs, Best Board scores, Best price, Best weather, Best OMM, Best Profs. I hate to inflate OSUdoc08s ego (at least I am showing you some love)but I would have to put OSU at the top followed by TCOM, then PCOM/KCOM/CCOM. Last 3 tied for 3rd. By the way I go to PCOM.

what about msucom? they're consistently ranked around 10 or 11 in usnews's primary care rankings. i'd be all over that school if the oos tuition weren't so high. also, i'd place dmu in with pcom/kcom/ccom.

I'm going with PCOM probably becaue that's the only DO school that's in my "area" that I'm applying to.

exlawgrrl said:
what about msucom? they're consistently ranked around 10 or 11 in usnews's primary care rankings. i'd be all over that school if the oos tuition weren't so high. also, i'd place dmu in with pcom/kcom/ccom.

Mine is better than yours.

1st MSU (even though the location sucks)

2nd... 3rd... etc... all the others

docbill said:

Mine is better than yours.

1st MSU (even though the location sucks)

2nd... 3rd... etc... all the others

of course, mine is best. whatever school i wind up at next year must be the best do school ever. :)

actually, i do agree with your rankings. i mean, are dmu/pcom/kcom/ccom really substantively better in terms of quality or residencies than unecom, comp, nsucom, tucom, azcom, etc? probably not. schools like pcsom and wvsom place a strong emphasis on rural primary care, so they're not the best school for lots of applicants because of that, but they're still good schools.

The best schools are the ones that are tax-supported (public schools).

OSUdoc08 said:

everybody just shutup right now it is msucom ok so stop asking this rhetorical question alright.

OSUdoc08 said:

Maybe in TX in OK but in PA the state med schools (Temple and Penn State) are not that much cheaper or any better than PCOM. Otherwise I agree with you. Plus state subsidies also mean some oversight which some of the other DO schools need.

Members don't see this ad :)
raptor5 said:
Maybe in TX in OK but in PA the state med schools (Temple and Penn State) are not that much cheaper or any better than PCOM. Otherwise I agree with you. Plus state subsidies also mean some oversight which some of the other DO schools need.

We are talking about DO schools. I'm not sure how Temple and Penn State are relevant.

I don't think there is a "harvard" of DO schools like there is among allo schools. When you have so few schools most are about the same I think; although there are some that are better and some that are worse for sure.

Look at things that matter to YOU; location, cost, match list, curriculum, clinical clerkships etc on school websites then decide what the best school for you is.

My personal vote is AZCOM b/c I love phoenix (and a few other reasons :))

crys20 said:
I don't think there is a "harvard" of DO schools like there is among allo schools. When you have so few schools most are about the same I think; although there are some that are better and some that are worse for sure.

Look at things that matter to YOU; location, cost, match list, curriculum, clinical clerkships etc on school websites then decide what the best school for you is.

My personal vote is AZCOM b/c I love phoenix (and a few other reasons :))

when are you ignorant people going to realize msucom is the best? tomorrow? come on

OSUdoc08 said:
We are talking about DO schools. I'm not sure how Temple and Penn State are relevant.

Your post said the best schools are the ones that are tax-supported. I thought you meant in general. Therein lies its relevance.

exlawgrrl said:

Maybe in your ranking but not mine. Too expensive for out of staters. It falls to dead last for being so damn greedy. Like I said my ranking. It may be on the top of yours for other reasons. Since not one person can agree which school is the best you will never hear someone say "Oh you went to that Osteopathic school!!!" Frankly I don't care if I go to the worst Osteopathic School as long as I am the best physician I can be. So now I think I will change my rankings. PCOM is the worst Medical School in the World....

jennkhoho said:
:laugh: :laugh:
Asking which DO school is best is like asking what type of diarrhea is best. They're all ****ty, and you wouldn't want to have any of them.

motorhead said:
Asking which DO school is best is like asking what type of diarrhea is best. They're all ****ty, and you wouldn't want to have any of them.

I swear this troll is the same one that has been constantly being banned and reincarnated with a new SN... Dude, find something useful to do with your life!

Anyway, it should'nt be long before this guy is banned again :cool:

Shodddy18 said:
I swear this troll is the same one that has been constantly being banned and reincarnated with a new SN... Dude, find something useful to do with your life!

it's pathetic, isn't it? anyway, that guy probably works at mcdonalds.

jennkhoho said:

hollaaa...msucom, no bias here :laugh:

Wow, I almost never hear anyone talk about MSUCOM on this forum except when it's regarding the secondary or the out-of-state fees. :D

jennkhoho said:
KCOM

no....... Western COMP all the way..... highest MCAT in 2005

:laugh:

Shodddy18 said:

It didnt take long for that guy to be banned again... :laugh: :laugh:

Its kind of like that game in video arcades where you have a soft hammer and have to hit the goffer every time he pokes his head out of the hole. This guy keeps comming back and we keep knocking him back out... :laugh: :laugh:

According to US News and World Report the best DO school is MSU, hands down.

Can you trust their ranking methods? Here's the current perspective:

You SHOULD NOT trust their rankings if they gave a poor ranking to your prospective or current medical school. (I mean, c'mon--Harvard, Mayo, Johns Hopkins?! Great schools?? Who's even heard of these places??)

You SHOULD trust them if they happened to rank your school very high.

Personally, I think their ranking system is reliable. And don't worry about my bias, I'm hoping to go to DMU. Wait---DMU isn't ranked??? Nevermind...US News magazine is clearly directed by Skeletor....

LusuR said:
According to US News and World Report the best DO school is MSU, hands down.

Can you trust their ranking methods? Here's the current perspective:

You SHOULD NOT trust their rankings if they gave a poor ranking to your prospective or current medical school. (I mean, c'mon--Harvard, Mayo, Johns Hopkins?! Great schools?? Who's even heard of these places??)

You SHOULD trust them if they happened to rank your school very high.

Personally, I think their ranking system is reliable. And don't worry about my bias, I'm hoping to go to DMU. Wait---DMU isn't ranked??? Nevermind...US News magazine is clearly directed by Skeletor....

are you guys jealous about msucom, usnews knows everything there is to know about ranking schools. so we really need to stop having this discussion.

This is the official battle of "Who Gives A ****"

If you're choosing your med school based on prestige or to impress people, go to Harvard/Hopkins/Mayo/etc.

If you want to be a good, competant doctor, go to whatever school you feel comfortable at (DO or MD) and work your a$s off.

Taus said:

If you're choosing your med school based on prestige or to impress people, go to Harvard/Hopkins/Mayo/etc.

If you want to be a good, competant doctor, go to whatever school you feel comfortable at (DO or MD) and work your a$s off.
Can't argue here, comfort level is the most important factor. Go where you think will fit you best. If you're not comfortable at the school how well will you perform. Whether that includes financial situation or location due to family/friends your stress level will be high, so go choose a school that won't raise your stress even higher. :thumbup:
Best of luck!

Taus said:

seriously... its the battle of who could care less... Gotta love Ben Folds Five ;)

Shodddy18 said:
seriously... its the battle of who could care less... Gotta love Ben Folds Five ;)
Amen to that!!! :D
Ben Folds rocks! Have you heard his newer stuff? Not the same, but still genius! :thumbup:

Shodddy18 said:

I totally agree with you guys because I didn't pick MSU based on what everyone else thinks. I was just curious and I would have searched it had I been able. :D

motorhead said:

Honestly, this is actually a pretty funny joke. The template can be used for many topics. But, this may just be a bad place to post it, heh. =P

mx_599 said:

If you are completely oblivious to the surroundings, then KCOM is an excellent school.

I've been to Kirksville once, and I'd never go there again.

Don't you sometimes wish you could pick up the school and move it to a major city?

jennkhoho said:

There really is not Harvard of DO schools. As we can see from this thread rankings are all based on personal perceptions. From that point of view you could say that Harvard is what it is because the great majority if not all students accepted at Harvard are ecstatic to be accepted to their first choice school. No DO school in the nation (except maybe the state schools) can say that all of their students are attending because the school was their first choice.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you are completely oblivious to the surroundings, then KCOM is an excellent school.

I've been to Kirksville once, and I'd never go there again.

Don't you sometimes wish you could pick up the school and move it to a major city?
maybe...but part of the reason i came here was to get away from the city for 2 years :D

PCOM. Yes, I'm biased. ;)

mx_599 said:
maybe...but part of the reason i came here was to get away from the city for 2 years :D

I'd never want to get away from the city, but then again I'm a single 23 year old who enjoys his night life.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'd never want to get away from the city, but then again I'm a single 23 year old who enjoys his night life.

does tulsa have a night life? is that when they milk the cows?

j/k :laugh:

subtle1epiphany said:
Amen to that!!! :D
Ben Folds rocks! Have you heard his newer stuff? Not the same, but still genius! :thumbup:

Yeah, we've all got our Philosophies. :thumbup:

Goose-d said:
does tulsa have a night life? is that when they milk the cows?

j/k :laugh:

I've never seen a cow in Tulsa. They don't allow them in the city.

in tulsa, we're proud of our cows....

J/K

seriously though, you should pick your school based upon fit for you as a student and not based upon pure numbers, the fit might be wrong.... Some schools have insane amounts of OMT labs every week, I love OMM but would not want more than four total hours per week, there is so much to be concerned with outside of basic OMM that I would be leary of a place that pushed it so much. BUT then again, what do I know, I go to a fantastic school that has 3hrs/week OMM total.... I love my school and think it is great, I hope that you who are looking find a great one in the choice you make.

Best Wishes

DrDad

This is part of the beauty of the DO world. I've determined there is no best school. Every school has a pinch of something different that makes it right for different people. As cheesy as it sounds the best is the one that fits for you. It's not a pi$$ing contest here and few are in a rat race.