Comparing the SUNY's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently got an acceptance from Stony Brook, and while I haven't yet heard from SUNY Downstate, I feel that my interview there went really well. I also have an interview at SUNY Upstate next month. Now, location is VERY important to me. Upstate was the only school I applied to that is not in/or within a short drive away from a big city. I scheduled my interview so late (I was invited much earlier) because I wanted to see if I get into the other two SUNY's (since I definitely preferred them to Upstate because of location), and cancel my interview if I do get in. Basically, I applied to Upstate as a financial backup, in case I don't get into the other two SUNYs. That being said, I really disliked the other two schools. I don't see myself being happy at either one of them. BUT, I also don't see myself being happy in Syracuse (I'm a big city girl and I want to stay close to family). So basically, I don't know what to do. Should I cancel my Upstate interview, now that I was accepted to Stony Brook? I don't know much about Upstate (since I hoped I wouldn't need to consider it), but now that I didn't like the two other schools (and I was very excited about Stony Brook before my interview there), should I go and see if I like Upstate? Because there is also the issue of spending additional money to fly there, and stay there, and it's really inconvenient, because I have an afternoon interview in NYC the day before. Can anyone tell me what they think about Upstate as compared to Stony Brook and Downstate (aside from the location). If I didn't like the other two schools, will I like this one? Or is it similar? Would you choose Upstate over Stony Brook or Downstate (not considering location)? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything much about the other SUNYs, but I think it would be hard to dislike Upstate. From what I have seen, everybody at the school is pretty happy. The administration seems to care about the students and to really do its best to accomodate them. The admissions director, Jennifer Welch, pretty much goes out of her way to make sure that the interview day is as relaxed as possible. If you can spare the money, I would at least interview there and see how you like the school.

I also cannot compare Upstate to other SUNYs, but I can also can say that it is a very friendly, relaxed atmosphere. When I interviewed there, I got the feeling that the faculty really really care about students.

I think that you should definitely check it out. What's a few hundred dollars to figure out where you will be happy for the next 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to both Stony Brook and Upstate and as you have said, I am particularly interested in the location. I liked Stony Brook, but as other have noted, Upstate is extremely warm. Every single individual there was kind. Although I have heard Stony Brook is a better school, I have chosen to decline my acceptance there and will be going to Upstate. (I live near Rochester) Upstate is definately worth the interview, even if it is not in the city, it has many great advantages. I would go to the interview if I were you.

ndayev6 said:
I have been accepted to both Stony Brook and Upstate and as you have said, I am particularly interested in the location. I liked Stony Brook, but as other have noted, Upstate is extremely warm. Every single individual there was kind. Although I have heard Stony Brook is a better school, I have chosen to decline my acceptance there and will be going to Upstate. (I live near Rochester) Upstate is definately worth the interview, even if it is not in the city, it has many great advantages. I would go to the interview if I were you.

g

themach said:
I think that you should definitely check it out. What's a few hundred dollars to figure out where you will be happy for the next 4 years?

I think this about sums it up. You'll hear lots of people say that everyone at Upstate is really nice and that it has a good atmosphere. See for yourself and then decide. I think it's worth the money if you don't feel you'll be happy at the schools you have been accepted to. Med school is hard. You want to be happy where you are.

yea you should definitely go. I've been at stony, downstate, and upstate, and upstate has the best atmosphere of the three i think. Downstate is better for clinical experiences i hear and stony is a better school overall academically. But, I felt much happier when I was at upstate. I would probably choose stony brook over upstate tho, becuase its closer to home for me (if i get into any of them that is.)

Upstate def. has the nicest people but after completeing interviews at all the SUNY schools I would choose Stonybrook in a heartbeat. You said it yourself that location is a BIG factor. Traveling about 4 hours to get back to the city can be very annoying if you get home sick, though I guess you could fly but that costs more money. I'm also a city guy and went to school in upstate NY and I hated the environment since it snowed and rained alot. Even though you may not have liked the school, you may not like the environment even more. In the end though it is your choice and you'll never know if you'll enjoy Upstate w/o going to the interview. It's very nice there, especially the anatomy labs. Syracuse is one of the bigger cities in Upstate NY so it has that "medium city" environment. In the end though you can't compare w/o going to check it out.

PS: When did you interview at Downstate? I've been waiting on a decision for a month. Congrats on Stony!

i heard that suny upstate is geared more toward general practice and the like, whereas suny downstate and stony brooke are better for getting into competitive residencies.

suny downstate is in brooklyn right? if it is, you'd have a lot of clinical experience over there.

Stoneybrook is in the middle of nowhere. My gf goes there for med school. You will have rotations during your first year, sometimes you will be forced to go off campus for some time. Unless you have a car, you better be good at making friends. Also, the Islip Airport is a 50 dollar shuttle ride without a car. Plus no immediate supermarkets, movie theaters, etc.

Stonybrook Med campus is also next to the undergrad campus. Which means you will see alot of drunken ******s on the weekends and see alot of shady minorities just hanging around. However, there is a low rate of crime, according to their statistics (hasn't been a rape there in years) but of course, that's only what people report and I assume the school downplays alot (most do).

Also, Princeton Review has these top ten lists. One of them is "top ten schools with most unhappy students." Stonybrook is 3rd on that list. The dorms suck, no AC, beaten up worthless shacks that are falling apart.

eternalrage said:
Stoneybrook is in the middle of nowhere. My gf goes there for med school. You will have rotations during your first year, sometimes you will be forced to go off campus for some time. Unless you have a car, you better be good at making friends. Also, the Islip Airport is a 50 dollar shuttle ride without a car. Plus no immediate supermarkets, movie theaters, etc.

Stonybrook Med campus is also next to the undergrad campus. Which means you will see alot of drunken ******s on the weekends and see alot of shady minorities just hanging around. However, there is a low rate of crime, according to their statistics (hasn't been a rape there in years) but of course, that's only what people report and I assume the school downplays alot (most do).

Also, Princeton Review has these top ten lists. One of them is "top ten schools with most unhappy students." Stonybrook is 3rd on that list. The dorms suck, no AC, beaten up worthless shacks that are falling apart.

Hi- how do you get these princeton review lists?

i went to stony brook UG, and it was kind of crappy. But the med school is so different from the undergrad, its much much much nicer. And no drunken ******s on weekends, most people choose to go home on weekends so the campus is basically empty.

Hermit MMood said:
i heard that suny upstate is geared more toward general practice and the like, whereas suny downstate and stony brooke are better for getting into competitive residencies.

suny downstate is in brooklyn right? if it is, you'd have a lot of clinical experience over there.

I don't know the exact statistics, but if you look at upstate's match list they seem to have quite a few students match into specialties, including competitive ones. For example, the 2005 match list indicates that 8 graduates matched into orthopedic surgery, one of the most competitive specialties. Thats pretty impressive for a class of only about 160 students.

eternalrage said:
Stonybrook Med campus is also next to the undergrad campus. Which means you will see alot of drunken ******s on the weekends and see alot [sic] of shady minorities just hanging around. However, there is a low rate of crime, according to their statistics (hasn't been a rape there in years) but of course, that's only what people report and I assume the school downplays alot (most do).

Bully for you!

Okay, from what I got so far:

Pluses of Stony Brook: better reputation, closer to home/city
Minuses: Didn't get a good feel there

Pluses of Upstate: good atmosphere/nice people
Minuses: Too far from home/big city, not as good of a reputation

Ugh...I still don't know if I should go to an interview! From my little analysis above, it looks like Upstate has more minuses than pluses for me as compared to Stony Brook.

Let's see, interview analysis:

Reasons to go: To have no regrets, see if I "fall in love" with the school (not likely due to the minuses, but just in case)
Reasons NOT to go: Money, time, energy, (long drive from the city, plus afternoon interview in the city the day before), I already have a SUNY school that I can go to if money becomes an issue, I already have a private school (Jefferson) that I really liked that I can go to if money will not be an issue.

Okay, looks like I'm leaning toward NOT going...and yet this whole "no regrets" reason is HUGE, so I still don't know what to do...

Any more advice to help me decide on this?

how does med. school prestige relate to residencies. secondly, on the match lists on sdn, it says that a residency is not the same thing as a fellowship (i.e. to become a cardiologist you're not doing residency but in fact a fellowship). What's the difference between the two (i.e. is the fellowship meant for specialties that are extremely hard to get into/to do?)

Hermit MMood said:

In addition to the 8 matches in ortho, there were 4 that matched to plastics (1 at Yale, 1 at Penn) which is also a very competitive specialty.

getting into a competitive residency depends more on your own performance in medical school rather than where you go to school. If possible, pick your school based on the one that fits you "best"