Old Geezers???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbone

Herro!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, I am 29 years old and will be turning 30 in May 2006. How do I compare to the rest of ya'll? I don't want to be the grandpa of my class. I'll settle for older brother (that bullies his younger siblings all the time :D ). Chime in and let us know how old you REALLY are so I don't feel so old and alone. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

jbone said:
Just curious, I am 29 years old and will be turning 30 in May 2006. How do I compare to the rest of ya'll? I don't want to be the grandpa of my class. I'll settle for older brother (that bullies his younger siblings all the time :D ). Chime in and let us know how old you REALLY are so I don't feel so old and alone. :thumbup:

:laugh: :laugh:

Ahh young grasshopper, you are not old. I will be 42ish when i apply, so I stand a decent chance at being the elder statesman in my class. But, I am ok with that. In a perfecxt world I would have gone to med school 15-20 years ago, but I didn't. The timing needs to right for these things, and for me, the timing is right now. I would have missed a lot of important things in my life. I would have not adopted my kids, met my wife, etc. I have developed an instinct for assesing patients through my 13+ yeras as a paramedic. So, don't fret. You will do fine. Good luck in your endeavors.

Rob :thumbup:

jbone said:
There are several of us in our 30s and even 40s here. I'll be 31 when I start in the fall. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a geezer, I'm a lieutenant geezer. I'll be 28 when I start med school, 29 four months later. On at least three of my interviews, I discovered that the current first-year class had at least one person over 40.

jbone said:
Just curious, I am 29 years old and will be turning 30 in May 2006. How do I compare to the rest of ya'll? I don't want to be the grandpa of my class.
I'm 39 and plan to finish an MD/PhD program before I'm 50! :laugh:

When I'm in class with people who are in their early 20's, I don't look at myself as an "old geezer". I look too good for that! ;) Personally, I NEVER want to be that young (or stupid) ever again!!!

QofQuimica said:
There are several of us in our 30s and even 40s here. I'll be 31 when I start in the fall. :)

Hey Q,

where are you going in the fall?

Rob

jbone said:
I applied at age 43 but am going to interviews at age 44. I guess I could say, "I wish I'd done this years ago" but, for *me*, it's not true. I've had a great career in healthcare administration - no regrets. But, as I've gotten older, I've realized I have a lot more to contribute. I'll turn 45 just after school starts next year and I'll still be 51 when I finish a 3-year residency. Then I'll happily practice medicine for 15 years - maybe even 20 - and then I'll ride off into the sunset of retirement knowing I made full use of my talents.

Actually, working like a dog for two years on pre-med prerequisites seemed to me to be a pretty constructive way to handle a small mid-life crisis! :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
I'm not sure yet. :oops: I won't make any decision until I get my financial aid packages.

I see you're another Michiganer; do you want to go to U Mich?

I would love to go to MEEECCHIGAANN!!! I wll apply there and we will see what happens. Not sure how friendly to older students Michigan is. I f I can come even close to your MCAT, then I think I stand a good chance of being accepted. Now back to reality... I will also apply to Wayne State, MSU, Medical college of Ohio, and a bunch of D.O. schools. Where have you been accepted at? Good luck with your decision.

Rob ;)

Non-TradTulsa said:
I applied at age 43 but am going to interviews at age 44. I guess I could say, "I wish I'd done this years ago" but, for *me*, it's not true. I've had a great career in healthcare administration - no regrets. But, as I've gotten older, I've realized I have a lot more to contribute. I'll turn 45 just after school starts next year and I'll still be 51 when I finish a 3-year residency. Then I'll happily practice medicine for 15 years - maybe even 20 - and then I'll ride off into the sunset of retirement knowing I made full use of my talents.

Actually, working like a dog for two years on pre-med prerequisites seemed to me to be a pretty constructive way to handle a small mid-life crisis! :laugh:

Wow, amazing. I have so much respect for people with stories like this. Altruism defined.

jbone said:

I just started medical school at the age of 43. I have a healthcare background and a "healthy" sense of what is, and is not important,( I know what to get stressed out about, and what not to...). Honestly, the older you are, the better prepared you are for med school.

Hi,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! that is awesome. What school are you attending?

Thanks

Dotsero said:
I just started medical school at the age of 43. I have a healthcare background and a "healthy" sense of what is, and is not important,( I know what to get stressed out about, and what not to...). Honestly, the older you are, the better prepared you are for med school.

I WISH I was only 29 when starting!! I'll probably be starting when I'm 42. It is tough to think about getting started on a residency so late, but you're going to get older no matter what you're doing so you might as well be doing something that is meaningful.

Members don't see this ad :)
jbone said:
How do I compare to the rest of ya'll? I don't want to be the grandpa of my class. Chime in and let us know how old you REALLY are so I don't feel so old and alone. :thumbup:

I'll be 44 or 45 when I apply in 2008 or 2009. And I want to do a MD/PhD, too, but not an MSTP -- I probably wouldn't get in because of my age. It's an uphill struggle and a very long shot, but I have nothing to lose but a few more years of my life. I've been volunteering half-time since 1991.

dasta said:
I'll be 44 or 45 when I apply in 2008 or 2009. And I want to do a MD/PhD, too, but not an MSTP -- I probably wouldn't get in because of my age.
Don't rule out the MSTP's just yet! I was also concerned about my age (39) and my not to competitive MCAT's until the director of one program called and told me otherwise( I won't be continuting the process with this school because I don't want to relocate 4 states away from my family). You really never know what your chances are until you start making some phone calls/ visits. I think if your research is solid with everything else in place, you have as decent a shot as anyone else!

Good luck, fellow "old" Mud Phud!!!

Thanks, guys, it is **so** nice to know that I'm not the only 40+ member of SDN. And, ExtraAverage, thank you for your generous remark (a little kindness is going miles with me during this stressful interview season). You know, all of us in the 35+ crowd (non-trad-non-trads? old-non-trads?) have our own personal reasons for coming to medicine at this time in our lives, but we can certainly support each other through the premed/admissions process. We need to use the Non-Traditionals Forum more often - a lot of work was done last Spring to get it moved up into the pre-med section. If I manage to get an acceptance, I certainly promise to do everything I can to help those older students who follow me.

1Path said:
I think if your research is solid with everything else in place, you have as decent a shot as anyone else!
Thanks 1Path, you're truly inspiring! I have some GPA issues, but I'll try to rock on the MCAT when I take it in 2007. But I need to be realistic; I'll shoot for the moon, but probably get shot down myself. But I'll keep plugging along . . . what else can one do?

As far as using the Non-Traditionals Forum more often, perhaps www.oldpremeds.org would be a good place to talk about issues that we folks face.

Hey there.

If I get in the year I graduate from UC Davis, I will be about 35 or so by the time I get into med school.

I do not have a health care background. I was a dotcom type of person, and a graphic artist. I didn't have any interesting health care experiences.

I DO however get these eccentric, obsessive interests, and for me, that interest has always been in diseases, anatomy and pathology, plus other aspects of biological sciences. I can easily see myself in pathology or something similar.

Just turned 33 now and will be 34 when I start (I hope). I look at it this way....one day we will all be 60 - you can't stop time. So we will either be 60 and a physician, PA, PharmD, or what have you, or 60 and doing something that we obviously would prefer not to be. Why not go for it? What is there to loose - other than lots of money and our sanity? :p

Canned from Boeing at 27.
Applied to med school at 28.
Accepted at 29.
Deferring right now.
Start class of 2010 at the age of 30.
In debt forever ...

35 years old... 1st year of med school... loving it, too! There is no substitute for life experience. Non trads usually have boatloads of it, and I think that helps us connect with patients on a more "real" level.

38.. I'll be 39 when I start school next year. I think non-trads also have a healthy respect for what patients go through and the difficulties patients may have taking care of their health when life gets in the way (i.e. children, aging parents, work issues, financial issues, etc).

ShyRem said:
38.. I'll be 39 when I start school next year. I think non-trads also have a healthy respect for what patients go through and the difficulties patients may have taking care of their health when life gets in the way (i.e. children, aging parents, work issues, financial issues, etc).
I second this comment. Plus, we have all seen what the rest of the world is like, have explored other options, and are ready to commit to a lifestyle that requires so much of you.

I will be 34 when I start next fall. In my interview, when they asked how my fellow students would describe me, I said "old."

dasta said:
Thanks 1Path, you're truly inspiring! I have some GPA issues, but I'll try to rock on the MCAT when I take it in 2007.
Thanks for the compliment! Just PLEASE do yourself a HUGE favor and treat the MCAT as if your app relies soley on your score. I know everyone says that we are all more than our "numbers" but so many adcoms feel VERY differently. I'd even go so far as to say that the nontrad with the 30+ MCAT is at more of advantage acceptance wise than any other "group" because the prior life experience/maturity combined with the "pla-dow" MCAT = a dam good doctor in the making.

Now = 29
MCAT ('07) = 30
Anticipated matriculation = 31 (going on 32)

I'll be 39 when I finish a 4-year residency.

Fine with me!

40 is the new 20?

1Path said:
Thanks for the compliment! Just PLEASE do yourself a HUGE favor and treat the MCAT as if your app relies soley on your score. I know everyone says that we are all more than our "numbers" but so many adcoms feel VERY differently. I'd even go so far as to say that the nontrad with the 30+ MCAT is at more of advantage acceptance wise than any other "group" because the prior life experience/maturity combined with the "pla-dow" MCAT = a dam good doctor in the making.

1Path, can you shed some light on why the MCAT is absolutely critical to us non-trads? Because I know you're right. When I first started on this journey, an academic physician I know told me (point-blank) that my age was not an obstacle but that "you *must* come through on the MCAT as an older student - we will not make exceptions." And I heard this again and again - the MCAT is critical. I was fortunate to get that 30+ score, and I know I'll need it as an over-40 applicant.

I'm wondering if there is some factor that makes the MCAT more difficult for those of us who are older. I've read theories that many non-trad students took their science a long time ago. I don't believe that because I attended current pre-med courses with a number of over-35 aspiring pre-meds - these folks were hard-working, motivated "A" students who went down in flames on the MCAT - I was truly shocked (and heartbroken for my friends). I wonder if the MCAT just stretches your brain so hard that it becomes more difficult after a certain age for some people. I've surmised that the adcoms know the MCAT becomes more difficult for older students. I haven't been able to find any research at all about the MCAT and the older non-trad (except for AMCAS data which shows that the average score drops sharply in the 31+ age group).

Yeah, the MCAT is important, but being older for me, meant that I had a strong grasp on how to study and what to study. I did all my studying on my own (no Kaplan classes or post-bac programs) between January and August and scored 28. Got into Colorado with this score.

Really, all the information on the MCAT comes from freshman and sophomore level college classes. It is not graduate level material. Look at it this way, and your confidence will grow, which can only help you learn the material.

Non-TradTulsa said:
I'm wondering if there is some factor that makes the MCAT more difficult for those of us who are older.

Here's what I believe were MY issues with doing above average on the MCAT and maybe other nontrads can relate to some, none, or all of my "issues":

1) I took my first MCAT preq in 1986 and science has changed a LOT since I finished them.

2) I was barely a "C" average student in my preq's. I don't think ANYONE should take the MCAT without at least a "B" average in their preq's.

3) Poor preparation. I was a single parent during my most recent tries and as a result, I didn't have the resources to pay for additional courses, or educational materials to prepare for the exam until VERY recently. Poor finances places a person at a distinct disadvantage.

4) Knowing HOW to take the test. The MCAT isn't hard at all, but it is VERY, VERY tricky with very fine lines of distinction needed to be drawn between picking the "right answer" and the "better right answer". I'm obviously still working on this. :rolleyes:

I should also mention that I'm applying MD/PhD so the onus on me is even more to produce on the MCAT if I want to get into a program with a solid research component. Plus I'm limited geographically.

So MCAT 2006, here I come once again for April 2006 but this time, I'll have the help of an online study group, MCAT prep course, 6 months + prep time, ALL the EK materials, and some of the TPR and Kaplan stuff too on my side. :thumbup:

And congrats on that 30+ score!!!

Non-TradTulsa said:
I'm wondering if there is some factor that makes the MCAT more difficult for those of us who are older. I've read theories that many non-trad students took their science a long time ago. I don't believe that because I attended current pre-med courses with a number of over-35 aspiring pre-meds - these folks were hard-working, motivated "A" students who went down in flames on the MCAT - I was truly shocked (and heartbroken for my friends). I wonder if the MCAT just stretches your brain so hard that it becomes more difficult after a certain age for some people.
Like most things in life, I think doing well on the MCAT depends on a number of factors but I've never believed that nontrads suffer from some sort of "nontrad demitia" where the MCAT is concerned. :laugh:

IMHO, to compare a typical nontrad (family, long time out of school, mortage, ect) to a trad is to compare apples and oranges. Not many nontrads can afford to take months off to prepare for the exam like so many trads do and I'd imagine that almost none have their parents footing the bill. And if they could afford to take time off or have someone else footing the bill, studying for this exam with a baby (or husband ;))whinning in the background is pretty dificult too.

Now the arguement is that nontrads make a choice to pursue med school with these challenges and that 's true which is why we're so lucky DO schools exist. To my knowledge, there has NEVER been a study which shows that nontrads, who often don't do as well as trads on the MCAT, become poorer physicians. In fact, I'd surmise that the exact opposite is true, that because of the life expereicne nontrads bring to the table they do a better job as physicians. Life experience and maturity have NO substitutes.

jbone said:
There is a 52 year old vet in first year doing medicine where I am at.

Feel the youth :)

Thanks ya'll, it's good to know that I am in good company.
Keep it comming. :thumbup:

1Path said:
IMHO, to compare a typical nontrad (family, long time out of school, mortage, ect) to a trad is to compare apples and oranges. Not many nontrads can afford to take months off to prepare for the exam like so many trads do and I'd imagine that almost none have their parents footing the bill. And if they could afford to take time off or have someone else footing the bill, studying for this exam with a baby (or husband ;) whinning in the background is pretty dificult too.
Thanks, 1Path. You're right and I hadn't thought about it that way. Having to be grown-up with a job (and a mortgage) are a big factor in our pre-med studies - and I'm single. My schedule last spring was: Mondays and Wednesdays: Kaplan 6-9 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays: Micro 5:30p - 10p on lab night, Friday night and Saturday afternoon: Organic II lecture and lab. Plus a professional job requiring at least 40 hours per week. Finding study time was a joke (I took a grand total of one week vacation to study prior to the test). I hope adcoms know how much blood, sweat, and tears (along with fierce determination) it took many of us non-trads to even apply!

But the MCAT is only one hurdle, albeit a big one. It certainly has very little to do with whether or not one becomes a skilled, compassionate physician. :oops:

jbone said:

Fear not young friend - you barely qualify for the "non-trad" honorific these days. I turned 40 last June. My fellow undergrads at Cal, and to some extent the faculty cannot believe my age when I tell 'em. It is all a matter of context - they know that I am not 20 but my being 40 so far out of their ken it doesn't even enter their minds as a possiblilty. I had a chat with a prof from the med school at UCSF the other day that was most encouraging - he noted that UCSF very much appreciates that which we bring to the class. It is also noteworthy that non-trads are not a new phenomenon. I friend of mine went to med school at Cornell back in the 70's and there was a 35 y/o in his class. My friend went on to psych residency at MGH where he met a 36 y/o med student from Harvard.

Frankly I think that as a Gen Xer I will be well suited to care for aging Boomer population - old enough to understand their concerns but young enough to practice medicine. Bon chance, mon vielle...

I just turned 30 and I'm expecting to start med school in september.

Great words of encouragement!!! I thought I was crazy until today...

crrchngr

I think that one of the issues for non-trads is that as you age it might take longer to "get" things down versus someone younger. Although our study habits are sound and we can buckle down probably more so than someone young who wants to do other things...let us not forget that age does affect studying to a certain degree. Sure it is not major but it might make a slight difference in how fast you can absorb material....just food for thought.

efex101 said:
I think that one of the issues for non-trads is that as you age it might take longer to "get" things down versus someone younger. Although our study habits are sound and we can buckle down probably more so than someone young who wants to do other things...let us not forget that age does affect studying to a certain degree. Sure it is not major but it might make a slight difference in how fast you can absorb material....just food for thought.
I'm not worried about it. What I lack in memory, I make up for it in determination and experience. :thumbup:

jbone said:

Well, if we both get into VCU, then you can rest assured that at least ONE student will be older than you. I'll be 32 next Sept.

Let's keep our fingers crossed dude. The 15th is just a few days off......

cf and jbone, if we all get into VCU I'll have you both beat by a long shot in age. So you'll BOTH have someone older than you. I just celebrate anniversaries of 29 now... :)

ShyRem said:
cf and jbone, if we all get into VCU I'll have you both beat by a long shot in age. So you'll BOTH have someone older than you. I just celebrate anniversaries of 29 now... :)
Oh how sweet that would be. Let's rub my buddha belly for good luck ;) . I really think a wait-list is in my future. No love for us Utah boys. But one can hope right? cf, rem, and inverted, all of ya'll would be great classmates. Best of luck to all of us. :thumbup:

jbone said:
Oh how sweet that would be. Let's rub my buddha belly for good luck ;) . I really think a wait-list is in my future. No love for us Utah boys. But one can hope right? cf, rem, and inverted, all of ya'll would be great classmates. Best of luck to all of us. :thumbup:

Yeah, it would be awesome if we all got in. I can't wait to start med school, work my ass off, meet some great people, learn a ton, and have a great time as well, you know? How cool it'll be..

jbone said:
Good luck to you all. I hope you get in too. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
Good luck to you all. I hope you get in too. :luck:
ya old geezers are too nice. Thanks. Same to you! :thumbup:

jbone, i gotta ask. what's up with the avatar? lol

cfdavid said:
jbone, i gotta ask. what's up with the avatar? lol
What can I say. the little dude looks like his name is "jbone". Too dumb to figure out how to put other avatars in (not provided by SDN). Little guy is cool. :thumbup:

efex101 said:
On this I'll have to somewhat disagree. I have also heard that age affects(or is it effects) learning, but my understanding is that those differences in learning occur at around age 50 not the 30's and 40's of most nontrads applying to med school. For me, I think my learning has GREATLY improved as I've acquired a "photographic memory" that was essentially nonexistant when I was in my 20's.

IMHO, it's kinda like saying a 35 year old can't handle the 3rd year of med school as easily as a 25 year old and this argument just doens't wash based on physiology alone (and not including other factors like babies in the house, sedentary lifestyle, weighing 50 lbs more than you did when you were youger, ect). Yes, a 35 year-old Micheal Jordan is slower than a 25 year old MJ, but med school isn't like the NBA is it? :confused: :laugh:

1Path said:
For me, I think my learning has GREATLY improved as I've acquired a "photographic memory" that was essentially nonexistant when I was in my 20's.
This is a little off-topic, but I'm really curious about how you did this. It would definitely be a useful thing to have a photographic memory in medical school!!!

Well we can agree to disagree but there is a study out there somewhere that compared how non-trads fared in medical school versus the trads and in general we tend to not do as well....now I am not saying that as you age you LOSE all your thinking potential but that it does take "somewhat" more time then someone younger. Of course the coursework in undergrad will not prove anything because compared to medical school it is nil, but once in medical school you will see what I mean....

efex101 said:
Well we can agree to disagree but there is a study out there somewhere that compared how non-trads fared in medical school versus the trads and in general we tend to not do as well....now I am not saying that as you age you LOSE all your thinking potential but that it does take "somewhat" more time then someone younger. Of course the coursework in undergrad will not prove anything because compared to medical school it is nil, but once in medical school you will see what I mean....
Yea, I read a study out there "somewhere" that claimed the opposite. I just can't provide it at this time. :rolleyes: