Written Board Review Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked through Carol Rivers. I don't like outline format.

Any recommendations for a good question book or another review book?

Members don't see this ad.

Roja -- so what did you end up using for the Written Boards? I'm a new EM grad mulling over the several options that are out there... Ohio, Illinois, PA, NY, EM Board Review, so many choices...

Friends who did both the Ohio and the Vegas courses were very happy. I stuck to questions from the Prommes book and Peer VII and did fine.

For orals I used the pearls book...really the best is to have those who have already done oral boards run you through cases to practice.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I happen to know a lot of people that use or have used Carol Rivers. Her
website does say that as of Jan '09 she will no longer be revising the
book. I wonder if it is worth even buying the current edition or just
to look elsewhere in terms of book prep.

I'm probably going to end up doing one of the National Board Review courses before November and then do lots of PEER questions.

Anyone else looking at one of these courses?

Take care,
Jeff

I have looked through Carol Rivers. I don't like outline format.

Any recommendations for a good question book or another review book?

I did Peer VII, seemed fine.

Where I trained we had a very, umm, aggressive attending when it came to intraining prep. The residents joked about how much he drilled us, but in the end his materials made the tests seem almost too easy. This year I found out that he was developing a board prep course the whole time:

www.intrainingprep.com (for in-training exam)
www.abemprep.com (for the qualifying exam)

It should be fully operational in time to prepare for boards / intraining exams this year. Looks to be pretty cheap by comparison: only $35 for the in-training online review ($100 for written board exam review). These reviews were very concise / high yield, and I expect that I wont need any other matierials for my written board prep.

I don't have any financial affiliation with these guys, I just think it that the prep I got was a great resource. Nonetheless, I'd better quit before the mods start to get suspicious...

Huge resurrection! Here comes lazarus!

I did PEER VI for the written, and I tried to read the notes I got on ebay for a used OHIO Acep written review. Found that to be a waste of time.

Really if you did ok on the inservice there is no need to worry about the written.

Q

Huge resurrection! Here comes lazarus!

I did PEER VI for the written, and I tried to read the notes I got on ebay for a used OHIO Acep written review. Found that to be a waste of time.

Really if you did ok on the inservice there is no need to worry about the written.

Q

I've heard folks talk about good success with the Ohio and Las Vegas oral board review courses. Which ones specifically? Anyone else have any recs for the oral courses?

By the way, if you feel you need more than just the PEER VII questions, the Challenger CME questions are pretty good. Not sure it is making me any more ready than if I did just do the Peer VII by itself, though.

Thanks all. Went ahead and registered for NBEMR. Bombs away!

NEMBR falls at bad times for me.

Anyone know anything about Illinois' More In Four course?

Take care,
Jeff