A typical week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRmed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im not sure if I am posting in the correct forum, but feel free to let me know if im not!

I just wanted to know what is a typical week for a resident. I used the "search" option, but all I kept coming up with was 80 hrs a week...long hours...no sleep.... and things along those lines. I was wondering what time to you usually go into work and what time you leave. Do you have days off? Also, how does "on call" work? Do you get a day off afterward?

Overall, im just trying to get a feel of how a typical week would be. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you already have the general idea. Residency is tough. It will vary, though, depending on the specialty and depending on which service you're on (i.e. outpatient vs. ICU will be very different). You might have better luck asking in the forum of the specialty(ies) you're interested in.

Depends on the specialty and the year of training. A surgery intern and a PGY4 psych resident are miles apart...

It depends on the field you go into. But one thing rings true...residency is grueling training because you are learning/honing skillsets relevant to your specialty and you just gotta do it if you're gonna master it.

That being said, I'm a pathology resident. Typically I get in around 7-8 am and I don't leave until anywhere between 8 pm to midnight. I don't take overnight call but it isn't uncommon for me to put in 12-14 per day on average on weekdays. On weekends, I usually get one day off but on the weekend day that I work, I put in around 5-6 hours.

Cardiology Month at Duke, Intern Year:

Monday 7am to 7pm
Tuesday 7am to 7pm
Wednesday Call
Thursday 7am to 2 pm.
Friday 7am to 7pm
Satuday 7am to 7pm
Sunday off
Monday Call
Tuesday 7am to 2pm...

Do I need to go on? It's really not that bad once you get used to it. I guarantee however that during intern year you will have several moments, maybe at 3AM when you are geting hammered with admissions and have nothing to look foward to but rounding until 2PM and repeating the process for the next six months, when you will say, "What the fu(k was I thinking when I applied to medical school?"

I was pretty gung ho in medical school and even I have had those moments. You know, when you're tired, irritated, and overworked and you ask yourself if it was all worth it.

Yes, it depends.

Now: Five 8h shifts/week (average).

Next: 5a-5p with q3-4 call and 4 days (=24h periods) off for the month.

But then a week of vacation - skiing!! :thumbup:

Last three weeks for me as a surgical intern.

1) "Operating week" In by 6, out by 3-6 depending on the case load = 45 hrs + Golden Weekend
2) "Day Intern Week" In by 6, out by 6, 30 hr call on Saturday = 90 hrs
3) "Night Intern Week" In by 5pm, out by 7-9am, 30 hr call on Sunday = 110 hours

I still average less than 80 hours a week, so it's in compliance with hours. By the end of nights, I was depressed, exhausted, bitter and questioning why I was even in medicine. Sunday night I did procedures that went smoothly, Monday morning I operated all morning and left on the top of the world. The bottom line for residency is it's likely that the lows will be as low as you've experienced in your life (barring some real tragedy) and the highs will be brief but life sustaining.

Thank you for all the replies... Sounds grueling!! I wish you all the best!

Chief Surgical Resident:

Typically 6 am-6:30/7:30 pm (depends on if we've managed to round before a 5 pm meeting; ER consults, late cases. etc.) on weekdays

Weekends: usually 7am-10 or so (depends on census, acuity of patients, trustworthiness of the intern [ie, do I have to double-check whether or not the orders have been put in correctly, or at all?])

In house on call 1-2 times per month, back-up for Trauma 1-2 times a month

Usually 1 weekend off per month if I have someone to cover my service