Open Residency Position at Jules Stein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Jules Stein/UCLA ophthalmology resident planning to transfer into another field. This will create a potential PGY-2 position in ophthalmology for immediate entry at UCLA/Jules Stein. Candidates must not be current residents in other ophthalmology programs, should have completed internship (medicine, surgery or transitional year) and be able to join soon. If interested, please email me with your training information, current training/educational status and CV and I will forward it to my department administration with your contact info. If you are a potential candidate, the program will get back to you. Thank you very much.

Hasan Syed
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Addendum regarding above-

There is simply one reason I am switching fields from ophthalmology to orthopaedics: I recognized that I enjoyed musculoskeletal anatomy and the mechanical nature of orthopaedic surgical repairs and I missed this as an ophthalmology resident. Ophthalmology is an outstanding field that offers the doctor a chance to be a physician and surgeon at the same time. The question boiled down to whether I wanted to be operating within the orbit or outside the orbit. It is was tough, but in the long run, I knew I would want to be involved in the latter.

What has made this decision excruciatingly difficult is being at the best ophthalmology residency program with the best people all around me. The training at Jules Stein is terrific and the residents that come out of this program are very highly sought after, both academically and in the community. I can recall numerous instances where community physicians would send patients with perplexing diagnostic situations to be seen at Stein thru the UCLA ER and the 2nd year resident made the correct diagnosis and instituted the right management within minutes! I know that I speak for all the first years in that we hold all our senior residents in high esteem.

Obviously, to become well trained, one must expect rigorous training. In the first year, residents become well versed in both the clinical and basic sciences through well structured didactics. There is a evening session one day a week for microsurgery, and one half day a week is protected time for grand rounds, basic and clinical science sessions that are taught by the leading faculty in their respective fields.

All this helps to create independent and confident residents who make big clinical decisions everyday which is very exciting. Plus, the program is in Los Angeles so there is always something fun minutes from the Stein.

But an even stronger point about this program is how the nice people are. As you can imagine, switching out in the middle of the year is a big deal...I was afraid of the backlash I would face. What has surprised me the most is how supportive and genuinely considerate everyone, from the residents to the faculty, have been with my decision. I think this speaks volumes in of itself.

Please email me if you have anymore questions. Thanks,

Hasan

[email protected]

Hasan is a great resident and will be missed by all of us. We wish him well in Orthopedics, although we wonder about trading elegant microsurgery for bone saws and drills. We agree with his comments about the supportive residents and faculty. In our opinion it is the best residency in Ophthalmology in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
I am a Jules Stein/UCLA ophthalmology resident planning to transfer into another field. This will create a potential PGY-2 position in ophthalmology for immediate entry at UCLA/Jules Stein. Candidates must not be current residents in other ophthalmology programs, should have completed internship (medicine, surgery or transitional year) and be able to join soon. If interested, please email me with your training information, current training/educational status and CV and I will forward it to my department administration with your contact info. If you are a potential candidate, the program will get back to you. Thank you very much.

Hasan Syed
[email protected]
My wife is a qualified applicant, having completed PGY1 residency, is AOA (#2 in her med school class), has published bench reseach from fellowship with Dr. Edelhauser at Emory, and would LOVE to train at Jules Stein.
Please tell me you are serious!

maxmcmatt said:
My wife is a qualified applicant, having completed PGY1 residency, is AOA (#2 in her med school class), has published bench reseach from fellowship with Dr. Edelhauser at Emory, and would LOVE to train at Jules Stein.
Please tell me you are serious!
That is great. Please contact our administrator Lori Twitchell by email or phone as follows:
[email protected]
(310) 206 6138
Include a CV with the usual prerequisite data, USMLE Scores, Transcripts if you have them. She will set up an interview date.

JSEI said:
That is great. Please contact our administrator Lori Twitchell by email or phone as follows:
[email protected]
(310) 206 6138
Include a CV with the usual prerequisite data, USMLE Scores, Transcripts if you have them. She will set up an interview date.

Thank you for responding, she will send her file to Ms. Twitchell immediately, and is ready to interview at the Program Director's convenience.

By the way, when is Dr. Syed ending his program at JSEI? And do you know when his replacement would begin?

Funny, in the first post, I thought Dr. Doan was doing the talking but he's a fellow.

Also funny is that the resident is helping to recruit, i.e. asking people to e-mail him? I thought almost all, one exception that I know, programs find replacements with no involvement of the resident leaving.

People have asked here about income. Most orthopedic surgeons make much more than ophthalmologists. Only the few who run a busy LASIK show can potentially make more. During internship, I watched 4 total knees then the attending let me do the 5th. I also did a few 2-3 ankle fractures from start to finish. Orthopods are not idiots or clumsy people. If you screw the ankle wrong, you can unscrew it but it won't hold very well on the 2nd attempt.

Ortho is a great field. In my book, it's in a 3 way tie for #1.

what a great opportunity, best of luck w/ the transition, Hasan.

strangely I find this overlap quite common: ortho and ophtho. various attendings i've spoken with in each field have strongly considered the other...i'm still considering!

I hear nothing but good things the program at JSEI...good luck to all those applying!

Hi all,

I contacted JSEI yesterday and learned that the position has been filled. Ohio State and Howard do currently have vacancies though. That information is posted on the sf match site under the immediate vacancies section (www.sfmatch.com).

Good luck :)

I guess that leaves Ohio

maxmcmatt said:
Thank you for responding, she will send her file to Ms. Twitchell immediately, and is ready to interview at the Program Director's convenience.

By the way, when is Dr. Syed ending his program at JSEI? And do you know when his replacement would begin?

Just curious, but did your wife get the position? If so, it speaks well of this forum and its ability to get people connected and supported.

UTSouthwestern said:
Just curious, but did your wife get the position? If so, it speaks well of this forum and its ability to get people connected and supported.

A resident from New Orleans got the position. The program received inquiries, however, because of this forum.

I am not sure if this particular resident saw the notice on here and then called, but the timing of the placement was a matter of days after this post.