Puerto Rican Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trovadora

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, so help me out here please. I am interested in finding out the USMLE passing rate for Ponce School of Medicine and/or Recinto de Ciencias Medicas and/or Universidad Central del Caribe. Also, I have heard that in Ponce, for example, all of the text books are in English (of course) but ALL courses are taught in Spanish. Does anyone know about what percentage of the classes are taught in Spanish? I find that for Spanish instruction can be advantageous, since being bilingual is becoming almost a demand. But will this put students at a disadvantage when taking the USMLE, since it is in English? :) Hope to receive lots of posts :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

trovadora said:
Hi, this is my first post, so help me out here please. I am interested in finding out the USMLE passing rate for Ponce School of Medicine and/or Recinto de Ciencias Medicas and/or Universidad Central del Caribe. Also, I have heard that in Ponce, for example, all of the text books are in English (of course) but ALL courses are taught in Spanish. Does anyone know about what percentage of the classes are taught in Spanish? I find that for Spanish instruction can be advantageous, since being bilingual is becoming almost a demand. But will this put students at a disadvantage when taking the USMLE, since it is in English? :) Hope to receive lots of posts :thumbup:

I am also looking into medical schools in Puerto Rico. I really can't answer any of your questions except to say that my impression of Ponce is that many of the students are from the mainland and are entirely fluent in English. UPR is for (all intents and purposes) really only a viable option for PR residents or those with "close ties" to Puerto Rico (the details are on their website).

PineappleGirl said:
I am also looking into medical schools in Puerto Rico. I really can't answer any of your questions except to say that my impression of Ponce is that many of the students are from the mainland and are entirely fluent in English. UPR is for (all intents and purposes) really only a viable option for PR residents or those with "close ties" to Puerto Rico (the details are on their website).

Thanks for your reply PineappleGirl. I've been browsing through some of the websites but, in Ponce's for example, I haven't found anything about their USMLE passing rate or prep strategies. I want to get in touch with an alumni or someone with personal experience. I will definitely post any useful info. :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
trovadora said:
Thanks for your reply PineappleGirl. I've been browsing through some of the websites but, in Ponce's for example, I haven't found anything about their USMLE passing rate or prep strategies. I want to get in touch with an alumni or someone with personal experience. I will definitely post any useful info. :idea:
Hi there,
I am currently a student at UPR school of medicine. To answer some of your doubts, all three med schools here use the same texts as most other schools in the US. All tests, quizzes, research papers are in english. Usually for a given course classes can be taught either in english or in spanish, depending on the personal preference of that particular instructor. The faculty of our first block courses (anatomy, histology, embriology) taught classes almost exclussively in english. Regardless of what language the instructor decides to use for lecture, all powerpoint presentations and handouts are in english.
Our grades are based on what we earn in tests, quizzes, etc. For all courses, the final exam given is a shelf exam, which is a national standardized exam used in all med schools.
As for your question on passing rates on the USMLE, well students at UPR are doing just about the national average, I have heard good things about Ponce. As for UCC, well their average passing rates are a bit lower than ours but not by that much. They were recently reaccredited until 2012, so they must be doing something right.
I recommend you apply to all three schools in PR. If you study medicine in PR, you will agree that it is definately an experience that will make you stand out from other applicants, especially if you are thinking of practicing medicine in a large urban center. Well, I dont know what else I can tell you, but if you have any questions write them here or PM me. I am in the middle of the medical physiology block, and between having a life and studying I dont have as much time for SDN as I used to. But, I will be more than glad to answer any question you or anyone else might have. :thumbup:
Dr Who

PineappleGirl said:

Hello,

I thought it'd be useful for all to see the following info I got by emailing "[email protected]". Their FAQ list is also very very useful. This is the link :

http://www.psm.edu/Student_Affairs/Admissions/faq_admission.htm

Best of luck to all :luck:

Thank you for your interest in our M.D. Program. Ponce School of Medicine has a 4 yr medical curriculum, which emphasizes in Primary Care and Family Medicine. Requirements for admission are:

-BS in Sciences or premed degree from a college level institution accredited by the CHE of PR or by a US accrediting organization. A minimum of 90 credits is also considered for those candidates with a solid science background and a high GPA and MCAT. Required credits must include: 8 Biology, 8 General Chemistry, 8 Organic Chemistry, 8 Physics, 6 Advanced Math, 6 Spanish, 12 English, 12 Behavioral Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Sciences, Economics).

-A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.7

-Have taken the MCAT within the year prior to application and have a score no less than 19.

-Be completely bilingual in English and Spanish

Our application for admission is processed through AMCAS, available online only at: www.aamc.org AMCAS deadline is DECEMBER 15. No secondary application is required. However, after the AMCAS application is received by our Admissions Office, the applicant will receive an email with general information on our admission process and list of required documents which are: three letters of recommendation from college professors of the applicant’s faculty (at least two of them from Science professors) or a Health Professions Advisory Committee Composite Evaluation, official transcripts, US$100.00 application processing fee and Police Record or Background Check. Upon acceptance, up to date immunization record, evidence of Hepatitis B vaccine and four 2x2 photographs will be required. Students must pass the USMLE Step I before continuing the third year rotations, USMLE Step II and the clinical practice examination prior to graduation.

Tuition for PR residents is $17,835.73 and $26,590.20 for non-residents. A $1,000 non-refundable deposit is required upon confirmation of acceptance. This deposit will guarantee a place in the entering class and is applied to the first semester tuition. Classes and orientation period begin in July.

We do not have on campus living facilities but a Housing List is provided to all accepted students in which they can find houses, apartments, studios, students looking for roommates, etc. Some are walking distance, for others you’ll need a car or at least a bike, it all depends. This list is available around May each year. The USMLE passing rate is: Step I, over 80% (1st attempt), overall 97%. For the Step II, over 90% (1st attempt) and overall 98%. Most of our students choose Kaplan but you may select the course of your preference. We do not defer acceptances but if accepted and decide not to enter that year, you must apply again through AMCAS and special consideration will be given by the Admissions Committee.

Any other questions, feel free to contact us again.

Have a nice day,

Gladys L Cintron

Ponce School of Medicine

Admissions Office

PO Box 7004

Ponce PR 00732

Tel (787) 840-2575 Ext 2142

[email protected]

[email protected]

I can help you with any questions regarding UCC. The first 2 years the majority of the classes are taught in Spanish. Like UPR and Ponce, you are supposed to be bilingual. Roughly where each language comes into play is as follows:

Spanish:

1. Most classroom instruction
2. An occasional quiz
3. Patients - This is critical as many of your patients will not speak English. Your first year you are shadowing doctors in the community as part of a preceptorship program. Additionally, the patients that you "practice" with your first 2 years are usually only fluent in Spanish. During your rotations, Spanish is even more important as you are working with patients all the time. Additionally, most doctors speak or at least have a working understanding of English, but many of the nurses and ancillary support will not.

There are some folks who have come down here from the states and have had to really work on their Spanish, but again, as was previously mentioned, the comfort level that will be developed in Spanish in medical settings will be a tremendous asset in the mainland.

English:

1. Limited classroom instruction (pretty much only some of your Biochemistry courses, everything else is taught in Spanish) However, even though the prof. is teaching in Spanish, the power point presentations on display are almost always in English.

2. All exams and most quizzes are in English.

3. As per LCME accreditation, all boards taken are in English.

During your core clinical rotations, some of the profs will speak in English during classes in order to get the native Spanish speakers ready for the Step 2 CS.

Also, at UCC, (I think Ponce and UPR are the same, but I am not really sure) you are required to pass a national board (NBME) exam "Shelf exam" in each subject, both during the didactic years, as well as during your core rotations.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions about UCC or school in Puerto Rico.

Ramon y Cajal said:
I can help you with any questions regarding UCC. The first 2 years the majority of the classes are taught in Spanish. Like UPR and Ponce, you are supposed to be bilingual. Roughly where each language comes into play is as follows:

Spanish:

2. An occasional quiz
3. Patients - This is critical as many of your patients will not speak English. Your first year you are shadowing doctors in the community as part of a preceptorship program. Additionally, the patients that you "practice" with your first 2 years are usually only fluent in Spanish. During your rotations, Spanish is even more important as you are working with patients all the time. Additionally, most doctors speak or at least have a working understanding of English, but many of the nurses and ancillary support will not.

There are some folks who have come down here from the states and have had to really work on their Spanish, but again, as was previously mentioned, the comfort level that will be developed in Spanish in medical settings will be a tremendous asset in the mainland.

English:

1. Limited classroom instruction (pretty much only some of your Biochemistry courses, everything else is taught in Spanish) However, even though the prof. is teaching in Spanish, the power point presentations on display are almost always in English.

During your core clinical rotations, some of the profs will speak in English during classes in order to get the native Spanish speakers ready for the Step 2 CS.

Also, at UCC, (I think Ponce and UPR are the same, but I am not really sure) you are required to pass a national board (NBME) exam "Shelf exam" in each subject, both during the didactic years, as well as during your core rotations.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions about UCC or school in Puerto Rico.

Hey, thanks so much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. I've tried to get in touch with the UCC admissions office via e-mail, but haven't received any response. I am completely bi-lingual, in fact my first language is beautiful Español. But my only concern is that the fact that most instruction is in English will be a problem when it comes to taking the boards. What do know, personally, and from other students about how this factor influences USMLE scores? Also, does UCC offer first year housing or do you have to find off campus housing since day 1? Could you give me an idea of your monthly expenses, including rent, facilities, and food etc.? What is the neighborhood like? Is it relatively safe to live in certain areas around the school? Thanks a lot for your help. I wish you the best in your studies y sigue madrugando :luck:

As far as contact goes, I recommend just calling the school instead of emailing. And no, I don't think the language really has any bearing on USMLE scores. One thing about down here, people really pride themselves on being bilingual, and the school makes a point of ensuring that native Spanish speakers are comfortable with taking the exams in English, but since all exams are in English from day one this isn't a problem as is evidenced by our 1st time USMLE pass rate.

Unfortunately, the school does not provide housing, however the school will be happy to help you find housing in the nearby area and will even help you find a roommate. As far as cost goes, PR is a little bit expensive (comparable to the mainland US East Coast, so if you are from the Midwest you may be in for a bit of a shock, but it isn't too bad) Bayamon is fairly inexpensive and I would recommend living in either Bayamon or Guaynabo (a little nicer, but also a little more expensive) rather than in Isla Verde, Condado, or Rio Piedras because the tapones (traffic jams) here can be brutal. Because UCC is in the greater San Juan metroplex you will find a wide variety of housing available, ranging from affordable to very expensive. Many places you can negotiate electricity and water in your monthly rent.

The bottom line is that you can find affordable housing closeby in a safe neighborhood.

Otra cosita mas - exito y suerte con tu proceso de solicitar!!

I just want to put out more info based on facts in terms of the competitiveness of medical schools in Puerto Rico. I graduated in 2004 from UPR Ciencias Medicas in the top 25 of my class. I joined that NAVY in the HPSP scholarship meaning that I am in a different track (Military). From my class in 2004, one person matched in Radiology at Mass General, other people matched in Baylor (including the ENT program), others at UT (including another ENT program), Jackson Memorial, Tulane and Philadelphia. My point is that at least the top 25% of the UPR classes are competitive enough to actually match in top tier programs in USA. I also know personally another girl who graduated in 2003(or 2002) from Ponce and she is also a Radiology Resident at Mass General. This is just to inform those Mainland US residents that Medical Schools in Puerto Rico are accredited, competitive and are MD programs (not a DO programs). Additionally they have Alpha Omega Alpha chapters ( I am a memeber) that are recognized in USA. I you want more info or have any specific question just PM me. I can tell you all about it.

PS:
Being bilingual is not only an asset, it’s pretty much a must in USA. Also, all the information in this message is verifiable. Call Mass General and Ask for those residents that I mentioned. Or go to this website (http://www.massgeneralimaging.org/NewFiles/find_phys.html) and down load the PDF file that lists all the physicians and look for their names.

Hi JA Perez,
Thanks for that post. I know that a lot of people have that bias towards the puerto rican schools. I would be delighted to attend one of them because I actually prefer a bilingual program. What can you tell me about your experience in UPR as far as the professors and the academic experience? What about the school environment, relations among students, the community around you? :thumbup: I wish you the best in your program and hope to hear from you soon. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
trovadora said:
Hi JA Perez,
Thanks for that post. I know that a lot of people have that bias towards the puerto rican schools. I would be delighted to attend one of them because I actually prefer a bilingual program. What can you tell me about your experience in UPR as far as the professors and the academic experience? What about the school environment, relations among students, the community around you? :thumbup: I wish you the best in your program and hope to hear from you soon. :D

Well. Are you a "puertorriqueña"? Because it is really hard to be accepted in "Ciencias Medicas" if you or your parents are not form PR. But the school is good. Professors are very knowledgeable and most of the faculty members are Board Certified. There are a of mainland (American Ph.D.’s) professors in the first two years (basic sciences). But the clinical years are mostly puertorrican doctors (many of them trained in the US either by civilian or military programs.) The School is in San Juan which means that there is a lot to do, but also means a lot of traffic and people. I am sure the University of Puerto Rico will provide you with the education required to ace your boards and have critical medical thinking. The rest is up to you. PM me if you want more details about my experience...Adios

Javier

Any one here who has been accepted into Ponce and feels will be going there next July? I intervied there and I'm waiting to hear back from them. Anyone going to Ponce for sure at this point???

Zepp

Zeppelin900,

I got accepted into Ponce and UCC and decided to attend Ponce in July. There is no doubt in my mind that I could receive a medical education of the same quality at UCC or UPR (if I had applied). However, in my research to choose between UCC and Ponce, I heard many more positive things about Ponce than UCC. That was just my experience. USMLE pass rates for each school are close. One thing I would greatly consider is asking for the schools' match results for the last one or two years and looking up those residency programs on the internet to see how graduates from the school in question are competitive. Another thing is location. UCC and UPR are in the metro area. This means that unless you live close to campus, expect anything to happen between home and school in terms of traffic. Ponce, on the other hand, is a small city; and, I have found many places to live close to campus...not to mention the teaching hospital is within walking distance!

Hello,
I am an MS IV at Ponce getting ready to graduate in a month. I'm from upstate New York, no family or connections to PR. Have to say I've had a great experience here! My Spanish has improved tremedously, and I got a great medical education in the process. From my class we had people match into some great programs, ENT, DERM, Plastics, Optho, RADS etc. If you are in the top 20% of the class you can definitely match into highly competitive programs.

Let me know if you have any Q'S.

ADAM INGRAFFEA

the top 20% of the class..wow, that's 12 students in a class of 60. That's pretty good.
On the other hand, they haven't reached a decision with regards to my file, mainly because the class is pretty full as of now. I wonder whether there will be some acceptees dropping from now untill June or July. I hope there are because my acceptance is depending on that.

In the meantime, take it easy and keep us posted.

I hope you do get an acceptance. The year I started there were some people that called 1-2 weeks before classes began so don't give up hope yet. Also you can try calling and telling them how much you want to come here, that can also help a little.

Adam

No kidding, I call almost every week. They told me that there are only 20-30 people waiting to hear a decision so, I makes me feel better I'm not competing agaist 100 ppl right now. They told me the class was full and they were waiting for some ppl to drop their acceptances, which is expected every year. So, I think I will not bother them for at least 2-3 weeks and let some time go by. It seems like only you and me are subscribe to this thread..oh well
Keep in contact

Zepp

Zepelin I hope you end up in Ponce. I know a couple of people there and they only have good things to say about the school. I study at UPR, but if and when you do get accepted, you will hear a lot from us and UCC (you'll understand what I mean when you get there.) Well good luck and let us know when you get the letter. :thumbup:
Trovadora and pineapplegirl, hope to see you two at Ponce or UCC too. When you guys are accepted let me know, ok?
Dr Who

I will let you know as soon as I get something. I'm also waitlisted in another school Florida State. I'm in the same situation over there, the class if full and there is around 100 in the wait list. Bottom line is I'm not in med school yet and would like to hear anything from any of them. I'm suffering through this wait...

Yeah, I remember THE WAITING. It was horrible.

Still nothing, they tell me that the class is full at this moment and I basically have to wait for ppl to drop acceptances. I have a 3.2 undergrad and a 3.4 post-bach and an mcat of 28. What do you guys think my chances are. My friend whos is currently a second year there tell me that my mcat score should be top notch in ponce, but I'm getting nervous at this point...I really like the school and I know I will be enjoy living there a LOT. What do you guys going to Ponce think my chances are?

Thanks..

Zepp

Zeppelin900 said:
Still nothing, they tell me that the class is full at this moment and I basically have to wait for ppl to drop acceptances. I have a 3.2 undergrad and a 3.4 post-bach and an mcat of 28. What do you guys think my chances are. My friend whos is currently a second year there tell me that my mcat score should be top notch in ponce, but I'm getting nervous at this point...I really like the school and I know I will be enjoy living there a LOT. What do you guys going to Ponce think my chances are?

Thanks..

Zepp

Unless you blew your interview, I think your chances of getting into Ponce were better than mine. I had a 3.2 undergrad gpa, b.s. in genetics, and a lower mcat than you. If you did well on your interview and also have a good resume, then you would practically be a "shoe-in" for Ponce. I believe May is the month the class list is finalized since financial aid documents have to be in by the end of the month. Keep calling the admissions office to let them know how much you would love to attend Ponce. Ask to talk to Dra. Mercado, the dean of admissions, and make your case. Good luck! And if you get accepted, I'm possibly looking for a roommate.

Cachito said:
Unless you blew your interview, I think your chances of getting into Ponce were better than mine. I had a 3.2 undergrad gpa, b.s. in genetics, and a lower mcat than you. If you did well on your interview and also have a good resume, then you would practically be a "shoe-in" for Ponce. I believe May is the month the class list is finalized since financial aid documents have to be in by the end of the month. Keep calling the admissions office to let them know how much you would love to attend Ponce. Ask to talk to Dra. Mercado, the dean of admissions, and make your case. Good luck! And if you get accepted, I'm possibly looking for a roommate.

My first interview (English) went great! and I had a somewhat difficult interviewer, but I came out of there feeling I had done well. We ended up talking about baseball, so it couldn't have been that bad. Now clarify this to me, what is the best way of contacting Dra. Mercado? Is it to call the number and press 0 and then to ask to be connected with her? I have been calling the admissions office very often, so at this point I think I would need to talk to someone directly on the committee.

My roomate from college is a second year there and if I end up in Ponce we probably rent toguether, I'm sorry about that...Thanks a lot for your response!

Zeppelin900,
I'm actually surprised that they didn't offer you a place with the scores and grades you posted. You sound like a good candidate for admission and I think you have a pretty decent chance of getting accepted. I think I posted earlier that some people in my class got accepted at the end of June. The school has a combiend 7 year program with the Catholic U. here but the students don't always pass the MCAT in time and so their spaces can open up.

Good luck,
Adam

Thanks adamant for your response..I'm waiting tight...

Hey Zeppelin,
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke to the people in the admissions office today. They said the waiting list is huge this year and isn't moving at all. I still hope you can get in but it is going to be really tough this year.

Good luck,
Adam

Hi,
I applying to Ponce for the 2007 class. I took the MCAT in April of 2005. Will Ponce accept my score? In the MSAR it says that they consider scores from 2004 on, but on their website they say that applicants must have taken the MCAT one year before intended enrollment. I emailed the admissions office but haven't gotten a response. Can anyway clarify this? Thanks in advance!

adamant said:
Hey Zeppelin,
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke to the people in the admissions office today. They said the waiting list is huge this year and isn't moving at all. I still hope you can get in but it is going to be really tough this year.

Good luck,
Adam

HHmm that's weird because the lady had told me there were less than 20 ppl waiting to hear from them...Maybe she meant applicants our of P.R.?? I don't know. She did tell me that the list was not moving at all, but there is still 2 months untill the start of class. That gives me at least a little hope. How did you find out by the way? Thanks a lot for the info adamant and keep me posted if you find out anything. I just got rejected from the other school I was waiting so Ponce is my last hope...

Keep in touch...

Zeppelin,
I went to the office and spoke with Gladys, she didn't say a specific number of people but she said "tremenda cantidad". So I hope the list starts moving for you, it is a horrible feeling not knowing what is going to happen. You sound like a good candidate, if you don't get accepted this time do some research and re-apply next year.

Somebody else asked about the April MCAT and they said that yes they will consider them.

Good luck all!

I hope you get in!

I graduated in 2004, finished my surgery internship with the navy and doing flight surgery with the navy (military).

I had an awesome time in Ponce. My first 2 years were hard work, but the third year I had time to go to the beach, meet the beautiful girls, go out and salsa etc etc.
I thought the education I got at Ponce prepared me well for my surgery year. But a lot depends on the student, and his/her's motivation.

If you don't get in, do research for a year. Talk to Dr. mercado, and Arvin Baez as well.

I heard good things about the other 2 schools In pr, but UPR only accepts PR residents

Guys, I really don't know what I'm going to do. I called Ponce the other day and no movement yet. I'm cosiderign Caribbean schools but I really prefer going to Ponce. I didn't apply to UCC this year. Do you think I have a good chance if I opt to wait a year and apply for next fall? (my numbers are in previous posts) Besides, what would I do? I already have a post-bac degree so...

In theory I still have a chance untill classes start in Ponce but there have been no movement, so it would be unrealistic to expect a lot this late inthe game.

Also, would you recommend to sent the letter of intent in English or Spanish? I write it in either one....was wondering which one would be best..

Thanks

I went to PSM's website and it says there the the first semester starts in August. So there is about two months untill classes start. I hope some students drop in these two months so I have a chance. I will call Dra. Mercado on Monday and try an make my case. Thanks to all of you who reply to my questions. Adamant are you in Ponce already? or maybe you are from there? any other news on how the admissions process? how many ppl do you know that will be attending Ponce next semester and are any of them waiting to hear from another school?

Zepp

Zepp,

I hate to stress you out more than you are, but orientation for the entering class starts July 19, and classes begin July 31. I hope you got that letter of intent in to Dra. Mercado. I would also look to send the letter to your interviewers as well. If all else fails (and I think that you would be on the top of the waiting list if it started moving along), APPLY EARLY this year since the application is only the AMCAS. I don't think other premeds know how much greater their chances of getting accepted into med schools become by simply applying early.

Keep the faith bro,

Cachito

i applied to PSM and they kept telling me the same thing...but finally, near july/august i gave up. i didn't get the rejection letter till august by fax because it never got mailed to me. so i hate to be like this, but i would move on to plan b. good luck to you...

Hey guys I got in around 2 weeks ago!!! I'm mad excited. Thanks for all of your comments and advices. The guys going to Ponce, I'll see you all there. Ask for Zeppelin900.

Cya!

Zepellin, I graduated from Ponce this last may and congratulations!! I have been reading your posts and its pretty good news that you got in!!

Again, congrats!!

Thank you, thanks a lot!!

Hey Zeppelin,
That's awesome news! I'm really glad to hear that you got accepted. Have you started orientation already?

You can write or call if you need anything:

[email protected]
787-249-1614

-Adam

Would anyone who attends PONCE or UCC , or who has been accepted share their stats with us in attempt to encourage/discourage us. I have heard that PONCE is extremely competitive for US students. Is that true?

Here are my #'s
(according to AMCAS)
overall GPA: 3.44
I screwed up my first semester as a freshman (although there were no F's), but retook all my classes and got all A's after I returned from my mission(funny what 2yrs in a 3rd world country will do). My transcript shows a 3.65
BCPM GPA: 3.54
AO: 3.33
MCAT: 26M --> weak!! I know

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer
-1.5 yrs working as a PCT (Patient Care Tech) --> I'm basicially a glorified CNA, the only difference is I also do Phlebotomy, so they give me a much cooler title.
- At the tender age of 19 I traveled to Bolivia for 2 yrs as a missionary (2001-2003) It was awesome by the way!!! included religious proselyting and lots of community service. Completely fluent in Spanish and I speak Aymara too (an Indian dialect form Bolivia, not gonna help in PR though)
- 2005 American Heart Association Summer Undergraduate Internship Awardee
(Cardio Research w/ pacemakers, and pacemaker protocols, it was in collaboration w/ Guidant corp. (i.e. the bigtime!) about 600hrs total --> I also co-authored a paper. (PUBLISHED)
- Lots of other community service (i.e. Homes for humanity, Peer tutoring for underclassmen/disadvantaged high school students. and more) ~100+ hrs
- Organic Chemistry Lab Instructor - 4 hrs/wk since April
- Vice President of Pre-Med club at my school.
-Shadowing MD & DO ~50+ hrs
- There's more but I won't bore you to death...

Other Info:
- I am the very first among my family, both immediate and extended (i.e granparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, the whole shoot and match) to pursue a post-secondary degree, hence I'll be the the first to grduate college and pursue a profesional degree.
- I'm a pretty nice guy too!

I'm applying early to Ponce and UCC. I called and they said they would send me a letter asking for my $ and the necesary docments with in the nest couple of weeks.

Do I have a chance?

As a 2006 PSM grad it sounds like you will get into 1 or both of the schools here. At PSM they relly like LDS students who have done missionary work in Spanish speaking areas, there are 1-2 in evey class here. You should contact these guys, they are both 4th year students here and have similar backgrounds to you. Good luck!
Adam

[email protected] (David Cooper)

adamant said:
As a 2006 PSM grad it sounds like you will get into 1 or both of the schools here. At PSM they relly like LDS students who have done missionary work in Spanish speaking areas, there are 1-2 in evey class here. You should contact these guys, they are both 4th year students here and have similar backgrounds to you. Good luck!
Adam

[email protected] (David Cooper)

Thanks adamant! Appreciate the help!!!!!

Spanish:

2. An occasional quiz

English:

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I have been looking into the Schools in Puerto Rico, and was interested in UCC and UPR-SOM.

My MCAT is an 18R (so horrible, I know), and my GPA is a 3.83, I can understand Spanish but am not a fluent speaker, though I am sure this would change a great deal if I moved for schooling to here.

My question is, do you think I have a chance to get in? My other question is how does the residencies work, and could I come back to practice in Texas? I know it is an accredited school that has its applicants apply through AMCAS which means it obviously is an American school, I just wanted to be sure.

Please and thank you.

Wow, you really brought up an old thread!

If you're going to an Accredited Puerto Rican medical school, it is considered an American school. The LCME will accredit Puerto Rico as any other US school. In regards to the application process, it will be the same as when applying to a US school. Further in regards to the MCAT, have you thought about retaking it? I realistically do not think you will get in with that low of a score.

Wow, you really brought up an old thread!

If you're going to an Accredited Puerto Rican medical school, it is considered an American school. The LCME will accredit Puerto Rico as any other US school. In regards to the application process, it will be the same as when applying to a US school. Further in regards to the MCAT, have you thought about retaking it? I realistically do not think you will get in with that low of a score.

Haha ya I know it's an old thread. And my problem with the MCAT is that I rushed into taking it a second time already, so I am afraid of taking it a third time. The second time I got a 13R and it was just poor planning. I am currently studying and trying to find out why I am so bad at this test so that I can get a high score finally.

I was recently looking at MSAR and there is one school in Ponce, Puerto Rico, that has an average acceptance of 18-27's. So you don't think I would even get into this school given that I did achieve an 18? (Not that it's good of course, I know it's really bad.)

Haha ya I know it's an old thread. And my problem with the MCAT is that I rushed into taking it a second time already, so I am afraid of taking it a third time. The second time I got a 13R and it was just poor planning. I am currently studying and trying to find out why I am so bad at this test so that I can get a high score finally.

I was recently looking at MSAR and there is one school in Ponce, Puerto Rico, that has an average acceptance of 18-27's. So you don't think I would even get into this school given that I did achieve an 18? (Not that it's good of course, I know it's really bad.)

The lower MCAT is for in-state applicants, for OOS, the average is higher. Between 24-26, I'd apply regardless.

The lower MCAT is for in-state applicants, for OOS, the average is higher. Between 24-26, I'd apply regardless.

Really? There's a difference in the average MCAT scores in the MSAR? Does that mean that the lower end of the MCAT that is listed in MSAR is for it's in-state applicants only for all schools?

And thank you, I am really thinking about applying there once I look up more information.

Wish I knew spanish... so puerto rico would accept me. lucky bilinguals