KCUMB and Rockhurst University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDdreamingMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moderators, I apologize but this is a cross-posting from the post-bacc forum. I thought maybe some KCUMB people would know the answer to my question.

Anyway, I noticed that KCUMB and Rockhurst University offer a combined DO/MBA degree. Is that the extent of the two schools' relationship? It's my understanding that there is no official linkage, but I was wondering if there is any kind of informal/unofficial relationship between Rockhurst's post-bacc program and KCUMB (i.e., Rockhurst post-baccs tend to fair well in the KCUMB admissions process).

I'm planning to apply to Rockhurst's post-bacc program and the more I learn about the osteopathic schools, practice, etc., the further KCUMB moves up my list. With a wife and kids, I'd love to not have to uproot to go to med school. Thanks.

JDdreamingMD

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, i'm actually going to attend kcumb next year and will prbably do the dual degree program. I think that a degree from kcumb will certainly give you a leg up in the admssinos process. also, if kcumb is your first choice, they are building and are currently working on an entirely new biomedical sciences wing. you might be able to do a post-bacc there also. I would call and ask to speak with a dean to be sure though. good luck!

docmd2010 said:
Hey, i'm actually going to attend kcumb next year and will prbably do the dual degree program. I think that a degree from kcumb will certainly give you a leg up in the admssinos process. also, if kcumb is your first choice, they are building and are currently working on an entirely new biomedical sciences wing. you might be able to do a post-bacc there also. I would call and ask to speak with a dean to be sure though. good luck!

I'll check into that. Thanks. Congrats BTW.

Members don't see this ad :)
JDdreamingMD said:
Moderators, I apologize but this is a cross-posting from the post-bacc forum. I thought maybe some KCUMB people would know the answer to my question.

Anyway, I noticed that KCUMB and Rockhurst University offer a combined DO/MBA degree. Is that the extent of the two schools' relationship? It's my understanding that there is no official linkage, but I was wondering if there is any kind of informal/unofficial relationship between Rockhurst's post-bacc program and KCUMB (i.e., Rockhurst post-baccs tend to fair well in the KCUMB admissions process).

I'm planning to apply to Rockhurst's post-bacc program and the more I learn about the osteopathic schools, practice, etc., the further KCUMB moves up my list. With a wife and kids, I'd love to not have to uproot to go to med school. Thanks.

JDdreamingMD

The way I understand it, that's the extent of the relationship.

MJB said:
The way I understand it, that's the extent of the relationship.

That's what I figured, but thought it was worth asking. Thanks.

Back in 1979, when I graduated from Rockhurst, many students there went on to KCUMB (or KCCOM as it was then called). I was luckily one of them. Even when my uncle (a D.O.) graduated from Rockhurst in 1955, Rockhurst had a reputation for sending many students on to "The Old Institute". And his father, a 1928 Rockhurst grad, also went on to KCCOS (Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery). Rockhurst professors used to teach the medical ethics course at KCCOM in my day there. I realize of course that was when most of you were toddlers.) The "Old Institute" started off as KCCOS (Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery), became KCCOM (Kansas City College of Osteopathic Medicine), then became UHSCOM, and, most recently KCUMB. Just a bit of history for those who might be going to the old Kansas City Shrine of Osteopathy.."right across from the Vickers Station", as some of my classmates would kiddingly refer to our school.