<<<Need the Brutal Truth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstein81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...I know Rad-Onc is freakishly competitive and since I can't walk on water, I wanted to get some brutal truth (for better or worse). As an applicant, I have performed average during the basic science years and received great evaluations during the 3rd year (even receiving an award or two). Have a couple of non-published research experiences in the field of Oncology, including one experience at Sloan Kettering and a USMLE Step 1 victim of 190. What chances (hypothetically) would I have, in matching Rad Onc, if I scored 250 on Step 2, performed well in Rad Onc 4th yr elective, had strong letters of Rec from a well-known Rad-oncologist and did an away elective in Rad Onc? If poor or slim to none....What steps could I take to make myself a matching candidate given my poor step 1 performance and lack of Rad Onc exposure?....thanks in advance MS

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks incredibly informative and humbling...but definitely informative. Thanks again GFunk

Members don't see this ad :)
i would not give up hope if i were you. a friend of mine also had a subpar step 1 (low 200's) and matched. if i were you, i would do a rad onc rotation or two to establish some connections and to find out if the field is a good fit. getting published is also important as i've learned. taking the step 2 early and acing it will also help. a subpar step 1 is not an insurmountable obstacle i don't think.

eidolon said:
i would not give up hope if i were you. a friend of mine also had a subpar step 1 (low 200's) and matched. if i were you, i would do a rad onc rotation or two to establish some connections and to find out if the field is a good fit. getting published is also important as i've learned. taking the step 2 early and acing it will also help. a subpar step 1 is not an insurmountable obstacle i don't think.

You're right...looking at the previous posted link...was a little discouraging to say the least. I will definitely strive for all I have. Thank you all for your honest input, as well as your encouragements!!

Looks like you and I are in a similar boat. I also recieved a lot of good advice & thought I would direct you to my thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=257659

Candidates like you or I may not match on the first go-round..but I'm hopeful that after following the appropriate steps we can secure a position.. It would appear that the absolutely necessary formula is: GREAT LETTERS + RESEARCH + CONNECTIONS. Boards scores may be used as a screen for many programs, but I've learned that there are programs that do not use step I as a screen.. So there's still hope! Good luck.

ive seen people with "low" usmle scores interviewed. but you'll need other things. Perhaps take a year off and do publications (assuming you dont get int the first time) Thank you to others for providing links. Best,
S