Any slightly-balding, Amish premeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willow18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of all these "any of x type" threads. We are all humans and all go through the same #$%# to try and become doctors -no matter if you're Russian, Black, White, Tan, Chocolate, Asian, whateveh. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh dang, I'm a hairpiece wearing, 1/4 Amish Male.. :D just missed it. Oh well - NEW THREAD!
;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like those threads either. I was thinking of starting a "any Caucasian pre-meds out there?" thread.

willow18 said:
I'm getting tired of all these "any of x type" threads. We are all humans and all go through the same #$%# to try and become doctors -no matter if you're Russian, Black, White, Tan, Chocolate, Asian, whateveh. :rolleyes:
Actually, we all don't go through the same process. That's like saying everyone goes through the same life experiences.

any stupid/dumb/low-IQ pre-meds out there? I'm trying to start a club.

how about older, grumpy, sullen ex-goth premeds?

oh, and i clicked on the thread initially because i thought i could pick-up a non-hairy pacifist, but i guess no such luck!

willow18 said:

Not exactly true you know, African As have a way higher incidence of sickle cell, Latinos for diabetes

LOL

wouldn't the amish be considered URM?

willow18 said:

As strange as it may be for you to believe, not everyone is exactly like you. People who share similar backgrounds and/or experiences are, in certain situations, more likely to (be able to) help people of similar backgrounds and/or experiences, or offer advice. If you have braces/contacts and want advice on how to wear them, are you going to ask people who don't wear braces/contacts, or people who do?

Saying "we all go through the same thing, homogenize!", is a bit of an insult to people who don't go through the exact same things you do, since you'd obviously have no idea what such people would actually go through. It's easy to cry 'assimilate!' when you're in the majority. It's a bit harder to emphathize with others, though.

Rafa said:
As strange as it may be for you to believe, not everyone is exactly like you. People who share similar backgrounds and/or experiences are, in certain situations, more likely to (be able to) help people of similar backgrounds and/or experiences, or offer advice. If you have braces/contacts and want advice on how to wear them, are you going to ask people who don't wear braces/contacts, or people who do?

Saying we all go through the same thing, homogenize!, is a bit of an insult to people who don't go through the exact same things you do, since you'd obviously have no idea what such people would actually go through. It's easy to cry 'assimilate!' when you're in the majority. It's a bit harder to emphathize with others, though.

Well said, Rafa.
'Tis human nature to search for comfort around others w/ similar interests or backgrounds. There is nothing wrong with this.
If you find offense at it you probably are equating this "grouping" with the exclusion of other people. This is not necessarily true. People simply want to make associations/connections/comparisons among people similar to them.
Get a life.

willow18 said:

Didn't you get the memo? The only race you aren't allowed to be proud of is Caucasian. Thanks Hitler...

Members don't see this ad :)
Overlap12 said:
Didn't you get the memo? The only race you aren't allowed to be proud of is Caucasian. Thanks Hitler...

I certainly wouldn't mind it if you started a "caucasian" group (I believed they are called "Sororities" at some colleges), but you probably don't need it because you are a majority. What angers me is that it is easy to make stupid comments when you are in the majority, and assume that other racial groups are not discriminated anymore, and that they are only exaggerating their problems, or dismissing other cultures and telling them to "assimilate."

Rafa said:

Saying "we all go through the same thing, homogenize!", is a bit of an insult to people who don't go through the exact same things you do, since you'd obviously have no idea what such people would actually go through. It's easy to cry 'assimilate!' when you're in the majority. It's a bit harder to emphathize with others, though.

What?

Now you're the one making assumptions about the OP's ethnicity. :thumbdown:

While people with similar backgrounds may provide one another with better advice, this is seldom/never the purpose of the "Are there any __ premeds out there?" threads. You might be right, but your point is moot.

Doesn't being PC all the time bore you guys to death or is it just easier that way? :rolleyes:

And another thing...it's very normal for someone of one race being mistaken for another (such as Japanese vs. Chinese, Mexican vs. Puerto Rican, etc.) but every person born east of Poland gets lumped in as white.

baylormed said:
I certainly wouldn't mind it if you started a "caucasian" group (I believed they are called "Sororities" at some colleges), but you probably don't need it because you are a majority. What angers me is that it is easy to make stupid comments when you are in the majority, and assume that other racial groups are not discriminated anymore, and that they are only exaggerating their problems, or dismissing other cultures and telling them to "assimilate."

I've got an idea, lets start a new SDN forum for URM's and you guys can all be equal over there. :laugh: Just kidding, of course, my point is that "seperate is not equal" works both ways, double standards are double-standards, no matter who is in the "majority" or what they "need".

Well said...the power to include is the power to exclude.

Zoom-Zoom said:
What?

Now you're the one making assumptions about the OP's ethnicity.

LOL. You're assuming my post had to do with ethnicity. Read it again.

People differ by more than merely ethnicities.

I specifically used the examples of braces and contacts *because* two people sharing bs or cs *do* share similar backgrounds. They share similar experiences. It's hard to know what it's like to wear contacts if, you know, you don't wear them.

While people with similar backgrounds may provide one another with better advice, this is seldom/never the purpose of the "Are there any __ premeds out there?" threads. You might be right, but your point is moot.

And how would you know? Do you personally inspect every one of these threads, and complete a checklist of post-content within said threads? Because if you don't, this argument (read: presumption) doesn't hold water.

You seem threatened by the presence of threads you feel you don't belong to. The way I see it, you've got three options in such cases:

1.) Join/read the thread, and actually *learn* something about the issue/people being discussed.

2.) Ignore it.

3.) Claim the threads are exclusionary and meaningless, and try to convince every one of your beliefs.

Why do you insist on door number three? Two is so much easier. One takes just a little more effort than three, but is infinitely more rewarding...

I dunno.

Edit: this isn't meant as a personal attack on you Zoom, btw. Just late night thought expression, focused on this thread.

Overlap12 said:

I get the idea you're posting on this thread simply to be combative, but just in case that isn't the case...

There are many "Any (insert caucasian heritage) pre-meds here?" threads on SDN. In fact, there's a Russian one currently on the front page. Do you feel excluded from those too? Because if you approached such threads with an open mind, you might realize that it doesn't matter *what* you're a minority in (whether in glasses-wearing, hockey-skating, Spanish-speaking, or of Russian ancestry), being able to communicate with other people who've shared some of your specific backgrounds is an integral part of humanity. Those of you who seem determined to turn this (as so many other) thread(s) into one about "white people against the world" seem to go to a lot of trouble for the sake of *not* understanding. I dunno.

Overlap12 said:
And another thing...it's very normal for someone of one race being mistaken for another (such as Japanese vs. Chinese, Mexican vs. Puerto Rican, etc.) but every person born east of Poland gets lumped in as white.

Depends on how your mind is set. I know people from many backgrounds/countries that I never assume anything, especially lumping as white or Latino. Ex./ Latin countries were conquered by Spain, causing a wide variety of people (where you can assume someone is Caucasian but they are 100% Mexican). Don't assume anything!

To the OP: People enjoy identifying with others that were brought up similarly.

Also, this kind of thread happens every other week. Someone new joins SDN, noticies a "Anybody out ther look/act just like me? Threads (usually ethnic backround-related)?" and feels left out or offended, then starts up a new thread like this. If you would take the time to look inside these threads you would definitely be welcome, and maybe you might learn something about this groups personal experiences (in the premed process). Its not like the people in these threads just stay in them and never wander out to mingle with other SDNers...

These individual experiences come into play with cultural competency which is becoming huge in medical school...you need to understand your future patients!

I'm just trying to get a rise out of everyone...I think that there are issues unique to certain races and commiserating about them is extremely helpful in such a daunting process as applying to med school. Good luck to ya'll!!! (No I'm not southern, lol).

Overlap12 said:
I'm just trying to get a rise out of everyone...I think that there are issues unique to certain races and commiserating about them is extremely helpful in such a daunting process as applying to med school. Good luck to ya'll!!! (No I'm not southern, lol).

If you are not southern, then you are forever forbidden to use "y'all".

It just isn't right.

;) -Proud Texan, for y'all who didn't know.

ashabee4 said:
I don't like those threads either. I was thinking of starting a "any Caucasian pre-meds out there?" thread.

I see you want be a good doctor who is sensitive to all types of people.

Rafa said:
LOL. You're assuming my post had to do with ethnicity. Read it again.

People differ by more than merely ethnicities.

I specifically used the examples of braces and contacts *because* two people sharing bs or cs *do* share similar backgrounds. They share similar experiences. It's hard to know what it's like to wear contacts if, you know, you don't wear them.

Dude I'm sorry but your just not making sense. Again, your point about the braces/contacts example is correct, but irrelevant. I'll make this easy...the OP said this:

"I'm getting tired of all these "any of x type" threads. We are all humans and all go through the same #$%# to try and become doctors -no matter if you're Russian, Black, White, Tan, Chocolate, Asian, whateveh."

and you said this:

"It's easy to cry 'assimilate!' when you're in the majority. It's a bit harder to emphathize with others, though"

Clearly, you made some assumptions about the OP's race.

Rafa said:
And how would you know? Do you personally inspect every one of these threads, and complete a checklist of post-content within said threads? Because if you don't, this argument (read: presumption) doesn't hold water.

You seem threatened by the presence of threads you feel you don't belong to. The way I see it, you've got three options in such cases:

1.) Join/read the thread, and actually *learn* something about the issue/people being discussed.

2.) Ignore it.

3.) Claim the threads are exclusionary and meaningless, and try to convince every one of your beliefs.

Why do you insist on door number three? Two is so much easier. One takes just a little more effort than three, but is infinitely more rewarding...

See now you're making assumptions about my race. For the record, I have read several of these threads, posted in a couple, and I havn't noticed any significant use of them for advice between fellow skin-color-sharers. If you can find one that was started for this purpose and prove me wrong, go ahead, or you could just heed your own advice and ignore me :rolleyes:

Edit: this isn't meant as a personal attack on you Zoom, btw. Just late night thought expression, focused on this thread.
Thanks, same here..I enjoy a late night debate every now and again. here here

willow18 said:

wait let me guess...are you white??? :laugh:

If you are tired of them, then you can simply just not read those threads (something I should have done with this one!)

willow18 said:
:laugh: :laugh: thanks for the laugh of the day with your title :laugh:

but i agree with your point!

Rafa said:

but NO ONE's background is exactly the same. We all start life differently, go through different experiences; some will help in the process and some will hinder. There's no way to put everyone on a level playing field. Whereas I agree there's ways to understand and empathize with someone that has similar characterisitcs and backgrounds, it's not ever going to be excatly the same. We can all continue to make such threads about our individual situation but there isn't enough room on these boards to start threads on everything.

and even caucasians have individual problems associated with their struggle to ge tinto med school: they're the typical med student and it works against them unless thye have something to distinguish themseves, something other groups may not have to work so hard at to attain. So Caucasians staert your own thread, only to have it closed b/c people will start objecting to discussions of AA. :eek:

Depakote said:
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Premed Society will be having it's meeting this afternoon in the regular sewer.

Pizza will, of course, be provided.

Speaking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, anyone ever feel sad that these guys are the last of their kind? I mean they are all guys and they have no genitals.

RayhanS1282 said:
Speaking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, anyone ever feel sad that these guys are the last of their kind? I mean they are all guys and they have no genitals.

Well i thought turtles have those concealed cloacae genitals, that look like little openings, the point is mutt because all that radiation from the ooze would have rendered them sterile. My guess is that Splinter had a side action with April all along because the Turtles weren't packin'. Donatello and Leonardo always seemed a little too "focused" on crime fighting (wink wink)

KAI1927 said:
Well i thought turtles have those concealed cloacae genitals, that look like little openings, the point is mutt because all that radiation from the ooze would have rendered them sterile. My guess is that Splinter had a side action with April all along because the Turtles weren't packin'. Donatello and Leonardo always seemed a little too "focused" on crime fighting (wink wink)

Well, whaddaya know...you are right about the turtle genital thing. I saw this pic and had to post it, notice how the tail can be misinterpreted.
41041tr.gif

A giant rat mating with a human....ugggh.

Psycho Doctor said:
but NO ONE's background is exactly the same. We all start life differently, go through different experiences; some will help in the process and some will hinder. There's no way to put everyone on a level playing field. Whereas I agree there's ways to understand and empathize with someone that has similar characterisitcs and backgrounds, it's not ever going to be excatly the same. We can all continue to make such threads about our individual situation but there isn't enough room on these boards to start threads on everything.

and even caucasians have individual problems associated with their struggle to ge tinto med school: they're the typical med student and it works against them unless thye have something to distinguish themseves, something other groups may not have to work so hard at to attain. So Caucasians staert your own thread, only to have it closed b/c people will start objecting to discussions of AA. :eek:

Okay, so get rid of the "Any pre-med artists?" threads, and the "hockey players?" threads and the "braces?" thread. Those are all the same thing -- people with similar experiences connecting with each other because they can relate. Should I feel left out or offended because I'm not an artist or a hockey player, and I don't wear braces?

To pretend that race is not a factor in our interpersonal relationships is just silly. Psycho, I'm not saying you're doing this, but it seems many people would like to. While I'm sure most of us have friends of different races, really truly examine who your closest friends are and I'll bet that most of you will come up with people of your same race. This isn't a bad thing. We like to have things in common with the people around us. That's human nature. And since everybody obviously does have a different experience applying to med school, it makes sense to seek out others who might have similar experiences due to certain factors, like hobbies, lifestyles, or race.

There have been Caucasian threads started. And yes, they do often degenerate. But people have tried to make the African American threads degenerate, too; the people posting in those threads just have more desire to keep them going, apparently. So go ahead and start a Caucasian thread (although you won't see me posting, since I object to the term -- try a White thread, maybe). And if you care enough, stick with it and keep it going.

baylormed said:
If you are not southern, then you are forever forbidden to use "y'all".

It just isn't right.

-Proud Texan, for y'all who didn't know.

hehe, my husband says "y'all" all the time now after having been married to me for over 2 years. And he was born and raised in NY :p (Of course I've also adopted all sorts of strange Northern speech patterns -- who knew that I would be saying "sneakers" and such? I still refuse to say "put up the wash" to mean starting the washing machine, though! :laugh: )

RayhanS1282 said:
A giant rat mating with a human....ugggh.

Well, here's the thing, splinter used to be a dude (according to the cartoon, in the movie he was a rat from the beginnin) and was mutated into a rat, so one would assume he kept his human genitals. The turtles however were originally turtles and developed human features. If we agree that the turtles kept their native genital arrangement, then we can also say that splinter would have retained his genitals. Now granted he was no brad pitt, but if april was the kind of girl who hangs around sewer beings, Splinter was charming and rather worldy and didn't have alot of competition. An added bonus would have been his aforementioned sterility, so no "complications"