Success!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NebelDO

future surgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone..1st thanks for the well wishes. the scramble is over for me.

I accepted an offer at Vanderbilt for a surgery prelim. I didnt even have to fax anything to vandy. A friend of mine rotated there and emailed Dr. Tarpley yesterday and told him about me and how competitive I was and that I went unmatched. Dr. Tarpley called me at 12:01 and offered a spot like that. He was awesome, did not put any pressure on me at all and gave me plenty of time to look at all my other offers that were coming in. My wife and I talked it over and we are moving to Nashville!!

we are very exicted, vandy will be a place that will launch me into whereever I want to go for next year.

now for a drink...

Members don't see this ad.

Good job, Chris! I'm sure you'll do great.....Mayo's too stuffy anyway, and I'd much rather live in Tennessee than Minnesota.

Congrats Chris, really happy that things have worked out for you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great news! Have fun at Vandy :)

Wow Chris, that's terrific! I'm so glad for you - Vandy's an awesome program, that will take you wherever you want to go!

I'm glad that they recognized what an amazing candidate you are. Congratulations, and best wishes.

NebelDO said:

I accepted an offer at Vanderbilt for a surgery prelim. I didnt even have to fax anything to vandy. A friend of mine rotated there and emailed Dr. Tarpley yesterday and told him about me and how competitive I was and that I went unmatched. Dr. Tarpley called me at 12:01 and offered a spot like that. He was awesome, did not put any pressure on me at all and gave me plenty of time to look at all my other offers that were coming in. My wife and I talked it over and we are moving to Nashville!!

we are very exicted, vandy will be a place that will launch me into whereever I want to go for next year.

now for a drink...

Well done! Tarpley is one of the nicest surgeons I've ever met, and has a great name out there in surgical education. He'll get you where you need to go. Enjoy that drink and have another!

What's so big about scrambling into a prelim spot? A categorical spot would be impressive. But prelim? Is the prelim spot you scrambled into guaranteed to switch you over into categorical at the end of the year or something?

Misterioso said:
What's so big about scrambling into a prelim spot? A categorical spot would be impressive. But prelim?

Dude - give him a break!
Vandy is vandy, and like others have said, he'll be able to get to where he wants to go after this year - whether it's into categorical at vandy itself once someone drops out (or they realize how awesome he is and make a spot for him :) ), or into another categorical once the chair/pd/others make calls for him.

Misterioso said:
What's so big about scrambling into a prelim spot? A categorical spot would be impressive. But prelim? Is the prelim spot you scrambled into guaranteed to switch you over into categorical at the end of the year or something?

He's a guy who had excellent stats, spent serious cash to go on lots of interviews, and ended up not matching. We are congratulating him that things ended up working out for him. Why post in a forum when you don't know what others are talking about?

There's a thread in the anesthesia forum that people actually WANT you to post your opinion, and you haven't yet....what's with that?

Congrats, NebelDO. Glad things worked out. Bottom's up.

To SLUser11, I'm certain that NebelDO appreciates your thanks, but it shouldn't come with a "Mayo is too stuffy, anyways." Unless you're a resident at Mayo Clinic, I think that kind of crap needs to be left out.

Referring to a school poorly just to make someone else feel better isn't a good reason to do it.

NebelDO said:

now for a drink...

Congrats, Nebel. Vandy's a great place to start out. Just curious: is the AOA scramble for categorical GS spots completed, or is that something you just didn't want to consider?

NebelDO said:

now for a drink...

Hey Chris,
Congratulations on the great spot. You are going to a great program and I KNOW that you will do well. Enjoy that well-earned drink.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Misterioso said:

What a jerk!

Congrats to you and your family on the scramble. I know it was a stressful time for you. Be well!

Misterioso said:
Wow, your schmuckiness is truly limitless.

Anyway... Congrats Chris! Prelim or not, this will get you the connections you need.

First off, Congrats Chris. I can't even imagine how stressful the last 24 hours must've been. Glad that it all worked out. Don't listen to what anyone else thinks if you're happy its all that matters.

Misterioso - that was REALLY uncalled for. Just try to imagine yourself in Chris' shoes for a second before making comments like that. All I'm saying is try to be a bit more considerate.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I was wondering what the big deal is since prelim spots are there for the taking. Lots even don't fill during the scramble and stay unfilled.

Misterioso said:
I didn't mean it in a bad way. I was wondering what the big deal is since prelim spots are there for the taking. Lots even don't fill during the scramble and stay unfilled.

hey guys thanks again for all the encouragement..im definitely glad it is over. ITs been a weird day to say the least.. i got 3 more offers after I commited to vandy..some of the programs are really crammed today.

for the comment about Mayo, I know that many on this forum do not consider Mayo to be one of the best surgery places out there, but I felt good there. everyone at mayo was very nice and it didnt feel stuffy at all. I can see how it can come across, especially on interview day up there.Ill always be greatfull for my experience up there and may consider it again next year or for fellowship.It probably cost me my match at Penn State because they were number 2 on my list and i was ranked very high.(Dr. Conter was shocked)by the time the computer went down to my number 2, more people put PS #1 and there was nothing left.

PLinko, never considered it man..but congrats to you

to Misterioso, its ok man. your right, a prelim is what it is, but its at vandy. Im basically going to have a great setup for next year. Less than 24 hours ago i find out that my career could be over before it begins and my whole world came crashing down around me and now im back in the game..

so thanks for mucking up the positive vibe...i bet your bedside manner is awesome :thumbdown:

NebelDO said:
so thanks for mucking up the positive vibe...i bet your bedside manner is awesome :thumbdown:

I wasn't "mucking up the positive vibe", it was just a question that people read into too much. Your attitude may be one reason you didn't match categorical.

Misterioso said:
I wasn't "mucking up the positive vibe", it was just a question that people read into too much. Your attitude may be one reason you didn't match categorical.

Excuse Me?!?!?!?! HIS attitude is the reason? :eek:
Methinks Chris has been waaay too kind to you in even responding to your rude, idiotic and way out of place statements.

Since we tend to read too much into your statements, how about you just go troll on some other forums (or better yet stay all the way out of student doctor)?

NebelDO said:
hey guys thanks again for all the encouragement..im definitely glad it is over. ITs been a weird day to say the least.. i got 3 more offers after I commited to vandy..some of the programs are really crammed today.

for the comment about Mayo, I know that many on this forum do not consider Mayo to be one of the best surgery places out there, but I felt good there. everyone at mayo was very nice and it didnt feel stuffy at all. I can see how it can come across, especially on interview day up there.Ill always be greatfull for my experience up there and may consider it again next year or for fellowship.It probably cost me my match at Penn State because they were number 2 on my list and i was ranked very high.(Dr. Conter was shocked)by the time the computer went down to my number 2, more people put PS #1 and there was nothing left.

PLinko, never considered it man..but congrats to you

to Misterioso, its ok man. your right, a prelim is what it is, but its at vandy. Im basically going to have a great setup for next year. Less than 24 hours ago i find out that my career could be over before it begins and my whole world came crashing down around me and now im back in the game..

so you had a chance to talk to dr. contor about how the match played out?

avgjoe said:
Methinks Chris has been waaay too kind to you in even responding to your rude, idiotic and way out of place statements.

There was nothing rude, idiotic or out of place about my statements. I asked

It is not my problem if some peeps read into it too much.

Misterioso said:

are you always a prick?

oldman said:

yes

oldman said:

yeah for a few mins.. they still dont know who they matched with, after he found out from me that I did not match with them he could probably work backwards from where he ranked me and go up his list. He did not say what exact number i was on the list which was fine by me. They definitely wanted people who they interviewed but didnt match with for the prelims over guys that they didnt know which makes sense.

I learned this today, you cant make a decision about a prelim spot that you think might open up into a cat spot later on. there are no gurantees anywhere and I had my wife and son to think about plus being from the south and close to family made it even easier.

Msteridude..im sure your bedside manner is fine..just giving you S#$%. im letting it go

jayman said:
To SLUser11, I'm certain that NebelDO appreciates your thanks, but it shouldn't come with a "Mayo is too stuffy, anyways." Unless you're a resident at Mayo Clinic, I think that kind of crap needs to be left out.

Referring to a school poorly just to make someone else feel better isn't a good reason to do it.

I'm only going to briefly respond since this is off subject and there's been 10+ posts since.....I interviewed at Mayo and I thought it was stuffy. I forgot we aren't allowed to express opinions about residency programs....oh wait....that's pretty much this forum has consisted of for the last 3 months. :idea:

I know we're all wound pretty tight right now, but the rectal tone in this thread is SERIOUSLY increased. :scared:

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath.....relax their buttholes....stop masturbating to Mayo Clinic........and just be happy for a guy that had a rough day.....and prepare our livers for thursday-friday-saturday-sunday, etc. :thumbup:

Congratulations!! You made that look easy! Here's hoping that I'll get to work with you in a few months. :D

Tater said:
Congratulations!! You made that look easy! Here's hoping that I'll get to work with you in a few months. :D

thanks man...looking forward

Tater said:

thanks man...looking forward to it

hey sorry so late on the response, but CONGRATS! that rocks.

i'm so glad things worked out for you at vandy! that's a terrific program and a terrific hospital. and i'm sure someone as qualified as you will do very well there.

all the best.

gg

NebelDO said:
thanks (wo)man...looking forward to it

or...whoa!-man ;)

NebelDO said:
It probably cost me my match at Penn State because they were number 2 on my list and i was ranked very high.(Dr. Conter was shocked)by the time the computer went down to my number 2, more people put PS #1 and there was nothing left.

First, congrats on your scramble outcome. You seem pleased.

Not sure if this will make you feel better or worse, but your rank list order didn't make you scramble. Penn State filled with people higher on their list than you. You could have ranked them first or last - wouldn't have mattered. See the match algorithim

That's great man! Good luck to you!

I would say something about the negative comments about preliminary spots but doing so gives them some sort of underserved existence...

tater..sorry :) you ranked vandy number 1?

pilot.. i understand that i wasnt high enough on their list. It doesnt matter now

I have to try to not think about it anymore which is hard

NebelDO said:
It probably cost me my match at Penn State because they were number 2 on my list and i was ranked very high.(Dr. Conter was shocked)by the time the computer went down to my number 2, more people put PS #1 and there was nothing left.

Congrats to your find! What's below is not to diminish your accomplishments or anything.

I just want to make sure that people understand that this is not the way the match algorithm works. Even if others put program A #1 and you put program B #2 you will still bump the others who put program A #1 if you are ranked higher on the program's list than they are and can't match to your #1.

I guess this is more for people who are trying to match in the future who may be tempted to rank a program they think they are more competitive at over a reach program - there's no need to do so.

NebelDO said:
tater..sorry :) you ranked vandy number 1?

pilot.. i understand that i wasnt high enough on their list. It doesnt matter now

I have to try to not think about it anymore which is hard

Heh, its my dream, but I'm not sure it will be my reality. Either way, I can give you some pointers on rounding on the pediatric surgery service (pre-rounding starts around midnight, ack!) :D

McGillGrad said:
Just ignore the troll. All he wants is attention.

Hey Canada, I think that is a little harsh. Sluser has a point, that is what these boards are for. He was just being a nice guy and congratulating the vandy guy and you pricks crucify him for it. I have seen Sluser on these boards for some time and he contributes regularly to the discussions, rather than reading them solely to see if there is something in it for him.
Take your prickishness back to McGill.

Misterioso said:

Hi there,
The good thing about getting a prelim spot at a place like Vanderbilt is that Chris is going to get excellent training and a leg up no matter where he ends up. The other good thing is that he is starting his surgical career off with a great start academically and technically. The third thing is that a preliminary slot in a top program is twenty thousand times better than a categorical slot in a bad program (yes, there are plenty out there). For Chris, who is an outstanding applicant, his slot at Vandy is a win-WIN. :thumbup:

njbmd :)

neutropenic said:
Congrats to your find! What's below is not to diminish your accomplishments or anything.

I just want to make sure that people understand that this is not the way the match algorithm works. Even if others put program A #1 and you put program B #2 you will still bump the others who put program A #1 if you are ranked higher on the program's list than they are and can't match to your #1.

I guess this is more for people who are trying to match in the future who may be tempted to rank a program they think they are more competitive at over a reach program - there's no need to do so.

I completely agree that is how it ideally should work - but not how i've seen it work after this interview process. I've run into one school that openly states that they will only rank those who tell them they are number one in the top bunch (pm me for the name if you're interested). I'm sure others are like that - like it or not, telling a shcool they are number one has meaning at a few places.

Hey Nebel...I haven't posted as much as some others here...but am offering up my congratulations too! Sounds like you turned a negative experience into a positive one in record time!!! Vandy will be great training and since the surgery attrition rate is ~20% nationwide, then a PGY2 spot will inevitably open up and coming from Vandy then I'm sure you'll get your pick of the litter!

Misterioso said:

NEBELDO said:
Msteridude..im sure your bedside manner is fine..just giving you S#$%. im letting it go

To Misterioso...sounds like you're a little bit too "touchy" to be inconsiderate of the feelings of others in your own posts. Treat as you want to be treated dude!

avgjoe said:
I completely agree that is how it ideally should work - but not how i've seen it work after this interview process. I've run into one school that openly states that they will only rank those who tell them they are number one in the top bunch (pm me for the name if you're interested). I'm sure others are like that - like it or not, telling a shcool they are number one has meaning at a few places.

You are confusing two separate and important issues

1) How a program orders its rank list. Program X may well give preference to applicants it believes will rank Program X highly.

2) How the match computer deals with programs and applicants rank lists. In this case - and this is a VERY IMPORTANT point which many people apparently don't understand - the order of your rank list does not bias the process. E.g. you rank 16 programs. #1-15 hate you and don't even rank you. #16 ranks you #1 for it's one and only slot. You match at program #16 ahead of 1000 people who ranked it #1.

Major point: when you make your list, rank it in order of your true preferences.

Pilot Doc said:
You are confusing two separate and important issues

1) How a program orders its rank list. Program X may well give preference to applicants it believes will rank Program X highly.

2) How the match computer deals with programs and applicants rank lists. In this case - and this is a VERY IMPORTANT point which many people apparently don't understand - the order of your rank list does not bias the process. E.g. you rank 16 programs. #1-15 hate you and don't even rank you. #16 ranks you #1 for it's one and only slot. You match at program #16 ahead of 1000 people who ranked it #1.

Major point: when you make your list, rank it in order of your true preferences.

I agree with your two points - however, assuming that the person is not lying about what they are putting number one or two (say program x), and assuming that program y then ranks you lower than they would have if you had told them they were number one, then if enough people in program y's list rank them higher than you did and are ranked higher in their list than you were (again because you didn't tell them you were ranking them one), you will not match there and the algorithm will jump to program z (your third choice)'s list and try to match you up there..

Instead, if you had lied and told program y that they were going to be number one and they ranked you very high because of that, then what you are saying is true - it's all based on your list and your rankings.

Hope this makes sense..

avgjoe said:
I agree with your two points - however, assuming that the person is not lying about what they are putting number one or two (say program x), and assuming that program y then ranks you lower than they would have if you had told them they were number one, then if enough people in program y's list rank them higher than you did and are ranked higher in their list than you were (again because you didn't tell them you were ranking them one), you will not match there and the algorithm will jump to program z (your third choice)'s list and try to match you up there..

Instead, if you had lied and told program y that they were going to be number one and they ranked you very high because of that, then what you are saying is true - it's all based on your list and your rankings.

Hope this makes sense..

You make a good point. If you believe your expressions of interest will change programs ranking of you, it makes things much more complex, and introduces opportunities to game the system (or just make your head hurt.)

As long as you understand that the computer doesn't care, everything's good.

PS to anyone thinking about spreading the love- PD's get a master list showing where everyone matched. You WILL make a reputation for yourself if you tell 5 programs they're your #1 choice.

Pilot Doc said:
You make a good point. If you believe your expressions of interest will change programs ranking of you, it makes things much more complex, and introduces opportunities to game the system (or just make your head hurt.)

As long as you understand that the computer doesn't care, everything's good.

PS to anyone thinking about spreading the love- PD's get a master list showing where everyone matched. You WILL make a reputation for yourself if you tell 5 programs they're your #1 choice.

and it's even worse if you have a chair make a phone call for you and you rank it low.