Unfilled spots: PM&R 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finally M3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger; I found this list from this site: :laugh:

http://www.imgforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=664

Good luck to those trying to scramble! :thumbup:

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
This list was created on 03/14/2006 11:55:01
This list is updated every hour as programs fill their positions.

California Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

VA Greater LA Hlth Sys-CA
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1039340A0 3400521007 8 7 1
Quynh Pham
P: 310-268-3342 x 41797
F: 310-268-4935
[email protected]

Georgia Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Emory Univ SOM-GA
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1113340A0* 3401221011 6 5 1
Joel Moorhead
P: 404-712-5511
F: 404-712-5895
[email protected]

Illinois Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1170340C0 3401631016 1 0 1
Monica Steiner
P: 708-216-4994
F: 708-216-9348
[email protected]

Kansas Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Kansas SOM-Kansas City
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1208340A0 3401921018 2 1 1
George Varghese
P: 913-588-6777
F: 913-588-6765
[email protected]

Louisiana Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1224340C0 3402121020 6 3 3
Stephen Kishner
P: 985-873-1800
F: 985-873-1766
[email protected]

Maryland Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Sinai Hosp-Baltimore-MD
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1249340A0* 3402322021 4 2 2
Melanie Brown
P: 410-601-9720
F: 410-601-6308
[email protected]

Massachusetts Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

New England Med Ctr-MA
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1263340A0 3402421023 3 2 1
Parminder Phull
[email protected]

Michigan Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Michigan St Univ-East Lansing
Phys Medicine & Rehab 2436340A0* 3402521100 1 0 1
Michael Andary
[email protected]

Missouri Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1353340A0* 3402811032 3 2 1
Oksana Volshteyn
P: 314-454-7757
F: 314-454-5300
[email protected]

New York Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

Albany Med Ctr Hosp-NY
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1414340C0* 3403521035 2 0 2
Andrew Dubin
[email protected]

Kingsbrook Jewish Med-NY
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1476340A0* 3403522041 4 3 1
Kevin Weiner
P: 718-604-5341
F: 718-363-6621
[email protected]

Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1963340A0 3403521042 4 1 3
Raj Tolat
P: 516-365-9549
[email protected]

SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
Phys Medicine & Rehab 1426340A0 3403521048 6 5 1
Paul Pipia
P: 718-270-2047
[email protected]

Texas Program
Code ACGME
Code Quota Filled
in Match Currently
Unfilled

U Texas SW Med Sch-Dallas
Phys Medicine & Rehab 2835340A0 3404821065 8 7 1
Samuel Bierner
F: 214-648-9207
[email protected]

14 record(s) found.

Members don't see this ad.

First off....HEELLLLL YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself...

Looks like the UCLA / Greater LA VA program has an unfilled spot (7/8)...considering they were my TOP CHOICE...this list just might be an early present from the nice people at imgforum.com (I don't know where it came from but I certainly won't complain)...of course I won't know for sure until Thursday.

I'm REALLY REALLY REALLLLLY surprised they have a spot open. I know Dr. Pham (program director) had mentioned that in the past 2 years they had filled their 8 positions with their top 15 choices (not so incredible considering the strength of their teaching/opportunity to experience PM&R in a variety of settings/ and location location location!). My only explanation would be that they didn't rank enough people. I know for a fact they were HIGHLY selective with inviting people for interviews. In fact, I had spoken to the office assisstant and she had said they had only extended about 50 interviews this year after receiving several hundred applications. Only 50 interviews must have led to even a smaller rank list...thus leading to an open spot for a lucky scrambler. I think previous years they had interviewd about 70-80 people.

Anyhow...I would love to provide any info for anyone out there who is scrambling for the spot (although I'm sure the spot filled as soon as the list was released). I spent a significant amount of time rotating through the department and loved it enough to rank it above RIC/UWash/Kessler/Baylor/Colorado (just to name a few!). Of course location played a big role in my decision (West LA is PRIMO as far as locale is concerned...nestled between Beverly Hills and Santa Monica...ohhhh I can feel the sunshine now). If all that wasn't enough, they even house one of the few PM&R based Pain Management Fellowships in the entire nation.

Anyhow, good luck to all (myself included as I have to wait til Thursday to get official word)....so don't congratulate me...I'll post results on Thursday. Anyone with any questions...I'd love to be of any assisstance....

Best of Luck to all!!!!!! :luck:

What is up with Sinai Baltimore?
I thought it was the "better" Baltimore program.
And I think they also did not fill last year, eh?
Met people on the trail with great interviews who weren't invited to Sinai.

I guess Emory, UCLA, and UTSW are the surprises, no?
And no love for New York in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised that Emory didn't fill. They have a strong program I thought. I ended up ranking them top 3. The only negative thing I could think of was maybe the location...Atlanta and they are currently looking for a new chair. I also heard the current PD will be leaving.

Fooman said:
I am surprised that Emory didn't fill. They have a strong program I thought. I ended up ranking them top 3. The only negative thing I could think of was maybe the location...Atlanta and they are currently looking for a new chair. I also heard the current PD will be leaving.

I did a rotation in Atlanta and I thought the location was pretty nice, I mean weather is pretty nice, sunny most of the year. Traffic is horrendous though, places like "Spaghetti Junction" are not to be toyed with. Not much exposure to Grady Memorial which is a huge 1200 bed Fulton-DeKalb county hospital, only level 1 trauma center in northern GA and Morehouse and Emory SOMs main teaching hospital. Shepherd Center is really nice and cutting edge. And Egleston is great for peds.

Atlanta's a bit inland (Savannah is 4 hours drive) for my taste not that it stopped me from ranking inland cities like Sacramento and Seattle. Druid Hills is straight out of "Driving Miss Daisy." It's a pretty booming hip place to be, some of the best restaurants I've ever been to are in Buckhead. And the residents were able to buy new 2200 sq ft houses just a few minutes drive away which you couldn't do in Los Angeles, Chicago, DC, or Massapequa.

CasaElGato said:

I was surprised by the open spots at UCLA and UTSW....people were passing up SoCal?

The majority of the unmatched spots were the small NYC programs, huh? From what I've heard, the best attributes they had was their proximity to the city....

Not sure if this was more than an isolated experience, but I had heard that UCLA had some difficulties with keeping track of interview invitations which resulted in missed interview invitations.

I too am quite surprised at UCLA, Emory, UTSW, Sinai, and even Tufts. I'm guessing that UCLA didn't try to sign a DO outside the match because that spot would've have shown up as an available spot in the first place then?

I'm curious as to how the IMG forums are able to keep track of spots, but I guess that is just up to speculation.

THE Faculty in THESE PROGRAMS ARE A BUNCH OF HYPROCITES...

They call students for INTERVIEWS and then they decide not to Match 20-40% of the APPLICANTS..

Hahaha SUNY BROOKLYN IS so PATHETIC...
THEY are in PROBATION and they DARE TO TAKE THE LUXURY OF NOT RANKING ALL THEIR APPLICANTS... :laugh:

PROGRAMS ONLY CARE ABOUT THEIR INTERESTS. THIS MEDICAL PROFESSION IS EVIL, and THE PD's in these programs are backstabbers.... :smuggrin:

melancholy said:
Not sure if this was more than an isolated experience, but I had heard that UCLA had some difficulties with keeping track of interview invitations which resulted in missed interview invitations.

I too am quite surprised at UCLA, Emory, UTSW, Sinai, and even Tufts. I'm guessing that UCLA didn't try to sign a DO outside the match because that spot would've have shown up as an available spot in the first place then?

I'm curious as to how the IMG forums are able to keep track of spots, but I guess that is just up to speculation.

melancholy said:

Hey Melancholy....

From what I understand, you are absolutely right. UCLA had some issues with downloading ERAS applications early in the interview season...leading to about 50 interview invitations as opposed to their normal 70-80. Since I assume they were confident that they would fill their spots easily as they had in the past, I'm sure they kept their rank list relatively short to make sure they got who they wanted. Anyhow, obviously the list was just short of what it should have been in length as they fell one applicant short. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake twice. Congratulations to the lucky scrambler who secured the spot! :thumbup:

In about 16 1/2 ours we will all FINALLY know our fate. Join hands with me and let's all pray...

I was alot more confident/relaxed before, but boy do things change as we actually walk through the Valley of Death...The more I think about it, the more I feel my head will in fact explode just before I open that envelope... :scared:

Good Luck again to EVERYONE in SDN land...may you all secure your #1! :luck:

Rehability said:
Hey Melancholy....

From what I understand, you are absolutely right. UCLA had some issues with downloading ERAS applications early in the interview season...leading to about 50 interview invitations as opposed to their normal 70-80. Since I assume they were confident that they would fill their spots easily as they had in the past, I'm sure they kept their rank list relatively short to make sure they got who they wanted. Anyhow, obviously the list was just short of what it should have been in length as they fell one applicant short. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake twice. Congratulations to the lucky scrambler who secured the spot! :thumbup:

In about 16 1/2 ours we will all FINALLY know our fate. Join hands with me and let's all pray...

I was alot more confident/relaxed before, but boy do things change as we actually walk through the Valley of Death...The more I think about it, the more I feel my head will in fact explode just before I open that envelope... :scared:

Good Luck again to EVERYONE in SDN land...may you all secure your #1! :luck:

Yeah, that'll be a lucky person to get that last spot at UCLA for all the sunshine SoCal offers.

8 hrs and 12 minutes left. Hey Rehability - I could not state things better myself. Here's hoping for #1 for everyone!

Just curious, what didnt fill after the scramble?

melancholy said:
Yeah, that'll be a lucky person to get that last spot at UCLA for all the sunshine SoCal offers.

8 hrs and 12 minutes left. Hey Rehability - I could not state things better myself. Here's hoping for #1 for everyone!

njdevil said:
Just curious, what didnt fill after the scramble?
LI jewish
Kingsbrook
UCLA- waiting til fall or 2007 to fill
Emory- also waiting for 2007 or fall

The fact of the matter is that Melanie Brown (Sinai Baltimore) has no ability to sell the program or its attributes. Not to mention the fact that no one wants to live in baltimore. The program will probably continue to go unfilled year after year so long as the PD doesnt care about "impressing" the applicants.

CasaElGato said:

Dr. Ice said:
The fact of the matter is that Melanie Brown (Sinai Baltimore) has no ability to sell the program or its attributes. Not to mention the fact that no one wants to live in baltimore. The program will probably continue to go unfilled year after year so long as the PD doesnt care about "impressing" the applicants.

This sounds unfortunate as I thought that Sinai of Baltimore had taken some of the better rotations back when Hopkins and Sinai had split.

melancholy said:
This sounds unfortunate as I thought that Sinai of Baltimore had taken some of the better rotations back when Hopkins and Sinai had split.

I heard it was like a divorce where Sinai got the house, the kids, and the vacation house in Bethany Beach and Hopkins got the 1987 Chevy Nova.

CasaElGato said:
I heard it was like a divorce where Sinai got the house, the kids, and the vacation house in Bethany Beach and Hopkins got the 1987 Chevy Nova.
Yeah Hopkins is still rebuilding but looks like they have a decent foundation although they still have to go to NRH for their TBI rotation. I think they will be moving up these next few years with Dr. Krabak putting his energy into the program and Dr. DeLateur being able to spend more of her time teaching instead of administrating. Dr. Palmer seems like a very motivated chairperson which isn't a bad thing either.

I did a rotation at Emory. I have nothing but great things to say. I interviewed there and definitely ranked the program highly. For personal resaons I ranked a few programs higher.

Summary: I am SHOCKED Emory did not fill! I think that is one great spot that is open and they are confidently holding it open. I may be wrong.

Anyhow, good luck to all!

Dr. Pham likes to keep one spot open for a surgical or internal medicine resident that drops out during the intern year.