Any George Mason premeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there were any George Mason premeds on here as I'm considering transferring to there (although I am still considering a couple of other schools too). :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

i did some post-bacc work there (no formal program, i just took the classes i needed plus a few i wanted)

That's cool.....where are you at now?

Members don't see this ad :)
chuck norris was a george mason premed. until he ate george mason.
-mota

DropkickMurphy said:
That's cool.....where are you at now?

right now i'm in my bedroom, at my desk, NOT waiting for the mail to come because it's sunday :)

i'm no longer in school at all, just waiting on this application cycle to bring my a little joy and happiness.

i really enjoyed my time at GMU. i think that the quality of the instruction was at least equal to, if not better than, what i got at my top-25 private undergrad university. the professors were really nice and very open to helping you out and answering questions (i only took a couple non-science classes, though, so i can't speak for those departments). feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions, since i'm averse to revealing too much detail about myself to all and sundry :)

not from GMU...but i hope they beat UNC in basketball! :) it's the year of the underdog, so i've heard.

somewhere2010 said:
not from GMU...but i hope they beat UNC in basketball! :) it's the year of the underdog, so i've heard.
George Mason is going DOWN, I never heard of the school until they tried to play ball with my boys. UNC4EVER

we shall see in approx 3 minutes :)

Received a B.S. in Bio and Minored in Psych in 2001. I personally wouldn't go there. Last I had heard, they don't even offer a biology degree anymore. Very little support from the pre-med advisors in my opinion. I give them no credit for getting me into med school.

i'm pretty sure they still have a bio program - or else a lot of my classmates are going to be awfully disappointed come graduation. true about the pre-med advisors, they just meet with you and write a committee letter. i was told "oh, i wouldn't be surprised if you get at least one interview." try 9, buddy :)
but if you're willing to do the med school stuff without professional guidance, i repeat - good classes.

ps - and a sweet-16 basketball team.

UNC-or-BUST said:
George Mason is going DOWN, I never heard of the school until they tried to play ball with my boys. UNC4EVER

Geroge Mason is going DOWN???? You mean UP!!!!!!

I doubled checked and they do still offer a biology degree. I didn't just make that statement as an angry rant but I do still keep in touch with some of the bio professors who did express concern about the department. I agree with oneaat that if you are self-motivated and willing to do the leg work, you should be fine. I received a good education for the money but would probably have picked another school if I had to do it again.

fozzy40

oneaat said:
i'm pretty sure they still have a bio program - or else a lot of my classmates are going to be awfully disappointed come graduation. true about the pre-med advisors, they just meet with you and write a committee letter. i was told "oh, i wouldn't be surprised if you get at least one interview." try 9, buddy :)
but if you're willing to do the med school stuff without professional guidance, i repeat - good classes.

ps - and a sweet-16 basketball team.

I'll be post-bacc at GMU in the fall (technically as a bio major transfer). I researched the DC metro postbacc pretty thoroughly and decided I didn't want to spend 20k on better advice (After all, what is SDN for : ). If you can't get yourself into med related experiences in DC metro on your own, you're in deep doo-doo, and the rest (MCAT prep, admissions process, etc) I though I could handle....we'll see! I did talk to one of the premed advisors on the phone, and he did sound sort of....useless -like, if you asked the right question, he'd answer it, but he didn't offer information at all. He also said he had a grad student helping him with premed advising, perhaps that's the person who *really* does the work, or perhaps he's just a disgruntled underpaid TA who is annoyed when you ask for help : )

UMD's "science in the evening" program, FYI, seems to have stellar support, and if you attend that program, it's at in-state rates, regardless of where you live, so if you wanted to take advantage of the advice, you could always take one or two courses over there, just to get the help -that's what I'm thinking of doing if I don't get interviews in 2007.