Drum Roll Time - UPenn Decisions This Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the moment, I have three schools tied for first, and Penn is one of them.

Members don't see this ad.

ChocolateKiss said:
At the moment, I have three schools tied for first, and Penn is one of them.

What are the other two lucky schools?

Kazazzle12 said:
Because I've pretty much devoted my week to this thread...

Is Penn you guys' first choice? What other schools are you considering?

Also, I've heard that a "top of Tier 1" waitlist is pretty much a guaranteed acceptance if you write a letter of intent... can anyone verify this?

I'm going to a meeting now... And the first thing I'll do when I get back? Check SDN, of course :p

Penn's my clear first choice. The only other school that came nearly as close to impressing me was Stanford. A friend of a friend was on the "top of Tier 1" waitlist last year and she apparently called the office to express intent (but I'm not sure exactly what she said), and they basically told her to come to the second look weekend, and she got off the waitlist a few days later.

Members don't see this ad :)
dillanger said:
I go to Stanford undergrad and am very good friends with students at the med school here who are involved with the admissions process. They say that expressing a strong desire to go here would be very beneficial to the application.

They also seem absolutely convinced that Stanford is the best med school to go to for the overall experience. I have to say I was pretty impressed too by it, and am only not considering it because I need to be back on the east coast for family reasons. Its hard to beat 4 years of complete pass/fail. The students seem reallly laid back and not all that stressed out.

I agree that the students at Stanford seemed really laid back, unstressed and happy...definitely moreso than at Penn, which is one thing that I found better about Stanford. I still like Penn's overall program better, and they have a lot of opportunities that fit my specific interests. Plus, I'd prefer to stay on the east coast as well (but nothing is binding me to it). Standardized tests are also my weakness in basically every application I come across (SATs for college, MCAT for med school). They are never extremely terrible, just below the par of the other stuff in my application. One student at Stanford told me the 4 year P/F grading system makes the board scores a little more important than if you were coming from somewhere else. Anyway--since this is the Penn thread, to turn this post into being about Penn--I will say that I would still likely choose Penn over Stanford unless Stanford offered me a major difference in financial aid (which actually, IS something I hear they are good at...we shall see!).

This thread is so tense.

To lighten things up a little: I heard Penn has the hottest Ugrad guys of all the top schools. Does this carry over into the med school? hehe, that might influence my decision :laugh:

Penn's in the top three for me, at least at the moment. Need to review some things, but I really like the 1.5 preclinical and the tons of "extracurricular" activities like the bioethics track and what not.

I'm pretty sure Penn is my first choice as well. (*fingers crossed*) I'm almost positive I'd go if I got in...

I was talking about med schools today with a girl in my French class who's from Philly, and she made fun of me for calling it UPenn. She said that if I end up there, I'd better start calling it Penn :p

It's officially Wednesday (EST) now!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Kazazzle12 said:
I'm pretty sure Penn is my first choice as well. (*fingers crossed*) I'm almost positive I'd go if I got in...

I was talking about med schools today with a girl in my French class who's from Philly, and she made fun of me for calling it UPenn. She said that if I end up there, I'd better start calling it Penn :p

It's officially Wednesday (EST) now!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

10 more hours most likely! almost there!

FutureDoc06 said:
10 more hours most likely! almost there!

We are pretty sure tomorrow's the day, right? Because if it's not.... :scared:

I've been lurking on this thread and just wanted to wish you guys a big GOOD LUCK!!! I hope they post them tomorrow morning, and that you all get in :luck:

Risa said:
I've been lurking on this thread and just wanted to wish you guys a big GOOD LUCK!!! I hope they post them tomorrow morning, and that you all get in :luck:

Thanks Risa. And when you get your Penn acceptance, you better drop it right away to let one of us poor souls off of the waitlist... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
ChocolateKiss said:
Thanks Risa. And when you get your Penn acceptance, you better drop it right away to let one of us poor souls off of the waitlist... ;)

Even if I do wind up with an acceptance to drop, you won't personally need it, ChocolateKiss; you're gettin' in right off the bat! ;) :luck:

ChocolateKiss said:
Hey ChocolateKiss, I'm not going to lie: I gave up sweets for Lent so your avatar is making me pretty much drool on the keyboard. If my keyboard shorts out and I can't check the Penn website compulsively tomorrow, I'm totally blaming you.

Good luck everyone! Penn Penn Penn! I did have a great visit there - the students were scarily happy.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

For what it's worth, I've heard from a somewhat decent source that decisions will go out today (wednesday). not very helpful, i know. good luck guys

I came across this quote just now and it kinda gave me goosebumps, just thought I'd share.

When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: Either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly.

~ Edward Teller

Somehow it seemed fitting... Here's to having faith and luck and everything else :)

ChocolateKiss said:
This thread is so tense.

To lighten things up a little: I heard Penn has the hottest Ugrad guys of all the top schools. Does this carry over into the med school? hehe, that might influence my decision :laugh:

Only if I get in. Otherwise, some other school will have the hottest med school guy.

ZenAlchemy said:
Only if I get in. Otherwise, some other school will have the hottest med school guy.

Well in that case, here's to us both getting into Penn :love: :love: !

I must be the only West Coaster applying to U Penn. You all abandonned me when it got late on the East Coast... :( ...Now I'm stuck here obsessing alone.

ChocolateKiss said:
I must be the only West Coaster applying to U Penn. You all abandonned me when it got late on the East Coast... :( ...Now I'm stuck here obsessing alone.

Hey ChocolateKiss. I'm on the east coast and obsessing as well. You're definitely not alone. ;)

Whew, it's good to know I'm not being obsessive compulsive all alone. I was feeling lonely there for a minute. Penn is one of my top choices at the moment. I'm not really sure where my absolute top choice is though. I'll have to go to revisit weekends to decide if I get in to multiple tops.

ZenAlchemy said:
I know someone who got into Penn last year, and he was SERIOUSLY hot!

ChocolateKiss said:
Whew, it's good to know I'm not being obsessive compulsive all alone. I was feeling lonely there for a minute. Penn is one of my top choices at the moment. I'm not really sure where my absolute top choice is though. I'll have to go to revisit weekends to decide if I get in to multiple tops.

hmm, second time ChocolateKiss has prevaricated about his other top choices. Scared of the adcoms?:p

ChocolateKiss said:

word to the revisit weekends... but its kindof a scary thought though that i'm going to be spending probably 3-4 of my last weekends in college visiting schools on the east coast

macadamianut said:
hmm, second time ChocolateKiss has prevaricated about his other top choices. Scared of the adcoms?:p

Yes, I'm a little paranoid with all these adcommers posting on SDN. :D

P.S. I'm a girl

The status page has been updated. Waitlisted for me. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats to everyone finding out today! Please come to the second look- it's really helpful to meet everyone!

Also, if you're on the waitlist don't despair- they take a good number off of it as well, as do all the top schools if you wait long enough ;)

Hope to see you all here!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ok now that was totally worth the wait!

It's up!!!! Oh my god!!!

Never have I been so happy that I have to be at work by 8. Quick everyone check so I can find out who my future classmates (85% probability) are!!!

IN! omg I am so excited!! Good luck to everyone still, uh, sleeping. I hope you wake up to great news!

Waitlist tiers- If you can dig up the thread from last year there is a good description of the tiers.

There is some super high tier, one group that usually gets invited to preview, and then there is tier one, two, and three following. But, I believe that tier one is a little more stratified so that they can tell you your chances more clearly.

I know that the kids who came to preview last year still on the waitlist who wanted to come to Penn for sure got in. I assume there was good movement, but I don't really know.

thatslife said:
Hey all, the decisions are posted online:

www.med.upenn.edu/apps/my/application

good luck to everyone!

Also, I was placed on the tier 1 waitlist, what does that mean in terms of movement?

So was I :-( What are the chances of getting off this waitlist? I'm really sad now.

DNM503 said:
So was I :-( What are the chances of getting off this waitlist? I'm really sad now.

I really dont know, I am trying to sift through last years threads and see what happened...

Another waitlist, tier-1 :(

sweetdoc

Waitlist, tier 1. Do they not reject anyone?

I'm most likely dropping, if anyone cares. I'm happy with my other options, but I really was interested in Penn's program. Oh well.

Waitlist tier 1 also

Here's the tier system, as long as it hasn't changed in a few years:

Top of tier 1 - very good chance of getting in, will be invited to second look
Tier 1 - Like a regular waitlist anywhere else. LOI will help if you want to send.
Tier 2 - Penn doesn't give out post-interview rejections, but this is the closest to. This is pretty far down the waitlist, so your chances are pretty slim.

Every year people wonder if they're in the top of tier 1 group. If you get invited to second look (in past years the info would be on the website), you are in the top group. Usually it says something to that effect on the official letters as well.

No email but I checked the website, IN. :) :) For those on the waitlist, don't worry. I talked to many students during my interview who got in off the waitlist. Keep your heads up.

For the people who got accepted, did you see any information on the website about the merit scholarships they were talking about?

I'm in!........and it says that I have been the recipient of a merit financial aid award! Anybody else get this message?

I will be on heavy need-based financial aid wherever I go. Is this merit aid above and beyond a calculated need based aid, or is it essentially something that will take the place of what would have eventually been a need based scholarship?

I would really appreciate if anyone from this year or past years has any info about these merit based awards. If this means my Penn financial aid will be well above other schools than I finally know where I will be next fall. And as many of you understand, it would mean so much to me to have that closure.

Tier 1 Waitlist here as well... :( But nothing about being invited for the Preview.

I know I'm supposed to stay positive, I'm trying! Penn is my first choice, so I think I'm going to stick it out on the waitlist...

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Hey, I think merit awards are full rides, congrats!

I'm in too. I got the merit thing too. Goodluck to those on waitlist.

Hey all, Im waitlisted but have access to Penn Preview...So what does this mean. Is this normal, is it good. PLEASE tell me its a good sign (but I would rather have honesty because I am so nervous).

Also, I know an MS1 from reg waitlist who got in, so send in the LOIs...GOOD LUCK!!

Waitlist tier 1 here. I am almost for sure giving up my spot. Good luck to everyone waiting! I'll be sitting on the UCSF list waiting with you guys.

IN!!!!! Wow this has been a long process!!!!

Also a philly native so I'm especially excited to be returning home for the second look weekend. Looks like there's plenty of scheduled partying, the best kind of partying there is.

poopoohead said:
Hey all, Im waitlisted but have access to Penn Preview...So what does this mean. Is this normal, is it good. PLEASE tell me its a good sign (but I would rather have honesty because I am so nervous).

Also, I know an MS1 from reg waitlist who got in, so send in the LOIs...GOOD LUCK!!

Based on past years, I'd say that's good news! What was the wording of your waitlist decision? It doesn't necessarily have to say "top of tier 1," but I think the wording is different from the other waitlisted applicants. I'd just call the office and ask if you're supposed to go to the preview weekend.