Preferred Cardiology textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do current residents and cardiology fellows use as a standard reference text? Do programs tend to standardize on one source, or is it up to each fellow? What would you guys recommend for current med students interested in cardiology? Is it worth it to skim through a cardiology text before a cardiology rotation, or is the cards section in Harrisons/Cecils good enough?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Adcadet said:

there's this book edited by Lilly and written by HMS students/residents/faculty called 'Pathophysiology of Heart Disease' I believe. an easy read, pertinent info for rotations and a good brush up on basic science. that's what I read, + Dubin's EKG book even though he's a child molester.

p diddy

Members don't see this ad :)
ah, I forgot about the Lilly book. It's a great read for students, for sure.

I guess I was wondering more about what people use in residency and beyond.

Adcadet said:
ah, I forgot about the Lilly book. It's a great read for students, for sure.

I guess I was wondering more about what people use in residency and beyond.

in residency i still used lilly for the basics. NEJM and other journal review articles were good for more involved explanations (ie SVT ICDs) as was UptoDate. on top of that I'd read the current cardiology trials in NEJM and JAMA.

p diddy

I am a student who just did a cards rotation and I asked this same thing to the residents. Obviously braunwald is teh gold standard text but not like your goin to read that. But harrisons, most of the cards sections are written by braunwald and the resdients said if you know harrisons cards sections you will shine on any cards rotation whether your a student or resident. Its about a 100 page read in harrisons font which is probably equiv to a 200 page book-doesnt take long but has a lot of detail, workup treatment.