Info sought: Dental Licensing in CA for Indian Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bovinda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A member of my extended family is migrating from India (Punjab) to California. He has a degree in dentistry from a school there and practiced for several years. Does anyone know what exact hoops he has to jump through to be able to practice in California?

From what I can gather with my Googling skillz, he would need to:

(1) Take the NBDE Parts I and II
(2) Take the RT Exam given by the Dental Board of California
(3) Take the Dental Licensure Examination

All this I got from this page at the Dental Board of CA's website. Is that pretty much it? That doesn't sound too bad. So he doesn't have to go to school anywhere then, is that right? (I'm assuming his school was not accredited--are any Indian dentistry schools accredited here?)

Thanks for any help people, I know nothing about the dental licensing process.

Members don't see this ad.

bovinda said:
A member of my extended family is migrating from India (Punjab) to California. He has a degree in dentistry from a school there and practiced for several years. Does anyone know what exact hoops he has to jump through to be able to practice in California?

From what I can gather with my Googling skillz, he would need to:

(1) Take the NBDE Parts I and II
(2) Take the RT Exam given by the Dental Board of California
(3) Take the Dental Licensure Examination

All this I got from this page at the Dental Board of CA's website. Is that pretty much it? That doesn't sound too bad. So he doesn't have to go to school anywhere then, is that right? (I'm assuming his school was not accredited--are any Indian dentistry schools accredited here?)

Thanks for any help people, I know nothing about the dental licensing process.

Hey,

Earlier the State board of CA was administering the RT exam for international dentists ,not anymore unless ur friend had completed his part 1 and 2 NBDE bfore OCT 2003.

Im afraid he will need to go thro Dental school if he wants to practise in CA
but there r certain other states which may allow post graduates practise their chosen clinical subjects.

ckvk said:
Hey,

Earlier the State board of CA was administering the RT exam for international dentists ,not anymore unless ur friend had completed his part 1 and 2 NBDE bfore OCT 2003.

Im afraid he will need to go thro Dental school if he wants to practise in CA
but there r certain other states which may allow post graduates practise their chosen clinical subjects.

Thanks ckvk. So it sounds like he needs to do some school no matter what then. I guess he'll aim for one of those International Dentistry programs.

Any idea how competitive the international dentistry programs in CA are?

Members don't see this ad :)
there are 32000 dentists in ca. It is better to study where he is going to work. Ca may not be place to make good money anymore. Too many dentists chasing patients here.
bovinda said:
Thanks ckvk. So it sounds like he needs to do some school no matter what then. I guess he'll aim for one of those International Dentistry programs.

jack33 said:
there are 32000 dentists in ca. It is better to study where he is going to work. Ca may not be place to make good money anymore. Too many dentists chasing patients here.

Thanks for advice jack33. CA statistics is an eye-opener. I guess I will head for rural Virginia....Country Roads Take Me Home..... :)

rahmed

bovinda said:

I think he first needs to take his exams and then depending on how much he scores in Part 1 he will be able to decide where to apply. Generally, admissions have become tougher than a few years ago but a score above 90 is considered competetive especially on the west coast. But all California schools have some kind of clinical exam and or written exam of their own. It has been seen of late that schools like to see the overall application package of applicants rather than merely scores. Other criteria include GPA, Toefl scores, personal statement , experience etc.
Hope this helps,
treasure

treasure said:
I think he first needs to take his exams and then depending on how much he scores in Part 1 he will be able to decide where to apply. Generally, admissions have become tougher than a few years ago but a score above 90 is considered competetive especially on the west coast. But all California schools have some kind of clinical exam and or written exam of their own. It has been seen of late that schools like to see the overall application package of applicants rather than merely scores. Other criteria include GPA, Toefl scores, personal statement , experience etc.
Hope this helps,
treasure

Hey treasure, that does help. I will let him know about the bigger picture. Thanks for the feedback,
Jeff