Any White Male Premeds Out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mephisto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it looks like we're in the minority, I thought we'd get one of our own going... :laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Mephisto said:
Since it looks like we're in the minority, I thought we'd get one of our own going... :laugh: ;)

ORMs need loving too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle class and white.

:laugh:

that's funny!...lack of identification... :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't care what people say...growing up in the suburbs and going to a prep school is extremely difficult. That blue blazer I had to have dry-cleaned every month took up a lot of my savings. So much so, that I couldn't afford hotels on my trip to Europe and I actually had to (GASP)...Backpack...

I think white males are ARM (Appropriately Represented Minorities). It's we Asians who are overrepresented.

Pewl said:
I think white males are ARM (Appropriately Represented Minorities). It's we Asians who are overrepresented.

playa you better go to a hospital near UCLA like Cedar Sinai and tell me what you see!
A sea of of white with a few spots here and there

They rep every generation in modern medicine

Famous White Male Physician Icons:

Sir William Osler
William Henry Welch
William Stewart Halstead (The Father of Surgery)
Howard Kelly

The above four were the "Four Doctors" in Sargent's painting depicting the founders of Johns Hopkins University.

William Thomas Green Morton: Demonstrated the use of ether as the first form of anesthesia at the etherdome at Mass General. He might have been a dentist though.

Wow, lots of williams...lol

Anyways, rock on white males!

Do I sense a notion of insecurity?
What is it that you all lack?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are gonna make a lame thread like this and then but smileys at the end and pass it off as clever? So annoying.

Indryd said:
How many people are gonna make a lame thread like this and then but smileys at the end and pass it off as clever? So annoying.
E009675L.JPG

what's the point of this thread?

:eek:

This thread has been done every other week since June 3rd, 1997.

indo said:
This thread has been done every other week since June 3rd, 1997.

aaahhahahaha I was totally going to say that... :thumbup:

I'm half a white male and half an indian...

I have come to be known as "the whindian" by most of my friends

WhiteRussian said:
Y'all don't know what it's like, being male, middle class and white.

on a side note, Salad Fingers is rather creepy.

Salad Fingers said:
I like it when the red water flows

rup47 said:
I'm half a white male and half an indian...

I have come to be known as "the whindian" by most of my friends

So lets add it up:

.5 white + .5 indian = 1 person

.5 male = .5 male :eek:

riceman04 said:
playa you better go to a hospital near UCLA like Cedar Sinai and tell me what you see!
A sea of of white with a few spots here and there

They rep every generation in modern medicine
Gee, here's an idea, maybe you should look at the actual racial statistics (which are readily available) rather than using that old, ******ed line "well I know this one place where the generalization isn't true, therefore the generalization isn't true."

Your thinking: "I know this guy who is a politician and isn't wealthy, therefore the generalization that politicians are wealthy is false." That's like me saying I know this guy going to medical school who's a ***** (you), therefore the generalization that physicians are smarter than average is false.

I wish I were a white male, so I can add myself to this exclusive club. :*(

I prefer to think of myself as one quarter Filipino, one quarter Mexican, one quarter Scottish, and one quarter hodgepodge of Cherokee and other things, including French. URM my ass, more like ambiguous mutt. You know how some people have eyes that seem to change color in certain lighting? Imagine that's your skin, now. Did you know you can get ridiculous moneys if you're 1/16 or greater native american, rup47?

white for life
-mota

Although I am technically a brown female, I was raised by two white males. My dads raised me in a predominately white neighborhood and I went to white schools. I play chess and tennis, and I act white. Also, I wear pants and have facial hair. So, what do you think: Will adcoms be upset if I label myself a white male and then show up at interviews sportin breasts and a tan? I really do feel like a white male in my heart.

p.s. How can I work the child-of-gay-couple thing into my ps?

With a background like that, you're way more underrepresented than any other group: Transexual, brown, AND the child of a gay couple.

Here's how I would word your PS:

My childhood was a testiment of will. Ever since my conception, I was unwanted. My crack addicted, prostitute mother gave me up for adoption upon my first sight of the world. At that time, I realized that medicine was the right path for me.

(insert paragraph about research)

(insert paragraph about volunteering)

My adopted dads showed me the joy of living. Other kids verbally and physically abused me for my dads' lifestyle, so I had to be tough. I became so tough that I decided to change into a white male, just like a reverse Michael J (black male -> white female, brown female -> white male). That, I found, was the missing block in my life. I still face critics everyday, but my loving dads gave me the strength to live on. I want to become a physician so that I would be able to relay this fighting spirit to my patients.

How can you all be using a the degrading term "white." Unless your name is Casper your skin isnt anywhere near white, it is high time we call ourselves the more appropriate and respectable term: European American.

dz88 said:
what's the point of this thread?

:eek:

White male here! For the record, there is no point of this thread, just like there is no point in the majority of the threads posted in this forum. If you are annoyed by the thread just move on and ignore it. I've been a member of SDN for well over a year now and I believe I've seen similar threads to this for every sex and race except white males, so get over it. It's all in good fun!

newguy357 said:
Gee, here's an idea, maybe you should look at the actual racial statistics (which are readily available) rather than using that old, ******ed line "well I know this one place where the generalization isn't true, therefore the generalization isn't true."

Your thinking: "I know this guy who is a politician and isn't wealthy, therefore the generalization that politicians are wealthy is false." That's like me saying I know this guy going to medical school who's a ***** (you), therefore the generalization that physicians are smarter than average is false.

Hey newdeusch357 is back!
Well since you are so quick to attempt to belittle someone on this forum how about I enlighten you with some RECENT STATISTICS that should shut your word hole. Being that I have been around the medical field for quite some time and have visited hospitals with my father and sister (who by the way live in different parts of the country) I felt like I had seen enough to make such a statement. Well, I guess I should stop typing now and just present the statistics since I am...well...a *****.

Total Physicians By Race/Ethnicity- 2004
e-mail story | print story
(total physicians = 884,974)

Race/Ethnicity Number Percentage
White 421,659 47.8
Black 20,653 2.3
Hispanic 27,935 3.2
Asian 73,152 8.3
American Native/Alaska Native 504 .06
Other 20,011 2.3
Unknown 321,060 36

Note: At year-end 2004, the AMA had race/ethnicity data for over three fifths of all physicians in the United States.

Source: Physician Characteristics and Distribution in the US, 2006 Edition. American Medical Association.

how about I present you with an opportunity to view these statistics in their original form on the website from which I pulled them:
here is the website dummy: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/12930.html

have fun!!!

clc8503 said:
I've been a member of SDN for well over a year now and I believe I've seen similar threads to this for every sex and race except white males...

You must not be paying attention. White male premed threads come up like every other week. Ehh, mostly harmless.

clc8503 said:
White male here! For the record, there is no point of this thread, just like there is no point in the majority of the threads posted in this forum. If you are annoyed by the thread just move on and ignore it. I've been a member of SDN for well over a year now and I believe I've seen similar threads to this for every sex and race except white males, so get over it. It's all in good fun!

I was having fun with it until newdeusch357 showed up

riceman04 said:
I was having fun with it until newdeusch357 showed up
It's really easy to piss you off. You'll make a great physician with that levelheadedness....

Over at Stewart University School of Medicine there are only 25 percent white males, so we would be very happy to have more classmates that are white males. Feel free to apply, as they are still accepting students for this semester through the end of next week in southern California. You can download the admissions application at stewartmed.org, sorry if this seems like spam. Not intended to be, just a notice to all the white males on the forum who genuinely want an M.D. degree.