Can MD students apply to DO residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this. It seems like some DO students can apply to MD residency programs. Is that accurate and if it is, is the reverse also true?

Members don't see this ad.

vtucci said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this. It seems like some DO students can apply to MD residency programs. Is that accurate and if it is, is the reverse also true?

That is correct - DO students can apply to MD residencies but MD students cannot apply to DO residencies. I think that is outrageous and unfair, but nobody asked me.

If it is any consolation, the DO residencies in Emergency Medicine are of varying quality, and while some are supposedly very good, others are very bad. Allopathic, or MD Emegency Medicine residencies, are all pretty good training sites.

vtucci said:

No, as they are not qualified :)
DO's must complete all of the requirments of MD's then more. Hince the difference.

The techniques involved in DO were never meant to start a new branch of medicine. It was intended to enhance the MD program. But since MD's would not adopt these. A seperate program was started, YEARS Ago.

As for applying to 2 matches. If the DO was in a military path, they could actually do 3 matches.

Military, Do, MD.
Now that sounds fair, right. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep... fair :)... or not.. but im not gonna get into all that..

EM Junkie said:
That is correct - DO students can apply to MD residencies but MD students cannot apply to DO residencies. I think that is outrageous and unfair, but nobody asked me.

If it is any consolation, the DO residencies in Emergency Medicine are of varying quality, and while some are supposedly very good, others are very very bad. Allopathic, or MD Emegency Medicine residencies, are all pretty good training sites.
Does anyone know which D.O. em programs to stay away from?

EM Junkie said:

If it is any consolation, the DO residencies in Emergency Medicine are of varying quality, and while some are supposedly very good, others are very very bad. Allopathic, or MD Emegency Medicine residencies, are all pretty good training sites.

I agree with you EMJunkie - I think it is ridiculous that MDs cannot apply to AOA residencies, yet DO students complain when they are "discriminated" against when applying to ACGME residencies because they are DOs.

And the comment made by Y2KPSD that "they are not qualified" is a crock of ****.

I think all residency positions should be opened up for application by everyone. The AOA is afraid their residencies would be shut down by a joint match because they cannot compete with the ACGME positions - that is probably true. However, if the AOA residencies were held to the same standards as the ACGME programs (RRC evals, volume, etc), maybe they would get better and there would be less fear by the AOA that all their graduates are leaving to become trained by ACGME programs.

Open it all up - that's my vote. Maybe I'm a traitor, since I'll be a DO in 3 weeks... that's just what I think.

jd

allendo said:
Does anyone know which D.O. em programs to stay away from?

As a general rule, the 3 programs that are dually accredited and the one that have both programs are pretty good - these are:
  • Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, MI
  • Newark Beth Israel in Newark, NJ
  • Albert Einstein in Philadelphia, PA
The one with AOA and ACGME concurrent programs is St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem, PA.

These are pretty safe bets that they will not close, and they are generally regarded as very strong programs. Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown/Bethlehem, PA is also usually pretty well regarded, but I've heard they work their residents to death. I don't know for sure, though.

Otherwise, I can't really answer which ones you should avoid - if you're interested in learning more about the programs, email them, as most do not have websites or information in places like EMRAmatch.org - they just don't seem that interested in advertising what they have to offer. That tells you something right there, doesn't it?

Usual disclaimers apply.

jd

EM Junkie said:

Interesting that you know so much about DO EM programs. I do not know even what you are presuming to know about DO programs...only rumors and secondhand knowledge here.

I also doubt that any respectable MD would care to apply to a DO EM program. I think they should be allowed to, but it would make no difference. It would perhaps make a difference in the super competitive specialties where even going to a DO program would be worth it to some MD's, like derm.

The AOA's argument though that MD's are not qualified to be in a DO program because they are not trained as a DO no longer holds water. Rarely have I ever heard of a DO program in any specialty that requires or encourages their residents to use their "osteopathic" knowledge or skills. It is now to the point of embarrasment in fact how little difference there is between DO's and MD's. Its just a matter of time before individual DO schools see the lure of bigger research potential and dollar signs and become accredited through the LCME. Even TCOM where I go to school is bringing on MD faculty as fast as DO faculty. 100 years from now, my DO degree will be a collector's item!!

corpsmanUP said:
Interesting that you know so much about DO EM programs. I do not know even what you are presuming to know about DO programs...only rumors and secondhand knowledge here.

I also doubt that any respectable MD would care to apply to a DO EM program. I think they should be allowed to, but it would make no difference. It would perhaps make a difference in the super competitive specialties where even going to a DO program would be worth it to some MD's, like derm.

The AOA's argument though that MD's are not qualified to be in a DO program because they are not trained as a DO no longer holds water. Rarely have I ever heard of a DO program in any specialty that requires or encourages their residents to use their "osteopathic" knowledge or skills. It is now to the point of embarrasment in fact how little difference there is between DO's and MD's. Its just a matter of time before individual DO schools see the lure of bigger research potential and dollar signs and become accredited through the LCME. Even TCOM where I go to school is bringing on MD faculty as fast as DO faculty. 100 years from now, my DO degree will be a collector's item!!

Hey, Corpsmanup. Like your blog. I'm going to write some reviews on my blog once the dust settles.

DeLaughterDO said:
I agree with you EMJunkie - I think it is ridiculous that MDs cannot apply to AOA residencies, yet DO students complain when they are "discriminated" against when applying to ACGME residencies because they are DOs.

And the comment made by Y2KPSD that "they are not qualified" is a crock of ****.

I think all residency positions should be opened up for application by everyone. The AOA is afraid their residencies would be shut down by a joint match because they cannot compete with the ACGME positions - that is probably true. However, if the AOA residencies were held to the same standards as the ACGME programs (RRC evals, volume, etc), maybe they would get better and there would be less fear by the AOA that all their graduates are leaving to become trained by ACGME programs.

Open it all up - that's my vote. Maybe I'm a traitor, since I'll be a DO in 3 weeks... that's just what I think.

jd

I with you - though I have 3 more years :laugh:

vtucci said:

Why would you want to do an extra year, anyway?

All DO residencies are 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
corpsmanUP said:

I never pretended to know so much about DO programs. If you notice my post clearly said that the DO residencies vary in quality, and some are "supposedly" very bad - thereby indicating the second hand nature of my knowledge. A quick search on this topic will turn up numerous posts all saying vitually the same thing. If you want to get technical, nobody can speak with first hand knowledge of the differences between MD and DO residencies in EM unless they had attended them both (highly unlikely).

I agree with you that most MD students would not want to apply to the DO programs, but that shouldn't mean we are forbidden from doing so. It is almost like saying that DO's are so uncompetitive that they must set up a whole bunch of residencies just for them or else they wouldn't be able to get into a residency. I know that couldn't be farther from the truth, but thats what it looks like.

If I were in charge of the world, I would tell the AOA residencies they must start accepting applications from MD students within 2 years or we were slamming the door shut on ACGME residencies to DO applicants - that would change a few things pretty quickly!

That is all (end rant).

-EM Junkie, MD in 3 weeks

OSUdoc08 said:
Why would you want to do an extra year, anyway?

All DO residencies are 4 years.

Keep in mind that out of the 135 or so MD programs about 35 of them are 4 yr programs.. People choose to go to these programs...

EctopicFetus said:
Keep in mind that out of the 135 or so MD programs about 35 of them are 4 yr programs.. People choose to go to these programs...

What are some reasons for this?

The primary reason I am interested in ACGME is the 3-year residency.

I can understand going to Cook County and LSU-New Orleans due to location, but there are several 3 year programs in Chicago anyway.

OSUDoc I am in Chicago.. The 3 vs 4 yr issue is something that has been discussed on here. Bottom line in a 4 yr program you have more time for electives, others can chime in. Here is something from the SAEM site...

http://www.saem.org/inform/medstudent/3vs4.html

In Chicago the 3 yr programs are:
U of Chicago
Resurrection
UIC
Christ

The 2-4 is Cook County and the 1-4 is Northwestern.. I think that covers the 5 chicago programs. Hope this helps..

EM Junkie said:
I never pretended to know so much about DO programs.

If I were in charge of the world, I would tell the AOA residencies they must start accepting applications from MD students within 2 years or we were slamming the door shut on ACGME residencies to DO applicants - that would change a few things pretty quickly!

That is all (end rant).

-EM Junkie, MD in 3 weeks

I hate to say it but you sound a little condescending from your "MD throne". Your post stated that some DO programs were very, very bad. I mean how do you really know that? I just think to comment on that when you are in no position to know, nor care, shows some bit of arrogance. I cannot even tell you that some DO programs are very, very bad, but if I said it at least I have 4 years in a DO institution to back it up. But I am not saying that.

Your statement following your what-if about ruling the world showed more arrogance than I want to believe you really have. I want to believe you really do not feel that DO's are in ACGME programs out of some favor to us....like we are not worthy unless there is some sort of exception made for us. I think we both know that if a few DO's had changed their rank order around, many an MD student might be in a different program. Yes, it is true, some programs value candidates based on their overall package and rank accordingly. You are never going to get the ACGME to shut out DO's now that they have had good DO's in their programs. To do so would put lesser qualified MD students into specialty residencies that otherwise would not have got in in all liklihood.

So what you are saying if I understand you is that if the AOA does not open residencies to physicians who have a skillset not up to their par , that you would shut out a great group of DO residents in ACGME residencies?? Don't forget my friend, we take an entire 2 years of classes that you know nothing about, and still we often take your board exam. Its arrogant of you to believe that ACGME PD's would want to somehow punish themselves by cutting out of their rank list a great group of residents in favor of some lesser MD's. And before you retaliate, think about it, it's true. If ACGME programs overnight cut out ranking DO students it would cause them to have to rank 2-3% more MD's, and the only place to get them would be at the statistical level below where those DO's were in the rankings.

The bottom line dude is that when you jump up too quickly to speak about black issues coming from the white world, you are not going to be looked upon favorably by any of the black parties, because you just haven't lived in that world.

corpsmanUP said:
I hate to say it but you sound a little condescending from your "MD throne". Your post stated that some DO programs were very, very bad. I mean how do you really know that? I just think to comment on that when you are in no position to know, nor care, shows some bit of arrogance. I cannot even tell you that some DO programs are very, very bad, but if I said it at least I have 4 years in a DO institution to back it up. But I am not saying that.

I already stated that my point of view comes from second hand knowledge, which comes from reading dozens of posts on here on this very topic, and from talking to DO med students who chose to rank MD and DO programs. If DO programs are so good, why did you yourself choose to participate in the allopathic match my friend? I do not doubt that there are very good DO programs, much better than most allopathic programs. On the other hand, there are DO medical schools and residencies sprouting up like wildflowers all over the country, some with no regard to quality of training - only money. You say I am not qualified to post on here regarding this topic? I have read articles on the topic, spoken with people who have considered both, and rendered an opinion. Isn't that the point of posting on this forum, to offer an opinion?

corpsmanUP said:
Your statement following your what-if about ruling the world showed more arrogance than I want to believe you really have. I want to believe you really do not feel that DO's are in ACGME programs out of some favor to us....like we are not worthy unless there is some sort of exception made for us. I think we both know that if a few DO's had changed their rank order around, many an MD student might be in a different program. Yes, it is true, some programs value candidates based on their overall package and rank accordingly. You are never going to get the ACGME to shut out DO's now that they have had good DO's in their programs. To do so would put lesser qualified MD students into specialty residencies that otherwise would not have got in in all liklihood.

Did you not even read my post before shooting off with your keyboard? I said "that couldn't be farther from the truth." But when DO programs exclude MD candidates they are giving the impression of protectionism for the lesser qualified DO candidates who could not make it into an MD residency.

corpsmanUP said:
So what you are saying if I understand you is that if the AOA does not open residencies to physicians who have a skillset not up to their par , that you would shut out a great group of DO residents in ACGME residencies?? Don't forget my friend, we take an entire 2 years of classes that you know nothing about, and still we often take your board exam. Its arrogant of you to believe that ACGME PD's would want to somehow punish themselves by cutting out of their rank list a great group of residents in favor of some lesser MD's. And before you retaliate, think about it, it's true. If ACGME programs overnight cut out ranking DO students it would cause them to have to rank 2-3% more MD's, and the only place to get them would be at the statistical level below where those DO's were in the rankings.

2 whole years of classes? My understanding is that DO schools are 4 years in length, just like MD schools. Unless you attended some 6 year school that I am unaware of. Likely you do not take 2 years of "classes I know nothing about," rather a couple of extra courses on OMM that I do not care to know anything about. I further suspect that during that time I had a course or two you did not have, assuming we spent equal hours in the classroom or wards over the last 4 years. So while I received extra instruction in clinical medicine or physical exams or something worthwhile, you spent it learning to massage pneumonia out of a lung or some other worthless thing you will never, by your own admission, use in the emergency department. But now you have the arrogance to say that my skillset is not up to par? Next time you do an OMM in the ER, you let me know.

As to excluding DO's from MD residencies, that would be a huge mistake. But something of that magnitude might be needed to force DO residencies to accept MD candidates to their programs. If it would make you happy, have them take a month of OMM before residency starts.

corpsmanUP said:
The bottom line dude is that when you jump up too quickly to speak about black issues coming from the white world, you are not going to be looked upon favorably by any of the black parties, because you just haven't lived in that world.

WTF? How did this turn into a race thing? You lost me corpsman.... I think I have spent enough of my vacation trying to justify myself to you. The only solace I have is that I took your crosshairs off of PandaBear for awhile. Excuse me for trying to type up a quick response to a thread started by a confused medical student. From now on I will be silent and let corpsman, the greatest medical student of all time, respond to all posts on this forum.

Back to my vacation that was so rudely interrupted... :mad:

EM Junkie,

You continue to put your own foot in your mouth with comments like "lesser qualified DO's". Your bias is obvious. I said we take 2 years of "courses" that you do not take, not 2 solid years. And once again you call my 2 years of OMM "massaging pneumonia". Your arrogance is as deep as your ignorance, and competes with your sub Q depth!

Oh, yeh, hey Junkie, if you spent 2 years learning something that we did not, how come I had no problem dismembering your stats to include your OWN board exam? And before you say I am the rare one, what about Mishka, DeLaughter, Idiopathic, and tons of others on this forum I can name all night long?

OMM may be a ton of material with little relevance, but it is more than "massage".

I chose to participate in the allopathic match because there were more programs and more options, and the DO programs have no available info easily obtainable.

The "race thing" was an analogy that I felt you might understand. Being a DO is something that you cannot understand from reading a post, and to comment about the DO world with such authority as you did was out of line in my opinion. The race analogy was actually perfect because it parallels the emotions felt by the pioneers of our profession who I still respect even if you don't. They felt like black men in a white man's world. You talk like a white man who pretends to embrace the black world...analogy Junkie....analogy.

But your comments are condescending, and your knowledge is limited. I was NOT wanting to make this a DO vs MD thing but you chose to take it down that path. I was trying to explain that your original comments came off like you knew that there were "very, very" bad DO programs. I bet without a google search you couldn't even name 3 DO EM programs.

I'll extend an olive branch and admit I could have misunderstood your initial comments but I am not going to accept anything less than an apology for the subsequent anti-DO comments you have stated since. Anything less and this is going to get really bad. Come on man, at least admit you took cheap shots at my profession.....I mean seriously...."massaging pneumonia".

I am off to watch the Sopranos....I hope you can meet me half way with this....

Wow- did not mean to start all this trouble. I was just curious.

I understand that there is a bias in some programs against doctors with a DO degree. As it is not a bias I share, I was simply wondering why the MD students could not do the DO residencies? For those of you headed to DO residencies in EM, what aspects of your special training (i.e., the classes that MDs do not have) do you think are particularly well suited to EM?

I was also thinking about location/family concerns for many of my classmates.

vtucci said:
Wow- did not mean to start all this trouble. I was just curious.

I understand that there is a bias in some programs against doctors with a DO degree. As it is not a bias I share, I was simply wondering why the MD students could not do the DO residencies? For those of you headed to DO residencies in EM, what aspects of your special training (i.e., the classes that MDs do not have) do you think are particularly well suited to EM?

I was also thinking about location/family concerns for many of my classmates.

There are few if any DO programs located in a city where there are no ACGME programs already. The only place that comes to mind is Oklahoma. Phili, Cleveland, Chicago, SoCal, Columbus, and several others are of no benefit for an MD grad. The ACGME programs in these places already outnumber the DO programs 2 to 1 easily. Even if the AOA opened up its slots to MD's, the AOA is determined to NOT have a joint match. So this makes it virtually pointless because no MD is going to forgo the ACGME match and wait for the AOA match. We are talking about a scenario that would benefit perhaps 1 or 2 MD's per year, if that.

OMM is not just "massage". It is a philosophy that starts with patient centered listening skills, and includes the use of hands for both diagnosis and therapy. More than anything it makes DO physicians some of the best anatomists around, and this is a big help in many ways. You really can't understand it unless you have learned it. Sure, there are some aspects of it that are just odd, and unproven, but there are many medications we routinely prescribed in the past that now are off the market because they were found to be deadly. Vioxx, Rezulin, Seldane, Propulsid, etc..etc..

All I am saying is that there is no reason for a 4th year allopathic student to come on here and proclaim to be some expert in DO EM education. I called it like it was. The OP asked a reasonable question and I hope she/he has heard a decent explanation of the issue between the tracer rounds!

The main point of my 3 post disertation is that this post deserved to have someone commenting on the thread with some true knowledge of the subject, and for a non-graduate (yet) MD to be the FIRST person to post on this issue with such vigorous authority shows just a tad bit of arrogance. Well, I am off to the menapause thread on the OBGYN forum to be the first one to comment on the emotional aspects of hot flashes. I don't know crap about them as a male but having read all about them I believe I know "very, very" much about their significance.....get my point?

I have no beef with Panda either Junkie....bit when all else fails, bring up another issue and side step the real issue at hand. And you said it best, the forum is a place to discuss and agree/disagree. I just happen to be disagreeing with you, and subsequently you have managed to show all your "true" feelings about the DO profession. I suggest you get used to working with us; in fact, one of my good friends will be joining you in your intern class. And I would study up before February if I were you...she too well exceeded your scores across the board and somehow managed to do it without taking that "extra course" you say you had. OMM is in "addition" to every course you took...not something that replaced something you guys took.

some feelings are getting riled...

Bottom line is I think the answer is in for the OP.. lets not turn this into another MD vs DO thing..

corpsmanUP said:
There are few if any DO programs located in a city where there are no ACGME programs already. The only place that comes to mind is Oklahoma. Phili, Cleveland, Chicago, SoCal, Columbus, and several others are of no benefit for an MD grad. The ACGME programs in these places already outnumber the DO programs 2 to 1 easily. Even if the AOA opened up its slots to MD's, the AOA is determined to NOT have a joint match. So this makes it virtually pointless because no MD is going to forgo the ACGME match and wait for the AOA match. We are talking about a scenario that would benefit perhaps 1 or 2 MD's per year, if that.

Cool thanks for the information.

OMM is not just "massage". It is a philosophy that starts with patient centered listening skills, and includes the use of hands for both diagnosis and therapy. More than anything it makes DO physicians some of the best anatomists around, and this is a big help in many ways. You really can't understand it unless you have learned it. Sure, there are some aspects of it that are just odd, and unproven, but there are many medications we routinely prescribed in the past that now are off the market because they were found to be deadly. Vioxx, Rezulin, Seldane, Propulsid, etc..etc..

DOs were not the only ones prescribing medicines that have since been pulled off the market. We are all guilty on that one. :)

All I am saying is that there is no reason for a 4th year allopathic student to come on here and proclaim to be some expert in DO EM education. I called it like it was. The OP asked a reasonable question and I hope she/he has heard a decent explanation of the issue between the tracer rounds!

I think the thread has been very enlightening. I thank you all for letting me know your thoughts.

Once we get past the emotionally and politically charged commentaries, it becomes quite clear that there's often little in the way of difference. To understand why MD's cannot apply to DO residencies is to appreciate the history of the osteopathic profession- I agree with others on this board who state that the AOA policy is "outrageous and unfair." To be sure, we've spent so much time lobbying for equality...now that equality is finally here, we spend way too much time trying to focus on the long lost distinctions. Osteopathic medicine began as an alternative to the often unsuccessful treatment modalities employed during the end of the civil war. Still (the founder) believed in a more 'intrinsic' method of healing; that is to say, he thought that the body could go a LONG way towards healing itself, provided that obstacles were removed. This is an extremely brief approximation of his ideological construct. He was fascinated with the musculoskeletal system and its inter-relationship with the hematologic, nervous, and lymphatic capabilities of the human body. To achieve legitimacy, osteopathic medicine HAD to conform to the same scientific constructs as its allopathic counterpart; it couldn't claim to be a complete (but distinct) form of medical practice without acknowledging the scientific principles that their allopathic colleagues had so diligently worked out. Thus, DOs have matured from "alernative" practitioners to "equal" providers of medicine. This reality makes it extremely difficult, from a philosophical standpoint, to maintain the notion that we are somehow special, distinct, or altogether revolutionary.

The real reason behind the exclusion of MDs from osteopathic residencies boils down a question of survival. Osteopathic medicine has lagged behind the MDs in terms of graduate medical education opportunities. If the profession was to embrace MD applicants, then they would be in danger of losing their funding and forgetting whatever it was that remained distinct about manipulative medicine. DO's have matriculated into allopathic residencies and have served as board members and past presidents of ACEP... many older osteopathic physicians view this as a veritable admonition of osteopathic medicine's roots and as some sort of betrayal to its founder Andrew Taylor Still....

Let me be perfectly clear in saying that the exclusion of MDs from AOA residencies is wrong and without justification. I think we've worked long and hard to achieve parity; as physicians and practitioners of modern medicine, DOs and MDs should be similar with respect to their committment to excellent patient care, evidence based medicine, and current standards of practice. The political reality is that the AOA needs to perpetuate itself as an institution. The AOA leadership understandably feels that if osteopathic medicine was to be 'absorbed,' then it would lose those things which make it distinct as a school... the therapeutic application of musculoskeletal manipulation (muscle energy, counterstrain, high velocity low amplitude, etc..)

While DO residencies represent an alternative path to board certification in emergency medicine, I think the key to the future lies in dual accreditation. That way, the osteopathic physicians would be encouraged to maintain their skills sets and to share them with their colleagues. Medical schools like UMass have an excellent track record in terms of integrating DOs into their curriculum. The field of family practice serves as a model for this type of cooperation- one Duke FP residency actively recruits DOs and encourages maintenance of OMM skills.

The decision to pursue DO vs MD training comes down to a personal choice. Residencies do differ with regard to quality and academic strength. Some DO programs place a heavy emphasis on community emergency medicine and offer rotations and many different institutions. Alternatively, MD programs revolve around tertiary/quaternary teaching centers. Talk to current residents and program directors and decide what's best for yourself. It is REALLY important to base your decisions on direct feedback- my friend recently started as an intern in a new osteopathic residency affiliated with Henry Ford in Detroit- he could not be happier.

Good luck,

PuSh

Don't forget that the DO's who want to take an active part in the AMA/ACGME political process are on completely different sides of this argument from the DO's in the AOA and subsequently the ACOEP. If you were to threaten the AOA and tell them that they MUST open their programs to MD's, they would laugh and say "Well then close the ACGME programs to DO's for all we care". They would love nothing more. They have no greater wish than to obstruct DO's from going into ACGME programs.

To try and squeeze the AOA for this change would be the equivilant of threatening a child with "increasing their allowance" if they don't stop doing a particular undesired deed. The AOA has no care in the world to join ranks with the AMA, so why punish an entire profession of DO's who seek ACGME opportunities when we all know they are not going to budge?

None of us care whether or not DO programs open to MD's...we have all said it should happen. It's just not going to happen, and you can moan about it all day but it's just life.

corpsmanUP said:
You continue to put your own foot in your mouth with comments like "lesser qualified DO's". Your bias is obvious.

Perhaps my thinking escaped you, I was referring to the small minority of DO's whose stats are less stellar than your own who may have trouble getting into an MD residency. In the same way as there are MD students who are "less qualified" to enter an MD residency, but who have no "safety net". I IN NO WAY meant to imply that all DO graduates are less qualified, and I thought I took great care to get that across in my post. If I did not, I apologize, you took it COMPLETELY different than I intended.

corpsmanUP said:
Come on man, at least admit you took cheap shots at my profession.....I mean seriously...."massaging pneumonia".....

Cheap shot, maybe. But even you admit that OMM has a few crazy teachings.

corpsmanUP said:
I am off to watch the Sopranos....I hope you can meet me half way with this....

The only reason I am even replying is that I would not want your comments to possibly convince one of my future colleagues that I am anti-DO. I have great respect for everyone who has graduated medical school, MD or DO, and entered one of the more competitive specialties, EM.

Maybe you thought I was out of line with my initial post, then post your own opinion and get on with your life. Thats what everyone else does on SDN. Only you seem to like to personally take issue with people and tear things down into a personal argument (hence why I brought up our good friend PandaBear). I guess I hit a sensitive spot with you on the whole DO thing. Lesson learned. Nobody else on here seemed to have a problem with my first post.

I consider this matter closed. I frankly have a lot better things to do than continue this degenerating thread.

Since this thread has been reopened, I accept your olive branch Corpsman.

In retrospect I should have answered the OP with this:

"That is correct - DO students can apply to MD residencies but MD students cannot apply to DO residencies. I think that is outrageous and unfair, but nobody asked me."

...and left it for those with more first hand knowledge of the topic to discuss further. I never meant to insinuate that DO's are any less capable physicians, I feel my posts were taken out of context on that topic. Let's consider this closed and move on to more pressing issues....

:hug: :love:

EM Junkie said:
Since this thread has been reopened, I accept your olive branch Corpsman.

In retrospect I should have answered the OP with this:

"That is correct - DO students can apply to MD residencies but MD students cannot apply to DO residencies. I think that is outrageous and unfair, but nobody asked me."

...and left it for those with more first hand knowledge of the topic to discuss further. I never meant to insinuate that DO's are any less capable physicians, I feel my posts were taken out of context on that topic. Let's consider this closed and move on to more pressing issues....

:hug: :love:

Right back acha Holmes!!

And lesson for Tkim..oversteppor...of territorial bounds....wishin....for some...true power......nuttin butta playa....moderata.... (!@@$@!!#@^##@!)<------EM gang signs being flashed.

Stay on ya own block!!!

corpsmanUP said:
Right back acha Holmes!!

And lesson for Tkim..oversteppor...of territorial bounds....wishin....for some...true power......nuttin butta playa....moderata.... (!@@$@!!#@^##@!)<------EM gang signs being flashed.

Stay on ya own block!!!
Wow I hate to unnecesarrily bring up racial issues for the second time on this silly thread but I just have to say that I would like to nominate this post as the "straight up whiter then the whitest white man" post of the month :p

colforbinMD said:
Wow I hate to unnecesarrily bring up racial issues for the second time on this silly thread but I just have to say that I would like to nominate this post as the "straight up whiter then the whitest white man" post of the month :p

Sorry man, I won't qualify, as I have too much mexican DNA.

I am going to a combined MD/DO program starting in June. I am asking this question humbly and without rancor and using my respect for DOs of whom I know many as a basis but why do DOs have to do a transitional year for a MD PGY1-3 program while MDs do not?

Also, to those of you who want to bust down on the DOs, if you look, many EM programs have DOs in them both as residents and faculty. Maybe EM knows something that other specialties don't.

Panda Bear said:
I am going to a combined MD/DO program starting in June. I am asking this question humbly and without rancor and using my respect for DOs of whom I know many as a basis but why do DOs have to do a transitional year for a MD PGY1-3 program while MDs do not?

Also, to those of you who want to bust down on the DOs, if you look, many EM programs have DOs in them both as residents and faculty. Maybe EM knows something that other specialties don't.

Panda;

DOs do not NECESSARILY have to do a transitional year (called an Osteopathic Traditional Rotating Internship in the DO world) before an ACGME PGY1-3 EM program. In 5 states (PA, WV, MI, FL, OK) DOs are required to have this internship to get an unrestricted medical license. In the other 45 states, it does not matter whether you do the internship or not - the only reason to do it is to enter an AOA residency or to "stay on the AOAs good side."

I'm doing an internship because I'm moving to PA next year, as well as I am moving across the country with another person who is going to be trying to match Peds - we thought we would do an internship and then re-apply for next year after we are already in the area where we want to apply... whether it makes sense or not, who knows. It's just the way it is.

jd

Q: If a bunch of DO's fought a bunch of MD's, who would win?

A: Ditka

Taus said:
old saturday night live skit...

Ok, that explains it - I've never really caught the SNL fever everyone else seems to have.

BTW, this is a +pad+

corpsmanUP said:
Sorry man, I won't qualify, as I have too much mexican DNA.
Shouldn't you have taken Monday off from posting then? :D

colforbinMD said:
Shouldn't you have taken Monday off from posting then? :D

I protested by drinking imported beer instead of domestic Milwaukee's Best for a day. It cost me a little more but I got to really stick it to those freaking cheese heads!!

corpsmanUP said:
I protested by drinking imported beer instead of domestic Milwaukee's Best for a day. It cost me a little more but I got to really stick it to those freaking cheese heads!!

negra modelo, mmm

WilcoWorld said:
Q: If a bunch of DO's fought a bunch of MD's, who would win?

A: Ditka
DeLaughter... the SNL skit is one of the funniest they have done. I generally dont think that much of what is on SNL is funny the older stuff is classic.. My favorite..

So who wins this race? Mario andretti (I forgot the actualy race car driver) in his car or ditka in a semi...

A: Ditka by a mile...

Just so silly its funny.

BKN said:
negra modelo, mmm

Negra Modelo is the best Mexican beer.

Guinness and Newcastle are the best overall beers.

Shiner Bock and Sam Adams are the best American beers.

Discuss.

OSUdoc08 said:

Discuss.

Negra Modelo is decent beer. It stands out, not because it is so good, but because most other Mexican beers are so bad. Having said that, there is a place for water beer. I love Corona (ice cold) for those 100 + degree days on the lake.

I'm a Black and Tan guy myself, so I'll agree with you on Guinness but swap Newcastle for Bass.

As for American beers, I'm certainly a Shiner fan (I am a Texan, after all...in fact, I don't live all that far from the little brewery in Shiner) but there are so many good microbrews it is always hard for me to pick just one. Once upon a time, when all was still good in the world, Celis Pale Bock was my hands down favorite.

Take care,
Jeff <prefers comparing ales and lagers much more than MDs and DOs

OSUdoc08 said:

Discuss.
Anyone with love for Honey Brown, how about grolsch. I am currently enjoying these fine beverages.. I like to mix it up. Also Hatuey (sp?) is a cuban beer which is pretty darn good.

Also worldwide baltica in the gold can... Its a russian beer and is awesome...

I like Honey Brown, but in the past 5 years I have become bored with it. I have never cared for Shiner, especially once I found out they used carmel coloring to make it look like it was some kind of pale ale. It's not terrible, but its nothing I would die for.

Honker's Ale (Goose Island Brewery) from Chicago is great. I haven't heard anyone mention Fat Tire either, which I love. I like Amstel for a light beer, and like Jeff said, water beer is excellent when it's 100 degrees outside. My favorite for that is Milwaukee's Best Light in the blue can, which is actually just bottom of the barrel Miller Lite. Its cheaper and the same to me for the intended purpose.

Beck's isn't bad, and I really used to love Celis Rasberry but I can't ever find it anymore. And of course the old Sierra Nevada is a fine pale ale.

And for something completely different Anchor Steam!

Meanwhile MsDrBKNDVM has gotten fond of Stargazer IPA from the Karl Strauss microbrewery in So Cal. To me it tastes like a good beer that somebody added lemon juice to.:p

corpsmanUP said:
I like Honey Brown, but in the past 5 years I have become bored with it. I have never cared for Shiner, especially once I found out they used carmel coloring to make it look like it was some kind of pale ale. It's not terrible, but its nothing I would die for.

Honker's Ale (Goose Island Brewery) from Chicago is great. I haven't heard anyone mention Fat Tire either, which I love. I like Amstel for a light beer, and like Jeff said, water beer is excellent when it's 100 degrees outside. My favorite for that is Milwaukee's Best Light in the blue can, which is actually just bottom of the barrel Miller Lite. Its cheaper and the same to me for the intended purpose.

Beck's isn't bad
, and I really used to love Celis Rasberry but I can't ever find it anymore. And of course the old Sierra Nevada is a fine pale ale.

I'm a big fan of Beck's Dark

corpsmanUP said:

Beck's isn't bad, and I really used to love Celis Rasberry but I can't ever find it anymore. And of course the old Sierra Nevada is a fine pale ale.
I bartended as an M1 and the place only served Goose Island on tap (others by the bottle) the honkers ale is good but some of the others are even better.