hmmmm.......MSU or Wayne State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nutmeg1008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little Michigan girl with BIG goals for working in international medicine and public health.

I like Michigan State's program better (integrated classroom and clinical setting, smaller classes, focus on family health and community service...) Wayne State will expose me to a wider variety of cases (it's Detroit...enough said) but I'm not as confident in their program.

What do you guys will serve me better once I'm abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

i know msu has a rotation in belize i think. it can give you a head start

just a curious question about your profile: why can't you see yourself at msu for 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
nutmeg1008 said:
just a curious question about your profile: why can't you see yourself at msu for 4 years?
Also, with their community campus arrangement many/most students aren't in E. Lansing for four years!

I have no idea which is better for international med/public health. If I were you, I'd contact both admissions offices and ask them about the opportunities. I know that at UofM a number of students pick up an MPH as well. I don't know if that is an option at either MSU or Wayne, but it might be a good thing to check out.

nutmeg1008 said:

its a small city. i know its a little (or a lot shallow) but i want to be in a happening place. plus in 2 years you got to go to an even smaller place. and most sudents match to nearby places. prospects of coming back to cali are dim.
school is great though and there is no mandatory disection in anatomy!
good luck to you

madonna said:
its a small city. i know its a little (or a lot shallow) but i want to be in a happening place. plus in 2 years you got to go to an even smaller place. and most sudents match to nearby places. prospects of coming back to cali are dim.
school is great though and there is no mandatory disection in anatomy!
good luck to you

Hi there - I'm a graduating student from MSU CHM, and actually most students don't match to nearby places. True many choose to stay in state, but the majority of my class has matched to out of state locales... including UVa (where I'll be), Brigham & Women's, Northwestern, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc. etc. and a good chunk on students <i>are </i> returning to Cali.

Just thought I'd give my perspective as someone who has LOVED being at MSU for my medical education!

Good luck!

edit: oops! I forgot to add that there are many international opportunities, if that is something you are interested in. There is a 6-8 week elective in Malawi for 4th year students. Also the Saginaw campus has an integrated experience in Belize that 3rd year students travel to - if you choose to be at the Saginaw campus that is. In addition, local docs often have international rotations that students are allowed to go on as a 4th year student. Many of my classmates have chosen extend their programs, taking additional time during their medical education to go to various countries. Hope this info helps you!

nutmeg1008 said:
I am a little Michigan girl with BIG goals for working in international medicine and public health.

I like Michigan State's program better (integrated classroom and clinical setting, smaller classes, focus on family health and community service...) Wayne State will expose me to a wider variety of cases (it's Detroit...enough said) but I'm not as confident in their program.

i think that wayne, by virtue of being a larger medical school/university and being located in a more urban environment, could potentially offer more international opportunities.
but, what do i know? :)

konverse said:
i think that wayne, by virtue of being a larger medical school/university and being located in a more urban environment, could potentially offer more international opportunities.
but, what do i know? :)

See my edit!

nutmeg1008 said:

personal opinion is that where you do your residency will make more difference in how you handle international medicine.
I would suggest that you go to the school that you think you'll do best at - and from your post I think that is probably MSU.

Can't comment on MSU but WSU has their world health student org (WHSO) which does spring break trips which would give you a chance to take a first-hand look at international medicine. If you haven't done a trip like that I would highly recommend it since they tend to be real eye-openers.

Thanks everyone for your replies!! The info was incredibly helpful. I sent in my withdrawal today to WSU...MSU CHM Class of 2010! yay!:)

Good luck to you all in your pursuits! :)

nutmeg1008 said:
Thanks everyone for your replies!! The info was incredibly helpful. I sent in my withdrawal today to WSU...MSU CHM Class of 2010! yay!:)

Good luck to you all in your pursuits! :)

Best of luck to you at CHM.
You have made someone on WSU's alternate list very happy.