shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After an another awfull day at work...b/c of my feet

I decided that the best way to end my suffering is to come before you my fellow.pharmD and futur pharmD and ask for advice: ( NOT A MEDICAL ADVICE)

What shoe do you wear at work.obviously i am talking about retail pharmacy.where you have to stand up all day long....I stood up from 8:30 am to 6 PM...and this is it i have to do something about it...otherwise i won't make it to graduation day....

Please avoid any drug name...i know where to find the pain pills if needed.. i am just asking about the shoes you wear at work and make you comfortable for hours...?

thank you fo sharing your shoe style ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I mainly use softwalks (and compression stockings..I know granny legs :) )

There are some other really good comfy brands that I've heard of: Ecco, wolky's, borns, dexter's, dansko, clarks to name a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
GabonpharmD said:
. i am just asking about the shoes you wear at work and make you comfortable for hours...?

My wife bought me a pair of Crocs a long time ago and I wear them all the time, especially at work. She wore them for work all the time (RN) and when I was crying about my sore feet she bought me some.

They are some kind of all rubber material, which I thought was weird, but once I saw how comfortable they are, I didn't care what they were made of.

They sale them all over. I know Dillards and Nordstroms carries them. You should be able to googld them and they are about 30-40 bucks depending on the style.

Take care.

I wear tennis shoes that are 2 sizes bigger (K-Swiss). Works for me.

I wear Cherokee Rockers, which you can buy at a nurse uniform supply store. Or just try them on there, then buy them online. They have several different styles.

I just bought a pair of Merrell -style Primo Breeze, one of the pharmacists I used to work with as well as another pharm student swear by them. I am going to wear them tom. so hopefully they will keep my feet from hurting!

I'm not supposed to wear sneakers, but I do anyways, as do the other techs and several of the pharmacists as well.

I've heard of a lot of people wearing the compression stockings... I find hose to be so incredibly uncomfortable, but if they really helped I'd consider wearing them.

So, has anyone tried the dansko slipon type shoes? They are really expensive ($115+), but again, if they'd help with my feet I'd pay triple that. :laugh:

A pair of black Nike's with minimal bling are a must-have.... it's a matter of survival really...

At my pharmacy a lot of us wear compression stockings and I think they work well. I vary what shoes I wear to work, but I still ache. I have heard the brand clarks are very comfortable.

pharmagirl said:
I've heard of a lot of people wearing the compression stockings... I find hose to be so incredibly uncomfortable, but if they really helped I'd consider wearing them.

So, has anyone tried the dansko slipon type shoes? They are really expensive ($115+), but again, if they'd help with my feet I'd pay triple that. :laugh:

Do you mean the clogs? I know people who really liek them, but they didn't work for me. The soles are too hard and the arch was too high ; I could wear them 2-3 hours tops. So i would say definately try them out first.

Dankso all the way. They have clogs, sandals, shoes, and boots. They are sort of Euro looking but they have tons of styles and colors to choose from and they are all super comfortable. The clogs take a week or two to get used to, but after that you'll swear by them too. Go to dansko.com and take a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a pharmacist, but I have had to switch a few pairs of shoes because I'm easy to get uncomfortable if not. I did use the New Balance shoes with a slip-in comfort insole. It seems like it made my back hurt. So, simple has been better for me as I have worn Crocs for months now. They are slip-ons but they do have an adjustable back if you want to use it. Alot of nurses are wearing these and they don't look unusual with so many colors and a few different styles. I paid about $30 dollars for mine, so I believe it's a cheap option to try that you might like. Of course, there are also a lot of "knock-offs" so to speak. These can be as cheap as $9.99 and may give you an idea. For major foot pain I may go with something more expensive and designed for this problem.

I just went and tried the Dansko clogs on today after reading so many good things about them. The sales lady warned me that they wouldn't be very soft, and she wasn't kidding. I was surprised at how hard they felt to my feet. I did like that the arch was so high.

So, are these really worth the money? And what do people mean about them taking time to get used to? Does that mean I'm going to be in agony while waiting for my feet to adjust to them?

pharmagirl said:
I just went and tried the Dansko clogs on today after reading so many good things about them. The sales lady warned me that they wouldn't be very soft, and she wasn't kidding. I was surprised at how hard they felt to my feet. I did like that the arch was so high.

So, are these really worth the money? And what do people mean about them taking time to get used to? Does that mean I'm going to be in agony while waiting for my feet to adjust to them?

That's a good question.let me know how it goes for you.
I have already order a Merrell on ebay and was watching for the Dansko..

pharmagirl said:

No agony, they just aren't cushy like some shoes. The comfort comes from the support. It just takes a week or two for them to form to the contours of your feet, then you will agree that it was money well spent. If you want more cushion try something from the shoe collection rather than the traditional stapled clogs. Each has served me well, standing at work as well as trapsing all across the cobblestoned streets of Europe. Also, try on some Keens. Some people think the trademark big rubber toe bumber looks ridiculous, but I kind of like the way they look, and they are super comfortable.

I worked at a factory job where you were standing for 12 hour shifts. Everyone there wore New Balance tennis shoes. I got a pair and I agree that they are nice on the feet. Another very good option is Wilson tennis shoes.

I am on my feet a lot also and was having problems with my feet aching... so I went shoe shopping!

Dansko Dansko Dansko - all the way!! :D
My feet are kind of wide so I usually have trouble with finding the right shoes. I didn't buy the Dansko clogs - just regular shoes (more like mary jane style) - they are cute and ever so comfortable. I bought them at Nordstroms and they actually widened them for me (although Dansko's are usually wide enough for most people). They are expensive though - mine were $115 - but truly worth it. I really like mine and they still look like professional black shoes under most work clothing.

Powerstep shoe inserts... they make a world of difference! You can usually find them at any shoe store for runners. :)

I'm surprised that so many people are only concerned about the comfort on the soles of the feet. The sides of the shoes should be stiff to provide support, so you don't roll an ankle. Sneakers don't give you the support that you need.

dgroulx said:
I'm surprised that so many people are only concerned about the comfort on the soles of the feet. The sides of the shoes should be stiff to provide support, so you don't roll an ankle. Sneakers don't give you the support that you need.
Dana, this is a good point! I just bought a pair of Klogs and I couldn't believe how many times I stepped wrong and came really close to hurting an ankle. I usually wear new balance, so I guess I just need to adjust to the different style of shoe.

My dankso's have been ordered and should be here Monday! I can't wait to give them a try.

My Merrel came in yesterday....a little bit hard in the inside.i'll wait a couple of weeks and if no improvement..i will buy something to put inside...but so far so good, i like them..i took a half size bigger than my actual size..and work perfect.. for me.

GabonpharmD said:
After an another awfull day at work...b/c of my feet

I decided that the best way to end my suffering is to come before you my fellow.pharmD and futur pharmD and ask for advice: ( NOT A MEDICAL ADVICE)

What shoe do you wear at work.obviously i am talking about retail pharmacy.where you have to stand up all day long....I stood up from 8:30 am to 6 PM...and this is it i have to do something about it...otherwise i won't make it to graduation day....

Please avoid any drug name...i know where to find the pain pills if needed.. i am just asking about the shoes you wear at work and make you comfortable for hours...?

Hi! I just got back from a family trip to Ireland, and my 68 yo father had bought a pair of "mephisto" shoes for it. He said they were very expensive but he will never wear another pair of walking shoes ever, that they were worth every penny. He said he has never felt another pair of shoes more comfortable.

They didn't look too bad either...
good luck finding the perfect shoe.

dansko clogs are where it's at.

I've been wearing them almost 10 years now-originally as barn shoes but I started wearing them to school in high school.

I have 4 or 5 pairs. I love them to death, however it may have something to do with foot shape - I really can't wear birkenstocks.

I finally got my dankso's in the mail. I read that they are supposed to actually slide up and down on the back of your heel without touching it. For those of you with Dansko's, do yours do this? They feel like they're too big, but I think I might need to just get used to that.

pharmagirl said:
I finally got my dankso's in the mail. I read that they are supposed to actually slide up and down on the back of your heel without touching it. For those of you with Dansko's, do yours do this? They feel like they're too big, but I think I might need to just get used to that.

you may want to wear thicker socks while you get used to this, but yes, you don't want them fitting too snugly.

I bought a pair of Danskos today. I don't think I could have ordered them online because every pair I tried on (all in the same size) fit me differently. The salesperson explained that this is due to the fact that each pair is handmade. There were so many cute colors. I hope they help.

I switch between a pair of Clarks and Timberlands. They both are slip on, and not the sexiest, but the pain in my feet isn't so bad as it used to be (read; I can sleep at night). Hold your hand out flat. Thats how flat my feet are.

njac said:
you may want to wear thicker socks while you get used to this, but yes, you don't want them fitting too snugly.
The thick socks helped, thanks!
All4MyDaughter said:
I bought a pair of Danskos today. I don't think I could have ordered them online because every pair I tried on (all in the same size) fit me differently. The salesperson explained that this is due to the fact that each pair is handmade. There were so many cute colors. I hope they help.
I wish I had know this before I ordered mine online. :laugh: The size I tried on in the store now feels a little too big in the pair I ordered. Oh well, I can still wear them, so they're not too big.
Shizelbs said:
I switch between a pair of Clarks and Timberlands. They both are slip on, and not the sexiest, but the pain in my feet isn't so bad as it used to be (read; I can sleep at night). Hold your hand out flat. Thats how flat my feet are.
I'm switching between Dansko and Klogs and it's really helped. I know alot of people recommend switching each day, but I'm actually switching them out midday at lunchtime. I'm really amazed at how much better my feet feel. They're still sore, but not as sore once I put them in the cushy Klogs. :thumbup:

I have absolutely no arch, so I know what you mean about flat feet! No fun! My podiatrist once told me that he thinks I chose the wrong field! :laugh:

I wear old school all black Reebok's. They're the ones that don't really look like running shoes. I find them very comfortable and supportive. I also have the foam inserts. I've never had a problem with them and I've been wearing them for a year. They were only $20 at the Reebok outlet

pharmagirl said:
I'm switching between Dansko and Klogs and it's really helped. I know alot of people recommend switching each day, but I'm actually switching them out midday at lunchtime. I'm really amazed at how much better my feet feel. They're still sore, but not as sore once I put them in the cushy Klogs. :thumbup:

:laugh:

Do you think this approach works better than wearing the Klogs all day? I like my Klogs in the morning but by lunchtime my feet are killing me. You've given me an idea. :idea: I'll try anything at this point.

All4MyDaughter said:
Do you think this approach works better than wearing the Klogs all day? I like my Klogs in the morning but by lunchtime my feet are killing me. You've given me an idea. :idea: I'll try anything at this point.
It has been VERY helpful for me. Honestly, my feet were hurting so bad that by the end of the day I wished we had valet parking to bring my car around. :laugh: Something about how soft the Klogs are, it just feels like rehab for my feet after a long morning of standing. I started doing this with the Dankso's just because everyone said it took a little while to get used to them so I didn't want to wear them for a whole shift on the very first day I got them. You should give it a try! Do you get regular lunch breaks? Fortunately we do, and I usually kick my shoes off then anyway.