Do/mba??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it as attractive of a combined degree as an MD/MBA??

I know in practice DOs and MDs are almost equivalent, but the public still isnt as informed as to what a DO is as they are to what an MD is. Since business is often perception and how well you can convince other people you are qualified to handle their money, facilities, investments......etc will an MD/MBA be significantly more helpful than a DO/MBA?

Which would be more helpful in a business setting a DO degree from a good DO school or an MD degree from a good carribean school (St. Georges)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
Is it as attractive of a combined degree as an MD/MBA??

I know in practice DOs and MDs are almost equivalent, but the public still isnt as informed as to what a DO is as they are to what an MD is. Since business is often perception and how well you can convince other people you are qualified to handle their money, facilities, investments......etc will an MD/MBA be significantly more helpful than a DO/MBA?

Which would be more helpful in a business setting a DO degree from a good DO school or an MD degree from a good carribean school (St. Georges)?

Thanks.

I think it would be helpful to know what your career plans are, NRAI2001. There are a variety of careers that make use of business and clinical skills in varying proportions. For example, a medical director would be more clinically based than a chief medical officer. But in general, I doubt that a DO/MBA would be viewed as less qualified than an MD/MBA.

The same does not apply to carribean trained MD's. The general consensus for degree prestige is US MD>DO>foreign MD.

sleepy_dwarf said:
I think it would be helpful to know what your career plans are.

Agree. If you plan to use the combo to do something in the business world -- such as finance, consulting, corporate management, there is a good chance folks doing the hiring won't know a DO is a doctor. There aren't nearly as many DOs out there, and they are completely absent in some regions of the country. If you plan to stay in medicine or health administration, a DO should be fine.
A caribbean credential will be looked at with skepticism in many arenas.