New Guy in need for Answers..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILuv2BMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

Hope everything's going great with ya'll.

I graduated from High School in May 2005. My Father is an M.D. (E.N.T Surgeon) and a Medical Director for a Medical Software Company located in Boston, MA, providing Information Technology solutions to Health Care Industries all over the Country. My mother is a Board Certified Cosmetologist. I am an 18 years old male looking for a Medical School in India so that i could join in August 2006. Myself and my Brother have decided to go to India for Medical Education since it doesn't require an Undergrad program like US (Pre-Med), and you could join Med School right after your High School. It takes 4 and a half yrs and 1 yr Internship to acquire an M.B.B.S Degree (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) which is equivalent to an M.D. Degree (Doctor of Medicine) in US and Canada. After completion of Internship in India, we are planning to come back to US and take the USMLE's to get into a Residency Program of our choice.

Now, I need information on how is Med School life, what are the daily activities and etc. Is there anyone out there who's in a similar situation like me?

I am studying for 4 hours everyday and i need motivation help from you guys who are going through your Med School. I know its alot of Hard Work. My Father is a great help for us two but i would love you'll to share information with me regarding Med School and its studies. How was your first year in Med School?..How many hours do you'll study??...I have lost 39 pounds in 7 months and i would like to know, will there be any time for a student to work out everyday during Med School? i am very excited and ready to enter into the Medical Field. Its like a Mission, and i want to become a Doctor. I would sacrifice everything if i have to, in order to study and be successfull. Please help me out SDN!

Thanks for your valuable time!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear ILuv2BMD,
Fist of all, I'd like to wish you all the best on your journey towards becoming a physician. Since your goal is to ultimately practice in the US, and as you are in the US currently, I would recommend looking into American schools (i.e., completing undergraduate education, taking MCAT, allopathic med school over here). If you are a US FMG (foreign medical graduate) applying for a residency in the US, one question that program directors may ask is "why didn't you go to med school in the US?" Avoiding the US med schools because you don't want to complete an undergraduate education and MCAT's will make you look like a slacker, in my opinion. Moreover, FMG's have more hurdles to overcome when applying to US residency programs.

I'm glad to see that you are spending a good amount of time studying. In medical school, besides attending classes, a significant amount of time (probably >8 hours per day) is spent studying on your own. Also, a significant number of students participate in extracurricular activities, volunteer at clinics, shadow preceptors, or assist with research during their first 2 yrs in med school in the US.

ILuv2BMD said:
Hey SDN,

Hope everything's going great with ya'll.

I graduated from High School in May 2005. My Father is an M.D. (E.N.T Surgeon) and a Medical Director for a Medical Software Company located in Boston, MA, providing Information Technology solutions to Health Care Industries all over the Country. My mother is a Board Certified Cosmetologist. I am an 18 years old male looking for a Medical School in India so that i could join in August 2006. Myself and my Brother have decided to go to India for Medical Education since it doesn't require an Undergrad program like US (Pre-Med), and you could join Med School right after your High School. It takes 4 and a half yrs and 1 yr Internship to acquire an M.B.B.S Degree (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) which is equivalent to an M.D. Degree (Doctor of Medicine) in US and Canada. After completion of Internship in India, we are planning to come back to US and take the USMLE's to get into a Residency Program of our choice.

Now, I need information on how is Med School life, what are the daily activities and etc. Is there anyone out there who's in a similar situation like me?

I am studying for 4 hours everyday and i need motivation help from you guys who are going through your Med School. I know its alot of Hard Work. My Father is a great help for us two but i would love you'll to share information with me regarding Med School and its studies. How was your first year in Med School?..How many hours do you'll study??...I have lost 39 pounds in 7 months and i would like to know, will there be any time for a student to work out everyday during Med School? i am very excited and ready to enter into the Medical Field. Its like a Mission, and i want to become a Doctor. I would sacrifice everything if i have to, in order to study and be successfull. Please help me out SDN!

many doctors trained in India fail the USMLE cuz the education offered in Indian medical schools is not adequate or even substandard in some cases to what the USMLE expects you to know.

I would therefore not take that risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
ljl1982 said:
Dear ILuv2BMD,
Fist of all, I'd like to wish you all the best on your journey towards becoming a physician. Since your goal is to ultimately practice in the US, and as you are in the US currently, I would recommend looking into American schools (i.e., completing undergraduate education, taking MCAT, allopathic med school over here). If you are a US FMG (foreign medical graduate) applying for a residency in the US, one question that program directors may ask is "why didn't you go to med school in the US?" Avoiding the US med schools because you don't want to complete an undergraduate education and MCAT's will make you look like a slacker, in my opinion. Moreover, FMG's have more hurdles to overcome when applying to US residency programs.

I'm glad to see that you are spending a good amount of time studying. In medical school, besides attending classes, a significant amount of time (probably >8 hours per day) is spent studying on your own. Also, a significant number of students participate in extracurricular activities, volunteer at clinics, shadow preceptors, or assist with research during their first 2 yrs in med school in the US.

Thanks for your encouragement, but, myself and my family have decided for me and my brother to go to India for Med School Education. Its takes too long over here and one has to complete his/her undergrad for 4 years in order to step into a Med School. If he/she is not able to get a good score in MCAT, they will not be accepted into a Med School. And its also double the cash compared to India. So all these reasons are leading us to India. But we will be back, since we want to do Internship in US right after Med School in India, and instead of acquiring an M.B.B.S Degree, we would acquire an M.D. Degree even though both are equivalent.

ACDIC - Indian Med Schools are concentrating and training their students for USMLE's these days so do not underestimate India. All the students who are going to India from here, or even people who are coming from India these days, they are all able to top the USMLE's since one of India's main focus today is for their NRI students to succeed in USMLE's. Also, there is alot of extra training for USMLE's in India that you could attend. 1st step of USMLE can be cleared off in India itself during Med School.

Thanks alot folks..

But we will be back, since we want to do Internship in US right after Med School in India, and instead of acquiring an M.B.B.S Degree, we would acquire an M.D. Degree even though both are equivalent.

Is that true? Assuming all NRI's complete their internship year in the US, they all recieve MDs vs MBBS'? I was under the assumption that all Indian students recieve the same degree, regardless if where they complete the internship year in the US or India.

u do not understand what mistake u r going to do.training in India will be a huge disadvantage when u apply for residency in USA...this only a IMG can tell.U have to forget all competitive specialities at all and all ivy leagues no matter what ur USMLE scores are .And u will feel out of place with ur colleagues both in india and back again in USA.

Its a loose-loose situation.Of course if u dont want to study and want to purchase a degree from India thats another matter.

jumpman23 said:
Is that true? Assuming all NRI's complete their internship year in the US, they all recieve MDs vs MBBS'? I was under the assumption that all Indian students recieve the same degree, regardless if where they complete the internship year in the US or India.

Im sorry Jumpman, i asked my dad and he says that even though you come to US and do internship, you would still get an M.B.B.S Degree from India. Let me explain to you. In India, after completion of 4 and a half years, you could request the Indian University and give a reasonable reason and ask them if you could attend a Hospital in U.S.A for Internship. After they give you permission, you could come to US and complete your Internship. After completion, you would go back to India and show them the Certificate that you have completed the Internship, and then, they would reward you with an M.B.B.S Degree.

Caudaute - It would obviously not be as convenient to get into a Residency Program for Indian Graduates compared to an Individual who graduated from US Medical School. But The thing is, Work hard and you will get there. If American graduates are working for residency and putting in 50% effort, us indian graduates have to put in 100% effort to get into the Residency Program of your choice. I have my Uncles and Aunties who all came to US after completion of their Internship in india and joined into a good Residency program of their choice after topping the USMLE's. Its just that, you have to work very hard and have to put in more effort than american graduates in order for a succesfull score in USMLE's and successfull Residency program.

ILuv2BMD

I am good. How are u doin' man? I dunno the reason for you asking me to throw some input in this thread. May be NYer is turning into somekinda weird motivational writer in our famous SDN. Lemme tell this first. People like your father inspire me big time. I guess your dad is also a FOB like some of unfortunates in the india forums who crossed the pond and reached american dream. :thumbup: One poster asked me whether i was offended to be called a FOB. Why would some one should feel sorry for being a FOB? Are FOBs untouchable in america? I have great respect for every FOB/FMG in this country who had the guts to take a plane or boat to come to a new country, work hard, struggle and achieve american dream. Whenever i see a FMG in the hospital, i just think abt the struggle,obstacle and barrier he/she would have endured to wear that white lab coat.

Let us talk abt you. Your dad came from the third world to the greatest country of endless oppurtunity. Dream land. and you want to go back to the third world for your medical education shelling out your dads $$$. What is the problem with you, man? Your dad and mom have worked their ass off to reach the current stage in their career. and you want to fly to india for medical education without a drop of sweat?

How did you lose your 39 pounds in 7 months? by studying for 4 hours a day continously? Dont tell me you lost your weight because of this short marathon study. If that is the case india would be losing medical students every single day because of cachexia. Those poor folks study for 28 hours a day.
If i were in your shoes, i would do things totally different. I will give my blood and sweat, heart and soul and everything what you said ( sacrifice/mission) to get into atleast harvard medschool by my own sincere efforts. No one could stop me. even god. If something happens, if i lose the medschool battle, there would be always a back up plan. I will take over my dad's US software business and expand it into international business. I will take it to wall street.
If your father from a third world country could become a ENT surgeon and run a successfull software company in the united states. Think about you. You are his son who has every oppurtunity in the whole world to achieve things greater than him. Reach higher. It is a shame if you use his money and complete a medical education without struggle. This will haunt you for ever. It is absolutely OK if you dont want to fight in life and do things without a sweat. Dont take my message personally. I am writing this just because you asked my input.

Do you know what is the greatest thing a son can do to his father? Beat his own dad in achievements. That is the only thing which can make a dad proud.
What can make your mom prouder? Marrying a woman prettier than her.

There might be many other reasons for your option of going to medschool to india. I have no idea about your personal situation. I am not discouraging you abt going to medschool in India. Let us discuss abt this further if you are interested.

ILuv2BMD,

u just finished high school and u have a narrow view of the medical training in the US. We are medical students or residents with years of experience and knowledge that you lack. So stop acting like that you kno everything.

Lemme tell you, IMGs are denied residency in the top programs in the country. I have nothing against IMGs but they face a difficult time matching into the most competitive programs in the US such as optho, ortho ped surg, derms, rads etc. In fact some programs in the US refuse to look at IMG applications even though they are exceptionally smart as their American peers.

Doing well on the USMLE depends on what school you go to and how they prepare u for it. Taking a prep course doesnt help a lot compared to getting a solid education. Now if you get into a top med school in India such as AIIMS, then thats a different story.

You also mention the cost. American medical schools are definitely more expensive that Indian schools, but you have to look what you are getting. A Mercedes car is more expensive than a Ford or a GM, because of its exceptional quality.

I am not going to stop you from pursuing in India, but I am only trying to encourage you to look at both sides of the coin.

Good Luck

My father himself wants me and my brother both to go to India and finish our Med Education. This was all decided in a short period of time. In America, its too long, and my dad and mom wouldnt have the capability to support us financially for 10 more yrs throughout our education. They have worked very hard all their life to come up, and now me and my brother would not want to make them suffer for the rest of our lives. We always wanted to be a doctor like our dad and this is the best opportunity we'll get to prove ourselves and become one.

ASDIC - People who have juz migrated to US after completion of MBBS, will have a tough time getting into Residency in US. But people who has a Green Card/Citizenship, they are easily accepted into top Residency programs. Thats a known fact, one of my Aunties, who graduated from India, who moved to US after completion of her MBBS, has took the USMLE's in Massachussetts and scored well. She got into Internal Medicine in 1996 and now she's practicing in UMASS Memorial. But her brother, who is not a Citizen/Green Card holder, also graduated from India, and has took his USMLE's and scored well. But he is still not able to get into a Residency Program since 2 years since he is looking for a hospital which could sponsor his H1 for his Legal stay in America. So there are different things that counts in order for an individual to get into Residency. My other uncle is a CardioThoracic Surgeon, he has successfully entered into a Residency program in the US after completing his MBBS in India. He married a girl who had a green card prior to him joining Residency so that helped him get into a Residency and do Fellowship.

Thanks for all your input guys...

if ya'll have AIM or Yahoo Messenger, just private message me with your User ID so i could get more information on this stuff...

Thanks once again..

ILuv2BMD said:
My father himself wants me and my brother both to go to India and finish our Med Education. This was all decided in a short period of time. In America, its too long, and my dad and mom wouldnt have the capability to support us financially for 10 more yrs throughout our education. They have worked very hard all their life to come up, and now me and my brother would not want to make them suffer for the rest of our lives. We always wanted to be a doctor like our dad and this is the best opportunity we'll get to prove ourselves and become one.

ASDIC - People who have juz migrated to US after completion of MBBS, will have a tough time getting into Residency in US. But people who has a Green Card/Citizenship, they are easily accepted into top Residency programs. Thats a known fact, one of my Aunties, who graduated from India, who moved to US after completion of her MBBS, has took the USMLE's in Massachussetts and scored well. She got into Internal Medicine in 1996 and now she's practicing in UMASS Memorial. But her brother, who is not a Citizen/Green Card holder, also graduated from India, and has took his USMLE's and scored well. But he is still not able to get into a Residency Program since 2 years since he is looking for a hospital which could sponsor his H1 for his Legal stay in America. So there are different things that counts in order for an individual to get into Residency. My other uncle is a CardioThoracic Surgeon, he has successfully entered into a Residency program in the US after completing his MBBS in India. He married a girl who had a green card prior to him joining Residency so that helped him get into a Residency and do Fellowship.

Thanks for all your input guys...

if ya'll have AIM or Yahoo Messenger, just private message me with your User ID so i could get more information on this stuff...

Thanks once again..

Good luck in whatever decision you take in your life, buddy. This is your own life.
You live in Boston. Mecca of medical education, Harrods of medschool and Tiffanys of medical research is just in your backyard. Harvard medschool. and you want to fly thousand of miles away leaving your family without even trying a greatest oppurtunity to study in the worlds best medschool. Hmmmm. it really hurts me. honestly. The greatest risk in life is not taking one.

whatever man, it is so easy to give advice to others in the internet forum. I dunno whether i could make my dad proud by beating his achievements. His shoes are too big to fill in. anyway i am gonna seriously try to make my mummy proud. ;)

Cheers.

3.jpg

ILuv2BMD said:
My father himself wants me and my brother both to go to India and finish our Med Education. This was all decided in a short period of time. In America, its too long, and my dad and mom wouldnt have the capability to support us financially for 10 more yrs throughout our education. They have worked very hard all their life to come up, and now me and my brother would not want to make them suffer for the rest of our lives.

why do your parents have to support you and your brother financially?? have you heard about LOANS/FINANCIAL AID? :) you are still in high school so chill out. your experiences during your undergrad years will make you a better, more mature person. you have the rest of your life to work as an MD and a couple of extra years might decrease your savings by half a million dollars in the long run but you are definitely taking a risk going to India.

im from an indian med school!!!!!
guys the indian studs are sure hardworking and very laborious.
even without coaching and improper guidance they sure crack >95 in usmle.
but if you have a option of studyin in us, do it.!!!!!!!!!!!
u'll have to suffer a setback as compared to US grads even if you have a green card...............consider the plight of carib grads...u'll be worse than them.
in some cases i think they prefer a FMGs coz they know if he has good scores, he must be rockstar grad from his own school;
but if u leave usa for grad school, they'll think that u didnt get into one, thats y u left usa.
even if slight its gonna make a difference.............try to think of it.
the indian grads r best studs, but the foreign studs who come here do get distracted and waste their time. my relative whoi grad from bangalore from a good college ....had scores of 78 and 85 and he didint even a get an interview. he's a us citizen.
try to find more info than go for india.
if i were at your place i'd better be flipping burgers in med school of usa than enjoying or burning my brains in india. india is known for talent, but i dont think foreign studs could do well here. they take a lot of time adapting to the loose style on indian weather, teaching etc.
best of luck. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone!!..

medisid - well im willing to get adjusted to India's weather, teaching etc etc. Its not like i will be messin up all my life when i come to India. I'm coming there for some purpose and willing to slog to Become a Doctor. My situation is different from most of the people in the forums. My dad is a doctor himself, and we want to be like him. He is supporting us in everything and we are willing to sacrifice everything. We are interested and passioned to study Medicine. If we have to come back to USA and struggle for Residency, we will, but we sure will get into a Residency Program in US if we have good scores and have been a good student throughout our MBBS course. My aunt, she was interested in Cardiology and came to US married a green card holder right after her completion of MBBS, and she gave her USMLE's and scored pretty descent and she got into Internal Medicine. After one year of Residency in Internal Medicine, the Chief of cardiology staff was interested in her work and transferred her to Cardiology Program. They gave her 1 year credit and she didnt have to do it for 5 years, but only 4 years for Cardiology. She proved herself and now shes a Cardiologist. We have to find ways in order to get into Top Residency programs and yes, it's true that American Med Graduates will be given first priority but we'll have to stay competitive and win the battle for the top residency programs by scoring very good in USMLE's, having strong Recommendation letters from US Doctors (My aunt, Uncle, Dad, Cousin), and also, my dad's friend whos a doctor, is a very reputed doctor who worked in Harvard and has alot of contacts and also by having a green card. So many many ways are possible in order to get into Top Residency programs.

The burning question I have is....... why?

yes yes yes....i know your father is a physician, you have family who have made it ok, you are a citizen/GC holder, you father wants to support you, you will work hard (you are not unique in these aspects)....

But whats the point? You will only save 2 years ... are you in such a rush? you are young and have plenty of time, you may even have to do a prelim year or research year to become competitive for residency depending on which specialty you desire (which would nullify the 2 years). What specialty are you interested in by the way?

Why don't you apply for loans? --your father can partially support you, the rest you can pay off yourself. If you get into an in-state school, or apply for scholarships, fees are not that different (even cheaper!).

Why dont you apply to a 6/7 year program in the states? --what are your stats (gpa, AP subjects/scores, SAT scores, ECs)? they are highly competitive programs.

Why dont you apply to an MD/PhD program? you tuition will be paid for and you will be HIGHLY competitive for any residency you desire though this track takes longer.

Why do you even want to be a physician? seems like you might be doing this for the wrong reasons, because daddy is a doctor doesnt mean you have to be, what kind of exposure have you had to patients? any clinical experience/shadowing/volunteering?

The USMLE will determine your fate in the US (even if you are top in your class in india). Its a one shot deal assuming you pass---cant retake to get better scores. There might be multiple factors that affect your score (you might not be the smartest tool in the shed, might have a bad day on the exam, not prepared properly by school, didnt study enough) Its risky to put all your eggs in one basket. If you were a genius to begin with, India would not be your top choice (not bc india is bad but bc you would be able to get into a US school)

The examples that you stated are the exception, not the the rule. You say you will sacrifice everything / work hard, which is all the more reason to work towards a good US school. Your posts seem a bit naive, like you dont know what you are getting yourself into....

Unless you are happy with FP in a crappy hospital, i would consider all possibilities. Im not saying its impossible because many people do it, but these are the brilliant ones.

oh, and research opportunities are much greater in the states which is starting to become a must to residency applicants....

This post was not to belittle you but to give you a dose of reality. I hope you gained some knowledge and learned about a few other options at your disposal. I wish you success in your pursuits, and ask any Q's if you like.

ps.... answer the various q's i posed above and i will reply with some more info (if you want it).

Chandy said:
The burning question I have is....... why?

yes yes yes....i know your father is a physician, you have family who have made it ok, you are a citizen/GC holder, you father wants to support you, you will work hard (you are not unique in these aspects)....

But whats the point? You will only save 2 years ... are you in such a rush? you are young and have plenty of time, you may even have to do a prelim year or research year to become competitive for residency depending on which specialty you desire (which would nullify the 2 years). What specialty are you interested in by the way?

Why don't you apply for loans? --your father can partially support you, the rest you can pay off yourself. If you get into an in-state school, or apply for scholarships, fees are not that different (even cheaper!).

Why dont you apply to a 6/7 year program in the states? --what are your stats (gpa, AP subjects/scores, SAT scores, ECs)? they are highly competitive programs.

Why dont you apply to an MD/PhD program? you tuition will be paid for and you will be HIGHLY competitive for any residency you desire though this track takes longer.

Why do you even want to be a physician? seems like you might be doing this for the wrong reasons, because daddy is a doctor doesnt mean you have to be, what kind of exposure have you had to patients? any clinical experience/shadowing/volunteering?

The USMLE will determine your fate in the US (even if you are top in your class in india). Its a one shot deal assuming you pass---cant retake to get better scores. There might be multiple factors that affect your score (you might not be the smartest tool in the shed, might have a bad day on the exam, not prepared properly by school, didnt study enough) Its risky to put all your eggs in one basket. If you were a genius to begin with, India would not be your top choice (not bc india is bad but bc you would be able to get into a US school)

The examples that you stated are the exception, not the the rule. You say you will sacrifice everything / work hard, which is all the more reason to work towards a good US school. Your posts seem a bit naive, like you dont know what you are getting yourself into....

Unless you are happy with FP in a crappy hospital, i would consider all possibilities. Im not saying its impossible because many people do it, but these are the brilliant ones.

oh, and research opportunities are much greater in the states which is starting to become a must to residency applicants....

This post was not to belittle you but to give you a dose of reality. I hope you gained some knowledge and learned about a few other options at your disposal. I wish you success in your pursuits, and ask any Q's if you like.

ps.... answer the various q's i posed above and i will reply with some more info (if you want it).

Chandy, you said i'll be saving only 2 years??...Isnt the undergrad program 4 years in US, and then a half yr is wasted for Interviews, Rec Letters and etc etc. It takes about 4 and a half yrs for the undergrad prog, and then you'll finally step into Medical School. I do not wish to go through undergrad over here. Just going to a Medical School in India for 4 and a half years, and 1 year internship for MBBS (USA MD equivalent), is good!..

The speciality, that i am highest to Least interested is, Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Neuro Surgery, E.N.T Surgery, Plastic Surgery, or Internal Medicine. Offcourse my interests will not be the same when i go through Med school and it may change as im progressing through my education.

Ever since i was six years old, my father, always used to take me to his Operations. Noone was allowed into the Operation Theatre, but, i was the lucky one who was allowed to go with him. He used to have 4 or 5 nurses, anesthetists surrounding him, and my dad used to operate on a persons ear, nose and throat. The feeling i felt in the theatre while dad was operating was so awesome i thought since then, that i will become a doctor. Its just awesome, and i cant put it in words how it is. After the surgery, the loved ones of the patients come and thank my dad and i;ve been through it and love it. I want to become a doctor and study hard to treat patients and save lives. Being a doctor is an awesome feeling, doctors are next to god since they save peoples lives. I've went to hospitals where my dad treats patients and the whole process my dad goes through, throughout the day is awesome. Its not a schedule that he has, its just that, whenever, wherever, a call comes and you have to be rushing. Prestige, Money is Secondary, but saving peoples lives, and the training you go through the Residency and Medical School is just undescrible. Books will be your best friend, and nothing matters other than studies. I am wishing to learn new everyday and i have alreayd made up my mind. My family is encouraging it, and if possible, please provide me certain details like, how is Med school in india, teachers??...social activities, classes, books, how many hours you have to study for 1st year etc etc...man i appreciate your input alot and your totally kickass!!...Thanks chandy, and no you did not discourage me or belittle me in any way, i understand your trying to talk sense but, its just my situation is different and i appreciate it once again.

Thanks alot!!

iLuv2BMD

I agree with Chandy..you are young, and perhaps uninformed or in this for the wrong reasons. While it is great that you have a role model in your father, that should not be the deciding factor when you apply to med school. Especially in the US, no residency program cares if your father is an ENT surgeon, or runs a company, etc.

If you don't want to work hard and study 4 yrs undergrad in the US...I seriously question your dedication. What residency program wants to take a student who is looking for the easy way out. Also, if you have enough AP credits from high school, you can finish you undergrad in 3 years (like I did).

There is no guarantee that you will get an internship in the US even if your board scores are stellar. You will be seen as a foreign graduate...a US IMG (probably worse than an Indian citizen indian med school graduate, since you had the opportunity to study in the US but chose not to).

You can probably cross off ENT and CT surgery coming as a foreign grad (especially as a us citizen img). ENT is hard enough for US students (AOA, top board scores, research,etc) to match into.

While it is nice that your father let you observe surgeries from a young age, that alone should not be the reason why you want to become a physician. Have you done hospital volunteering or research? Do YOU want to practice medicine, or are you doing this to please your parents or because you haven't looked into other career options??

I too wanted to go into medicine at a young age, and was fortunate enough to be accepted into a combined BS-MD program out of high school. You have already graduated high school, so this is probably not an option for you. Either way, I would strongly encourage you to rethink your decision to attend medical school in India without even trying in the US.

Some good books you might want to check out: "Getting into a Residency" by Kenneth Iserson, and "First Aid for the Match" by Tao Le,et.al.

All the best!
~An MS3
-------------
ILuv2BMD said:
Chandy, you said i'll be saving only 2 years??...Isnt the undergrad program 4 years in US, and then a half yr is wasted for Interviews, Rec Letters and etc etc. It takes about 4 and a half yrs for the undergrad prog, and then you'll finally step into Medical School. I do not wish to go through undergrad over here. Just going to a Medical School in India for 4 and a half years, and 1 year internship for MBBS (USA MD equivalent), is good!..

The speciality, that i am highest to Least interested is, Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Neuro Surgery, E.N.T Surgery, Plastic Surgery, or Internal Medicine. Offcourse my interests will not be the same when i go through Med school and it may change as im progressing through my education.

Ever since i was six years old, my father, always used to take me to his Operations. Noone was allowed into the Operation Theatre, but, i was the lucky one who was allowed to go with him. He used to have 4 or 5 nurses, anesthetists surrounding him, and my dad used to operate on a persons ear, nose and throat. The feeling i felt in the theatre while dad was operating was so awesome i thought since then, that i will become a doctor. Its just awesome, and i cant put it in words how it is. After the surgery, the loved ones of the patients come and thank my dad and i;ve been through it and love it. I want to become a doctor and study hard to treat patients and save lives. Being a doctor is an awesome feeling, doctors are next to god since they save peoples lives. I've went to hospitals where my dad treats patients and the whole process my dad goes through, throughout the day is awesome. Its not a schedule that he has, its just that, whenever, wherever, a call comes and you have to be rushing. Prestige, Money is Secondary, but saving peoples lives, and the training you go through the Residency and Medical School is just undescrible. Books will be your best friend, and nothing matters other than studies. I am wishing to learn new everyday and i have alreayd made up my mind. My family is encouraging it, and if possible, please provide me certain details like, how is Med school in india, teachers??...social activities, classes, books, how many hours you have to study for 1st year etc etc...man i appreciate your input alot and your totally kickass!!...Thanks chandy, and no you did not discourage me or belittle me in any way, i understand your trying to talk sense but, its just my situation is different and i appreciate it once again.

Thanks alot!!

iLuv2BMD

ljl1982 said:
I agree with Chandy..you are young, and perhaps uninformed or in this for the wrong reasons. While it is great that you have a role model in your father, that should not be the deciding factor when you apply to med school. Especially in the US, no residency program cares if your father is an ENT surgeon, or runs a company, etc.

If you don't want to work hard and study 4 yrs undergrad in the US...I seriously question your dedication. What residency program wants to take a student who is looking for the easy way out. Also, if you have enough AP credits from high school, you can finish you undergrad in 3 years (like I did).

There is no guarantee that you will get an internship in the US even if your board scores are stellar. You will be seen as a foreign graduate...a US IMG (probably worse than an Indian citizen indian med school graduate, since you had the opportunity to study in the US but chose not to).

You can probably cross off ENT and CT surgery coming as a foreign grad (especially as a us citizen img). ENT is hard enough for US students (AOA, top board scores, research,etc) to match into.

While it is nice that your father let you observe surgeries from a young age, that alone should not be the reason why you want to become a physician. Have you done hospital volunteering or research? Do YOU want to practice medicine, or are you doing this to please your parents or because you haven't looked into other career options??

I too wanted to go into medicine at a young age, and was fortunate enough to be accepted into a combined BS-MD program out of high school. You have already graduated high school, so this is probably not an option for you. Either way, I would strongly encourage you to rethink your decision to attend medical school in India without even trying in the US.

Some good books you might want to check out: "Getting into a Residency" by Kenneth Iserson, and "First Aid for the Match" by Tao Le,et.al.

All the best!
~An MS3
-------------

Well, first thing, i do not want to do anything else other than study my butt off and become a doctor. That's what i wanted to be all my life and still that's my aim. I will not give up no matter how hard of a phase i'll be going through throughout my med school. I know that i have the dedication, and if it wasnt for dedication, i wouldnt even think of Med school and giving up my youth to study and become a physician. Im willing to sacrifice to any extent if i have to in order to serve people and help them with cures. I know i have that desire to become a physician. Yes, my father is an inspiration, thats natural, having a dad whos a successfull smart person is naturally an inspiration for his offspring. I 100% do not agree that he's a physician, thats why i want to become one. Its not completely based on that, its just a part of my reasons that i want to become a doctor. I went to UMASS Medical School 3 weeks ago becuase my dad had to buy a book, and thats the first time i entered a Medical School....i was so thrilled looking at students and faculty who were dignified people dressed in descent white coat with stethescope around their necks. I Entered the library and have seen beautifully illustrated books which were so enthusiastic for me. I really felt something when i went there. But, yes, i would like to do Medicine over here, but i would also want to take the risk and go to India and work hard and top the USMLE's. It's like, my life is dependent on this 4 and a half years of Med school and i have to prove that i could become a good Student and score good on exams and join a good residency program. One has to be ambitious in order for success to greater heights, so even if i get a good score and have not been selected to bigger residency specialities, i would still joing the program and try my level best to transfer to the one i wished to join.

So people, i have not enjoyed my high school too, but even though i dont regret because i know med school is like an adventure and its totally a different world. The people, books, environment, dissections, all those stuff has inspired me....i will do this and would never want to give up the dream of becoming a doctor, not just a doctor, but will try my level best to become a good physician, not a bad physician...So, as im progressing through these years, i will have to stay ambitious and aim for even higher, thats the only way i would be successfull in life. Dream big, but not so big that you cant touch, but to a reasonable distance. Taking one step at a time will eventually get you to the top of the stairs. But will take alot of dedication and hard work....and that, im willing to develop throughout my Med Career as i've already started to develop that desire and passion to serve the people...

Sincerely..

Luv2beMD....

Something just doesnt seem right with your posts.... your rhetoric sounds naive and you words are poorly constructed. You just want to "help people" and "find cures"..... this viewpoint sounds a little childish and that you dont have a strong grasp about what being a physician and what medical school entails....

A question for you:

You have know you have wanted to be a doctor since in the womb, yet you didnt get the grades to be able to get into a strong undergrad or med school in the states..... so what makes you think you will be top of your class in India?

(The reason i know you didnt do great is because if you DID have a 4.0 gpa and >1400 on your SAT there is NO WAY you would be going to school in India...)

It all smells a bit fishy to me....

oh yeah, school in india is 4.5 years, but you need to complete internship to receive your degree (im pretty sure) which makes it 5.5 years, at which point you wont be able to apply for residency until the next cycle so its essentially 6 yrs before you enter residency (=savings of 2 years)

ENT and Neurosurgery are out of the picture if you do med school in India, unless you find the cure to cancer... like the previous poster said, your dad being an ENT physician is useless, unless he is an academician.

CT might not be so unattainable, because you just need to get into a general surgery residency first (which is still freaking difficult for Indian IMG) but CT surgery is a fellowship and after you have completed residency, the school you went to matters much less.

And as the previous poster said, its worse to be a US citizen IMG versus a Foreign medical grad (FMG) because residencies will essentially think that you were not intelligent enough to get into a US med school and had to go offshore.

BUT so as i dont discourage you:

medicine is a noble profession, and wherever you go to attain your degree you will be getting an MD. And even though it might be a million times harder for you, its not impossible. I'm sure you are dedicated and will do fine wherever you train, whichever choice you make. I give you this advice because if i could do it over again i would have stayed in the states (i school in europe). I was not the great student in high school but am now in the top 5 of my class in med school, so you never know..... but it has been difficult for me as i am interested in a competitive specialty.... there is a saying cant quite remember exactly how it goes..... a wise man learns from his mistakes, a REALLY wise man learns from other mistakes.

GOOD LUCK!

Chandy, few things that i wanted to make it clear for you...my high school gpa was 3.6 and SAT score was 1130...I can easily be accepte into University of Mass with those grades.

Second thing, in US, 4 years undergrad is a must...and 4 yrs med, and then 1 yr internship.

In india, 4 and a half yrs med, 1 yr internship, and then come to States, write USMLE's and get into a Residency program. So how many years are you saving since you wouldnt do undergrad???...well 4 years...

And as you quoted, i want to help people and find cures???...if you want to criticize my statement and say its childish, then go ahead...its not gonna matter much to me since i know what im talking about. this topic is just a brief message to you guys to let ya'll know what i want to do. The feelings, and everything else will come on later during Med School life. The interests that you'll develop and interactions with the patients and faculty staff will change you forever, and today, i might not know what im really gettin into, but all i know is, im very very very very interested in Medicine. I might sound childish on some of the things i say, but its just that, im very excited to get into med school where its truly gonna be an adventure that you will never forget throughout your life. I understand im a high school graduate and i wouldnt know completely about certain pros and cons about Med, but i am willing to learn and develop those skills and i know i will during MEd School...

As you said "CT might not be so unattainable, because you just need to get into a general surgery residency first (which is still freaking difficult for Indian IMG) but CT surgery is a fellowship and after you have completed residency, the school you went to matters much less.", yes i do know that you will have to do 5 yrs in general surgery and can do fellowship in neuro or CT....its not like, i will 100% not get into Surgical Residency, i mean, its not impossible right???...if you work your ass off and be as hard working as you can, then you sure can go to any extent in the sense of being successfull...

Also as you said "And as the previous poster said, its worse to be a US citizen IMG versus a Foreign medical grad (FMG) because residencies will essentially think that you were not intelligent enough to get into a US med school and had to go offshore."....well they wouldnt have the chance to think like that since i havent even tried to get into a College after high school. If i failed in college, then they would have an idea that this guy might not be applicable to US Med school based on the scores, so that's y, he might';ve went offshore for Med Education. But anywayz, we'll cross the bridge when we get there....

And finally, thanks for the words of encouragement dude, well, man i am not able to express to you how interested im in going in this field. Its just too exciting and, once anything gets into my brain, i do not leave it until i accomplish it...I was 210 pounds in August, and with will power, dedication, diet and Exercise, i have reduced to 171...39 pounds in total...so i know that this has helped me towards the goal of me deciding on going to a Med School...

Sincerely,

iLuv2BMD

luv2bemd -- i admire your fervor, it will take you far.

few things to clarify:

1.) quick math lesson

India is 4.5 + 1 = 5.5, waiting to apply for next cycle = 6 months, total = 6 YEARS.

USA is 4 yrs undergrad +4 years med = 8 years (internship in US is part of residency)

so the difference is 2 years, very easy to make it 1 year if you graduate undergrad in 3 yrs (AP credits/ spring or summer classes)

2.) neurosurgery is NOT a fellowship after general surgery, only CT is so in reality you can throw NSGY out the window.

3.) with stats of 3.6 and 1130 you are below average in terms of the US med students (sorry but its the truth). The SAT and verbal section of MCAT have been shown to correlate well with your usmle step 1 score --- which is bad news for you real bad news.

Med school in india is harder than med school in the states. Med school in the states is 1000x more difficult than high school. The reason the US usually requires an undergrad degree is because they feel that high school students are less mature, and have less perspective and experience. I believe this is so true in your case (but I was exactly like you -- did med after high school and im in the final year of a 6 year program) but then again i did not have these utopian views on med school and medicine.

It seems like you want to take the easy way out. You want to go to a school that requires less money, grades, time. That in itself will speak of your dedication to medicine.

let me know if you have questions.

Chandy said:

few things to clarify:

1.) quick math lesson

India is 4.5 + 1 = 5.5, waiting to apply for next cycle = 6 months, total = 6 YEARS.

USA is 4 yrs undergrad +4 years med = 8 years (internship in US is part of residency)

so the difference is 2 years, very easy to make it 1 year if you graduate undergrad in 3 yrs (AP credits/ spring or summer classes)

2.) neurosurgery is NOT a fellowship after general surgery, only CT is so in reality you can throw NSGY out the window.

3.) with stats of 3.6 and 1130 you are below average in terms of the US med students (sorry but its the truth). The SAT and verbal section of MCAT have been shown to correlate well with your usmle step 1 score --- which is bad news for you real bad news.

Med school in india is harder than med school in the states. Med school in the states is 1000x more difficult than high school. The reason the US usually requires an undergrad degree is because they feel that high school students are less mature, and have less perspective and experience. I believe this is so true in your case (but I was exactly like you -- did med after high school and im in the final year of a 6 year program) but then again i did not have these utopian views on med school and medicine.

It seems like you want to take the easy way out. You want to go to a school that requires less money, grades, time. That in itself will speak of your dedication to medicine.

let me know if you have questions.

1. Chandy, time is very essential, and if im able to save those 2 years, then im very glad!!

2. We'll cross the bridge when we get there...i dont know what experiences i'll be going through the Med School, so i might be thinkin abt CT, i mean my opinions on specialities might be different at the stage and will maybe pick another speciality, who knows??

3. High School grades doesnt matter, all it matters is till your 1st year Undergrad when they see your scores and stuff for college admission..for Med School, only MCAT, and undergrad GPA is required and i might be the top student in my undergrad college and maybe will even be able to go to Harvard based on the score i get in MCAT/Rec Letters/Strong Essay/GPA, you know what im saying. Its not like, o i got 1130 in SAT, so i'll do really bad in MCAT....that thinking is just stupidity...Even High School students who have not excelled in High School can get into a Med School in US if they have a good GPA, MCAT, Rec Letters and Essay. And also, certain contacts will be a great help for you...

I do know that High School education system in America Sucks ass compared to India. India 6 grade = 12 grade in US. Ive been through it. Thats why they did create this Pre Med Undergrad program for students who want to do Medicine. And during these 4 years, they train you so that you can be leveled with an Indian 12th graduate.

As you said It seems like you want to take the easy way out. You want to go to a school that requires less money, grades, time. That in itself will speak of your dedication to medicine. ...well are you tryna say that anyone who is going to India from States for Med education after high school has no dedication whatsoever towards medicine...

Sincerely,

iluv2bmd

hey dude........... MAKING A BIG MISTAKE......................!!!!

after mbbs in india U have to waste your time as to get into residency and take USMLE.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and its not EASY to get residency who graduated out side USA /canada...

GOD BLESS U.....!! :mad:

From someone who has also considered going to India for med school, lemme tell you that u should exhaust all ur options here before u decide to go there

Although Indian med schools take less time to complete and are cheaper, an MBBS does not offer the same flexibility that an MD from the US will. With an American MD, you can pretty much practice in most places, even in India. But to practice here as an FMG, you'll have to face considerable challenges. If it's the money issue, everyone here takes out loans in med schools, even those whose parents can afford to pay for it. If you're afraid of not getting in to an US med school, I would say as a high school graduate your knowledge of what it takes is limited at this point.
The medical field is tough and competitive as it is, there's really no reason you should complicate your life by closing off options. My parents have told me about the FMG who aced his usmle and got a radiology residency and while these exceptions may exist, this is certainly not the norm.

Even if you end up not getting into an US med school after applying more than once here, I would consider the caribbean before going to India, just because at least the top Caribbean schools offer US rotations for 3rd and 4th yr.

Another reason for finishing college before going to med school is that there's a certain degree of maturity to be acquired before u start med school. Although many desi parents may not understand the "college experience", there's a certain maturity you come out w/ as a college graduate. Furthermore, as a high school graduate, you mite change ur mind abt medicine and I think it's a huge mistake going to medicine without having some life experiences first, whether academic or social. Trust me, you'll lose more than you'll gain by not going to college first and going directly to med school...

Even if you went to an Indian med school, the amount of competition you would be facing as a FMG would be staggering. Consider this: a top school in the caribbean graduates about 900 students a year, all FMGs, who will do 3rd and 4th rotations in the US, and who will have an advantage over you...if you consider all the schools in the caribbean and europe that have affiliated programs in the US, u can barely imagine how much competition ull be facing as an FMG! To me, after putting my youth, time, effort and money into a profession, it would not be worth the risk to bank my professional future on luck or chance.

Just my 2 cents...sorry for the long post and good luck w/ ur decision :thumbup:

luv2bmd
Do whatever you think is correct..ppl can only guide you and help you
but final decision is what you have to make...all pp do make sense and they only want to tell you something that they have felt from their previous experiences..I wont ask you to change your decision but do have a review b4 coming to India for MedSkool..Its not easy out in India at all...But with firm determination anything can be possible...You can be a trendsetter
Its all in You..So my best wishes..for you whatever you think is more correct..and beneficial.

Common Chandy i know the grading in US is standard but these standards are also comparitive and been created by Humans...A grade cannot decide what you are.and what you can do in ur futute .there are many factors which take part..
I believe even a moment can change life..People learn a lot in Life.with time..May be Time is to come for him to improve .so there is nothing for iluvtobmd to be sorry for..and feel bad.

Chandy said:
few things to clarify:

Rahul,

Thanks alot for your kind words...well we are in the last stages of getting admissions into a Medical College in Hyderabad. I do know that, USMLe's will be a troublesome experience for us, but in order for us to excel in the exams, and get into a good Residency Program, we will have to work hard and we are willing to. We will take Kaplan courses in India, and we have our uncle/aunties who are in India; professors teaching in Medical Colleges. So that's a great help, but once again, thanks for all the advise guys...really appreciate it.

-Later

i am going 2 india for medical school this summer...where r u going?? and what books do u use to study from..

A few thoughts...
1) First off, some more Math lessons: Med School in India: 4.5(study) + 1 (Internship) + 6 months till application time. After this, IF you have completed Step 1,2 and CS, and are ECFMG certified by September, you can, maybe, think of applying for the cycle which will take another year to begin residency. Hence, total = 7 years, AT BEST. Like me. I entered Med school in 1999. I am entering residency in 2006, 7 years. This is the EARLIEST anyone I know form the 1999 batch has begun. I am not talking theoretically, this is the true reality. This is not including the time you might need to spend doing research, getting experience, bolstering your CV in order to apply to competitive branches, or competitive places. People from my batch are doing that as well, and hope to join next year at best..Total time for them: 8 years. Your "saving time" reason is childish prattle, and is best left out of future posts.

2) Should you get stellar scores (95+/95+) and decent experience and reccos, you might think of doing something as competitive as Int Med. Believe me, Int Med these days is INSANE, with 99/99 people from India not getting the top ranking CALLS their peers got 3-4 years ago, leave alone the places they matched into. It is not as big a deal to get these high scores anymore as it was a few years ago. The programs are now like" Ok, you got 99/99. What else? Any Research? Papers?". As for surgery, there was ONE unmatched position at the end of this year's match, and NONE in ENT. Just a reality check.

3) You say you will do it, that you are dedicated, hard working, sincere..Well, if that was all the case, why cant you do it in the US? Here, as far as I can make out, the Loan/ Financial Aid scene is great for the citizens who want to go to school. Granted by the end of Undergrad + Med School you could have a $100,000 loan..but so what? You could pay it off in a few years, no matter what redsidency you join. Do you really think all AMGs going to med school can depend on daddy's benevolence? They all take loans, struggle for years through paying it off, so why cant you? Why depend on your father's hard earned money to do things you can do for yourself? If AMGs work 50% and youi are willing to work 100% as you so boldly claimed, why not do so here, and go to a really hot-shot place to do a hot-shot residency (say, Rads in MGH)? Afterall, people do go there every year..so why cant it be you that one year?

4) If you have made up your mind already that going to India for Med School is what you want to do, why bother asking on an anonymous online forum? NOT ONE person has said it is a good idea, and the words of encouragement are mainly because you are fresh out of High School and everyone is nostalgic for the time when they were young and innocent, and dont want to be harsh on you.

It really seems you have made up your mind, as you are seeking affirmation rather than advice as to your course of action. If so, stop wasting time online and start studying right now! A lot of the stuff you do in your first year, your peers in Med School did during their prep to get in. Physiology, Biochem, basic Anatomy..they would already know that stuff pat. Inspite of having given the enterance exam they have been preparing for 2 years for barely 4 months before entering Med School, EVERYONE struggles. The stuff you are expected to know, the environment they bombard you with, the sheer capriciousness of the profs in what score they give you..all these are factors they are familiar with, and still struggle to cope with. And then, there is the ragging.

Whatever you choose, remember, taking the easy way out NEVER pays in the end. Especially in Medicine.

This isn't a good idea. Consider the following:

Let's say you're very very very lucky and work very very very hard and you somehow get an interview for one of the programs you want and the director asks you "Why did you go to India for medical school when you're from the US?" And as far as I can tell the best answer you can give him is basically "I wanted to take a short-cut." How does that sound to you?

I hear about these kids who go to India to go to medical school all the time. I never hear about these kids coming back to do residency in the US. I have never met a single one that actually did it. I'm sure there are a few out there, but I haven't met them and I've met a lot of residents.

Lastly, you said:
"by scoring very good in USMLE's, having strong Recommendation letters from US Doctors (My aunt, Uncle, Dad, Cousin), and also, my dad's friend whos a doctor, is a very reputed doctor who worked in Harvard"

OK. This is what made me want to respond to your post. This is ridiculous. You're gonna get letters of recommendation from family members??? OK, it just doesnt work that way, my friend. Why not work hard and get REAL letters of recommendations?

If you wanna do a little experiment, go to radiology and ENT Dept websites and see who the residents are and count how many are foriegn grads. If that doesn't scare you straight, nothing will.

This is sort of going on a tangent, but anybody who posts on this forum, please speak in proper English. None of this "wat does it take 2 go 2 india" bull****; despite what little you may think of it, it shows your are immature and not ready to be in Medical School, let alone talk about it.

another thing that i was doubting is... as far as i know an indian mbbs is not = to us md. in india, after 5 years of mbbs people spend 2 further years to get their md.

so just check all that out, and you really might not be saving any time with needing to take usmles and all that as a few indian graduates have stated above....

and just remember, you always get what you pay for.

cheers on your pursuits.

people, thanks for your input about me going to india for med school. I'll be joining in August and hope i succeed in what im aiming for!

BTW: Nochi, an M.B.B.S is = to US/Canada M.D. The only difference is, in India you could practice right after you acquire an MBBS degree, but in US/Canada, you wont be able to practice until you pass your usmle's and get into a residency program to acquire a license.

-Laters

What Med School are you going to?

This thread is a joke, right?

To the OP:

Do you realize there's more to life than becoming a doctor? I'm of Indian descent, and my parents forced me into medicine...after earning my MD, I switched out of medicine completely, into a field I actually enjoy. I daresay I'm becoming quite the expert in my chosen field, which is NOT medicine.

College here in the US is more than an obstacle to medical school--it's a time of growth and development. I treasure my college experiences a hundred times more than my MD...and yes, those experiences include getting plastered at the crappiest bar in town and getting carried out by my non-medical friends.

I hope you can take off the goggles of confusion that your parents shoved on your face...you'll realize there's more to life than becoming a doctor.

To an impartial observer, it's obvious why you want to go to med school in India--it's because you're afraid you won't get into med school in the states. You can dress up your reasons as much as you want to, but the fact remains that you're sure you won't get into med school here in the USA, so you're taking the alternative route.

Financial reasons? Ha! Have you heard of loans, or scholarships? I have a very manageable student debt--I've been free of my parents' money for years now.

Go to college here in the USA, if you have the chance. Figure out what YOU want to do, not what your parents tell you to do.

If you've grown up here in the states, you will have a hard time adjusting to life in India.

My cousins lived in England until they were teenagers, when they're parents decided to go back because the mother wanted to practice law. The younger one spent every minute of his day for the next 15 years studying/working to get out of India. The older one never adapted to life there, and is in a pretty sad state today.

You've been warned.

Chandy said:
oh yeah, school in india is 4.5 years, but you need to complete internship to receive your degree (im pretty sure) which makes it 5.5 years, at which point you wont be able to apply for residency until the next cycle so its essentially 6 yrs before you enter residency (=savings of 2 years)

Schooling in India can often be quite messed up. There are teacher strikes and student union strikes, which can prolong a 4.5 year education to 6 or more years.

ILuv2BMD said:
Well, first thing, i do not want to do anything else other than study my butt off and become a doctor. That's what i wanted to be all my life and still that's my aim. I will not give up no matter how hard of a phase i'll be going through throughout my med school. I know that i have the dedication, and if it wasnt for dedication, i wouldnt even think of Med school and giving up my youth to study and become a physician. Im willing to sacrifice to any extent if i have to in order to serve people and help them with cures. I know i have that desire to become a physician. Yes, my father is an inspiration, thats natural, having a dad whos a successfull smart person is naturally an inspiration for his offspring. I 100% do not agree that he's a physician, thats why i want to become one. Its not completely based on that, its just a part of my reasons that i want to become a doctor. I went to UMASS Medical School 3 weeks ago becuase my dad had to buy a book, and thats the first time i entered a Medical School....i was so thrilled looking at students and faculty who were dignified people dressed in descent white coat with stethescope around their necks. I Entered the library and have seen beautifully illustrated books which were so enthusiastic for me. I really felt something when i went there. But, yes, i would like to do Medicine over here, but i would also want to take the risk and go to India and work hard and top the USMLE's. It's like, my life is dependent on this 4 and a half years of Med school and i have to prove that i could become a good Student and score good on exams and join a good residency program. One has to be ambitious in order for success to greater heights, so even if i get a good score and have not been selected to bigger residency specialities, i would still joing the program and try my level best to transfer to the one i wished to join.

So people, i have not enjoyed my high school too, but even though i dont regret because i know med school is like an adventure and its totally a different world. The people, books, environment, dissections, all those stuff has inspired me....i will do this and would never want to give up the dream of becoming a doctor, not just a doctor, but will try my level best to become a good physician, not a bad physician...So, as im progressing through these years, i will have to stay ambitious and aim for even higher, thats the only way i would be successfull in life. Dream big, but not so big that you cant touch, but to a reasonable distance. Taking one step at a time will eventually get you to the top of the stairs. But will take alot of dedication and hard work....and that, im willing to develop throughout my Med Career as i've already started to develop that desire and passion to serve the people...

Sincerely..
First of all, the most important question - are you gonna change your sn to iluv2bmbbs?

Second, I grew up in India till I was 17 and then moved to the states. I am a bit of a language buff, especially accents, written and verbal. The way you write is incredibly similar to how someone from India would write, but not from here. For example "has took the USMLE's in Massachussetts"......thats usually how someone from India would say it, when it should be "has taken the USMLE's"............"good score in MCAT".......again, a classic Indian thing, should be "score on MCAT".......... "uncles and aunties".........someone raised here would say "uncles and aunts".............there's a long list but I am not trying to belittle your language skills or anything mind you, just wanted to point a big indiscrepancy.

I think you are from India to begin with, as in you are there right now. As for why you want to raise your (or readers on SDN's) hopes about attending med school in India and then coming here...................no clue.............

Third, when you reply to this post, you might as well cut and paste any one of your previous responses. I say that because anytime someone's offered an excellent reason as to why not to attend India, be it for financial or career reasons, your replies (all of them) follow the same pattern - your dedication, your family's support, your extended family's success (uncles and aunties etc)........all neatly tied off with another big dose of dedication/passion.

Dude, its clear you want to attend med school there. So there's no point debating why. Your best chance of getting information would be from students who are already there, and I am pretty sure you can easily get in touch with them :)

For the record, if you really are in the US, I would disagree with the idea of going to India w/o even giving US schools a shot.
Once again, feel free to reply to that by saying "I will study hard enough, apply all my dedication and that way, I will be eligible for the top residencies."

Ok then........

I agree with you 100%--now that I look back on the OP's posts, I'd swear he's from India, not America. The grammar is horrendous--capitalizing when not needed, lots of odd phrasing, and what the hell is a board certified cosmetologist? I'm pretty sure that you get certified in cosmetology by attending a 6 week beauty school at the local vocational institute.

Ok...My family and I moved to US when i was 7 yrs old. We are originally from Hyderabad, India. I'm 18 years old. I graduated from high school in Houston, TX. Moved to Boston, MA last year. Planning to go to India next month to SRM. Its a harvard affiliated college.

Basically, DockDock, your just pissed off and frustrated with your Medical Education life. Don't just take all that frustrations on people who are not interested in your rantings...And also, I can't waste 10 minutes or so typing. I just spend about 2 minutes since i got other things to do rather than wasting time on forums and browsing. My grammar doesn't suck. Keep in mind i'm a high school graduate ain't done with my Undergrad, or grad yet, like you guys.

Last thing...All your stupid rantings and criticizing about my grammar will not take you anywhere or won't change me a bit. I know what i am, and i know i will succeed. If you have any advise (ONLY POSITIVE), then your welcome to provide me with some.

Sincerely

ILuv2BMD said:
Ok...My family and I moved to US when i was 7 yrs old. We are originally from Hyderabad, India. I'm 18 years old. I graduated from high school in Houston, TX. Moved to Boston, MA last year. Planning to go to India next month to SRM. Its a harvard affiliated college.

Basically, DockDock, your just pissed off and frustrated with your Medical Education life. Don't just take all that frustrations on people who are not interested in your rantings...And also, I can't waste 10 minutes or so typing. I just spend about 2 minutes since i got other things to do rather than wasting time on forums and browsing. My grammar doesn't suck. Keep in mind i'm a high school graduate ain't done with my Undergrad, or grad yet, like you guys.

Last thing...All your stupid rantings and criticizing about my grammar will not take you anywhere or won't change me a bit. I know what i am, and i know i will succeed. If you have any advise (ONLY POSITIVE), then your welcome to provide me with some.

Sincerely

EDIT

ILuv2BMD said:

Sincerely

EDIT

ILuv2BMD said:

Sincerely

holy crap a telugu guy!!! dude I am telugu too!! All I can say is - enough said! I am not even gonna bother trying to reason with you because that would just be a horrible waste of time. Let me just say - good luck in Chennai........the competition is so cutthroat that.........well, I guess u'll see in a few weeks.

But I still think u r donking around when you say u r in Boston, cuz ur grammar pretty much gives it away that you are in India.

Good luck dude,
Knight

P.S. SRM is Harvard affiliated??? Now I KNOW you are smoking something. FYI, just because they have a PROGRAM that may be affiliated doesn't mean the schools are related. Thats like saying since my school, new york med, sends grads to Oxford, my school is oxford affiliated.......no such thing.

P.P.S. Spending 10 min to type properly is too much because you have better things to do than wasting time browsing forums?? Then why the F*CK are you here?? In case you are too high on mushrooms to notice, YOU started the thread you miserable douche. So if its just a waste of time, how about doing yourself a favor and not posting to begin with??

Rant End

KNightInBlue said:
holy crap a telugu guy!!! dude I am telugu too!! All I can say is - enough said! I am not even gonna bother trying to reason with you because that would just be a horrible waste of time. Let me just say - good luck in Chennai........the competition is so cutthroat that.........well, I guess u'll see in a few weeks.

But I still think u r donking around when you say u r in Boston, cuz ur grammar pretty much gives it away that you are in India.

Good luck dude,
Knight

P.S. SRM is Harvard affiliated??? Now I KNOW you are smoking something. FYI, just because they have a PROGRAM that may be affiliated doesn't mean the schools are related. Thats like saying since my school, new york med, sends grads to Oxford, my school is oxford affiliated.......no such thing.

P.P.S. Spending 10 min to type properly is too much because you have better things to do than wasting time browsing forums?? Then why the F*CK are you here?? In case you are too high on mushrooms to notice, YOU started the thread you miserable douche. So if its just a waste of time, how about doing yourself a favor and not posting to begin with??

Rant End

yO knight...all i gotta say is...this sucks man...all i wanted from you people is some tips and advise as to how's it going to be in India for an NRI wanting to study medicine. But you people just start some stupid **** discouraging a fella going to India. It's simple, i have already made up my mind, my brother and I are going this year and that's it. For instance, my initial post doesn't say "what do you guys think, should i go to India for medicine or not", did i ask you people that??? Heck NO i did not, all i wanted from you guys was some tips and advise as what to expect in India and stuff...Let me just copy and paste my initial post

Der ya go, do you see anywhere about me asking you guys what do you think of me going to India???...

And as far as im concerned...i dont give a damn if ya'll guys think if i'm from Boston or India....I know i am in Boston, MA...and if ya'll still wouldn't believe it, then i can't help it. Anywayz, what will i get in return for lieing to you people...does it even make sense to lie for such a simple thing...i came here for some tips...since i knew that many Indian's might've graduated from Indian Medical School's before coming to US to do their residency...but anyways...thanks guys..

Ok...Now I'd never in hell do what you're doing. That being said, as an American who recently visited Chennai, I tried to go for a jog one day (indoor treadmill), which got my oxygen intake up. When I got outside, w/ the absurd pollution you have yet to encounter...i nearly passed out. When I got back to the states, I developed huge headaches and had to take special medication to remove some of the crap i got in my sinuses from my trip. My doctor/uncle called me an idiot for trying to exercise in that environment. Many of my cousins, who are now in their twenties but moved from Chennai when they were 6 or 7, got sick off the food and suffered severly, going to the hospital multiple occasions during the trip. For anyone who is not used to urban Indian pollution, do enjoy it! You're pretty stubborn now, but just remember all the advice you've been given here when you are in India, breathing in the fine air, and stepping on human feces you don't really encounter in Boston (i'm not trying to knock on India, but its still a developing country and someone supposedly from Boston is in for a rude awakening when they get there).

ILuv2BMD said:
yO knight...all i gotta say is...this sucks man...all i wanted from you people is some tips and advise as to how's it going to be in India for an NRI wanting to study medicine. But you people just start some stupid **** discouraging a fella going to India. It's simple, i have already made up my mind, my brother and I are going this year and that's it. For instance, my initial post doesn't say "what do you guys think, should i go to India for medicine or not", did i ask you people that??? Heck NO i did not, all i wanted from you guys was some tips and advise as what to expect in India and stuff...Let me just copy and paste my initial post

Der ya go, do you see anywhere about me asking you guys what do you think of me going to India???...

And as far as im concerned...i dont give a damn if ya'll guys think if i'm from Boston or India....I know i am in Boston, MA...and if ya'll still wouldn't believe it, then i can't help it. Anywayz, what will i get in return for lieing to you people...does it even make sense to lie for such a simple thing...i came here for some tips...since i knew that many Indian's might've graduated from Indian Medical School's before coming to US to do their residency...but anyways...thanks guys..