ACT vs MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatestpastime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most of you guys are in the later stages of college and don't care to think about the ACT, but if you could post your MCAT and ACT score it would give me a good idea of the correlation between the two and my abilities.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

greatestpastime said:
I know most of you guys are in the later stages of college and don't care to think about the ACT, but if you could post your MCAT and ACT score it would give me a good idea of the correlation between the two and my abilities.

thanks!

I dunno if there's a correlation. People change a lot in four years.

I had an adcom tell me during a mock interview that they considered ACT scores to be good indicators of future MCAT scores. I don't know if they have a direct conversion in mind though. I don't mind sharing if it helps you out somehow...

ACT: 33
MCAT: 39Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Jesus. I got a 25 on the ACT.
Of course, I didn't go to high school...

As someone said there's not a good correlation. MCAT is taken by a much smaller and brighter group of students than SAT or ACT and MCAT is based on a curve and I am not sure about ACT. Mine were 25 ACT and 31 MCAT if that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
ACT: 24 (no studying, three years after high school, just took it to support my siister-in-law who took it the same day)
MCAT: 26N (9P, 9V, 8B) then 31Q (9P, 10V, 12B)

Um. Haven't taken the mcat yet...but I'll fill you in later. I was prepped for the SAT through high school and just took the ACT for the hell of it..got like a 32 or something..had no idea whether that was even good or not.

Got a 27 on both with little to no prep for either. Preparation is recommended for the MCAT, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
greatestpastime said:

thanks!

Edit: oops, duplicate post.

greatestpastime said:

thanks!

Doing well on a pre-undergrad exam doesn't mean anything for a pre-professional school exam, since your performance on the latter is standardized to a pool of much more intelligent people. However, doing poorly on the ACT or SAT probably correlates very well with doing poorly on the MCAT.

28 ACT
30 MCAT

I didn't know that we were exactly supposed to "prepare" for the ACT. :oops:

29 ACT 1290 SAT 30P MCAT, waiting on a second try for the MCAT which will becoming soon- hopefully improved :)

tacrum43 said:
28 ACT
30 MCAT

I didn't know that we were exactly supposed to "prepare" for the ACT. :oops:

taylormade44 said:
Don't more people usually take the SATs than ACT?

THat's what I thought??? I guess people in the mid west primarily take the ACT's. I don't know what they have against SAT's.

heh, let's stop talking about high school. It makes me mad. =P heh heh

This topic has been discussed before, and the general consensus is that there isn't a strong correlation between the MCAT and either the SAT or ACT. Probably the biggest reason is that most people study for the MCAT, and most people do not study for the SAT or ACT. The tests are pretty different. You could definitely not have predicted my MCAT score from my SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. I did well on those tests, but not crazy well.

i got a 27 on ACT, i am taking the mcats in aug. will let you know when i get the score!!

ACT: 35 (with 1 week of prep)
MCAT: ??? (expecting 33-35)

I highly doubt I'll be in the 99th percentile for the MCAT though...I hope there was a correlation, but I doubt it

thanks a lot! If nothing else this gives me confidence that I can achieve the score I want with some dedication. From what I have seen, it doesn't seem there is much correlation.

I think it's funny how much students study for the ACT now. When I took it I just showed up and did it. It sounds like it's getting more and more like the MCAT. I guess we have that one person who decided to beat the curve and study for the MCAT to thank. ;-)

I got a 30 on the ACT (got a 28 the first time I took it) and a 31 on the MCAT.

That's great scotttennis, but I couldn't pay attention to your post due to your hotness.

ACT: 32
SAT: 1370
MCAT: 37

I was amazed to hear that people studied/took classes for ACT/SAT... I just rolled up and took them, and my scores show it.

I would compare the individual sections of the ACT because math isn't THAT important (25% of test) and writing skills aren't important hardly at all (except for the pass/fail writing section).

But then I thought of my scores....

I got a 36 in reading comp. and a 32 in the science reasoning.

MCAT
Verbal=12
BS=14
PS=14

Oh well, so much for my theory :rolleyes:

oh man, this thread reminds me of good times

didn't take act, took sat and it was 1390 i think
mcat is 37N

did u guys take satII?

i somehow remember that the science materials for mcat are almost exactly the same as those for the satII, (bio, chem, etc)

I took SATII's, don't think I scored better than 600 on any of them, but I don't remember.

I also scored a 36 in the ACT reading and got a 11 VR on the MCAT, and a 27 science, 14PS 12BS, so much for any correlation ;)

I think when it comes down to it, a high ACT score without studying likely shows you are intelligent and possess the ability do well on the MCAT provided you put in the time. If you studied for the ACT all bets are off because your score is no longer an indication of your testing ability in general; you could do really well or very poorly.

ACT: 35 (don't remember the breakdown)
SAT: 1430 -> 790 M, 640 E
MCAT: 38 -> 12VR 13PS 13BS

ACT: 30 (have no clue about the breakdown)
SAT: 1350 (690V/660M)
MCAT: 29 (VR:11/BS: 9/PS: 9)

lifedoc

I believe sometimes in the 90s or late 80s they scored it upward so that people got higher scores- they may have done this with the ACT too? Then just last year they added the essay which is another 800 points so it can now be worth 2400

ACT: 24 (no studying, three years after high school, just took it to support my siister-in-law who took it the same day)
MCAT: 26N (9P, 9V, 8B) then 31Q (9P, 10V, 12B)

ACT: 24... i am definitely NOT a scholar & my grades in high school were mediocre
MCAT: 33Q... i have no idea how in the hell i managed that one...lol

I had an adcom tell me during a mock interview that they considered ACT scores to be good indicators of future MCAT scores. I don't know if they have a direct conversion in mind though. I don't mind sharing if it helps you out somehow...

ACT: 33
MCAT: 39Q

I got a 36 on the ACT, so I'm *definitely* hoping that it's a good indicator... (I'm hearing back in a month)

The adcoms that I have talked to said there is more of a correlation between the MCAT and USMLE scores than your ACT and MCAT score. The MCAT is more science based while the ACT is more general knowledge. Also the ACT is taken by a broad group of students while the MCAT is taken by a narrower group.

ACT-31
SAT-1310
MCAT-41

I was a complete F-off in high school then I got serious in college...

Status
Not open for further replies.