**EK 10 Week Study Schedule followers**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread for those of us who are following the 10week EK study schedule to ask questions about the books, the lecture q's, the exams, the mini-MCATs, or the 1001 series. This way our questions will be consolidated into one thread and hopefully most of us are moving along at about the same pace. We'll probably get a faster response than if we post at examkrackers.com

anyways it's 230 AM on the East Coast here and I'm reading Bio Lecture 2 :( my bed looks so inviting too

Members don't see this ad.

BrettBatchelor said:
HAHAHAHA! I was doing the same thing but decided I'll finish tomm morning. EST here too.

how come you don't update your blog? it seems like a good way to keep yourself accountable. I used to have a livejournal but then for some reason I just stopped updating when I got to college... I just can't seem to get myself back into it though.

luckycharms08 said:
how come you don't update your blog? it seems like a good way to keep yourself accountable. I used to have a livejournal but then for some reason I just stopped updating when I got to college... I just can't seem to get myself back into it though.
Mainly because I haven't done too much since. Or should I say nothing that should be wrote about. Just finished the huge kaplan book.

Members don't see this ad :)
the whole thing?! :eek:
did you think it was worth it? I was thinking of getting it to supplement the EK class but I just feel like I've bought so many books (between EK + minimcats + practice tests + all of the 1001's) that I should try to get through those first.

luckycharms08 said:
the whole thing?! :eek:
did you think it was worth it? I was thinking of getting it to supplement the EK class but I just feel like I've bought so many books (between EK + minimcats + practice tests + all of the 1001's) that I should try to get through those first.
I'd stick with one thing and know it well.

Nikki2002 said:
that kaplan book seems huge--but honestly it won't take you that long to get through it--and it's really helpful.

I'm not sure if you would know this or not, but I think the EK series goes in the order of how the AAMC lists the topics covered on the MCAT. do you know if the kaplan comprehensive review also does that?

luckycharms08 said:
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread for those of us who are following the 10week EK study schedule to ask questions about the books, the lecture q's, the exams, the mini-MCATs, or the 1001 series. This way our questions will be consolidated into one thread and hopefully most of us are moving along at about the same pace. We'll probably get a faster response than if we post at examkrackers.com

anyways it's 230 AM on the East Coast here and I'm reading Bio Lecture 2 :( my bed looks so inviting too

That is soo funny! I was doing the same thing last night! I only got half way through before I couldn't take anymore. I decided to pick it back up this morning! EST here too. :D

luckycharms08 said:
I'm not sure if you would know this or not, but I think the EK series goes in the order of how the AAMC lists the topics covered on the MCAT. do you know if the kaplan comprehensive review also does that?
No... It doesn't go in the order of the topic outline.

Trying to finish Physics lec 2, so I can move onto chem lec 1. I am like a day behind schedule. What about you guys?

The EK 10 week coarse,..........does that come with the Complete study package, or is it somthing differant??????? Is examkrackers effective to study on your own time line.

AWhitehair said:
Trying to finish Physics lec 2, so I can move onto chem lec 1. I am like a day behind schedule. What about you guys?
I'm about to do Chem 1 today but I have to catch up on Sunday on either Orgo 2 or Bio 2. (I am doing orgo mondays instead of pre-reading).

BrettBatchelor said:
I'm about to do Chem 1 today but I have to catch up on Sunday on either Orgo 2 or Bio 2. (I am doing orgo mondays instead of pre-reading).

Oh, I see. I skipped the whole pre-reading thing this week, but I think I am going to do it again for week three. It seems to help me digest and remember the content a little better. I found it strange that EK waits so long to start on orgo. You have a good idea by starting it sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
AWhitehair said:
Oh, I see. I skipped the whole pre-reading thing this week, but I think I am going to do it again for week three. It seems to help me digest and remember the content a little better. I found it strange that EK waits so long to start on orgo. You have a good idea by starting it sooner.
Orgo is only 4 chapters but they have a lot of info and high yield stuff.
I hate the length in the bio chapters though. Too long IMO.

Did anyone take the 1G diagnostic today. Man, I am so heartbroken after taking that exam. I took the physical sciences section and got a 9, but ive only been through one of the sections of chemistry and 2 of physics in the books and they keep testing material I have not covered yet. The verbal was sorta hard and my bio went down from the first aamc diagnostic where i got a 10. Did anyone think this exam was harded than normal? I feel like crying!!!

Condeeleza Rice said:
Did anyone take the 1G diagnostic today. Man, I am so heartbroken after taking that exam. I took the physical sciences section and got a 9, but ive only been through one of the sections of chemistry and 2 of physics in the books and they keep testing material I have not covered yet. The verbal was sorta hard and my bio went down from the first aamc diagnostic where i got a 10. Did anyone think this exam was harded than normal? I feel like crying!!!

Aww, don't cry. I have yet to take it...it is on next weeks schedule. I was thinking about taking 3R instead next week and saving 1g for later when I have covered everything.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Don't let it discourage you...keep on studying and you'll see the improvement in your AAMC exams.

I'm following the ten week schedule myself, however, life has been really busy for me the last couple of weeks and I have fell behind quite a bit. It's definately a struggle to catch up, but it is happening. I would have to recommend not getting behins as it can be a bear to get caught up. Good luck to everyone.

Krazed_Medic said:
I'm following the ten week schedule myself, however, life has been really busy for me the last couple of weeks and I have fell behind quite a bit. It's definately a struggle to catch up, but it is happening. I would have to recommend not getting behins as it can be a bear to get caught up. Good luck to everyone.

I totally hear you there. I am still a day behind after trying my hardest to catch up. I still have two mini-mcat exams to do, 1 FL VR, and 1001 questions in Physics and bio lec 2 to do. Arghhh! I better stop playing around on SDN and get to it! :oops:

is the minimcat book really worth it? I am doing the ten week plan, but I dont have that book. Do you think I should get it?

natusss said:
is the minimcat book really worth it? I am doing the ten week plan, but I dont have that book. Do you think I should get it?

It doesn't hurt, that's for sure. Unless you get a rushed shipment, it will prob take too long to get to you. You could do just fine without it imo.

having boring 3 hour flights are a great way to play catch up. i read chem 2 and physics 3 on mine :)

BrettBatchelor said:
How you doing AWhitehair?
I'm trying to play catchup today.

Me too. It is sooo hard to catch up once you fall behind. I am thankful for the day on the schedule that says "do nothing MCAT related", because it is the day I do everything MCAT related. heh. Next week, however, I won't get one of those days! Instead it will be a FL. Ahhh!

I am almost caught up. I still need to do my 2nd FL VR and 2 mini's.

AWhitehair said:
Me too. It is sooo hard to catch up once you fall behind. I am thankful for the day on the schedule that says "do nothing MCAT related", because it is the day I do everything MCAT related. heh. Next week, however, I won't get one of those days! Instead it will be a FL. Ahhh!

Hey sorry for asking stupid question but wat is FL?

thanks bye

AWhitehair said:

Yeah I caught up on one full length yesterday and another today. I'm exhausted.
I still have some Mini MCATs to do but oh well. They just steal my thunder anyway.

natusss said:
Thanks for answering :p

i think your money would probably be better spent on one of the 1001 books... the mini-mcat's are too short and pretty hard, and they don't have scaled scores either which is something I think most people were hoping for.

luckycharms08 said:
i think your money would probably be better spent on one of the 1001 books... the mini-mcat's are too short and pretty hard, and they don't have scaled scores either which is something I think most people were hoping for.
If you don't have them I'd go with 101 verbal or 1001 bio before mini mcats

i just have the ek complete study pack.
boy i wish i knew there was a schedule lol.

i just finished the verbal book. and the bio book.
am currently half done with orgo book. still have physics and gen chem to tackle.

i hope reading them like this isnt a bad thing, instead of following the schedule :(

n0chi said:

am currently half done with orgo book. still have physics and gen chem to tackle.

i hope reading them like this isnt a bad thing, instead of following the schedule :(

Hey NOchi daym cant bealive you finished entire bio book that's awesomee
when did you started studyin? how many hours are you studying per day? jus curious

Thanks

n0chi said:

Are you just reading, or taking notes, etc. ? They recommend reading every book at least three times. Once for fun, the other two times for taking notes and review.

EddieIndy said:
Are you just reading, or taking notes, etc. ? They recommend reading every book at least three times. Once for fun, the other two times for taking notes and review.
I'm taking high yield notes from each book. The basics are pointless to right down IMO. I'll go through each book once then review my notes (should only be like 10 or so pages) like 100000 times before the test. We'll see how it goes.

i read the book once, highlight, and then answer the questions
then i go to class and they lecture on it, then i take the in class exam
i listen to the audio osmosis later
and then i go through it and make little flashcards for myself like "what are the products of glycolysis?"... making the flashcards kind of serves as a 3rd reading and helps me focus on the big stuff.

i also have the mini-mcats and the 1001 books, so I try to do those whenever I get a chance to

BrettBatchelor said:
I'm taking high yield notes from each book. The basics are pointless to right down IMO. I'll go through each book once then review my notes (should only be like 10 or so pages) like 100000 times before the test. We'll see how it goes.

10 pages per book? or per lecture? or total?!

i'm a compulsive note taker, i can't imagine only having 10 pages total. i think i usually would write ~6 pages per lecture if i actually took notes on them.

luckycharms08 said:
10 pages per book? or per lecture? or total?!

i'm a compulsive note taker, i can't imagine only having 10 pages total. i think i usually would write ~6 pages per lecture if i actually took notes on them.
Ten pages total.
I printed off paper into thirds in landscape mode. So far for physics 1-2 I've used 3/4 column, Gen Chem 1 - 1 column, Bio 1 - 1/2 column, Organic 1+ half of 2 - 2 columns.

There comes a point when taking notes gets to be rewriting the book. To me I don't see a point.

BrettBatchelor said:
Ten pages total.
I printed off paper into thirds in landscape mode. So far for physics 1-2 I've used 3/4 column, Gen Chem 1 - 1 column, Bio 1 - 1/2 column, Organic 1+ half of 2 - 2 columns.

There comes a point when taking notes gets to be rewriting the book. To me I don't see a point.

oh okay. i write really large, so that could be a part of it. and for some reason, writing things down really helps me to remember them, even if i don't look over it later. but i agree that it's really slow and time consuming, which is why i've settled for highlighting and making flashcards.

luckycharms08 said:
oh okay. i write really large, so that could be a part of it. and for some reason, writing things down really helps me to remember them, even if i don't look over it later. but i agree that it's really slow and time consuming, which is why i've settled for highlighting and making flashcards.

Hey
i also do samething, it takes about 5-6 pages (notes) per lecture and it does take freakin long time to write notes, it's slowing me down. so you guys think itz better to highlight and make flashcards ? cuz if i write down stuff it goes in my head but then again i dont got much since there is so much to do in so little time. also i hurd somewhere that WRITING DOWN ONCE is EQUAL TO 10x READING. so i donno

let me know people
thanks

I just found out about this 10 week EK schedule. I have everything but I havn't started studying much. Is it too late to start now? hope it's not :D

For those of you doing this 10 week ek schedule, do you think it would be possible to do without having organic first - or would it be impossible to learn orgo cold from these books. I just ordered the complete set today. Thanks.

HuntinDoc said:
For those of you doing this 10 week ek schedule, do you think it would be possible to do without having organic first - or would it be impossible to learn orgo cold from these books. I just ordered the complete set today. Thanks.

i haven't read the orgo book yet but i think it would be a very very bad idea to take the mcat not having taken orgo. in my opinion at least, it's a much harder subject to grasp, and just one of those things that's very hard for the average person to teach themselves. do a search for past threads though, there's definitely been a lot of discussion about taking the mcat without orgo.

HuntinDoc said:

i haven't read the orgo book yet but i think it would be a very very bad idea to take the mcat not having taken orgo. in my opinion at least, it's a much harder subject to grasp, and just one of those things that's very hard for the average person to teach themselves. do a search for past threads though, there's definitely been a lot of discussion about taking the mcat without orgo.

I'm a non-trad taking orgo in two yrs (physics this coming year) and wanted to get a head start on studying. So I will take it, just not for a little while. Wondered if it would even be worth opening the orgo book. Thanks.

luckycharms08 said:

luckycharms08 said:

I agree with this. The EK books just teach you the very basics of organic and I don't think that you'll get too much out of the books without having any background on the subject. The book stresses recognition of the functional groups and how they react with other groups so you can't really get by with memorization of them.

yea i read the ek books in detail, and underline + take notes. and i do the questions whenever i encounter them. i plan to do another read through the final week before the exams. I have been spending about 2 hrs a day for a month now.
i also stole the kaplan lesson and subject books from a friend who took those classes last year, so i have a lot of material to go through still!

im in the orgo part right now, and yes i have taken orgo 1 and 2 and its still difficult! lol. so i wouldnt suggest trying to learn from the ek books. they do a good job of showing you what you need to know, but i think its best to learn it from some other place.

Can someone confirm for me that we should be starting week 3 (as of Sunday 6/25)?
I am not sure if I am one week behind or not.