What is your single Top Choice (but Realistic) School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What one school to you really see your self attending next year if you get accepted? Why?

While I have about a dozen or so on my list, including reach schools, I think i'm leaning towards going to EVMS (Eastern Virginia). I love the area and know a number of people there. Great suburb type environment to live and learn in with plenty of exposure to a variety of clinical experiences. Of course, would be a real tough decision for me if I got into a reach school like Hopkins or Yale. But would still lean towards EVMS.

How about your plans??

Members don't see this ad.

great thread!

i'd have to say NYMC because i'm from NYC and it's at a perfect distance from home where i can't quite commute but i can go home whenever i feel like it!@ Plus I hear it's a great friendly atmosphere and the kids aren't so cut throat and they do well on the match. :D

UT Southwestern. Great school, great location and great price.

Members don't see this ad :)
Monarch Kong said:
UT Southwestern. Great school, great location and great price.

I think location is a big part of it. It is nice for many of us to still be close to home, family, and friends. Also helps if you have exposire / experience with a certain hospital system or school.

Haemulon said:
I think location is a big part of it. It is nice for many of us to still be close to home, family, and friends. Also helps if you have exposire / experience with a certain hospital system or school.

Yea it's only my top realistic choice because I am a TX resident. Otherwise... :scared:

Haemulon said:
What one school to you really see your self attending next year if you get accepted? Why?

While I have about a dozen or so on my list, including reach schools, I think i'm leaning towards going to EVMS (Eastern Virginia). I love the area and know a number of people there. Great suburb type environment to live and learn in with plenty of exposure to a variety of clinical experiences. Of course, would be a real tough decision for me if I got into a reach school like Hopkins or Yale. But would still lean towards EVMS.

How about your plans??

Another EVMS Fanboy in the house.

Rush, for Realistic.
Otherwise, PRITZKER!!!

I would do anything to get into University of Virginia.

Ohio state is probably more realistic though, as I am an Ohio resident.

coco11 said:
I would do anything to get into University of Virginia.

Ohio state is probably more realistic though, as I am an Ohio resident.

Yeh, UVA is high on my list too. I'm a little concerned about having to go away for 6 months for 3rd year clinicals there because I have a family (will have 3 kids) that I still want to be around. Have to look into it more.

jackieMD2007 said:
Rush, for Realistic.
Otherwise, PRITZKER!!!

Damn Jackie you are beating me to all the threads!

Realistic: Rush or Loyola....probably would pick Rush :D

Anastasis said:
If you'd have asked me a week ago I wouldn't have said this... but:
BAYLOR!! or Indiana.

Baylor > Indiana----Midwest winters are not something you want to deal with :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anastasis said:
True - but I have family in Indy. Family = free food.

No family in Houston = Ramen. :laugh:

:laugh: I guess food and laundary supercede Raman noodles :rolleyes:

DrVanNostran said:
:laugh: I guess food and laundary supercede Raman noodles :rolleyes:

lol..my first is University of Toronto, but since gaining admission in Canada is so hard, I will go anywhere that takes me.

i don't even know what my top choice is. if you told me i could go anywhere on my list, i don't even know what i'd pick. i'm trying to keep an open mind, as i am easily excitable.

i'd say i'm split between UTMB, A&M, and UTH and even those are rocky. ideally, i'd go to UTSW but i don't think i have a shot.

Anastasis said:
True - but I have family in Indy. Family = free food.

No family in Houston = Ramen. :laugh:

Baylor is da bomb. Texas Med Center = :love:

I live in Houston, I can send you some frozen dinners every now and then. That is if I get accepted to Baylor.

DrVanNostran said:
Baylor > Indiana----Midwest winters are not something you want to deal with :laugh:

They aren't that bad! Northeast is definitely worse.

And all I'm hopeful for is IU. I'd love that.

Suaveness said:
They aren't that bad! Northeast is definitely worse.

And all I'm hopeful for is IU. I'd love that.

I most likely will end up staying in Chicago anyways, these winters are brutal :scared:

UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

gotta love the PNW

taylormade44 said:
Jeffersoonn let mee inn

Why do you make me stress... EVMS?
Baby just let me in... you know we'll both win.
And then worst of all you never call, baby
When I hope you will, but I love you still
I want you more than anyone, darlin'
You know that I have from the start
So let me in, EVMS! Don't break my heart!

Haemulon said:

How about your plans??

Probably BU, although I wouldn't mind going to USC :cool:

Uic! Uic!!!!

(not sure why it won't capitalize)

Vandy so far, although my favorite-of-the-moment tends to shift around among 5 schools or so.

I just want to go to UVa... please oh please oh please... another 4 years in C-ville= :love:

Depakote said:
:laugh: :laugh:

realistic: MCW
reach: Pritzker (i would seriously pee in my pants, but my husband would be so sad to move :( )

Dream: Duke/Vandy/Mayo.
Realistic?: UCSF/UCLA.

We'll see how that pans out. I want to be a doctor, I don't care.

UT-Memphis, Anybody else out there looking to go here too? :oops:

USF, shooting for the stars with EDP

Dream: NJMS,University of Maryland, pritzker, or mayo
I can't make up my mind.

Columbia/Cornell

university of virginia :love:

if that doesn't work out, then ohio state or penn state.

I would love to go to Baylor. If not, I would be happy at UTH, UTMB, UTSA, UTSW, A&M....or anywhere else for that matter. I'm not picky!

Depakote said:

LMAO :laugh: too funny. Way to go EVMS! Looks like (if i counted right) we have 3 for EVMS and 3 for UVA. Don't recall any other schools with 3 votes so far (correct me if i'm wrong). Go Virginia Schools! Woo Hoo! :thumbup:

DrVanNostran said:
Hey! Indy is great! And midwest winters are fun! (It's not as bad here as in Chicago :) ).

Of course, my first choice is IU (Hope to see you there, Anastasis!)

Loyola is probably my first choice, but IU is a close second. We shall see what this application season brings! Good luck everybody! :)

I would absolutely love to go to University of Maryland. I'm in-state, so the tution is lower than my undergrad tution right now. Its close to all my family, and they are only in lecture like 3 hours a day!

Duke is my dream.

Realistically, I like UPitt a lot.

I'd be thrilled to end up at Ohio State or Pittsburgh (3.75 BCPM and 36 MCAT)

University of Chicago

Though i'm not sure if that's "realistic" or not. Thoughts?