Do / Mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n0chi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i have just submitted my aacomas app to various do school across the country. I was wondering if any of you knew any info about specific do/mba programs??? i have noticed people say that the mba is only valuable if it is from a really good school, does it still have a good value coming from not that great of a school but as a part of a combined degree?
i am interested in hospital administration and hence im interested to learn more about do/mba.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

n0chi said:
hey all,
i have just submitted my aacomas app to various do school across the country. I was wondering if any of you knew any info about specific do/mba programs??? i have noticed people say that the mba is only valuable if it is from a really good school, does it still have a good value coming from not that great of a school but as a part of a combined degree?
i am interested in hospital administration and hence im interested to learn more about do/mba.
thanks.

If you wanted to work for a traditional hirer of MBAs -- eg. banking, finance, consulting, large corporate, then where you got your MBA matters a lot, and a combined program, although interesting to some, won't put you in the same footing as a top MBA program candidate at those places generally. Hospital Admin may be different and not as attuned to such rankings.

thanks!

im trying to look more into do/mba combined programs. the one that caught my eye was the one at kcumb. you get both degrees in 4 years! but it says you have to do some online courses while doing rotations.

i was wondering if thats something worthwhile, or is that an unnecessary hassle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually graduated from KCUMB with the combined DO/MBA. The MBA comes from Rockhurst University (ranked 8th in the midwest region in 2002 when I was there). It was worth every penny. It will help you in landing a spot for residency, preparing for after residency (this is HUGE), and give you something to talk about with your attendings. The MBA is NOT easy and will kill your summers and some weekends, it will also take time away when preparing for rotations during your 3rd and 4th years, but those are still not good enough reasons for me not to do it.

n0chi said:
hey all,
thanks.

I've started my MBA courses as part of a DO/MBA at OSU-COM and have been pleased with it so far. It's a 2-1-2 program, so I'm taking this year to do the MBA but am staying up with clinical medicine by volunteering at a community health clinic.