Pbl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theun4given

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list somewhere that shows the med schools that use problem-based learning? Or how about a list that shows which schools use organ based curriculums? I am trying to only apply to schools which use these styles of learning.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Northwestern and Cornell both use PBL. At Drexel, you have a choice of two pathways, one of which is mainly PBL. As for a list, some schools state this in the curriculum section of the MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southern Illinois University uses PBL, but only accept in-state.

greytmedic said:
Southern Illinois University uses PBL, but only accept in-state.

UCLA uses PBL and is organ system based.

theun4given said:
Is there a list somewhere that shows the med schools that use problem-based learning? Or how about a list that shows which schools use organ based curriculums? I am trying to only apply to schools which use these styles of learning.

Thanks

While a comprehensive list that breaks the curricula up into these categories would be nice, unfortunately, I don't think it exists. If you have a MSAR, you can wade through the curricular highlights sections for each school to find out. If not, go to the websites of the schools you are interested in.

danjo said:
While a comprehensive list that breaks the curricula up into these categories would be nice, unfortunately, I don't think it exists. If you have a MSAR, you can wade through the curricular highlights sections for each school to find out. If not, go to the websites of the schools you are interested in.

That would take forever. Here, let's just do it on SDN and then we can make it a sticky.

So far, we have:

Cornell
Drexel (pathway choice)
KU Med
Mizzou
Northwestern
Southern Illinois University (in-state only)
UCLA Geffen (PBL, organ system based)

add rochester and the king of all pbl schools, harvard, to that list.

as an aside, wouldn't it be oculus sinistER?

I like the way you think - added Pitt, University of Washington, Harvard, & Rochester

Cornell
Drexel (pathway choice)
KU Med
Mizzou
Northwestern
Pitt (PBL, organ systems based)
University of Washington (no PBL)
Harvard
Rochester

modelslashactor said:
add rochester and the king of all pbl schools, harvard, to that list.

as an aside, wouldn't it be oculus sinistER?

Interesting. I've heard it as "oculus sinistra" for a long time.

I just looked it up and apparently "oculus sinistra" is the latin version of "oculus sinister". But yeah, it means the same thing. In retrospect, I shouldn't have chosen this because I'm premed and it would be more suitable for a pre-optometry student I suppose.

Oh well.

danjo said:
Cornell
Drexel (pathway choice)
KU Med
Mizzou
Northwestern
Pitt (PBL, organ systems based)
University of Washington (no PBL)
Harvard
Rochester
University of Hawaii
Added UH...

Mercer too---but I'm pretty sure they only accept in-state.

some Indiana University campuses use it...specifically northwest in gary

AAMC has a nifty curriculum directory that I used extensively when I applied some two years ago.

http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section1/start.cfm

You can find information about grading system, curriculum, etc. Under the innovations portion of the innovation search, some schools list PBL as an innovation. Have fun searching.

BTW, UC Davis has around 5 days of PBL a quarter, two hours each session consisting of a clinical case where we work through. I learn some, but not really my style. I sat in on a PBL session at Rochester when I interviewed and it's a lot better there.

I agree, lead iodide is totally insoluble.