Schools that Heavily Use PBL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who M.D.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Between my copy of MSAR and reading web sites of schools, I'm having a hard time identifying which schools use PBL (problem-based learning) extensively, and which schools use it a little, but use the lecture model predominantly. Does anyone here know which schools make major use of PBL?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC (starting this fall)

Northwestern

Elaborate a bit more on problem based learning please.

This thread comes up once every couple of weeks. The most recent thread can be read here.

You can search on PBL and Problem to find other discussions from the past. The most recent thread came up with these schools for PBL:

Cornell
Drexel (pathway choice)
KU Med
Mizzou
Northwestern
Southern Illinois University (in-state only)
UCLA Geffen (PBL, organ system based)
Pitt (PBL, organ systems based)
Harvard
Rochester
University of Hawaii

I actually did PBL in a chem class one semester. It was really hard and I hated it. But some of that was b/c the prof was really hard, and he made the group work understandable if you have already learned the stuff, but if you were new to it, it took a long time to grasp. However, I did learn the material well, but i think that's just b/c his tests were hard. AND one great outcome was I was just like screw this group work and I would just get up close and personal with the text book and learned the material on my own - so I learned how to teach myself some difficult material. Then I had a cell bio class where the prof just went off the text book, so I did the same thing I just tought myself from the book. But I think that going to a school that does lecture, esp when you don't even have to go to class and can get the notes elsewhere, is better to learn on your own. B/c then you can skip the bookwork and do it on your own. ANYWAY I'm sure it's diff for medical school PBL so does anyone know more about PBL specifically for Med school?

SIU (Southern Illinois): pretty much 100% PBL
Cleveland Clinic program at Case Western (CCLCM, aka "College Program"): pretty much 100% PBL
Case Western ("University Program"): starting this year (Class of 2010), ~50% "small group" which may include PBL
Pitt: incorporates PBL, but also has traditional lectures
Northwestern: incorporates PBL (something like 2x/week?), but also has traditional lectures

I think UMDNJ-RWJ, University of Hawaii, and Ohio State (not the "Independent Study" track--the "Integrated Pathway") also have some PBL, but I'm not sure of the amount.

Penn State uses PBL and I'm pretty sure UVA's second year is very PBL-oriented.

Let's not forget Mercer, who are pretty much the originators of the PBL curriculum.

How much of Rochester's curriculum is PBL? Is it just a small portions, mixed in with lectures? Or is it mainly PBL and very few lectures?

Florida State University.

PBL was started at rochester, so I'm assuming that majority of their basic sciences is PBL, but i could be wrong.

the brown note said:
Cleveland Clinic program at Case Western (CCLCM, aka "College Program"): pretty much 100% PBL
Hi,

I'm a CCLCM student. Just to clarify, we do not use 100% PBL. We definitely do "use PBL extensively" here, but we also have small group sessions, seminars, journal club, and lab experiences, and we do a lot of independent study. OP, if you're wanting to have a traditional medical school experience, CCLCM is not the school for you. We do not have lectures, tests, grades, etc. here. You cannot skip classes or be invisible. It's a very different kind of medical school experience compared to what you'd find at most schools.

Cheers,
CCLCMer

boyz of 4d said:
PBL was started at rochester, so I'm assuming that majority of their basic sciences is PBL, but i could be wrong.

I think that is wrong...I'm fairly confident that the first all PBL curriculum in the nation was the University of Missouri-Columbia. Literally everything is tied to PBL for the didactic years, and they are very proud that most schools have added bits and pieces of PBL here and there.

notdeadyet said:
This thread comes up once every couple of weeks. The most recent thread can be read here.

You can search on PBL and Problem to find other discussions from the past. The most recent thread came up with these schools for PBL:

Cornell
Drexel (pathway choice)
KU Med
Mizzou
Northwestern
Southern Illinois University (in-state only)
UCLA Geffen (PBL, organ system based)
Pitt (PBL, organ systems based)
Harvard
Rochester
University of Hawaii

Many schools are changing their curriculum to include more and more PBL/Case based learning. I would guess that by 2012 more than half of the US med schools will incorporate a significant amount of PBL into their curriculum.

USC will start this fall (or possibly next fall...dont remember...but they talk about it on their website)