University of Alberta, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vqanh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am a newbie. Just found out this forum yesterday.
I am applying for Pharmacy in UoA, Canada. Is anyone applying in this forum? I heard the Admission Committee met up on June 23rd or so. I have not heard anything from them yet. I am so nervoussssss!!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Weird.. you should've heard by now.

I'm also still awaiting my acceptance/rejection, but that's because I got my transcripts in a little late (with approval, of course) and they're still looking over my application. You might try calling them..

I got my transcript in late too because I took Spring school. But I am hopeless cuz my GPA is only 3.55 :oops: I only have some volunteer experience but I dont think it is counted much. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say your GPA is "hopeless"... I hear that last year, 3.6 meant you'd probably get in (and some people got in with lower GPAs in the 3.5's because of a high degree of experience). Was your volunteering directly related to pharmacy?

Seveneighty said:
I wouldn't say your GPA is "hopeless"... I hear that last year, 3.6 meant you'd probably get in (and some people got in with lower GPAs in the 3.5's because of a high degree of experience). Was your volunteering directly related to pharmacy?

The Coordinator told me that last year's the lowest GPA accepted is 3.6, and it is likely to climb up every year rather than go down.
I have some volunteer experience in a hospital in Vietnam last summer, about 120 hours in 2 weeks. What I did is to follow the nurses and doctors around, shadowed them and asked them questions.
What about you?

I'm in the mid 3.6's. No volunteer experience (yet) although trying to get some this summer, in a pharmacy. :)

Again, the coordinator told me something different.. that some people (well, at least one) with sub-3.6 GPA's got in because of superior prior pharmacy experience. I'm guessing it was more than volunteering; possibly a lot of years of working as a pharmacy tech.

Anyway, I hope we both get in. Stranger things have happened! :thumbup:

Have you heard anything new yet? I asked my friend who has a GPA of 3.5, some volunteer experience in Lister centre (not related to Pharmacy). She has not heard anything new, either. I can not bring myself to phone them cuz I am afraid they would say I get rejection :scared:
I am currently volunteering in the Pharmacy Department of a hospital in my country. Should I send another volunteer certificate to the Faculty? Dont know if they would accept it since it is kind of late now :(

I'm going to apply to UofA next year after I finish my BSc. I don't have a 3.6 but I hope having a BSc and experience helps me get in :(

Good luck!

vqanh said:
Should I send another volunteer certificate to the Faculty? Dont know if they would accept it since it is kind of late now :(
You could try. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I've had them add some stuff to my "file" after the deadline (like, a week or two afterwards). But if you do, send it courier because I was told the decision would come either this week or next.. Or you could just send the coordinator an e-mail and "update" her on your current volunteering, which she might then add to your application file.

You could call and find out what your application situation is (and how long you can expect ot wait). I'm sure you'd know by now if you were rejected. Also, I'd love to know what they tell you because I'm still waiting.. I hope to find out by the end of this week.

Hey, today the Coordinator told me that the letters will be mailed out next week. So we should receive the letter in the next week or two.

Checked Beartrack this afternoon.
I am out! :(

Yeah... i applied my decision is still pending....

I don't think i have much of a chance since i only have a gpa of like 3.4!
wicked eh?

Waht's up with U of A's requirements being so high?

vqanh said:
Checked Beartrack this afternoon.
I am out! :(
That's so sad that you didn't make it! I know that if you upgraded a few courses (if thats possible in your case), you'd have a great chance of making it next year.

So Beartracks updated for you right away? What exactly did it say? Mine still says "Incomplete" (although the missing transcripts have been successfully sent since). And I heard from someone that updating Beartracks takes months, so I'm surprised you learned so fast.

P.S. I wonder if it's a bad sign that the coordinator promises to contact you Monday regarding the pre-professional GPA they used in your application (which for me means the difference between acceptance and rejection, contingent on their usage of one course in their calculations). Seems like they'd prefer not to tell me the bad news personally -- if it is indeed bad news -- and have me wait for the letter instead.. I'm worried! Nervous! Anxious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is is true that senior students are looked at more favourably than 1st and 2nd year student? I am going into 2nd year next September.
I think Bio107 is the only course I can upgrade and I already did it. Bioch200 is really ****ty, dont want to upgrade it. I got As and A-s in Chem so it does not help much if I upgrade Chem, right?
To Seveneighty: My beartrack is updated daily I think. In June I had my Speak test score sent in in the morning and in the afternoon beartrack was already updated.

Is there an easier Pharm school in Canada so that I can apply? :(

Wow, your GPA is 3.55 and you're only a first-year? You've got it made. You're sure to get in next year if you improve on that and keep your overall grades up (and make sure you take 5 classes per term, because they'll look down on you if you take any less).

I know that in the U.S., they look most favorably at people who already have a four-year degree. I don't know about the U of A, but I'm sure a few years of university experience will put you ahead of a first-year with similar stats.

Guess what:
I was just told I'm on the 'alternate' list! I don't know whether I should be happy or not. How many people could possibly reject their admission offers at this point in time? :eek:

benzylique said:
Yeah... i applied my decision is still pending....
According to what, Beartracks?

You wouldn't per chance be on the alternate list, would you?

how come they told u that the lowest GPA accepted was 3.6?

i think my friend had 3.2 and he got in... but then maybe he had a lot of pharm exp.

3.2? I strongly doubt that.. Considering that GPA is the major component used to judge candidates, a 3.2 would put you out of the running immediately. In fact the faculty makes it clear (i.e. on their website) that you shouldn't even bother applying if you don't have at least a 3.5.

They also say that 3.7 is the "competitive" GPA.

From the FAQ (http://www.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/FAQ-Undergrad.htm#Q8)

Q18: What is the "cutoff" for applying to Pharmacy?

A: Applicants should have at least 3.5 out of 4.0 to apply. At present, the competitive average is approximately 3.7 out of 4.0.

Hey the 3.7 GPA is the the pre-re GPA or the accumulative GPA?
Your GPA is 3.6smth right? Is that the GPA from last school year or the GPA of pre-re courses? BTW, what is your exact GPA?
Seveneighty said:
3.2? I strongly doubt that.. Considering that GPA is the major component used to judge candidates, a 3.2 would put you out of the running immediately. In fact the faculty makes it clear (i.e. on their website) that you shouldn't even bother applying if you don't have at least a 3.5.

They also say that 3.7 is the "competitive" GPA.

From the FAQ (http://www.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/FAQ-Undergrad.htm#Q8)

Q18: What is the "cutoff" for applying to Pharmacy?

A: Applicants should have at least 3.5 out of 4.0 to apply. At present, the competitive average is approximately 3.7 out of 4.0.

It's the pre-req.. Accumulative is considered to a much lesser extent.
My pre-req. (science courses, etc) is 3.63 or so. Overall gpa for the last 2 years is about 3.75..

Seveneighty said:
According to what, Beartracks?

You wouldn't per chance be on the alternate list, would you?

Hey seveneighty...

I don't think i'm on the alternate list... I just thhink they haven't made a decision about me yet....
i have found out using beartrack!
my app is complete and says my decision on my app is still "pending"

Anyways if you guys got rejected and some on the alternate list with such high gpas.... i probably will too! ALthough i did finish my degree... and have tons of volunteer exp... (not specifically in pharm)....

Seveneighty said:
It's the pre-req.. Accumulative is considered to a much lesser extent.
My pre-req. (science courses, etc) is 3.63 or so. Overall gpa for the last 2 years is about 3.75..

What can I do now to upgrade my GPA? :(
What Chem courses did you take to upgrade Chem 102 and 263? I can not upgrade English cuz English111 is already very hard for me.

Hey guys,

I just called the administrator.... i'm on the waiting list as well.

benzylique said:
Hey guys,

I just called the administrator.... i'm on the waiting list as well.
Did you get any info about the waitlist? I don't know if I can handle 6 weeks of this.. :cool:

Nope, just hoping someone else does.. ;)

Is it true that U Alberta takes either A or A+ as a 4.0 on their GPA scale? Since you two seem to be undergrads there, I'm assuming you would know :) .

zohaibab said:
Is it true that U Alberta takes either A or A+ as a 4.0 on their GPA scale? Since you two seem to be undergrads there, I'm assuming you would know :) .
Yup, that's true. What about other universities? Do they do the same thing?

In Ontario, an A is usually a 3.8 or 3.9, while an A+ is a 4.0. Atleast according to University Of Toronto. Thanks for the help :) .

Apparently today is the big day for U of A waitlisters..

Update if any of you hear anything!

Seveneighty said:
Apparently today is the big day for U of A waitlisters..

Update if any of you hear anything!

You have anything new yet? ;)

Hey kids...

Great to find this forum... This is my first post, actually... Lot's of interesting topics. Just getting back into school mode for the coming year... Here we go with year 2... I'll be helping out with the orientation this year, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone... And looking forward to getting back with all the cool friends from last year.

If anyone has questions about 1st year, or about pharmacy at the U of A, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck to all, and I hope you're savoring this last bit of summer!

You have anything new yet? ;)
Yeah!

Last week a bunch of students got in off the wait list. I wasn't one of them. :(

But, they're supposedly going to look over the remaining waitlisters next week, and I'll apparently be hearing something from the coordinator. It's coming down to the wire! But how beautiful would it be if I got in last-minute?

Yeah!

Last week a bunch of students got in off the wait list. I wasn't one of them. :(

But, they're supposedly going to look over the remaining waitlisters next week, and I'll apparently be hearing something from the coordinator. It's coming down to the wire! But how beautiful would it be if I got in last-minute?

Cant believe that you havent got in with a 3.63 GPA. So to be safe what GPA should I get next year? I am afraid I would never get in :(( :(