Received NSU Secondary!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packamylase

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, my first secondary has arrived from NOVA. There is a lot of information there. If anyone else is in the same boat, please post questions here.

Here are the application questions for this Secondary:

Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician (e.g., family physician, relative, or close friend)? If so, please provide name, relationship to physician, institution and date of graduation and where they earned their osteopathic degree (in that order).

Please indicate which of the following applies. I grew up in a community of :
- Less than 10,000 people
- 10,000 to 50,000 people
- More than 50,000 people

If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

List your significant health care-related activities since graduation from high school. List dates of involvement, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

List all the osteopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, institution applied, interview, and status of application.

List all the allopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, insitution applied, interview and status of application.

If you have ever matriculated into an M.D. or a D.O. program, please explain reason(s) for leaving. Please use the following format: date, institution, status. If non-applicable, please type "none".

There are other questions as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! You were in the 1st batch of primary apps sent out, correct? June 26th or something I think on the 'mailing date'.

why do they ask for allopathic schools you applied to? I don't want them to see my list and think that I am using DO as a backup., when I am genuinely interested in the philosophy :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
heyimnick said:
Congratulations! You were in the 1st batch of primary apps sent out, correct? June 26th or something I think on the 'mailing date'.

Yes, I submitted mine June 1st.

DRKUBA said:
why do they ask for allopathic schools you applied to? I don't want them to see my list and think that I am using DO as a backup., when I am genuinely interested in the philosophy :mad:

I am in the same boat. Most schools, allopathic and osteopathic, ask this question, so I don't think it's a big deal, or particularly meaningful.

I didnt apply to NSU -- so no secondary for me.

but Congrats to you!! this is the second step of an intensely lonnnnnnng process.

I have received one DO secondary so far from TUNCOM out of the 15 schools that I applied to.

Hopefully I'll get more today. Now if the last 2 of my recommenders would hurry and get their freakin' letters done already I should be all set.

Packamylase said:
Ok, my first secondary has arrived from NOVA. There is a lot of information there. If anyone else is in the same boat, please post questions here.

Are you acquainted with an osteopathic physician (e.g., family physician, relative, or close friend)? If so, please provide name, relationship to physician, institution and date of graduation and where they earned their osteopathic degree (in that order).

If you were employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate or graduate school, please list dates of employment beginning with your current position along with title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

List your significant health care-related activities since graduation from high school. List dates of involvement, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

List all the osteopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, institution applied, interview, and status of application.

List all the allopathic medical schools to which you are applying this year or to which you have applied in the past. Please indicate the year you applied, the college(s), whether you received an interview and what is your current status with that college. Please use the following format: date applied, insitution applied, interview and status of application.

If you have ever matriculated into an M.D. or a D.O. program, please explain reason(s) for leaving. Please use the following format: date, institution, status. If non-applicable, please type "none".

What do you think this "Institution" refers to? The place where the physician works or from where did he graduate? If the latter, why do they ask this question again in the next part of the sentence?

Packamylase said:
What do you think this "Institution" refers to? The place where the physician works or from where did he graduate? If the latter, why do they ask this question again in the next part of the sentence?

I'm gonna have to say that institution refers to medical school, being that the next parameter is graduation date.

I received the NSU secondary today too and I am elated to say the least. Let's hope the rest come pouring in today!

Boner said:
I'm gonna have to say that institution refers to medical school, being that the next parameter is graduation date.

I received the NSU secondary today too and I am elated to say the least. Let's hope the rest come pouring in today!

Did you guys receive it in the mail, email, or is it available on a website?

DRKUBA said:
Did you guys receive it in the mail, email, or is it available on a website?

I received it this morning in an e-mail, with a link to the on-line secondary application and further admissions information.

Boner said:

Good Luck, Bone-ster!

I got my secondary yesterday. I sent my AACOMAS application 5/25/06 . I can't believe they ask what other schools I applied to!! Im applying to 7md and 5do. That's not fair.

Natatiap said:
I got my secondary yesterday. I sent my AACOMAS application 5/25/06 . I can't believe they ask what other schools I applied to!! Im applying to 7md and 5do. That's not fair.

Man, I have applied to 20 DO's and about 15 MD's. What if I don't tell them about my MD's, I don't think they can find out. They can totally find out DO, but I doubt they can do anything about MD??
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am such a borderline applicant regarding my GPA but my MCAT is totally fine. Thus I applied to like 52 schools in total. 38 MD and 14 DO. I don't know if I am going to tell them all of the MD schools just the ones that I think I might submit the secondary too.

AlberttheGator said:
I am such a borderline applicant regarding my GPA but my MCAT is totally fine. Thus I applied to like 52 schools in total. 38 MD and 14 DO. I don't know if I am going to tell them all of the MD schools just the ones that I think I might submit the secondary too.
same here, but the thing is, would they look down on us??

bunnybear said:
same here, but the thing is, would they look down on us??

A majority of the applicants to osteopathic medical schools are applying to allopathic and osteopathic schools. So, you aren't alone in that regard.

In the secondaries and interviews, you will need a compelling answer for why osteopathic medicine.

Packamylase said:
A majority of the applicants to osteopathic medical schools are applying to allopathic and osteopathic schools. So, you aren't alone in that regard.

In the secondaries and interviews, you will need a compelling answer for why osteopathic medicine.

What's the avg MCAT and GPA for NSU?
Do you guys know whether they value GPA more or MCAT?
I really want to get in to NSU, because I just have a lot of family in FL, and it would be so nice if I can go there and be with them. Any suggestions for me to increase my chances of getting an interview?

hi guys-

i applied MD/DO last year and was also frustrated with the questions about what schools i was applying to. for some of the applications, i listed the DO schools i applied to and listed "no final decisions made" or something of the sort for the MD schools. i did, however, list MD schools for some of the secondaries. when it came time to hand out interviews, it didn't matter what i put on the secondary, i was invited to interview at each and every DO school i applied to (6 in total). at the interview, you'll have an opportunity to explain why you are applying MD/DO.

they should (and for me, they did) understand that you are looking to be a physician and you want to go to whatever school is the best fit for YOU, whether that be an MD or DO school.

good luck!!

LT2 said:
hi guys-

i applied MD/DO last year and was also frustrated with the questions about what schools i was applying to. for some of the applications, i listed the DO schools i applied to and listed "no final decisions made" or something of the sort for the MD schools. i did, however, list MD schools for some of the secondaries. when it came time to hand out interviews, it didn't matter what i put on the secondary, i was invited to interview at each and every DO school i applied to (6 in total). at the interview, you'll have an opportunity to explain why you are applying MD/DO.

they should (and for me, they did) understand that you are looking to be a physician and you want to go to whatever school is the best fit for YOU, whether that be an MD or DO school.

good luck!!

What were the 6 DO Schools that u went to, and do you mind telling us your GPA and MCAT (totally optional)?? :D

Packamylase said:

What were your stats, if you don't mind?

bunnybear said:
What were the 6 DO Schools that u went to, and do you mind telling us your GPA and MCAT (totally optional)?? :D

western, Touro-LV, Touro-CA, UNECOM, AZCOM, PCOM. check your pm box for more info...

Regarding the Evaluator forms, do we need to send those to all the people that wrote letters of recommendations even if we have a pre-med advisory committee sending a composite letter?

Is this common practice? What other schools do this?

What a pain!

I got mine too!!! YAY... My 2nd secondary, TCOM, NOVACOM. I bet in the next few weeks everyone elses will be coming out too. They need to get on the ball!

Packamylase said:
Regarding the Evaluator forms, do we need to send those to all the people that wrote letters of recommendations even if we have a pre-med advisory committee sending a composite letter?

Is this common practice? What other schools do this?

What a pain!

No...the premed committee letter is sufficient...

DrMikeyLu said:
No...the premed committee letter is sufficient...

Thank you, MikeLu, D.O. My D.O. LOR is sending a letter separately. Will I need to get this form to him?

Packamylase said:
Thank you, MikeLu, D.O. My D.O. LOR is sending a letter separately. Will I need to get this form to him?

USUALLY, not always, but TYPICALLY the eval. forms are OPTIONAL and are only there if you can not get a letter from someone who actually KNOWS YOU! Then you are supposed to sit or shadow a D.O. for a while and then that D.O. will ask u a series of questions to evaluate your preparedness in his or her opinion and fill out that form.

A letter is a MUCH more personal and appropriate tool because letters of recommendation speak to certain qualities that the people recommending you have observed that make you "unique" or "special" and therefore desirable to the schools. One of the DO schools says under their "Admission Tips" that a letter from an MD who knows you well is preferable to a letter from a DO that has known you for 20 minutes just to fill out your evaluation.

Hope that helps.

CuttinEmUp said:
USUALLY, not always, but TYPICALLY the eval. forms are OPTIONAL and are only there if you can not get a letter from someone who actually KNOWS YOU! Then you are supposed to sit or shadow a D.O. for a while and then that D.O. will ask u a series of questions to evaluate your preparedness in his or her opinion and fill out that form.

A letter is a MUCH more personal and appropriate tool because letters of recommendation speak to certain qualities that the people recommending you have observed that make you "unique" or "special" and therefore desirable to the schools. One of the DO schools says under their "Admission Tips" that a letter from an MD who knows you well is preferable to a letter from a DO that has known you for 20 minutes just to fill out your evaluation.

Hope that helps.

Ok. Thank you.

I was understanding it that Nova wanted the evaluations on their OWN forms, but that must be incorrect.

"The evaluation forms are provided for the convenience of the
evaluators. Evaluators may use either form or their letterhead
for letters of evaluations. Please have your evaluators return
their appraisals to the address at the bottom of the evaluation
form." -- from NSU website

So, you're right. It's optional.

Packamylase said:

Lol..im not a D.O. yet...in 2010 tho =) ...what i did was tell the DO doc that i shadowed to send the LOR to the premed committee...it makes things a lot easier since everything is in one bundle...NSU tends to lose things...so anything that can prevent that should be used...

Although my experiences have been nothing but smooth sailing...(just heard stories from future classmates)

Did anyone ever figure out what this question actually wants when they ask institution and date of graduation?

If they want where they graduated from, why ask twice? Damn, messing with emotions and now my head! Maybe it's a test.

BTW, sorry for being off topic, but funny how the American Board of Pediatrics has the DO I shadowed listed as an MD.

Packamylase said:
Good Luck, Bone-ster!

When are you planning on submitting your secondary, Pack? I think I've got everything in order and ready for submission tonight!

medschoolsoon said:
Did anyone ever figure out what this question actually wants when they ask institution and date of graduation?

If they want where they graduated from, why ask twice? Damn, messing with emotions and now my head! Maybe it's a test.

My bad, I read the question wrong. I'd fill out their place of work as institution. It would be redundant to include where they graduated twice.

Boner said:
When are you planning on submitting your secondary, Pack? I think I've got everything in order and ready for submission tonight!

Probably tomorrow night. This is pretty exciting!

Boner said:

Oh man, I just tried to go and submit my application, but it closes until 3:30am. Well, tomorrow night, my NSU application will be out the electronic door.

gl guys..NSU is an amazing school..you will definately be impressed when yall get interview invites :)

dang, so i guess us aug mcatters have to wait till end of oct before we can expect secondaries :(

oh well...

For NSU, and probably for every other school you apply to, make sure you keep records of everything you do, like dates sent in, photocopies, etc. When NSU receives your LOR, you will receive an email from the processing service. I wouldn't delete those - at my interview I was told that one of my LOR was missing, but I remembered having the right amount from my processing service emails, so I had to talk to them there and got that fixed. It saves your recommenders from having to do unneccesary work.

Good luck everybody, I remember being somewhat ambivalent to NSU pre interview, but once I visited the school I fell in love :)

When we open the nsu supplementary what is the username?? the password is given in the email.

Natatiap said:
When we open the nsu supplementary what is the username?? the password is given in the email.

The password and username should be included in the e-mail.

I made this comment on another post but my email for a secondary had the password and no username....trust me I checked 4 or 5 times. read and reread. I guess I have to wait til monday to call, that sucks

FYI on the "List all of the schools." They are likely to ask you why you have applied to so many schools, but a good applicant is a good applicant. It is not going to hurt your liklihood of being accepted---just MAKE SURE you know enough information to be able to answer the questions about the philosophy/history of Osteopathic Medicine.

That being said, I would list them all. I doubt that the school cares so much to check if you are telling the truth, but I'm sure it wouldn't look good on the whole "Professionalism" thing if the found out that you purposefully omitted listing all of your MD schools. I surely wouldn't reccomend someone for admission if I knew they had lied on their application.

hi all,

For those of you who applied to both allopathy and osteopathy, did you use the same personal statement for both?

Thanks for your help!

musicDocwannabe said:
hi all,

For those of you who applied to both allopathy and osteopathy, did you use the same personal statement for both?

Thanks for your help!

I did but I added maybe a sentence or two about the osteopathic approach and why osteopathic medicine in specific for my DO personal statement. I dont know what every1 else did

Packamylase said:
I am in the same boat. Most schools, allopathic and osteopathic, ask this question, so I don't think it's a big deal, or particularly meaningful.

No, this is not entirely accurate. At my Nova interview, they specifically brought up other schools I was applying to (i applied to only 2 allopathics) and why/if Nova and Osteopathic would be my choice out of all of them. Thats definitely a question you want to have an answer ready for in case your interviewer asks. If you read interview feedback, you'll see that this isn't an uncommon question either.

what do they mean by level of responsibility? I put what I was considered i.e. EMT, medical assistant, volunteer.. but if thats the title then what is the level of responsibility? How long should each entry be?!? PLEASE HELP!

mzztiffany said:
what do they mean by level of responsibility? I put what I was considered i.e. EMT, medical assistant, volunteer.. but if thats the title then what is the level of responsibility? How long should each entry be?!? PLEASE HELP!

tiffany, I wouldn't be too worried with NSU's secondary, it is one of the most straightforward ones and you can basically answer most of the questions by referring to your AACOMAS primary.

for level of responsibility I think you can just give a short description of your duties when appropriate (when it is not obviously clear),

For example if you are a hospital volunteer, they may want to know if you are stocking equipment, filing papers, wheeling patients around or more?

If you are an EMT perhaps you can say how many years you have been, about how many hours do you work a week, something to distinguish the people who are new and just are riding along at this point to gain some training vs. the people who know exactly what to do in any emergency situation. Just be straightforward and honest, I don't think they expect any applicant to be the most experienced individual in every task they partake in :)

THANKS...helped alot

TerpDO said:
tiffany, I wouldn't be too worried with NSU's secondary, it is one of the most straightforward ones and you can basically answer most of the questions by referring to your AACOMAS primary.

for level of responsibility I think you can just give a short description of your duties when appropriate (when it is not obviously clear),

For example if you are a hospital volunteer, they may want to know if you are stocking equipment, filing papers, wheeling patients around or more?

If you are an EMT perhaps you can say how many years you have been, about how many hours do you work a week, something to distinguish the people who are new and just are riding along at this point to gain some training vs. the people who know exactly what to do in any emergency situation. Just be straightforward and honest, I don't think they expect any applicant to be the most experienced individual in every task they partake in :)