U. Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docrine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have been admitted to university of minnesota and university of michigan

could somebody tell me about the program in minnesota, which i am planning to attend as u.Michigan fees are prohibitive?

Members don't see this ad.

what program?

Both in general epidemiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, epi. Great. MPH or PhD?

MPH in general epidemiology. I have applied to U penn and got an acceptence but I have no idea about the course and the there also the cost is prohibitive. I have a three year experience in clinical research ( phase 3, multi- centric ) could it be of any help in securing a job in one or the other place?
The only place affordable is Missouri state university almost half that of Minnesota, as i have calculated but being a smaller one the chances of a visa reject is very high. Thank you in advance.

Well, since you plan to attend the UofMN anyway, I'll keep my response brief as you'll see for yourself soon enough. The University of Minnesota School of Public Health is a Top 10 SPH, is well regarded, and does a solid job preparing its students for careers in public health. Minneapolis is a great city to live in, and the SPH has close ties with the Minnesota Dept of Health, which is considered a national leader in many areas. The SPH is also part of one of the largest academic health centers in the country, affording students the opportunity to collaborate across multiple disciplines.

I've never heard the term "general" epi before, but I assume you use it to distinguish epi from a clinical research major.

Not sure what you mean by one or the other place (Minnesota or Missouri?). I'm not the best person to talk to about career prospects for MPH grads, as I went straight into med school.

As someone applying as a way to make my app to med schools better (in addition to wanting an MPH for eventual healthcare policy work)...

Did you find the program helpful in terms of accomplishing your goals?

DrMichelle said:
As someone applying as a way to make my app to med schools better (in addition to wanting an MPH for eventual healthcare policy work)...

Did you find the program helpful in terms of accomplishing your goals?

I found the epi MPH very useful. In fact, it's critical to the research I'm doing now and the previous project I did for the first three years of medical school. My MPH is having and will continue to have a major impact on what I do in life. Did it help me get into med school? Hard to say, but I'm sure it helped a little. I'm not sure an MPH is the best way to get into medical school, and I know many public health people are wary of those trying to use the MPH as a "backdoor" into medical school.

Will an MPH in health policy be useful for you? I can't say, as I'm not a health policy guy and I know nothing about your situation. But if "eventually" means more than a 5 years, then I would probably not do the MPH now.