Washington University in St. Louis Mail invitation to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R-35

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else received an invitation in the mail to apply to Washington University in St. Louis? Im trying to decide if I should apply there with my stats, since their MCAT averages are soo high. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

jbl16 said:
Has anyone received an invitation in the mail to apply to Washington University in St. Louis. Im trying to decide if I should apply there with my stats, since their MCAT averages are soo high. Opinions?

Univ of Washington doesn't = Washington Univ.

:)

I'd go for it if though!

:luck:

I got one too. I don't think that med schools need to recruit.

Members don't see this ad :)
they send these things every year to people who get like a 35+. if you apply there, do it because it is a ridiculously good academic center and you are interested in that sort of education. getting an interview there, if there is nothing spectacular on your app, probably requires a 34 or 35 and a reasonably high gpa.

there secondary is relatively cheap and it has no essays

so why not?

modelslashactor said:
they send these things every year to people who get like a 35+. if you apply there, do it because it is a ridiculously good academic center and you are interested in that sort of education. getting an interview there, if there is nothing spectacular on your app, probably requires a 34 or 35 and a reasonably high gpa.
I probably got the invite since I am an URM, my mcat is 32 though.

I think that Wash U sends these invites out to most people, trying to bulk up their application numbers, which in turn allows them to reject more people, making it more "prestigious." Apply if you want, but not simply because they sent you a letter, I think it means nothing :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got one too. But the really funny part was that someone messed up and put the wrong form in. the envelope is adressed to me but the letter has the wrong name on it :laugh: They musy have pulled the wrong one of the stack since it is close to my last name alphabetically.

WUSTL We Usually Send Thousands of Letters
Great school, crappy location, doesn't hurt to apply

Pinkertinkle said:
Great school, crappy location, doesn't hurt to apply

:laugh: Yeah, sounds about right. I actually got mine in the mail a couple days AFTER I had submitted my secondary. Way to check on these things guys. But other than that, go for it, it can't hurt. I think they were the easiest secondary I had.

Pinkertinkle said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They were amongst the worst offenders when it came to mail in high school too.

Apply only if you think you have a chance. Don't do it just because the school wants you to. WashU likes to encourage many to apply so they can lower their yield (#acceptances/#applicants).

Also, I notice you are URM. The school recruits URM pretty aggressively, don't know how much being URM itself will help during the admissions process itself, but they do send out letters to alot of URM to up their minority numbers. I knew a Afri-Amer girl who was aggressively recruited for the school despite the fact her numbers were way below the school's matriculants. She was bewildered since her MCAT was not even 30 and this school whose avg was a 35 kept asking her to consider them. In the end, it's going to be your application that will get you an acceptance, apply if you are interested and think you have a shot, or if you really want to go to the school. Don't do it because they send a nice letter asking you to.

Members don't see this ad :)
This happens every year so I'll say it now.

WashU has to compete with schools on the coasts and people who are not from the midwest/never been to St Louis/etc really do write it off because of the location. Honestly I don't see how St Louis is any worse than Baltimore or Pittsburgh, or Philly...but that's another discussion. Point is, even with the letters, we get fewer applicants than similarly ranked schools on the coasts. So the letters go out as a recruiting tool and I really see nothing that wrong with it, save this...

Getting the letter does not guarantee an interview or an acceptance. So now you can't act like you haven't been told. People post every year mad that they got this letter, applied, and then didn't get an interview. I know it kind of seems like getting the letter means you have a better than average chance, but remember that they don't see your whole AMCAS and send out the letter, they just see your MCAT. Don't fill out a 2ndary just because you think you'll get an interview. Only apply if you're interested in the school--which I have to say is absolutely fantastic and I honestly can't imagine a higher quality medical education. Best of luck to all.

velo said:
This happens every year so I'll say it now.

WashU has to compete with schools on the coasts and people who are not from the midwest/never been to St Louis/etc really do write it off because of the location. Honestly I don't see how St Louis is any worse than Baltimore or Pittsburgh, or Philly...but that's another discussion. Point is, even with the letters, we get fewer applicants than similarly ranked schools on the coasts. So the letters go out as a recruiting tool and I really see nothing that wrong with it, save this...

Getting the letter does not guarantee an interview or an acceptance. So now you can't act like you haven't been told. People post every year mad that they got this letter, applied, and then didn't get an interview. I know it kind of seems like getting the letter means you have a better than average chance, but remember that they don't see your whole AMCAS and send out the letter, they just see your MCAT. Don't fill out a 2ndary just because you think you'll get an interview. Only apply if you're interested in the school--which I have to say is absolutely fantastic and I honestly can't imagine a higher quality medical education. Best of luck to all.

I agree with both points.

If it's any consolation for the location, it should be noted that WashU is in my favorite part of St. Louis (forest park)....great if you're a fan of the outdoors. There are always fun things to do (fair, zoo, hikes etc) and it's a beautiful place.

A lot has been said about WashU and sending out mail. Point is, they have trouble attracting top applicants from the schools on the coasts, so they advertise far and wide.

If you think you've got a shot (which I think you do with your GPA and URM status), then go for it. Nothing really to lose.
-Dr. P.

yet still the posts will come complaining that they got this letter but didn't get an interview/acceptance/fruit basket/what have you

velo said:
yet still the posts will come complaining that they got this letter but didn't get an interview/acceptance/fruit basket/what have you

Wait.....there were fruit baskets??? :p

LauraPaz said:
Wait.....there were fruit baskets??? :p

Yup, they were worth about $42k annually for four years but were only handed out to a few people... don't feel bad, I didn't get one either :rolleyes:

Caristra said:
Yeah, I got one too. But the really funny part was that someone messed up and put the wrong form in. the envelope is adressed to me but the letter has the wrong name on it :laugh: They musy have pulled the wrong one of the stack since it is close to my last name alphabetically.

I just got one in the mail. WashU St.Louis no mistake there. I'd go there despite their US News boosted status, if only because Mallinckrodt's there.

Darkshooter326 said:
I think that Wash U sends these invites out to most people, trying to bulk up their application numbers, which in turn allows them to reject more people, making it more "prestigious." Apply if you want, but not simply because they sent you a letter, I think it means nothing :rolleyes:

I would have to agree. At least thats the intent when undergraduate institutions do it.....

CaramelDlite said:
I would have to agree. At least thats the intent when undergraduate institutions do it.....

I have a feeling that with medical schools, schools that know they're good don't send out mails.

Got mine and I already submitted the secondary a bit ago.

durfen said:
I have a feeling that with medical schools, schools that know they're good don't send out mails.
If WashU was in northern California they would never ever send a letter. Unfortunately they are in the Lou, with Nelly, so they need to do some self promotion.

Caristra said:

This happened to me too! The name on the letter was of another girl from my school. Guess someone at the office was careless. :laugh:

Sorry but that odd feeling that you are having trouble identifying is a Washington University admission office worker fishing for a secondary fee in your wallet. Washington University at Saint Louis is one of the worst number ***** schools around. They solicit a secondary from anyone with reasonable MCAT numbers to help their budget. Thousands of these letters are sent each year. Unless you have an exceptional MCAT score and a specific desire to attend that institution, keep your money and tell them to bugger off.

jbl16 said:
Has anyone else received an invitation in the mail to apply to Washington University in St. Louis? Im trying to decide if I should apply there with my stats, since their MCAT averages are soo high. Opinions?

Learfan said:
Sorry but that odd feeling that you are having trouble identifying is a Washington University admission office worker fishing for a secondary fee in your wallet. Washington University at Saint Louis is one of the worst number ***** schools around. They solicit a secondary from anyone with reasonable MCAT numbers to help their budget. Thousands of these letters are sent each year. Unless you have an exceptional MCAT score and a specific desire to attend that institution, keep your money and tell them to bugger off.
Wash U has the easiest secondary ever and of all the high ranked schools is practically the only one that offers admissions on a rolling basis. 60 bucks for a chance to be IN at a top ranked school by October? Im sure money's been spent for things worth A LOT less.

man i wish i could invest like them - send out a $2 glossy brochure, get back $60 (plus the hopes and dreams of a neurotic premed, which is pretty much priceless).

Reactions: 1 user
etf said:
man i wish i could invest like them - send out a $2 glossy brochure, get back $60 (plus the hopes and dreams of a neurotic premed, which is pretty much priceless).
Yup, got one of these too. You should be getting something from the UTMB MSTP as well recruiting you.

Learfan said:

wash u is looking to make money through secondary fees? how do you know this? they aren't exactly broke, you know.

I got one of those from Washington University as well. Make sure that you have the prereqs or can take them before matriculation. They require a year of calculus including differential equations and I believe that they also require calc-based physics. Not 100% sure, but you'll want to check into it before spending the time and money to apply.

Anastasis said:
Yup, got one of these too. You should be getting something from the UTMB MSTP as well recruiting you.

Yeah, I got the mailer from UTMB too. I'm not applying to either program, but reading the letters praising you for your MCAT score makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it? :) j/k

Learfan said:

Ahh yes...as predictable as the rising of the sun...if someone starts a WashU thread, Learfan will come around and call the school a worthless greedy numbers *****.

Did someone at WashU run over your dog? Or did they just reject you?

Anastasis said:

Got UTMB too. UTMB is officially now one of my backups. Easy to get in, plus research school == me applying.

Learfan said:

LOL! Considering that Wash U is consistently one of the top 5 medical schools in the country in receiving NIH grants, getting 10,000 applicants to pay $50 is hardly anything to get excited about, when many schools who have lower NIH numbers take the same approach.

Why does it seem when there is any thread on Wash U, there's the obligatory post that has some sort of ax to grind against the school?

DoubleU said:
I got one of those from Washington University as well. Make sure that you have the prereqs or can take them before matriculation. They require a year of calculus including differential equations and I believe that they also require calc-based physics. Not 100% sure, but you'll want to check into it before spending the time and money to apply.

Negative on that year of calc based physics thing. You don't need it to get in, I am sure.

abj said:
Why does it seem when there is any thread on Wash U, there's the obligatory post that has some sort of ax to grind against the school?

Because people can't put up the type of numbers that are average at Wash U, so it's a defense mechanism to rag on Wash U.

Think it through.

Are you being actively recruited by other medical schools?

I think not.

When I applied in a previous cycle the only school that solicited an application from me was Washington. I believe it was based upon my MCAT scores which were VR 10, PS 13, BS 13 for a total of 36S. It is an easy way to get some additional bucks in the door to finance their admissions office making it self supporting. Like a previous poster said, spend a couple of bucks on a worthless brochure and send this candy to desperate young people under a lot of stress for $60. As a former business leader I admire such a profit making machine. As a person, I consider the tactic a bit cheap and sleazy. If you wish to apply, go for it and good luck.

ND2005 said:
Ahh yes...as predictable as the rising of the sun...if someone starts a WashU thread, Learfan will come around and call the school a worthless greedy numbers *****.

Did someone at WashU run over your dog? Or did they just reject you?

BozoSparky said:
wash u is looking to make money through secondary fees? how do you know this? they aren't exactly broke, you know.

well, they're trying to make money because they are an educational institution in the united states. i know high schools (in sf) that woo 8th graders with brochures just to get their $100 app fee (which their parents will gladly pay) and chuck the application in the trash.

every school is looking to make money. washingto is no different.

but i think the real reason for Wash U sending the letters is to get their name out. They even ask you in the secondary 'how did you hear about us?" and you check all that apply. They are VERY concerned about getting their name out in every way possible. Think about how few premeds know about WU compared to Harvard, JHU, Stanford etc. Who knew it existed before looking up usnews? its just a way to survive.

By the way if they were really money hungry they could nearly double their secondary fee and get fee complaints.

Learfan said:
Think it through.

Are you being actively recruited by other medical schools?

I think not.

When I applied in a previous cycle the only school that solicited an application from me was Washington. I believe it was based upon my MCAT scores which were VR 10, PS 13, BS 13 for a total of 36S. It is an easy way to get some additional bucks in the door to finance their admissions office making it self supporting. Like a previous poster said, spend a couple of bucks on a worthless brochure and send this candy to desperate young people under a lot of stress for $60. As a former business leader I admire such a profit making machine. As a person, I consider the tactic a bit cheap and sleazy. If you wish to apply, go for it and good luck.

i think they want to build a great class and because of their location and competition for applicants with other top 5 research schools, they decided to actively recruit. their fee is no different from any other school. so, i don't think it's a big deal...i hardly find it a diabolical plan to ruin lives and make a fortune.

just look at their app nubers

3000 apps for a top-10 school is unheard of. Of course they want more.

St. Louis is located in a not so hot city as compared to the other top med schools. WashU suffers from an inferiority complex as a result and actively recruit and send out brochures in order to get their names out. I live in the midwest and there are biology majors here who've never heard of the school (at least one premed asked me if WashU was any good as a med school :D). So I don't begrudge a school that is trying to make sure people are aware that their school exists, or a school that actively tries to up their application. The school is trying to play ball in a very competitive field.

NonTradMed said:
St. Louis is located in a not so hot city as compared to the other top med schools.

I disagree, St Louis is unbearably hot

velo said:
I disagree, St Louis is unbearably hot

Enjoying the triple digit temperature, are you? :D

so since this thread is already off topic enough, hopefully no one will mind a random WashU question: anybody know when they start interviewing, or for that matter send out their first batch of invites? seems like there are some insiders on this thread.

modelslashactor said:
so since this thread is already off topic enough, hopefully no one will mind a random WashU question: anybody know when they start interviewing, or for that matter send out their first batch of invites? seems like there are some insiders on this thread.

I interviewed in mid December. At the lunch was a member of the adcom, who said they had already had two meetings to discuss applicants before my round of interviewees got there. I would understood these to be monthly meetings, and would therefore hazard a guess that they start interviewing around October. If anyone else interviewed earlier (oh knows more specifics), please correct me. I know they go later than me too though, as I was told some decisions aren't made until April.

EDIT: They also send out their invites by snail mail, if I recall, so don't expect immediate turnaround. Although they are really good about letting you pick the date that works best for you, so it's a trade-off.