Anyone else denied payment on tufts secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crisv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried paying tuft's hearty $105 on their secondary website, but both my credit cards (one visa, one mastercard) were declined. I received an email after each payment attempt:

"Your application fee payment has been Declined. Please resubmit payment as soon as possible."

Has this happened to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

is the secondary complete? Or are you trying to submit without the application being certified and complete?

i paid without being certified so i doubt that's the prob.

Members don't see this ad :)
also declined x's 2 credit cards???

narc said:
is the secondary complete? Or are you trying to submit without the application being certified and complete?

If you try to certify:

"Certification
You must submit your application fee before you certify"

How can tufts not want my money? lol

crisv said:
I tried paying tuft's hearty $105 on their secondary website, but both my credit cards (one visa, one mastercard) were declined. I received an email after each payment attempt:

"Your application fee payment has been Declined. Please resubmit payment as soon as possible."

Did they raise the fee this year? MSAR has them down as $105.

well i was denied x2 with mastercard and visa
Who knows what the deal is

do you think your card has to have the same billing address as the preferred address you put on amcas, because they sure dont ask for your address when you submit payment

narc said:
do you think your card has to have the same billing address as the preferred address you put on amcas, because they sure dont ask for your address when you submit payment

Nope my card is my school address while my preferred address is my home address...

what browser are people using.. i have tried with firefox and ie

i bet it is because everyone is applying all at once- probably crashed some server somewhere :oops:

*sunny* said:
what browser are people using.. i have tried with firefox and ie

i bet it is because everyone is applying all at once- probably crashed some server somewhere :oops:

firefox --> denied.
Didnt try IE

narc said:
firefox --> denied.
Didnt try IE

I tried both IE and Safari. I don't think it's a browser issue.

oo i forgot to mention i used a debit card, not credit. no idea how that affects things...

Members don't see this ad :)
Robizzle said:
oo i forgot to mention i used a debit card, not credit. no idea how that affects things...

Tried debit also.
Prize to the person who figures out this bull$hit

I used no dashes and my legs werent crossed when i submitted didnt work.....lame

Trying with MasterCard, denied.

juiceman311 said:
Trying with MasterCard, denied.

MasterCard denied, Visa accepted.
I was using Firefox.

I was just on the phone with the MC people trying to figure out why when I stumbled on this thread :)

add me to the declined list...last year tufts had a paper application, so I think this is a bug with the new online system they got going

I had the same problem with UVA and they made me send a damn check. Anyone else have problems there?

One VISA denied, one VISA accepted with Safari. Not sure what's going on...

i really hope i am getting declined- otherwise i owe tufts about $3,000.. that would be a fun bill to dispute!

The first credit card I tried was rejected, which I've had happen before because the address listed on AMCAS is my school address but my billing address for my credit card is my parents house. I tried a different credit card with the same billing address as listed on AMCAS and it went through fine. You might need to change your billing address which can be done online in 2 mins thru your credit card co.

That's not why. My addresses are all the same and DECLINED. I felt oddly embarrassed- reminded me of that American Express commercial from back when.

Hkoser said:
The first credit card I tried was rejected, which I've had happen before because the address listed on AMCAS is my school address but my billing address for my credit card is my parents house. I tried a different credit card with the same billing address as listed on AMCAS and it went through fine. You might need to change your billing address which can be done online in 2 mins thru your credit card co.

just a thought...

when I paid my SLU fee, which uses this same exact system for their secondary, i first used no spaces and i was denied. i then went back and inserted the spaces, and was accepted.

in the comments about the app thing, i said they should specify that spaces are necessary.....have you guys tried that?

i haven't done my tufts app yet, so i can't say what will happen....tomorrow

question about their essays...

for number 1, i assume that they are seriously asking for a "compelling reason", and that i can't just write a "why i like Tufts" essay...correct? in which case, i have no real reason like family or "circumstance/history", so i guess that will be a blank if not a "why Tufts" essay

number 2, as i supposed to take this as a "if i am not caucasian, i may answer" essay? and being white, i can't answer....or can i take it to mean "i can diversify the student body in other ways"....ways that i can't think of right now :rolleyes:

anyway, if number one is for a "real" reason, and number to is asking for "race", then i will have a blank secondary, and that would just be terrible :(

I was denied as well after trying with a card whose limit that I know I had not reached! I simply used another credit card (both were Visas) and it went through....the addresses/info for each of the two cards were the same, probably just something wrong with their website.

crisv said:

C.P. Jones said:
just a thought...

when I paid my SLU fee, which uses this same exact system for their secondary, i first used no spaces and i was denied. i then went back and inserted the spaces, and was accepted.

in the comments about the app thing, i said they should specify that spaces are necessary.....have you guys tried that?

i haven't done my tufts app yet, so i can't say what will happen....tomorrow

Name (as it appears on credit card):
Account Number:
(no spaces, no dashes)

On SLU I'm pretty sure I didn't use spaces either. I tried it with spaces on this one and it doesn't work either. I also tried disabling pop up blocking and accepting cookies to all sites... No luck. All of this is on safari.

gapotts2003 said:
Name (as it appears on credit card):
Account Number:
(no spaces, no dashes)

On SLU I'm pretty sure I didn't use spaces either. I tried it with spaces on this one and it doesn't work either. I also tried disabling pop up blocking and accepting cookies to all sites... No luck. All of this is on safari.

alright, now i believe you guys :rolleyes: this is really dumb.....and like someone said above, i can't wait to see my credit card bill with TUSM written over three pages

I just used my parents' card and it worked

both mine and my moms were mastercards

Internet Explorer

C.P. Jones said:
question about their essays...

for number 1, i assume that they are seriously asking for a "compelling reason", and that i can't just write a "why i like Tufts" essay...correct? in which case, i have no real reason like family or "circumstance/history", so i guess that will be a blank if not a "why Tufts" essay

number 2, as i supposed to take this as a "if i am not caucasian, i may answer" essay? and being white, i can't answer....or can i take it to mean "i can diversify the student body in other ways"....ways that i can't think of right now :rolleyes:

anyway, if number one is for a "real" reason, and number to is asking for "race", then i will have a blank secondary, and that would just be terrible :(
I'm leaving them blank. I have no compelling reason to apply to Tufts, other than I like Boston. And I'm also caucasian, not especially diverse in any way, so I'm leaving that blank as well. They say if the answer is "no" that is perfectly acceptable, so I hope they're not lying about that.

In your status, have your LoR been received yet? Mine says it has not, but all my other schools have them already. I don't know if I should tell my committee to resend them.

C.P. Jones said:
In your status, have your LoR been received yet? Mine says it has not, but all my other schools have them already. I don't know if I should tell my committee to resend them.

mine hasn't been received yet either. it's only been out for like 1 or 2 business days dude :D

I just submitted the payment and had no problem. I used a mastercard, with IE as my browser. And I don't think it's a problem with the preferred address/billing address, because mine were different (the billing address isn't even listed on my app anywhere).

Okay, it still wont work for me.

Ive tried:

################
#### #### #### ####
####-####-####-####

Robizzle said:
mine hasn't been received yet either. it's only been out for like 1 or 2 business days dude :D

:laugh: it feels like i've been holding onto this one for a long time...either way, i already asked to have it resent :rolleyes:

juiceman311 said:
Okay, it still wont work for me.

Ive tried:

################
#### #### #### ####
####-####-####-####

what banks are all your cards using?

citi, did not work
capital one, did work

I'm using Citi.
It's the only credit card that I use. I have a Visa card that's part of my Washington Mutual debit card, but I have never used it (not even as a debit, it just decorates my wallet).

maybe you can get someone else's card to use and just pay them cash later

I have tried 4 Visas and 2 mastercards and none of them worked. any suggestions?

gapotts2003 said:
I find it hard to believe that it is the bank that is the issue... But my credit card company is citi...

Tried Citi VISA + Mastercard
Tried Mastercard Washington Mutual
All denied

I tried a Visa and an MC. Something is wrong with the site.

Has anyone been able to contact Tufts to figure out the problem?

fldhkybnva said:
Has anyone been able to contact Tufts to figure out the problem?

I e-mailed admissions and they said they were having tech difficulties with their site

I tried my card again with Firefox instead of IE and the first one went through without any problems. So maybe try experimenting with different browsers?

ualilmissy said:
I tried my card again with Firefox instead of IE and the first one went through without any problems. So maybe try experimenting with different browsers?

Just got it to work also.
Firefox + Citi Visa + all lowercase letters for the name = submitted $105 :)